Need to Upgrade Dart 3 Without Spending a Fortune- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Need to Upgrade Dart 3 Without Spending a Fortune

I would like to replace the Dart 3 that came on my RockHopper, but don't really want to spend over $400, maybe $500 for something that's really worth it. I like RockShox, primarily because I'm comfortable with them. I also like PopLoc, I've played with one, and it seems pretty useful on the trail. I primarily ride XC, but always like to have the capability to go crazy every once in a while when the mood strikes. Any suggestions? Would it make much of a difference from the stock Dart 3?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    You can find a rockshox sektor coil for about 350.

Former Bike Wrench
    Rock Shox makes very good forks, but the best bargains right now are Manitou. The Manitou Minute has arguably as good or better damper that is remote compatible. Best of all it can be had for under $300 right now.
    http://www.ride-this.com/index.php/m...lack-2788.html

TOP TIER LURKER
    I researched the 2011 Marzocchi Marathon LR and it seemed well priced and pretty light with good features. Check it out. I may end up putting one on my wife's Myka when the POS SR Suntour fork fails.
    life is... "All About Bikes"...

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Simple solution stick a rockshox reba on bike.

you now have a wicked cool fork that is 100x better than the dart and also you WILL notice the difference too.

disc bike right?

mtbr member
    The Manitou Minute was out of stock, but I'm sure other sites have it.

Yes, it is disc, but most of the Reba's I come across are a little more expensive than what I was looking for.

I honestly hadn't looked at the Sektor until now, and it looks pretty good for what I need. I might be strange for saying it, but I like coil. If I was concerned about racing or pushing my bike to the exreme everyday, I would probably want air, but I want something reliable, low maintenance, that will be there when I need it. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but if an air shock fails, is it not much much worse than when a coil shock fails on the trail?

Has anyone actually had experience with the Sektor? How do I know which one to buy? (100-140 mm, 110-150mm, 15mm axle, 20mm axle, etc.....)

TOP TIER LURKER
    I have to assume your OEM fork has 100mm of travel so that is what you'll want to stick with....
    life is... "All About Bikes"...

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ambassadorhawg
    I researched the 2011 Marzocchi Marathon LR and it seemed well priced and pretty light with good features.
    Skip this. It has a crap damper, and steel stanchions. You can do better for the money.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Ive been riding a RockShox Sektor rl (coil) for 3 weeks now.

I dig it. it is reasonably light, has enough adjustability for 90% of most riders, travel is adjustable from 100-140, comes in black with bronze anodized stanchions (which is purely aesthetic, but chrome stanchions just look cheap.)

and comes in nicely between tora (which is not that much an upgrade from the dart) and the $500+ range forks.

at $360, it is a very good fork.

as for which one to buy: the cheapest one is the coil version, and depending on the year of your rockhopper, just buy what ever axle fits your stock hub. it is probably 9mm open drop out.

you could go for the maxle or 20mm, but you will have to get a different hub, and then you might as well get a new front wheel, and then your half way to an entry level bike again.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zjenni01
    The Manitou Minute was out of stock, but I'm sure other sites have it.

Yes, it is disc, but most of the Reba's I come across are a little more expensive than what I was looking for.

I honestly hadn't looked at the Sektor until now, and it looks pretty good for what I need. I might be strange for saying it, but I like coil. If I was concerned about racing or pushing my bike to the exreme everyday, I would probably want air, but I want something reliable, low maintenance, that will be there when I need it. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but if an air shock fails, is it not much much worse than when a coil shock fails on the trail?

Has anyone actually had experience with the Sektor? How do I know which one to buy? (100-140 mm, 110-150mm, 15mm axle, 20mm axle, etc.....)
    Modern air forks are very reliable, especially if you replace the seals and o-rings once a year or so. Many people don't know better and will go far longer than that before they have problems though. Service costs somewhere around $30 from a shop or you can buy the parts kit and do it yourself with basic hand tools. I've had an o-ring fail on my Tora before because I had waited too long to do said service and it burped some air between chambers and I lost most of my travel. I had no problem locking it out and riding carefully home though.

There are two different types of "air" springs on the Manitou forks and both are simpler than the RockShox air forks. The Minute Expert uses the "ACT Air" which is actually just a normal coil spring housed in an airtight chamber with a valve so you can add air pressure to dial in sag and feel through a wider range than a coil-only design. The Minute Pro uses the "MARS Air" which is similar but uses a much smaller spring and mostly uses the air pressure

The coil Sector RL models do look really nice and come with a good damper, but they are than a full pound heavier than the Minute Pro at the same price because you are carrying around an extra 40mm of stanchion and spring that aren't useful on a frame designed for 100mm

mtbr member
    2011 X-Fusion Enix RL - MSRP $325 Check it out: http://www.x-fusion-shox.com/product...c41c9f5e63c0e6
    X-FUSION-SHOX
    USA Sales & Service Mgr.

Pain is only temporary but Glory is FOREVER!!!!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    The Fox Float/F-series air spring is incredibly robust. You can easily find one of those lightly used for under $400.

Members who have read this thread: 0