NIXON - Which one is best?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004

NIXON - Which one is best?

It is time to replace my 2002 FOX Vanilla 125! The FOX 36 is amazing but too heavy for my needs. I want a light 6" fork and would prefer to stay away from a 20mm axle. So for the NIXONs look like the best bet for harsh XC and all-mountain use! I hope you guys can answer a few questions:

-Which one is their top-of-the-line model? Is it the Elite or Platinum?

-Is one of the versions considered to be the best one?

-Does anyone know if the '05 and '06 forks are the same?

The other fork I would consider is the '06 Marz AM1 SL. Any feedback?

Rob

Sep 2004
    Hi Rob, I was looking at a Nixon to replace my Fox vanilla 125 but after reading reviews I was put off. I believe the Platinum is the flasgship nixon. I was tempted by the 36 but it was too heavy,. how heavy is the marz am1 SL? I was considering the Pace RC41 fighter which is 6" yet only 3.6lbs but in the end I think I'm going to go for a Pike (only 140mm but thats fine for me) + a new 20mm hub.

Full Monty Bike Bore
    Nov 2004
    Yup, the Platinum is the top of the line version.

I think for '06 the Nixon line has dropped the TPC damping option in the Super version (I think) and they're now all SPV forks, called intrinsic I believe. This new option sounds interesting as it overcomes the stable platform initial harshness and is supple before firming up. Some peeps like SPV, others don't - me included.

The Elite has the travel adjuster on a rotating dial (RSI heaven) whereas the other versions get the IT adjuster. Which incidentally has been revised since the early problems.

Personally, I've been using the '05 Super and love the way it rides. I've had a few prob's tho which have fortunately been sorted out quickly under warranty.

I've seen 'em recently on closeout deals and if you can get one less than retail then I'd suggest giving the Nixon a try.
    Knobblies MTBing Blog

"Always carry a flagon of whisky in case of a snakebite, furthermore, always carry a snake" W.C.Fields

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

I have trail time on the Platinum

Quote Originally Posted by R332
    It is time to replace my 2002 FOX Vanilla 125! The FOX 36 is amazing but too heavy for my needs. I want a light 6" fork and would prefer to stay away from a 20mm axle. So for the NIXONs look like the best bet for harsh XC and all-mountain use! I hope you guys can answer a few questions:

-Which one is their top-of-the-line model? Is it the Elite or Platinum?

-Is one of the versions considered to be the best one?

-Does anyone know if the '05 and '06 forks are the same?

The other fork I would consider is the '06 Marz AM1 SL. Any feedback?

Rob
    Came as stock equipment on my Giant REIGN1. I like it a lot.
    They had problems with the first batch, but must have been fixed, mine has not experienced any problems.

After using it for a couple of months, I have much respect for this piece of equipment.
    nice looking, maintains its level of performance, doesn't leak air, doesn't leak oil.

SPV forks are not as supple on small stuff as regular forks,but, you get other benefits:
    1. the fork rides higher in its travel and don't dive as much as other forks, providing more travel for big impacts and positioning the rider on a more upright position for downhilling.
    For this use, Downhill, I think it is excellent.

2. On a bike like a REIGN, which can be used as a long travel aggresive XC ride, you may feel the need, or desire to stand up on your pedals and/or sprint. Once it dives to accomodate the forward weight shift of the standing position, this fork will not move while you hammer away! So for sprinting, or pedalling while standing, this fork has no match.

3. Going uphill? I can outclimb my Trek Fuel Equiped friends on technical terrain. Activate the handlebar mounted IT switch, and your bike drops from 6" to 1" travel, providing an excellent position for the steep climb. Other forks allow you to drop travel, but not with the ease of the IT switch. It is Excellent for climbing.

One negative, small bump absorption, vs a bunch of positives, That is why I like it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Hey Pedro

I too have a reign 1.
    A year ago you couldn,t give me a manituo product but they have really stepped up their game. I have had a couple of minor problems that were IMMEDIATELY taken care of by answer and none of this you pay the shipping crap I have heard from other fork manufacturers they should be a shamed to sell a product that is bad out of the box and ask the customer to pay shipping. Any way I had a question while I am pleased with the performance I am having trouble finding that sweetspot with the fork. I have been toying with spv and main air spring pressures and can't seem to get that spot. The fork performs well but I would like to find that compromise were it performs well in most situations.
    Thanks for any help.
    Tom

I dig trails!
    Quote Originally Posted by tom schoonveld
    I have been toying with spv and main air spring pressures and can't seem to get that spot. The fork performs well but I would like to find that compromise were it performs well in most situations.
    Thanks for any help.
    Tom
    I have a Black 120 with SPV Evolve and it took me 6 months to dial in, others have stated similar time frames. I doubt my numbers will help but, I run 40psi, 3 turns down in volume and get a complliant ride with no brake dive, consistent manners in high speed turns and only 1 inch of bob when hammering.

Mr. P

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by tom schoonveld
    I too have a reign 1.
    A year ago you couldn,t give me a manituo product but they have really stepped up their game. I have had a couple of minor problems that were IMMEDIATELY taken care of by answer and none of this you pay the shipping crap I have heard from other fork manufacturers they should be a shamed to sell a product that is bad out of the box and ask the customer to pay shipping. Any way I had a question while I am pleased with the performance I am having trouble finding that sweetspot with the fork. I have been toying with spv and main air spring pressures and can't seem to get that spot. The fork performs well but I would like to find that compromise were it performs well in most situations.
    Thanks for any help.
    Tom
    Tom,
    Another positive trait of the Nixon, is that its performance seems to be getting better the more I use it. Did not mention it in my initial post 'cause I thought it may sound as wishful thinking, but after reading Mr P's post, well it may just be true. Possible reasons:
    1. Extremely long break in period
    2. User learning process of its performance behavior
    3. both
    As I stated first, it is not as sensitive to small bumps as other forks, but it seems to be getting a bit better, although it would never feel as other very small bump sensitive forks.

