Need help with old Manitou SX-r fork- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    116

    Bonking ... not feelin' well Need help with old Manitou SX-r fork

    I took the Manitou SXR fork off of my '99 Klein Mantra as it started to stick really bad. Turns out that the lower elastomers turned -literally- into gum (incompatible fork oil????) and clogged everything up. I cleaned up the insides and managed to find some elastomers on ebay that seem to fit. Anyway as I was putting the fork back together I overtightened the Damper Dropout Nut (041345) and snapped the Lower Shaft (041460).

    Can anyone tell me where I can either find a suitable replacement or if there's anything else that can be done to rig this fork to work? I already dropped $40 for the elastomers and oil and I don't like scrapping things unless I have no other option.

    Desperately looking for some advice... season is in full swing and I can't ride.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Dougal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,426
    Try ebay or start calling shops who do suspension work. Some have a graveyard of old forks.
    Owner of www.shockcraft.co.nz, Mech Engineer, Tuner, Manitou, Motorex, Vorsprung EPTC, SKF, Enduro
    www.dougal.co.nz

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Vespasianus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    5,751
    I may have a damper rod but you would need to move your shims/piston on it as I used the shims for another fork.

    Would this work?

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Dougal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,426
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespasianus
    I may have a damper rod but you would need to move your shims/piston on it as I used the shims for another fork.

    Would this work?
    As long as the length is the same, sure.
    Owner of www.shockcraft.co.nz, Mech Engineer, Tuner, Manitou, Motorex, Vorsprung EPTC, SKF, Enduro
    www.dougal.co.nz

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    116
    Vespasianus,
    Is the damper rod == lower shaft? If so, that would be fantastic. Please PM me with your demands for the damper rod.

    Dougal,
    Check. I've checked all the local shops and no joy. I'm watching ebay but you never know how long it will be before something like that shows up. I've found a couple of complete SXR possibilities but the auctions end a number of days out, and there's not guarantee that my bid will win.

    Nevertheless thanks for your suggestions. I was thinking there might be some aftermarket alternatives that I have not thought of.

    Peace!
    Last edited by Omegaman007; 06-15-2009 at 08:59 PM.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    7,815
    Yeah, that sucks. Sorry to hear you're having all these problems.

    I'd say your best bet is to buy a used SX-R off eBay and use it for parts. They can generally be had for around $40 (sorry ).

    The SX-R is still a good fork, though. Even though it's fairly flexible, it's also fairly plush and has a good damping system with proper low speed and high speed circuits.

    You might want to consider slapping some Enduro seals on there. They'll add a little stiction, but they seal much better than the stock seals and you'll be able to get rid of the boots.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Dougal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,426
    Quote Originally Posted by bad mechanic
    You might want to consider slapping some Enduro seals on there. They'll add a little stiction, but they seal much better than the stock seals and you'll be able to get rid of the boots.
    I'd be keeping the boots even with the Enduro seals.
    Keeping the stanchions clean and protected is important no matter how good your seals are.
    Owner of www.shockcraft.co.nz, Mech Engineer, Tuner, Manitou, Motorex, Vorsprung EPTC, SKF, Enduro
    www.dougal.co.nz

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Vespasianus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    5,751
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegaman007
    Vespasianus,
    Is the damper rod == lower shaft? If so, that would be fantastic. Please PM me with your demands for the damper rod.

    Dougal,
    Check. I've checked all the local shops and no joy. I'm watching ebay but you never know how long it will be before something like that shows up. I've found a couple of complete SXR possibilities but the auctions end a number of days out, and there's not guarantee that my bid will win.

    Nevertheless thanks for your suggestions. I was thinking there might be some aftermarket alternatives that I have not thought of.

    Peace!
    Got you PM but I don't know how to post pics via pm. This is the part I have:


    Don't have the bolt or the shims but those can be moved from your rebound shaft. If this is OK, PM and I will put it in the mail tomorrow.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    116
    You're a lifesaver, that's it! Mine has a small hole near the bottom for rebound control but at this stage I'm not going to be picky.

    Thanks again for all the help guys! Much obliged.

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.