new Manitou website.... finally!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

new Manitou website.... finally!

just click away

http://www.manitoumtb.com/

Jun 2009
    Is it me or does it contain no info on past productions?

mtbr member
    Dang stylie, you beat me to it. Yes, the new website is finally up. Thanks for posting it here.

Dobby156 - we've got owner's manuals going back to 2001 and service guides going back to 2000 on the support page.
    Denny Yunk
    Mktg. Supervisor, Hayes Bicycle Group
    Tech support: [email protected] | 888.686.3472

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Can't see a R7 MRD fork on there? Discontinued? No Minute in 130mm either?
    Thanx Max

mtbr member
    The 2009 R7 MRD and Minute MRD will be up soon. I just need to get them photographed and added to the site.

The Minute Super and Minute Elite will be available in 100mm, 120mm, and 140mm. The Minute MRD will be available in 100mm and 130mm. Same as last year in both cases.
    Denny Yunk

a.m
    mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Hi Racerveza

Is the R7 MRD the top of the line XC fork from Manitou? Still sub 1300 gram weight?

I can get an Giant Anthem with eiter the R7 MRD or SID team. I am a little concerned for the stiffness of the R7 since it is so light and i am quite heavy with 95 kilos. Is thre any other Manitou forks you would recomend to me?

Thanks!!

Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Racerveza
    Dang stylie, you beat me to it. Yes, the new website is finally up. Thanks for posting it here.

Dobby156 - we've got owner's manuals going back to 2001 and service guides going back to 2000 on the support page.
    Ok, i was searching for product pages, I'll try support, thanks

mtbr member
    After all this time, at least the site isn't a let-down I just love the web2.0 community interaction, as a lot of bike-component companies just don't bother getting in touch with their targeted audience...
    I guess that's why so many people like Brant and also Salsa Cycles

mtbr member
    The 2009 R7 MRD and Minute MRD will be up soon. I just need to get them photographed and added to the site.

The Minute Super and Minute Elite will be available in 100mm, 120mm, and 140mm. The Minute MRD will be available in 100mm and 130mm. Same as last year in both cases.

What about the Nixon, is it gone?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespasianus
    What about the Nixon, is it gone?
    yea no 160mm forks? that is a big hole in your lineup.

Ride Everything
    The new website is much better. Also, props to Shanan to responding to my e-mail so quickly.

I pulled the trigger on a 2009 Minute Super Absolute 140 today.
    GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

Oct 2007
    no updates for the absolute + damper? im dying to replace my spv!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesse Hill
    No kidding, how many 100 to 140mm forks do you need? Get something with some travel on the site.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I have been a trained tech for Manitou for some time and have always thought that there stuff was great. Easy to work on, great service and now a fork to drool over again.The new MRD Dorado is sick. I think I need a new keyboard now.

mtbr member
    A.M - Yes, the R7 MRD is our lightest XC fork. I seem to recall a Euro-based magazine finding it surprisingly rigid. Well, they were surprised. Not us.

By the way, I've got an R7 Super on my Anthem X. As soon as I get the stock shock off and replace it with a proper Manitou shock, I'll post a picture. The silver fork matches the silver on the frame perfectly!
    Denny Yunk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesse Hill
    Yeah, the Nixon is gone. Don't worry, though. We'll fill that hole.
    Denny Yunk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by two-one
    After all this time, at least the site isn't a let-down I just love the web2.0 community interaction, as a lot of bike-component companies just don't bother getting in touch with their targeted audience...
    I guess that's why so many people like Brant and also Salsa Cycles
    Thanks, Two-One. Salsa, Masi, and Planet Bike were all inspirations. I hope to do some "employee bike" features like PB has on their site. As you can imagine, we've got some pretty hot rigs over here - everything from a handmade steel 29er to a blinged-out Session 88.
    Denny Yunk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tomsmoto
    no updates for the absolute + damper? im dying to replace my spv!
    I hope to do a blog post soon on Absolute+. How old is your fork? If it's pre-2007, I'm afraid it's not compatible with A+.
    Denny Yunk

Oct 2005
    Yeah, the Nixon is gone. Don't worry, though. We'll fill that hole.
    Oh good. That was the first thing I went to look for too. While Manitou is practically unknown to me at this point, I'd really love to see and try something out that can compete with the rest of the field, short term and long term.

