Need help with forks- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 60 of 60
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    205

    Need help with forks

    I am looking to upgrade my Suntour which came on my Scott Aspect 55 and I am in the market for a new fork. Any suggestions? I am thinking 9mm QR or 15mm through axel.

    I was thinking about either of these but would love some suggestions or feedback. What are some great RockShox models or other brands? I ride pretty aggressively on single tracks or xc. I also weigh about 230. I dont want to spend too much since my bike was only like $550. Thanks for the help!!

    Manitou Minute Pro Suspension Fork 100mm White QR from ModernBike.com

    or

    Manitou Minute Expert Suspension Fork 100mm Black QR w/Bosses from ModernBike.com

  2. #2
    SANCTUS
    Reputation: BUSTELO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    226
    I suggest this at a substantial savings, at your manly weight you would have the option of heavier coil springs as your Manitou choices offer, Rockshox has been building some very reliable forks since SRAM bought them out.This is a discontinued fork however many upgrades and parts are readily available including POP-LOC remote.You could find a fork like this for as little as $180.00. Tora 302 Coil U-Turn 85-130mm Black w/bosses on eBay!
    BUSTELO

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    205
    Sorry... Needs to be 100mm of travel due to the geometry

  4. #4
    SANCTUS
    Reputation: BUSTELO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    226
    the Tora has adjustable travel from 85mm to 130mm, it has a knob up on top of the stanchion that allows you to adjust travel.That is U-turn Rockshox technology.The forks you mention are very good however Manitou is somewhat shaky as they may go bankrupt? they have been having financial problems the past few years, parts availability may be an issue compared to SRAM/ROCKSHOX
    BUSTELO

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    157
    I don't know about how easy it is to obtain spare parts for Manitou forks. But the TPC Absolute + damping is substantially better than what Rockshox has to offer in same price range and even some more expensive Rockshox forks use orifice based damping for rebound and not shimmed piston like TPC Absolute +. And Turn key -damping (that 302 Tora uses) is not something I would like to mess with because of orifice based rebound and compression.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    205
    I heard to stay away from the turn key forks. That's my fear about the Minute forks. I heard that manitou isn't doing so well but the damping is one of the best. I think I'd go for Rockshox just due to the fact they are doing well as a company. What are some of their better models? I think the max I'm willing to spend us $400

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    157
    Well, for example Motion Control RL-, RLT-, DNA- dampers are a lot better than Turn Key but many of the forks that use RL- or RLT- damper still use orifice based rebound piston. And performance is highly compromised because if you adjust rebound correctly (enough rebound to prevent harsh top out and too fast beginning stroke extension) for beginning stroke fork will pack down in multiple hits because fork ending stroke doesn't extension is not fast enough and vice versa.

    If you want properly performing rebound you should look at forks that have Dual Flow rebound (that is Rockshox marketing term for shimmed rebound damper). But forks with Dual Flow rebound might cost a lot more (Revelation and SID seem to use DF-rebound).

    Price difference compared to Manitou forks that you linked seem to be so high that I would personally still consider Manitou. Those Manitou forks are also internally highly tunable by modifying shim stack whereas most of the Rockshox forks aren't nearly as tunable. If you maintenance forks correctly and periodically it may take a very long time before you even need any spare part. But anyway that's your decision to make.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mullen119's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    4,646
    I woundnt worry about getting parts for your Manitou. They are a little harder to find online, But if you have a good local shop, you can look the part number up online and have them order it for you. Its pretty rare that would be needed.

    With either the Minute Expert or Pro, You will need a new coil spring because of your weight. You can usually find them(called ride kits) on ebay. Its much easier to change the coil on the expert then the Pro and you can usually find them cheaper if you look around. The only difference between the two is the spring systems.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,344
    Double post

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,344
    I've been ordering Manitou parts online and through a shop the last three years. The only problems I've had are shops screwing up the part numbers because they don't often deal in Manitou. Sometimes I'd get a damper cap instead of a damper assembly.