I set it up when I first got the bike, My settings goal is for aggressive XC medium to fast speed, gnarly terrain. Not to many downhills (many big sharp impacts) around and no jumping.

Air pressure, the least for my wt of 150lbs
    The air pressure is tricky, I left the pump put as I activated the IT switch and tried to make the pressure uniform at different shaft heights: at minus 1", at minus 2" etc etc.
    until pressure reading was the same at any travel setting.

SPV pressure. Did I have a scare with this!!! Initially it was almost no pressure, and the fork would make small clank noise as it rose. Discovered that on my first ride and felt myself getting pale, felt my skin getting cold and my blood pressure descending, A BRAND NEW (EXPENSIVE) PRODUCT WITH UNHEALTHY NOISE.
    Well there is a minimum pressure that has to be on the SPV chamber otherwise the small clank upon returning. I use the minimum SPV pressure I can get away with.

Rebound, I usually use the least possible damping (returns faster)

I have not touched the compression progressivenes setting, I beleive it is an internal setting, but would like to have it the least progressive as possible (more linear)

I too am on my "quest for the holy grail" concerning suspension performance, hope this helps

telemarc
    Jan 2005

Switched to Pike air u-turn on Reign 1

After riding the season with a Nixon Platinum on my Reign 1 I reluctantly parted with it and gave it to my gal to use on her XC Bullit. I ordered a Pike 454 Air U-turn but in the meantime borrowed her 05 Talus 130. I could not believe how much more supple the Talus was but bottomed out easily. Adding air to improve bottoming resistence took the suppleness away and I could not find the happy medium. Then the Pike showed up. I put in the recomended air pressure in the pos. and neg sides and went for a 3 hr. burn. Yahoo. Had the suppleness of the fox but was great on the jumps and no bottoming. I felt it was a little sticky on the small stuff so I bumped the neg side up 10 pounds and voila. I think it is the nicest all around fork I have had and plan to get one for my gal in the spring.
    The Air system feels so good that I just sold my 66 RC and am getting a Boxxer WC air solo for my Foes Fly. Compression lockout is easily adjustable while riding so no need for the poplock lever in my opinion. Rarely need it as the fork seems to have a very stable pedal platform.

MattSavage

Personally, I'd go with an 05 Elite.

I like the TPC damping and they are super affordable right now. Then I'd swap the RTWD feature for Rapid Travel II, like the Shermans have. That'll give you a nice plush long travel mode for 90% of the ride but on the fly,shorter travel, preloaded mode for climbing and hammering up a hill.

I think if I was to get an 06, I'd go with the Elite still. It has the TPC+ dampening, which is hands down the best damper of all time (an opinion), and RTWD to help dial in a good head angle, but it's not good for on the fly travel adjustments. I'd probably swap the RTWD for RTII, again. Also, I think the Elite is the only one this year that you can get with QR axle, the website suggests that, but I may be wrong.
    "I wrote a hit play! What have you ever done?!"

Have Ashtray, Will Travel....

STS
    mtbr member
    Do you know any review of the new Nixon Intrinsic?
    It seems that it could be possible to upgrade the 05 Nixon with the Intrinsic cartridge...

MattSavage
    Quote Originally Posted by STS
    Do you know any review of the new Nixon Intrinsic?
    It seems that it could be possible to upgrade the 05 Nixon with the Intrinsic cartridge...
    Yeah, it'd be possible. Probably cost around $120 bucks or so. You'd have to buy a new rebound and volume adjuster cap deal. MBA did a write up on the new Travis forks which feature Intrinsic dampers, not very detailed though. I haven't seen any other reviews yet.

mtbr member
    I've recently picked up an 05 Elite virtually unused.

I prefer coil springs over air, they just feel better and I hate the SPV feel and maintenance.
    The only thing wrong is the QR lowers, I'll be getting some 06 style 20mm lowers which'll give me essentially an 06 fork but without the ugly black stanchions.

For the last few months I've been riding a worked up Stance flow, essentially the same fork but heavier (steel stanchions, solid crown, I changed it to TPC). Performance was fantastic after I polished the stanchions.
    Owner of www.shockcraft.co.nz, Mech Engineer, Tuner, Manitou, Motorex, Vorsprung EPTC, SKF, Enduro
    www.dougal.co.nz

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mattsavage
    I like the TPC damping and they are super affordable right now. Then I'd swap the RTWD feature for Rapid Travel II, like the Shermans have. That'll give you a nice plush long travel mode for 90% of the ride but on the fly,shorter travel, preloaded mode for climbing and hammering up a hill.

I think if I was to get an 06, I'd go with the Elite still. It has the TPC+ dampening, which is hands down the best damper of all time (an opinion), and RTWD to help dial in a good head angle, but it's not good for on the fly travel adjustments. I'd probably swap the RTWD for RTII, again. Also, I think the Elite is the only one this year that you can get with QR axle, the website suggests that, but I may be wrong.
    I've found RTWD to be useful. When riding it's wound right out, when putting the bike in a box or car it's wound right down.

Owner of www.shockcraft.co.nz, Mech Engineer, Tuner, Manitou, Motorex, Vorsprung EPTC, SKF, Enduro
    www.dougal.co.nz

MattSavage
    Sherman lowers would work aswell. The casting is cooler looking and slightly lighter.

Members who have read this thread: 0