Need help with possible stiction on 2013 RS Lyrik- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Need help with possible stiction on 2013 RS Lyrik

Hey all, I've been riding on a 2013 Lyrik for about 4 months now and feel like the fork is decent, but meh, it could be better. It just doesn't feel as plush as I think it could be or what I've seen in others. I am no suspension expert by any means, but I do have a good general knowledge from reading a lot of the threads here, tutorials elsewhere, and just my testing and notes from riding.

I've tried many things to get the fork to feel how I want it but to no avail. Something finally occurred to me the other day that should have registered with me as possibly being a problem and it has been like this on my fork since day one. The tubes of my lowers are so close together that my front wheel won't fit. I've used this wheel on a RS Revelation and a Fox Float. The wheel always just slipped right in and I've tightened down the thru axle. No problems. The Lyrik is different. It is difficult for me to install my front wheel. I have to physically pull the lowers apart 3-4mm in order for my wheel to fit in. I started to wonder if this could be causing excessive amounts of uneven wear on the bushings since maybe the lowers and uppers are not lining up perfectly. Is this supposed to be how Lyriks are?

I apologize if this is a dumb question. I've never read anything about this with other Lyrik owners. I wouldn't think it is a hub problem since my hub fit just fine in my other RS fork using the same endcaps (20mm). Anyone have a good explanation?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    "I have to physically pull the lowers apart 3-4mm in order for my wheel to fit in" You answered your own question. You could verify this by trying your wheel in other forks and other wheels in the Lyrik. Time to call RS then visit your LBS.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by keen View Post
    Time to call RS then visit your LBS.
    SRAM won't tell you much over the phone, only to head to your LBS for warranty claims of any kind. Gotta love the middle man hierarchy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    SRAM won't tell you much over the phone, only to head to your LBS for warranty claims of any kind. Gotta love the middle man hierarchy.
    SRAM will @ least "elude" to widespread fork issues. The LBS will be very helpful if it were the origin of purchase.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Large purchases such as a high end fork I always do through my lbs due to these kinds of problems thar occur from time to time. I got so excited to get a new fork I didn't think anything of it over these past 4 months. I figured the seals just needed to be broken in and also just wrote off the wheel fit issue since the fork was still working ok, but I woild much prefer for it to work at its max potential. I appreciate the feedback, guys. I'll stop by my shop today.

mtbr member
    Dropout spacing is 110 mm. Measure it with a ruler. If it is really coming out 106 or 107 mm, that is probably way out of spec (you can download a doc from SRAM that would say exacltly--I'm guessing it's +/- 1 mm) and helps eliminate someone at the LBS troubleshooting the problem down a blind alley ("maybe it's a hub/endcap problem"). Miscast/misshapen lowers wouldn't be unprecedented. Good luck.

Edit: I found it. http://cdn.sram.com/cdn/farfuture/UY...spec_lyrik.pdf

110+/-2 mm. If you can pop out the wheel and show a shop tech that it's any less than 108 mm, RS should have to help you out.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Hi! I have same issue with RS Lyrik RC2 DH 2012. When I failed on installing my wheel to the fork, I thought it's a endcaps issue, but then I've measured space between 'dropouts' and it was only 108mm. It's no problem to spread dropouts and install a wheel. I also wondered if this can cause bad perfomance. But, I've tried the fork with and without wheel installed and didn't notice any difference.

There is one thing about Lyrik with floodgate. The floodgate valve increases compression in damper a little bit even when turned off. Those people who want unaffected perfomance just take out the floodgate valve. As I know, it was the reason for rock shox to make RC2 DH version (w/o floodgate).

Members who have read this thread: 0