    What evidence is there that they are having financial difficulty?

    If you go with the minutes, either pro or expert you will want to upgrade the ride kit or coil respectively. Stock is going to be to light for you. My shop gouged me on the coil for $40. Just be aware of that hidden cost.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    205
    How do I know what coil to get? How do I install it? I'm leaning toward the minutes cause I've only heard positive things about the dampening.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    2,431
    Don't go for 15mm T/A, as you'll need a new front wheel.

    Do some really serious research on what spending your $3-400 worth on the fork would do if you spent that much extra on a whole bike over your original. Its almost always worth getting the package deal of complete upgrades to everything.
    Rimmer - "There's an old human saying - if you talk garbage, expect pain"

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,344
    I recommend the expert. I waited for a coupon to pop up then I bought mine for 280. It has a coil and really low pressure air spring in series, which I really like. You get mid-stroke support of coil, with the bottom out progressiveness of air, plus you can tweak the sag to your weight a little. You'll probably want the extra firm coil. You'll also want to change out the damper oil to a higher viscosity than stock.

    Changing the spring is stupid easy. Let out the air on the left leg, pop the cap, pull out old spring, grease the new one, and throw it in there. Put the cap back on, air it up and you're ready to ride.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    6
    Agreed

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    205
    thanks for all the help... I highly doubt I will have to ever order parts online and if it comes down to it Ill have my local bike shop do it for me. It just seems like rockshox jacks up their prices when there are better lower alternatives out there.

    What about Velvet?

  16. #16
    SANCTUS
    Reputation: BUSTELO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    226
    Quote Originally Posted by half_man_half_scab View Post
    I've been ordering Manitou parts online and through a shop the last three years. The only problems I've had are shops screwing up the part numbers because they don't often deal in Manitou. Sometimes I'd get a damper cap instead of a damper assembly.

    What evidence is there that they are having financial difficulty?

    If you go with the minutes, either pro or expert you will want to upgrade the ride kit or coil respectively. Stock is going to be to light for you. My shop gouged me on the coil for $40. Just be aware of that hidden cost.
    bought out by Hayes 2007 because they were NEARLY bankrupt.My point is they are not much of a player anymore and I suspect they may go under,very few riders own them and I find that it is difficult to find a mechanic that qualified to maintain them.As I posted the OP is considering Manitou models that are a good choice however I do choose to go with SRAM or Fox due to excellent service support.
    BUSTELO

  17. #17
    SANCTUS
    Reputation: BUSTELO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    226
    Quote Originally Posted by polecats03 View Post
    thanks for all the help... I highly doubt I will have to ever order parts online and if it comes down to it Ill have my local bike shop do it for me. It just seems like rockshox jacks up their prices when there are better lower alternatives out there.

    What about Velvet?
    here is another fine choice at a fair price. Rock Shox Xc32tk Coil 26" Fork W/poploc & 100mm Travel - 1-1/8" Steerer | CycleSport
    BUSTELO

  18. #18
    SANCTUS
    Reputation: BUSTELO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    226

    sweet deal

    BlueSkyCycling.com - 2011 Rock Shox Reba RL Dual Air Fork OE just pointing out some options in addition to The fine Manitou forks you are considering.
    BUSTELO

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: literocola's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    568
    ^ That is an amazing deal.

    Ive ridden a few of those Reba's on various bikes, and they are solid.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,344
    Quote Originally Posted by BUSTELO View Post
    bought out by Hayes 2007 because they were NEARLY bankrupt.My point is they are not much of a player anymore and I suspect they may go under,very few riders own them and I find that it is difficult to find a mechanic that qualified to maintain them.As I posted the OP is considering Manitou models that are a good choice however I do choose to go with SRAM or Fox due to excellent service support.
    So they were bought out, but I haven't heard anything about the Hayes group going anywhere. They've been gradually expanding their product line over the last 4 years, and now have anything that can meet your needs with the glaring exception of a 160-180 mil fork (which is rumored for 2013?). So they've got enough money for R&D at least.

