Newb question- Mtbr.com

Thread: Newb question

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Newb question

Hey guys, this is my first post. I tried searching for my answer on here but I was either too stupid or searching the wrong words.

I have a Giant Iguan 650 se that I recently acquired on craigslist to see if I wanted to get back into riding (since I was a kid riding dept. store bikes) and I so far I love it. So I decided to start trying to fix this thing up since it is a '96 (I believe),

Long story short, the shock is shot. It is a RST 381 which I read as nothing special to start with. I was curious as to what all is needed to replace the shock...with a Tora 318 maybe??? The bike has the 1 1/8 steerer tube, but it doesnt have the headset doodad it has 2 nuts right above the steer tube and a bolt that goes striaght down the stem, I believe thats what its called.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Oh I am 6' 225 lbs, and I am interested mainly in riding some trails here and there as well as on the street. I also like long walks on the beach and fine beer like Natural Light and Guinness..lol

~Disc~Golf~
    BAH!!! Keystone is where it's at!!!

The Tora 318 is an excellent for the price - had one , loved it

**EDIT - I misread
    **As far as your description as to what you have:
    You do have a 'headset' - the headset includes the bearing races (1 fork crown, 2 headtube and 1 'preload'), bearings (two sets), dust seals and preload wedge-shaped ring doodad, - typically. A topcap and preload bolt are also part of it, but are spatially separated.
    The bolt at the top is your preload adjustment bolt - It tensions the headset by pulling between the steerer tube (usually via starnut) and the top-cap. The two bolts in the stem(above the steerer tube as you put it) must be loose to do this and are only tightened down once proper preload and bar alignment are set.
    Last edited by highdelll; 06-21-2009 at 09:05 AM.
    Honestly... ahh I give up

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Ok thanks, so I should be able to use my original headset setup versus the new thread/threadless style with a newer styles fork. I am mechanically inclined as soon as I understand how the things work in relation to each other. As long I have a tubing cutter, for a car or similair I should be able to chop down the tube to fit and install myself...theoretically?

~Disc~Golf~
    sh!t, never mind-- I misread what you were talking about
    haha, my bad
    yeah, you're gonna need a headset and a stem

you were talking about two big nuts above the headtube huh - ~ 22mm or so?
    and bolt that goes into the 'gooseneck' that compresses a wedge-nut inside of the fork's steerer tube
    Honestly... ahh I give up

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Yeah that sounds about right, I appreciate the help

Members who have read this thread: 0