Great to see your presence on the forums, too.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MileHighMark
    The new website is much better. Also, props to Shanan to responding to my e-mail so quickly.

I pulled the trigger on a 2009 Minute Super Absolute 140 today.
    Thanks, MHM. Shanan is the man.

You're going to love that fork. One of the engineers just put one on his new Santa Cruz Blur LT. Overkill for most of the local trails here in Milwaukee, but he just got back from Utah with a big fat grin on his face.
    Denny Yunk

squish is good
    Long time coming, no joke! Glad to see the new site is up, looks like there is still some work to be done on it though. I'm eager to see what the replacement for the Nixon is gonna be.

Travis is gone too? Will their be a new 180mm single crown fork? How about an affordable dual crown?
    Bike good, work bad.

a.m
    mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Thank you!

It will probebly be the R7 that will be my choice. I like to buy something that not all others have. I also had a discussion with the sales rep from the store and he said that the Manitou fork would be very nice on the bike and perferable from the low weight of the fork.

Oct 2007
    I hope to do a blog post soon on Absolute+. How old is your fork? If it's pre-2007, I'm afraid it's not compatible with A+.
    07 minute 140, IT SPV. should drop in and replace my spv assembly right?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Clutchman83
    Long time coming, no joke! Glad to see the new site is up, looks like there is still some work to be done on it though. I'm eager to see what the replacement for the Nixon is gonna be.

Travis is gone too? Will their be a new 180mm single crown fork? How about an affordable dual crown?
    Yea no kidding the dorado is what 2700.00 now? I could be wrong on that but I remeber seeing/hearing that at one point. Sorry I know forks and shocks have come a long way but that is getting a little out there and will probably sell as well as boss. Match that up with a good DH frame and well need to start taking out loans just to buy our toys, its cool that its out there but to make that your only DH fork without something else in the 1000-1200 range is a little crazy (especially at the given time).

mtbr member
    And nothing beats a coil spring for ultimate plushness.
    ... says the drake tagline.

Too bad it's the ONLY manitou fork available with a coil spring. If i were manitou, i'd consider extending the range of coil spring options. Barring that, i'd at least remove the description that implied that the FFD fork had 'ultimate plushness.'

Good looking website.

mtbr member
    You guys have guessed at (or close to) a number of the new products we've got in development. Obviously, I can't comment specifically on what we're working on beyond model-year 2010, but it's cool to see all the enthusiasm and anticipation.

I've got a mountain of work to do this week, so this will probably be my last post on this thread. I'll definitely keep reading, though. Thanks again for all your comments. Keep 'em coming. And if you're hip to the whole social media thing, don't forget to follow my Twitter feed and become a Manitou fan on Facebook.
    Denny Yunk

Jan 2008
    D - site looks great from across the pond. Good job! Employee rides section would be cool - I'd love to put up all of roadie and track stuff. Actually I'm up to 3 mountain bikes now

I can't wait for the MY11 stuff to start rolling.....

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I too hope that the 150 - 180mm fork range gets something back. I currently have a Nixon that is 160MM with Intrisic dampening, 20mm hex alxe and IT travel adjust. As luck would have it (knocks on wood) the fork has been working great. Went through a number of problems with a 140mm travel Minute Absolute, but the Nixon has been good.

My only request would be to go to a bigger stanchion as when running at full travel there is some flex (not bad through). The fork weighs about 4.7lbs which is pretty damn impressive. Now supersize the Nixon fork with travel adjust (IT or wind down) into a 180mm travel option with keeping the weight around what my Marz 66 weighs and I would be willing to give it a go.

Now my gripe. After running quite a bit of Manitou gear and runnig into some problems with it 2008 Minute Elite Asolute 140mm IT, ISX-6 Evolver, and Revox I made a request to get an extra set of shock hardware so I could swap my ISX6 and Revox without messing around. Manitou was going through a pretty rough time but still managed to get the problems resolved, but given the number of issues with various gear I asked for an extra set of hardware which I was told would be no problem. I pretty much forgot about this as it was months ago now, but i still haven't got any hardware. So, if the Manitou folks want to keep up with what was said, I would appreciate the hardware. The only reason I raise the issue is that it is for an Iron Horse that has somewhat unique specs with the 10mm hardware for shock mounts.

mtbr member
    As a happy user of 2008 Nixon just want to put two cents in future 160mm model.