    The late model forks are solid. Type "Manitou warranty" into the search feature. Can you find a thread about a warranty issue on the late model Mantious? Now try Fox. You will find gargantuan threads at the top of the list regarding Fox air piston issues, creaky crowns etc. that plague the entirety of their product line. I've never had a warranty issue with Manitou. But I have called them and they get back to me within 24 hours.

    As to qualified mechanics. Just look in the mirror. Service manuals are easily accessible. No proprietary suspension fluids recommended, just motor oil and off the shelf stuff from the motorcycle shop.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    205
    I saw that Reba... what does the OE stand for?

  22. #22
    SANCTUS
    Reputation: BUSTELO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    226
    Quote Originally Posted by polecats03 View Post
    I saw that Reba... what does the OE stand for?
    OE= original equipment, the fork was built by Rockshox to be supplied in mass to bike companies.They may have different features or lack of than a fork purchased as aftermarket.I would buy that fork now if I had the bucks
    BUSTELO

  23. #23
    SANCTUS
    Reputation: BUSTELO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    226
    Quote Originally Posted by half_man_half_scab View Post
    So they were bought out, but I haven't heard anything about the Hayes group going anywhere. They've been gradually expanding their product line over the last 4 years, and now have anything that can meet your needs with the glaring exception of a 160-180 mil fork (which is rumored for 2013?). So they've got enough money for R&D at least.

    The late model forks are solid. Type "Manitou warranty" into the search feature. Can you find a thread about a warranty issue on the late model Mantious? Now try Fox. You will find gargantuan threads at the top of the list regarding Fox air piston issues, creaky crowns etc. that plague the entirety of their product line. I've never had a warranty issue with Manitou. But I have called them and they get back to me within 24 hours.

    As to qualified mechanics. Just look in the mirror. Service manuals are easily accessible. No proprietary suspension fluids recommended, just motor oil and off the shelf stuff from the motorcycle shop.
    Yes they are solid forks however I can not remember the last time I have seen a Manitou equipped bike in my area.They have such a small market share, that makes me leery, .For the record I have never owned a Fox because of the isues you have mentioned I am quite impressed with Rockshox tech and reliability since SRAM stepped in.The Manitou forks the OP refers to are nice forks, I am just suggesting other choices in different price ranges.
    BUSTELO

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    157
    Sadly Reba also uses orifice based rebound piston and therefore suffers from the same problems as many other cheap/mid-priced Rockshox forks. That fork needs to be push-tuned to get good performance as they replace rebound damping with shimmed piston: Push Industries - REBA Still price/performance-ratio seems a lot better with Manitou forks, though I don't have any experiences about X-Fusion forks.

    Edit:
    By the way, orifice dampers in forks seem to be very odd way to downgrade suspension performance when the excellent performance of a shim based damper is proven and very widely used. And manufacturing price difference between orifice and shim based damping can't be very high. Seems like marketing bullsh*t and ripoff to me. I can't recall any rear shock that uses orifice based damper for compression or rebound. When you put orifice based (even if it's only orifice rebound) fork on a full suspension bike besides poor performance you got mismatch between front and rear suspension damping performance. And this is not good, at least I always want quite closely matching performance between front and rear. I think it's clear why Fox or Manitou refuses to offer forks without shim based dampers.
    Last edited by tune; 04-04-2012 at 11:33 PM.

  25. #25
    SANCTUS
    Reputation: BUSTELO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    226
    Quote Originally Posted by tune View Post
    Sadly Reba also uses orifice based rebound piston and therefore suffers from the same problems as many other cheap/mid-priced Rockshox forks. That fork needs to be push-tuned to get good performance as they replace rebound damping with shimmed piston: Push Industries - REBA Still price/performance-ratio seems a lot better with Manitou forks, though I don't have any experiences about X-Fusion forks.

