New spring for Fox Vanilla R- Mtbr.com

Feb 2004

New spring for Fox Vanilla R

I have a 2004 MC San Andreas with a 2005 Fox Vanilla R with Pro-Pedal. I love it, the problem is that I am the king of Clydes (265# naked) and bottom out on any drops over 2 ft. Should I upgrade this shock or spring (haha) for a new one. I tried E-mail MRP for info on Mountainspeed spring with no good results. Thanx

Freshly Fujified

New spring first

I'd opt for a new spring first to see if that helps. What is the lb rating on the spring you currently have? I go 225 and use a 700 lb spring on my Vanilla. This should be the least expensive option, and if by chance it doesn't work, you're not out that much $$$.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I'm also ~225 lb & went w/ a 700lb spring. Just call up Fox & give them you bike model & weight w/ gear & they'll send you out the correct spring for about 20~30 bucks.

Jun 2003

Questions...

What is the wheel travel, and shock stroke? We need this to use a spring calculator.

If you have the $, any single pivot bike will benifit from a 5th coil, Fox DHX, or Swinger, because of the bottoming control.

What is your budget?

Feb 2004
    The bike currently has 6 inches travel. The stock spring is 650 X 2.35. My buddy gave me an old Mountainspeed spring, 700 X 54(cm?) I dont know how well that would work. I would'nt mind shorter travel. Can I put this on the fox shock body and run with it?

Jun 2003

Okay, here we go.

http://www.mojo.co.uk/springs-calc.shtml This is a sprig rate calculator for Fox shocks. It says around a 775 spring.

http://www.tftunedshox.com/springcalc.htm This is another one, that I have found to be slightly low with their rates.

Jun 2003

Do not do it.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbones
    The bike currently has 6 inches travel. The stock spring is 650 X 2.35. My buddy gave me an old Mountainspeed spring, 700 X 54(cm?) I dont know how well that would work. I would'nt mind shorter travel. Can I put this on the fox shock body and run with it?

Your coil will bind. Your shock has a 2.25" stroke. THe spring that you are considering has a 2" stroke.

At your size, I say start with a 750x2.35 spring. If you can spring (HaHa) for a new shock, DO IT NOW. Those of us over 200lb riding single pivot frames will benifit greatly from a good DH shock with an adjustable platform, and bottoming resistance.

Feb 2004
    thanks I was about to put that spring on when I read your reply. I'll contact my LBS for a heavier spring from Fox and hope Santa gets me a 5th element for Xmas

Jun 2003

Good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbones
    thanks I was about to put that spring on when I read your reply. I'll contact my LBS for a heavier spring from Fox and hope Santa gets me a 5th element for Xmas

Just remember, If a 5th or the like is in order, a lighter spring will be needed. (not that the fox spring would fit.) SPV shocks generally run lighter spring rates than other shocks.

Prerhaps start with a 650. I weigh 230, and use a 5th on my Gemini in the 6" travel position. I am running a 550.

Ride Instigator
    Quote Originally Posted by damion
    http://www.mojo.co.uk/springs-calc.shtml This is a sprig rate calculator for Fox shocks. It says around a 775 spring.

http://www.tftunedshox.com/springcalc.htm This is another one, that I have found to be slightly low with their rates.

Interesting.... I'm thinking of getting a little stiffer spring for my Heckler w/DHX that came stock with a 350lb spring. The first calculator says I need a 585lb spring (round off to 600) and the second calculator says I need a 436lb spring (round to 450)...NOW I'm really confused...

The parameters I used were 215lb rider weight, 5.65" travel, 2.25" stroke

Jun 2003

TF is off for fox shocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricko
    Interesting.... I'm thinking of getting a little stiffer spring for my Heckler w/DHX that came stock with a 350lb spring. The first calculator says I need a 585lb spring (round off to 600) and the second calculator says I need a 436lb spring (round to 450)...NOW I'm really confused...

The parameters I used were 215lb rider weight, 5.65" travel, 2.25" stroke

As near as I can tell, the MOJO calculator is fairly close. However, this was not set up for the DHX.

What is your amount of sag with the 350? I am the same weight, with almost the same travel, on a SP frame, using a 5th coil. The spring is a 550, 65psi, 3 turns in from open on the air can, 1/2 turn ending compression, open beginning compression, and 3-4 turns in from open on the rebound.

Members who have read this thread: 0