Need Help Rebuilding a Manitou SX LT fork- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Need Help Rebuilding a Manitou SX LT fork

My local bike shop won't touch it so I have to teach myself how to rebuild a shock.

I have a Manitou SX LT. It works but I came down hard and some oil leaked out not it bottoms out when I ride and think I may have crushed the old elastomers.

Possibly just add more oil?

Is there any websites that sell parts anymore (I know this thing is really old) but I am trying to keep an old bike rolling so most new equipment won't work for me.

Thanks for your help.

BTW:

I found this site sells elastomers:
    https://www.suspensionforkparts.net/...-kit-2000.html

These guys sell springs (not sure if newer springs will work)
    https://www.supergo.com/manitou-bike...42?fb=1284&p=3

mtbr member
    You need to pull it apart and see what is going on in there. Old Manitous hold up pretty good but you don't want to ignore any signs of problems. I've put a couple back in service in the last year or so for budget builds and kids bikes, the elastomers seem to age much better than some others I have seen that basically turned into a nasty putty. Some will have a coil or combo coil/elastomer setup. You can mix and match to get something that works, there are even Ti springs out there. One thing that sucks is if the TPC damper leg loses the bottom seal where the rebound shaft comes out the bottom of the stanchion. I have had to get creative fixing that, without a good seal you have a dead fork because the damper oil will end up in the bottom of the leg. So I would suggest taking it apart, seeing what's up in there, and maybe post some pics if you have any specific questions.

mtbr member
    Some of those forks were just spring/elastomer with no damper.
    If it is a fluid flow damper the lower end-cap seal has probably gone.

Undo the bottom bolts, pull the lowers off. Undo the top caps and pull the springs out and see what you've got.

I've got damper rebuild kits here if it is fluid flow: https://www.shockcraft.co.nz/28-6-mm...hockcraft.html
    You'll want oil (I use 2.5wt motorex) and slickoleum grease for the lower legs.
    Owner of www.shockcraft.co.nz, Mech Engineer, Tuner, Manitou, Motorex, Vorsprung EPTC, SKF, Enduro
    www.dougal.co.nz

mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Cool-blue Rhythm

this piece seems a little worn

This plunger on the top of the oil-side got stuck in the threads trying to pull it off.

I managed to destroy this O-ring. : (

Inner Diameter.

Overall length of internal parts.

length of elastomers

length of spring.

I finally had time to take about my fork. I destroyed the O-ring on the top plunger when pulling it off...hope I can use something from a RockShox or Fox fork? (The threads at the top of the tube made it impossible to disassemble without wrecking that O-ring)

I measured the parts and overall length. The width is about an inch.

I weight about 200lbs so I will need springs that can accomodate me and a backpack etc.

You guys sound pretty knowledgeable on these things, so can I save these forks?

Thanks in advance.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Need Help Rebuilding a Manitou SX LT fork-manitou_repair_001.jpg  

Need Help Rebuilding a Manitou SX LT fork-manitou_repair_002.jpg  

Need Help Rebuilding a Manitou SX LT fork-manitou_repair_003.jpg  

Need Help Rebuilding a Manitou SX LT fork-manitou_repair_004.jpg  

Need Help Rebuilding a Manitou SX LT fork-manitou_repair_005.jpg  

Need Help Rebuilding a Manitou SX LT fork-manitou_repair_006.jpg  

Need Help Rebuilding a Manitou SX LT fork-manitou_repair_007.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Good job!

Has Anyone tried removing the spring/elstomers with something like a big RocksShox spring?

https://www.worldwidecyclery.com/pro...tra-firm-black

I could just add elstomers to fill the gap...?

mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Good job!

BTW, has anyone tried using something like this to put the grease into the micro-lube ports?

Dualco Grease Gun with Short Nozzle

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HHM2JX5...v_ov_lig_dp_it

Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    So that's a TPC Sport damper. They're now called "Fluid Flow". Pretty basic but they work. Probably work better with the gapped O-ring TBH.

Dualco guns are ideal for grease injection on those forks. Manitou were selling them for that purpose. Fill it with Slickoleum.
    Owner of www.shockcraft.co.nz, Mech Engineer, Tuner, Manitou, Motorex, Vorsprung EPTC, SKF, Enduro
    www.dougal.co.nz

mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Good job!

Thanks, parts have been ordered.

BTW, do you recommend replacing the spring/elastomer stack with one big spring? Or would it feel like a pogo stick?

I see on your website you sell a few manitou springs.
    https://www.shockcraft.co.nz/manitou...tuning-upgrade

my elastomer/spring stack is 11inches/27.94CM and the diameter is 2.8575cm (1 1/8in)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bidwellian View Post
    Thanks, parts have been ordered.

BTW, do you recommend replacing the spring/elastomer stack with one big spring? Or would it feel like a pogo stick?

I see on your website you sell a few manitou springs.
    https://www.shockcraft.co.nz/manitou...tuning-upgrade

my elastomer/spring stack is 11inches/27.94CM and the diameter is 2.8575cm (1 1/8in)

Springs work great if you can find one with the length, diameter and rate that suits. I've got a heap but can't guarantee to have the one you need.
    www.dougal.co.nz