- Blue Color is good, but looks like crap on most modern frames. No funky color, please.
    - The huge request about quick travel adjust like ETA or 2 step or even talas.
    - The compression practically doesn't influence the work characteristic on my fork. Wider range for compression needed.
    - Rebound is slow enough. When time goes to winter here in Russia the speed of the rebound is not enough, even with 2.5wt oil.

Thank you.

Oct 2005
    TALAS is ok, but I was underwhelmed with its performance after I got a 36. The problem I have with it is that when going from lower to higher travel settings, it's not on the fly. One must dismount and unweight the front end to get it to return. IMO, that reduces its utility significantly. I look at it as more of an actual travel adjust, rather than an on the fly climbing aid.

There's always the "ticking timebomb" idea about it as well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    TALAS is ok, but I was underwhelmed with its performance after I got a 36. The problem I have with it is that when going from lower to higher travel settings, it's not on the fly. One must dismount and unweight the front end to get it to return. IMO, that reduces its utility significantly. I look at it as more of an actual travel adjust, rather than an on the fly climbing aid.

There's always the "ticking timebomb" idea about it as well.
    I agree with you. Mine 2008 TALAS also was with problems. But, I miss it anyway I think the guys from Manitou is smarter and can make product with better quality.

Oct 2005
    My TALAS didn't have problems. That's simply how it worked. The TALAS forks around me have since gone up in smoke, with several having failed talas mechanisms. I may or may not be next. I never use my travel adjust, but I greatly enjoy the feel I got when releasing the IFP air, giving me a fantastically linear fork, which had a wide range of adjustment, stood higher up, yet continued to allow full travel.

If they're listening, something like that from Manitou, coupled with a fantastic damper would probably win over many people. I also have to qualify what I said about my 36: My model has an adjustable hydraulic bottom out valve in the damper, so linearity doesn't bother me, as I can set different points in the end travel where the bottom out valving takes over. One thing missing from many forks, such as the Lyrik U-Turn, and even Totem Coil, is bottom out. The air models use the advantage of their progressivity curves, but that's not always the solution.

Ride Everything
    Installed my new Minute Absolute Super, and it's knocking and clunking like a coil fork. E-mail has been sent.

Ride Everything
    My fork's going back to Manitou for inspection, anti-clunk fix installation, and stiffer (bottom-out) spring.

Ride Everything
    Gotta give props to Manitou support for getting my fork turned around so quickly. Installed it last night, and the difference is like night and day. No clunking when topped-out, and the travel is smooth and buttery. Can't wait to get it broken in and put it through its paces.

Go back to school
    I really like the cutaway views of Manitou's damping systems. I know they don't go into very great of detail but I just like knowing the general difference between the several dampening styles.
    Die to ride, ride to die

Oct 2007
    my spv minute started clunking too, but it also started riding smoother when clunking some orings pooped out and my bath oil leaks now, but even with all that, its pretty hard to complain much when you have a 3.6lbs 140mm TA fork.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by GR_Russia
    It should be mechanical (u-turn) or hydraulic (eta), not based on air. Pretty much every adjustable travel air-system is a failure. They work for a while, but it's just not worth it. Another problem with air springs is developing a suitable negative spring, because the main air spring can be different values, there has to be a negative air spring, and the ultimate is one that can be adjusted, like dual-air. Now we start making the fork uber-complex though, and a travel-adjust system based on air just introduces too many things that can fail.

That said, the forks need to have decent damping systems in them with decent lubrication. Manitou has always been hit and miss here. TPC+ is decent, but the lubrication has sometimes been pretty crappy. The forks need to be lubricated in such a way that they don't self destruct after a year, and they can't require you to tear them down every few weeks.

Another big thing, manitou can't just change the models every year. They need to get it right and have more time in between serious model changes. This is for chassis, for damping, and so on. Some manufacturers do a pretty good job of stocking parts and so, but manitou has always been lacking here. If you change models all the time, or the internals, it's always a no-win situation. Manitou was good about switching out forks for us from time to time, but when we needed parts (springs, damper parts, etc) our shop experience was terrible. On the plus side, manitou has done some good work retrofitting older forks with different systems (SPV to TPC+ and so on). Just make sure you don't bite off more than you can chew.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Members who have read this thread: 0