A new DH fork...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2005

A new DH fork...

Hi guys/girls
    i have an 04 coiler which ive pretty much specced for DH riding, but i cant decide on a fork...
    i will be racing dh next year, so i need help on which is best for me. ive been riding proper for about 8 months.

i was looking @ the 05 marzocchi junior t, 170mm which looks pretty capable of beginner dh racing, but ive also been advised that a 200mm fork would suit me better.
    what about the 05 888VF which i can get for the same price as the junior t's - is this a better fork? the other fork i looked at was the 05 boxxer ride OR race, which comes in 7in or 8in, at the same price too.

help appreciated... and can someone tell me what the 'big' difference is in the 888VF and the 888RC? apart from the price

cheerz people

kona-tize me captain
    Quote Originally Posted by grahamjtriggs
    Hi guys/girls
    i have an 04 coiler which ive pretty much specced for DH riding, but i cant decide on a fork...
    i will be racing dh next year, so i need help on which is best for me. ive been riding proper for about 8 months.

i was looking @ the 05 marzocchi junior t, 170mm which looks pretty capable of beginner dh racing, but ive also been advised that a 200mm fork would suit me better.
    what about the 05 888VF which i can get for the same price as the junior t's - is this a better fork? the other fork i looked at was the 05 boxxer ride OR race, which comes in 7in or 8in, at the same price too.

help appreciated... and can someone tell me what the 'big' difference is in the 888VF and the 888RC? apart from the price

cheerz people
    if your gonna get an 888 you should get the RC. the 888vf is basically a 7inch jr t. the vf has no external controls( rebound and compression) i was in the same situation you are but for my stinky so i just went for the 888rc. the 888vf is just a beefed up jr t to me. the 888rc has hscv cartridges while the vf does not. u can upgrade to the hscv cartidges later on with the vf but you will basically be spending the same amount of the 888rc in the first place. 05 boxxer ride or race are great forks for downhilling i dont like them though for freeriding. the 888 is more of a "do it all fork". you could try to get a 04 super t there selling cheap and there great forks also. thats just my 2 ents if im wrong on anything feel free to correct me anyone. if i were you i would deff go for the 888rc.
    Looking for a 7.87 x 2.25mm shock, any brand any age that runs well!! cheap would be appreciated!

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    cheers mate for the advice,
    but i dont think i have enough cash for the 888rc's but would you even recommend them to a beginner racer?
    i think i'll probably get the jnr t or the boxxers...unless anyone thinks a 7in dh fork isnt worth the cash?
    cheers...

kona-tize me captain
    cheers mate for the advice,
    but i dont think i have enough cash for the 888rc's but would you even recommend them to a beginner racer?
    i think i'll probably get the jnr t or the boxxers...unless anyone thinks a 7in dh fork isnt worth the cash?
    cheers...

no problem man i know what its like to need information and not have anyone help you out. if i were you id call up marzocchi and see how much there selling them for. even if you are a beginner racer it doesnt matter, just knowing you have a marzocchi 888rc on the front of your bike will be a huge confidence booster it was for me. but if you cant get the 888rc then maybe you should consider the 888vf becuase once you do get more cash u can get the hscv cartridges. the jr t is a great fork also alot of people have them and the boxxer, 7 inches is plenty. i would rather have 7 inches of buttery smooth travel then 8 inches of sticky bumpy travel, its more of performance then size hahaha. check the reviews of the forks your looking at boxxers are great forks, i personally like marzocchi more they have the best customer service. are you plannin on doing all dh? or some freeriding?
    Looking for a 7.87 x 2.25mm shock, any brand any age that runs well!! cheap would be appreciated!

Meh.
    Hi guys/girls

cheerz people
    203mm travel DC fork would probably rake out the Coiler too much. o5 888s and 66s are extremely tall. I felt as if my o4 Coiler rode as a chopper with my bud's o5 170mm 66RC.

888RC uses better dampening than the VF. As the other poster said, the VF is just like a big Junior T. The dampening is extremely simple and prone to spiking. There's no way to control rebound or compression other than mucking around with oil heights, and even then, it's difficult to adjust and is a pain in the @$$.

Wait for the o6 Boxxers. Motion Control Dampening will make those feel sooo much smoother. Current Boxxers either have useless rebound adjusters, or are prone to spiking.

