New Manitou McLeod or Used RS Super Deluxe Select+ w/ Dirtlabs Tune?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

New Manitou McLeod or Used RS Super Deluxe Select+ w/ Dirtlabs Tune?

I'm looking at options for a shock upgrade for my Rift Zone's xfusion O2 (210x50).

I see that the Manitou McLeod is definitely getting some love here.

There is also a lightly used Rock Shox Super Deluxe Select+ for sale locally, with a custom Dirtlabs tune, for $250

Any insights on which way you would go and why, would be appreciated!

mtbr member
    I think it's been posted by someone that they thought the stock Mcleod was better than a tuned Monarch. A super deluxe is a monarch with a reservoir also LSC and HSC.
    2016 Evil Following V1
    2016 Dartmoor Primal+

mtbr member
    It just seems hard to believe that Manitou's $300 shock outperforms Fox's $500 - 600 shock; especially one with a custom tune.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by CCS86 View Post
    It just seems hard to believe that Manitou's $300 shock outperforms Fox's $500 - 600 shock; especially one with a custom tune.

I only paid $210 for my Mcleods. YMMV but in my experience they out perform both a Fox RP23 that has been PUSH tuned and a Fox DPS Evol that has Avalanche's SSD/HSB mod.

Having said that, your OP mentions a Rock Shox Monarch. I have never ridden that shock so I can't really comment on how the Mcleod compare to it.

mtbr member
    In my mind, Fox shocks are garbage and no matter what you do, they will still be garbage.

For the OP, the one thing you have to see is if the Rock Shox has been tuned, who has it been tuned for? A 150 lb rider or a 300 pound rider? One that wants XC or DH? Being tuned can be a good thing or a bad thing!

The Mcleod is a good simple shock. It does its job without having to think about it.
    It is the Right of the People to Alter or to Abolish It.

mtbr member
    I replaced the Monarch on my Following with a Mcleod. The Monarch tune was too soft for my weight so maxing out the PSI to get proper sag caused a harsh ride. 165 less PSI to get proper sag on Mcleod still has plenty of mid stroke support while still being plush and active. It just works.
    2016 Evil Following V1
    2016 Dartmoor Primal+

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespasianus View Post
    In my mind, Fox shocks are garbage and no matter what you do, they will still be garbage.

For the OP, the one thing you have to see is if the Rock Shox has been tuned, who has it been tuned for? A 150 lb rider or a 300 pound rider? One that wants XC or DH? Being tuned can be a good thing or a bad thing!

The Mcleod is a good simple shock. It does its job without having to think about it.

Not challenging your conclusion on Fox shocks overall, but how did you come to it? Just from personally riding them? For technical reasons in their design?

I am coming from a place of ignorance on bicycle shocks. I raced superbikes for 6 years, with various Ohlins and Penske forks/shocks, and many valve stack changes; and am a mechanical engineer by profession. So, the technical details are very interesting to me.

It's hard for me to put much faith in an individual person's "feeling" of a suspension component, unless I know for a fact their pace. The race track was full of people throwing 20 times the money at their bikes than I could, and struggling with feel, while I was crushing their lap times on a budget.

I can see a handful of very positive reviews of the McLeod on mtbr, and others that suggest they have some minor QC issues, but haven't found much else in searching the web.

The stock 210x50 shock on my '18 Rift Zone has 15mm ID eyelets, that are 12.6mm wide (bare metal, no bushings). Is this relatively standard at this point? Obviously, if the metal eyelet matches, I can use the OEM bushing/spacer stack. But if need be, I can make custom spacers, source bushings, etc.

The used RS is claimed to be tuned for 160 -180 lb rider. I would be on the lighter side of that. Roughly 155 lb of flesh and bone.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stahr_Nut View Post
    I only paid $210 for my Mcleods. YMMV but in my experience they out perform both a Fox RP23 that has been PUSH tuned and a Fox DPS Evol that has Avalanche's SSD/HSB mod.

