new Z1 Light - Rebound too fast + Top out- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004

new Z1 Light - Rebound too fast + Top out

Hi

I have a new Z1 Light ETA (http://tinyurl.com/jx8vv), and after 12h of riding the rebound is too fast although It's fully closed (should be the slowest).

Also, the fork has a hard "clunk" when I wheelie or the fork extends all the way ("top-out").

My weight 165 and I put 20Psi in the positive air coil in the right leg, and the compression is almost full open.

Cerainly that I'm going to take the fork to my Marz local center, but I want to understand what is the problem. Isn't it enough oil in the right leg (reboung + compression) ? It's appear to be most logical to me.

Thanks !

Elitest thrill junkie
    That's where I'd look, the oil level.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

More opinions ?

Marzocchi recommend to put 165cc of oil in the right leg. Right now my only complaint is the fast rebound + the "top-out".

So there is too much oil or not enough in the right leg ?

Thanks

mtbr member
    definetly take it in, my Z1 Light has zero problems like that.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    You're running too much air preload. Try it with no air preload, 0 PSI. I'm 215 lbs and prefer the feel of my Z1 with no preload, will put in 5-10 PSI for dirt jumping. Max is 15 PSI.

The rebound is too fast, and that is causing the nasty top-out. Not sure what you mean by having the rebound fully closed, but you won't be able to get the fork working properly until you remove the air preload, which is interfering with proper rebound settings. Rebound damping increases (slowing the fork's rebound) by turning the knob counter-clockwise, righty-tighty, toward the "+" on the sticker. Increase the rebound damping 2 clicks at a time until the fork's extension speed slows, then back off 1-2 clicks to get the max rebound damping without slowing down the fork's extension.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by watermoccasin
    You're running too much air preload. Try it with no air preload, 0 PSI. I'm 215 lbs and prefer the feel of my Z1 with no preload, will put in 5-10 PSI for dirt jumping. Max is 15 PSI.

The rebound is too fast, and that is causing the nasty top-out. Not sure what you mean by having the rebound fully closed, but you won't be able to get the fork working properly until you remove the air preload, which is interfering with proper rebound settings. Rebound damping increases (slowing the fork's rebound) by turning the knob counter-clockwise, righty-tighty, toward the "+" on the sticker. Increase the rebound damping 2 clicks at a time until the fork's extension speed slows, then back off 1-2 clicks to get the max rebound damping without slowing down the fork's extension.
    Thank you for your detailed replay. My fork ( http://tinyurl.com/jx8vv ) doesn't have pre-load air system.It's having positive air spring in the right leg, and coil spring in the left leg. Marzocchi recommend to my weight to put 30-40Psi in the right leg, and I'm putting 20-25Psi. I turned the rebound all the way clockwise like you said, thats what I meant "fully closed" (I also tried the other side and the rebound was blast fast).

I heard alot bad stories about Marz technical center in my country, so i'm considering to open the fork by myself, I didn't find photos/instructions how to do it.

Elitest thrill junkie
    how much sag are you running?
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    how much sag are you running?
    I run 30mm sag (20%), and the fork works great. Very plush, and uses almost all his travel and doesn't buttom hard.

Because the rebound and the compression are on the same leg (right) I wanted to check if the compression working. So I added compression and there was a noticable diffrence. The fork was firmer during the travel. Strange, the compression working, and the rebound doesnt affect enough.

So, if I want to add oil in the right leg, all I need to do is to open the top cap ? or it's require to dissassemble the legs too ?

Thanks for the help
    Last edited by alonfo; 07-19-2006 at 07:50 AM.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by alonfo

So, if I want to add oil in the right leg, all I need to do is to open the top cap ?
    Yes..

Members who have read this thread: 0