Jun 2005
    66rc Here's some help!

You don't want an 05 Boxxer, the race and ride models really suck.

The 06 race and ride models are mucho mucho mucho better than the 05. Incredibly more smooth riding and better damping for DH.

Here's a killer deal on an 06 Ride on ebay, they usually go for $800, so if you can sport the $600, go for it!
    Ebay Boxxer ride

Here's a superT for $400 brand new, great fork, much better than the JrT.
    SuperT

66rc for $490 150mm but it can be raised to 170mm, rides as high as a 205mm fork. Good rpice on a very DH worthy fork!
    66rc

The 2006 Boxxer Race here might be the best bet if you can afford it! $670
    06 boxxer race

All of the forks I have linked to are superb with high end damping, great for DH riding. It would be a waste of time buying an 05 boxxer or some other fork with crappy internal damping, it just makes you really slow and beat up on DH runs.

Good luck! If you can't afford one now, save up, it's worth it not to get a crappy fork for DH. You can get away with crappy damping for hucking and freeriding but not DH.

kona-tize me captain
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    203mm travel DC fork would probably rake out the Coiler too much. o5 888s and 66s are extremely tall. I felt as if my o4 Coiler rode as a chopper with my bud's o5 170mm 66RC.

888RC uses better dampening than the VF. As the other poster said, the VF is just like a big Junior T. The dampening is extremely simple and prone to spiking. There's no way to control rebound or compression other than mucking around with oil heights, and even then, it's difficult to adjust and is a pain in the @$$.

Wait for the o6 Boxxers. Motion Control Dampening will make those feel sooo much smoother. Current Boxxers either have useless rebound adjusters, or are prone to spiking.

he could still get the 888 and then once he gets more money get low rider crowns so its not so raked out haha get the 888. acatully a great suggestion posted earlier, the 66. its basically a single crwon 888. as you can see i love my marzocchi. another good thing pointed out, if u get a boxxer get the 06. its up to you man. i think you should go for the super t

Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by austinb89
    he could still get the 888 and then once he gets more money get low rider crowns so its not so raked out haha get the 888. acatully a great suggestion posted earlier, the 66. its basically a single crwon 888. as you can see i love my marzocchi. another good thing pointed out, if u get a boxxer get the 06. its up to you man. i think you should go for the super t
    888 is a freeride fork more than it is a DH fork. I don't see many people DH riding with those.

Boxxers are the best DH forks you can buy under $1000. The majority of racers ride Boxxers because they are lightweight, smooth, linear, and just kick butt for pure DH use. Heck even some people prefer the Boxxer over the Fox 40!

mtbr member
    Have you looked at a better but older 2nd hand fork?
    Owner of www.shockcraft.co.nz, Mech Engineer, Tuner, Manitou, Motorex, Vorsprung EPTC, SKF, Enduro
    www.dougal.co.nz

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    cheers people,
    i think i might be edging towards the 888vf or the super t.
    boxxers seem to be really amazing for DH, and youre right - ive seen loads of racers using them, but i also ride freeride so i think i've checked them off the list, and a super t or 888 will probably suit the bill better.
    if i do decide to get a 888 then you can get different crowns to lower the ride height. my frames a large anyway so at the mo it is not steeped up much
    thanks really appreciate it guys

Jun 2005
    cheers people,
    i think i might be edging towards the 888vf or the super t.
    boxxers seem to be really amazing for DH, and youre right - ive seen loads of racers using them, but i also ride freeride so i think i've checked them off the list, and a super t or 888 will probably suit the bill better.
    if i do decide to get a 888 then you can get different crowns to lower the ride height. my frames a large anyway so at the mo it is not steeped up much
    thanks really appreciate it guys
    get anything but a VF.

You have no idea how terrible those ride at high speeds.

888rc should be the best fork if you plan on freeriding too.

888rc

Check out those two 888rc forks on ebay. You could possibly get that one for under $500.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    thanks for the advice, and i think i have gone completely off the 888VF's because i don't see any point in spending £400 on a fork you can even adjust the preload on. i'm not too experienced in mechanics so i dont want to be playing with oil etc.

i think i will get a junior t 20mm,
    although those two 888RC's do look very sweet. it depends on how much postage is to UK, and if they are still available in a couple of weeks when i get the cash.

cheers

Members who have read this thread: 0