Having said that, your OP mentions a Rock Shox Monarch. I have never ridden that shock so I can't really comment on how the Mcleod compare to it.
    Where can I pick up a McLeod for $210?

mtbr member
    Where can I pick up a McLeod for $210?
    Wiggle, if you catch them in stock. And the German sites usually have them for less.

Edit- I meant Chain Reaction. It looks like your size will be hard to find.

I purchased a couple of them from the Europe for under $200 in the past. My last one I bought direct from Hayes because I didn't want to wait for it to come back into stock somewhere cheaper.

mtbr member
    They do make a 210x50 but it's metric. Star bike has them for $180.
    https://www.starbike.com/en/manitou-...QAvD_BwE#78600
    2016 Evil Following V1
    2016 Dartmoor Primal+

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Not challenging your conclusion on Fox shocks overall, but how did you come to it? Just from personally riding them? For technical reasons in their design?
    My conclusion is based purely on the "chamois in saddle time" testing method. I have no idea about the technicalities of the internals.

Keep in mind I'm a traditional XC rider hence the YMMV in my post above.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Velodonata View Post
    Wiggle, if you catch them in stock. And the German sites usually have them for less.

Edit- I meant Chain Reaction. It looks like your size will be hard to find.

I purchased a couple of them from the Europe for under $200 in the past. My last one I bought direct from Hayes because I didn't want to wait for it to come back into stock somewhere cheaper.
    Yes, I got both of mine from Chain Reaction Cycles. I said $210 for both but IIRC I think I may have only paid $188 for one of them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rngspnr View Post
    They do make a 210x50 but it's metric. Star bike has them for $180.
    https://www.starbike.com/en/manitou-...QAvD_BwE#78600
    Looks like they don't list / stock the 210x50

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Check www.universalcycles.com If you subscribe to their newsletter they give a 15% off coupon code each week.

g=9.764m/s2

Not shown on 5 other European sites either, very odd. Anyway, at your weight the consensus is add the King Can for the best results.

oh, here it is, metric is listed separately
    https://www.starbike.com/en/manitou-...-shock-metric/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Undescended View Post
    Not shown on 5 other European sites either, very odd. Anyway, at your weight the consensus is add the King Can for the best results.

oh, here it is, metric is listed separately
    https://www.starbike.com/en/manitou-...-shock-metric/
    Thanks man, I found that listing as well. Star bike is a legit site? Their price is quite a bit lower than other sites (bigger international shipping though).

mtbr member
    Thanks man, I found that listing as well. Star bike is a legit site? Their price is quite a bit lower than other sites (bigger international shipping though).
    That price seems about right compared to what I have paid from other Euro sites, and while I haven't used them, they look as legit as any other I have purchased from. You do have to be patient, the shipping time is often unpredictable, I have had things arrive in a few days and others take a couple of weeks.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Here's another Euro based option. $182.20 US$

https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/...k-black-431819

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stahr_Nut View Post
    Here's another Euro based option. $182.20 US$

https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/...k-black-431819

But, no 210x50

g=9.764m/s2
    Yes, thatís where I purchased mine...

mtbr member
    May 2006
    legit. very known for road bikes and road bikes parts.

Oren

https://weightweenies.starbike.com/

mtbr member

I've made many purchases from Star Bike. That's where I got both of my McLeods from.
    2016 Evil Following V1
    2016 Dartmoor Primal+

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Thanks for the info people. Just bought a Mcleod from Star Bike to compare against my Super Deluxe (good price!). Will let you know how it all goes when I get it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by robmac48 View Post
    Thanks for the info people. Just bought a Mcleod from Star Bike to compare against my Super Deluxe (good price!). Will let you know how it all goes when I get it.

Definitely let us know.

I just bought the used Super Deluxe, because the price was so good and it has custom valving to match my frame and weight.

I'm curious to hear your thoughts between the two.

mtbr member
    The Mcleod is an amazing shock! I would put it up against shocks twice its price. Not even exaggerating.