mtbr member
    Aug 2018

Nomad 3 vs 4 linkage (also Capra)

Hi, as you probably know the nomad 3 has a regressive and then a progressive suspension, but the new nomad is slightly progressive and almost linear. So how is it that according to another guy that the new nomad rides smoother over bumps, and is there any major differences compared to the old one in suspension feel. Also how would the new nomad fair to the Capra cf pro race.
    cheers

mtbr member
    ^^ Probably because you're basing how harsh a bike rides by only looking at spring rate and not taking into account the shock damping tune? Personally I think those videos that guy puts out trying to show how one bike is "better" than another because of spring rates and leverage curves but really tells you NOTHING on how the bike will actually ride or how the suspension kinematics affect the ride IMHO. Having said that, they can be useful if you're deciding on a different shock or tune.

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

Elitest thrill junkie
    The old Nomad curve was pretty wacky and the new one looks progressive, not linear, should pair well with a coil shock. With an air shock it might be a bit harsher early on and deep in the travel. The III was a crazy regressive curve for most of the travel, overall progressive, but going in the opposite direction for much of the travel it would wallow a lot more with an air shock and still not pair well with a coil, if you rode it slow it probably felt real plush though, but with it's curve, the harder you'd ride that the worse it'd get most likely. The new IV should be much more consistent and for that kind of bike, I'd want it to be able to run a coil shock first and an air shock would be secondary, so IMO it's better now, but the III curve was just wacky any way around. That's been a big critique of SC bikes where the top-link was driving the shock.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    The III was a crazy regressive curve for most of the travel, overall progressive, but going in the opposite direction for much of the travel it would wallow a lot more with an air shock and still not pair well with a coil.
    It's puzzling that you wrote that, because the N3 works really well with the PUSH ELEVENSIX, and it was one of the first half-dozen or so bikes that the shock was available for.

EDIT - added my own bold emphasis to point out that I'm referring specifically to the statement that "it would... still not pair well with a coil"
    Last edited by tbmaddux; 1 Week Ago at 03:26 PM. Reason: emphasis added

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by tbmaddux View Post
    It's puzzling that you wrote that, because the N3 works really well with the PUSH ELEVENSIX, and it was one of the first half-dozen or so bikes that the shock was available for.
    Shouldn't be, the overall rate is progressive, it ends up at lower rate (say 2:1) than it begins (say 3:1). When you have a linear or regressive total curve, that's when you "can't" really run a coil.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    red one is nomad 3 with 350lbs spring, blue is nomad 4 with 400 lbs spring. Does nomads 3 curve looks so bad for coil?
    Nomad 3 vs 4 linkage (also Capra)-nomad-3-4.png
    graph shows force vs travel

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Shouldn't be, the overall rate is progressive
    I suppose I misunderstood your original point. Seems now that we agree the N3 can work fine with a coil. It seemed like you were saying the N3 would not pair well with a coil. I've edited my earlier post to make that more clear.