New Rear Shock Problems- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008

New Rear Shock Problems

So I drove an hour today to have the Rockshox MC3.1 rear shock on my brand new Trek EX6 completely rebuilt. Got home, and the piece of @#[email protected]#[email protected] still isn't holding air pressure. Thoughts?

If I have to go all the way back to this shop it is going to be to return the bike. Should I expect that Rockshox should replace the entire shock at this point?

bike buster
    The bike is brand new... your LBS or RS will help you out. Ask them to grab the shock off another EX6 and deal with the problem part on their own time. You just put out the coin for a new bike... you should be out riding it!

That being said, I'm having an issue with the Lyrik that came on my Remedy 8. The LBS and SRAM have been very helpful ... they're sending a replacement no questions asked.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Cool, that is the info I was looking for. Unfortunately as a closeout, my EX6 was the last one so I'll have to wait for SRAM to ship out a new shock. They already sent the rebuild kit which obviously didn't work. LBS has been great so far, but at an hour's drive away it is a pain to keep going back there at like $30 in gas a trip.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Well it got interesting today. LBS called SRAM and they basically told him to piss off, bad enough where the LBS vowed to avoid doing business with Rockshox for good. He actually had to call Trek to get any help with my situation. They are pulling a rear shock off of a new bike and shipping it overnight. LBS seems to think it will be the same shock, but I'm hoping for an upgrade since they haven't made the MC3.1 in a while. Only time will tell. Cheers Trek, BOOOOO Rockshox.

bike buster
    Wow, that's really surprising! From what I've heard, most people have had great experiences with SRAM customer service. Good to hear you are being taken care of by Trek.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    The SRAM tech really hassled my LBS. He was like, look we already rebuilt this thing once at your request. He gave it the leak test and both of us studied this thing with 200psi in it, and didn't see the first bubble. I get home and it has like 30 psi in it. I would understand SRAM questioning this on a used bike, but this thing is BRAND NEW. Anyway, Trek is taking a shock off of a new bike and sending it. I'm crossing my fingers and hoping it is the Fox Float shock they use now. I just saw even on the the EX5.5 this year it has propedal. I guess there is a reason you don't see RS rear shocks on too many new XC bikes these days.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Westbayou
    The SRAM tech really hassled my LBS. He was like, look we already rebuilt this thing once at your request. He gave it the leak test and both of us studied this thing with 200psi in it, and didn't see the first bubble. I get home and it has like 30 psi in it. I would understand SRAM questioning this on a used bike, but this thing is BRAND NEW. Anyway, Trek is taking a shock off of a new bike and sending it. I'm crossing my fingers and hoping it is the Fox Float shock they use now. I just saw even on the the EX5.5 this year it has propedal. I guess there is a reason you don't see RS rear shocks on too many new XC bikes these days.
    Hmm.. I had a problem with a new Pike and SRAM handled it in a first class manner. My LBS did have to send in my fork for warranty. I called SRAM initially to find out the Protocol for warranty but did call them after they received the fork for an update. May be worth your while to contact SRAM directly to get some first hand info. on your situiation - just seemed like your LBS may have caused a problem or fed you some twisted info about SRAM ???

Members who have read this thread: 0