    Edit:
    By the way, orifice dampers in forks seem to be very odd way to downgrade suspension performance when the excellent performance of a shim based damper is proven and very widely used. And manufacturing price difference between orifice and shim based damping can't be very high. Seems like marketing bullsh*t and ripoff to me. I can't recall any rear shock that uses orifice based damper for compression or rebound. When you put orifice based (even if it's only orifice rebound) fork on a full suspension bike besides poor performance you got mismatch between front and rear suspension damping performance. And this is not good, at least I always want quite closely matching performance between front and rear. I think it's clear why Fox or Manitou refuses to offer forks without shim based dampers.
    I see your point despite what damping my Recon 351has I find it to suite my needs quite well with a Fox DHX5 coil shock in the rear.
    BUSTELO

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    205
    might just go with Manitou Minute Expert Suspension Fork 100mm Black QR w/Bosses from ModernBike.com

    not too much and im sure i can still get parts for it
    Last edited by polecats03; 04-05-2012 at 03:14 PM.

  27. #27
    Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Reputation: thomllama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    4,237
    Quote Originally Posted by polecats03 View Post
    might just go with Manitou Minute Expert Suspension Fork 100mm Black QR w/Bosses from ModernBike.com

    not too much and im sure i can still get parts for it
    go with the manitou.. I've run both manitou's and Rock shox's... Manitou is going to give you a better and smoother ride quality esp at your weight class, Rock Shox seems to tune their shocks for the under 170lbs group. I weigh in at just under 200lbs and the rock shox are always stiff and harsh riding when set at the proper sag. they are also service whores and need to be rebuilt pretty regular.

    Manitou will be a smoother ride and work with smaller bumps much better than the Rock Shox when set to your weight's proper sag. Also they need servicing much less ( actually have never serviced and of my Manitou's shocks or forks, and some are 6 yrs old)
    the one good thing about the Rock Shox is they are super easy to service and they have tons of info to help you do it yourself.
    anyway, it's up to you, but I'd get the Manitou in a heart beat.
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mullen119's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    4,646
    Tune has nailed it in this thread. Rock Shox makes solid products, but there dampers(both compression and rebound) are lacking unless you get the high end stuff with black box. Manitou forks give you the damper performance of high end forks with the prices of mid range fork.

    As for them going out of business, its not going to happen. Manitou forks are starting to pop up as oem forks for different bikes all over the place. Currently its most common to see the Towers and Circus forks come on bikes, (29'r and DJ bikes), Soon you will start seeing Marvel's coming on XC bikes(they just became available a few months ago) and it will just grow from there. Manitou made a smart decision in 2009 and stopped making crap and redundant products. They dumped what didnt work and kept what did, slowly they have made improvements and sorted out there lineup and soon will have a full line of products that work better then any other fork in there price range.

    You know a company is doing it right when the end users are the ones creating the hype rather then the marketing department. As soon as a 160+mm fork is available, my Lyrik is going to be for sale.

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    205
    so the expert or the pro? pretty much the same thing... ones air only and the other is spring and air... im about 230lbs so i dont know which will be best for me and my crazy riding.

  30. #30
    Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Reputation: thomllama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    4,237
    Quote Originally Posted by polecats03 View Post
    so the expert or the pro? pretty much the same thing... ones air only and the other is spring and air... im about 230lbs so i dont know which will be best for me and my crazy riding.
    well they both are both air and coil, but ya the Pro equalizes the two springs more where the Expert uses the coil mostly and the air is just more for preload and adjustment...

    The Pro is a good bit lighter too, but I believe its a bit pricier too.

    get the one your wallet allows, either one (for that matter any of the Rock Shox's) are going to be a wicked nice step up from a suntour...
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

  31. #31
    SANCTUS
    Reputation: BUSTELO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    226
    Quote Originally Posted by thomllama View Post
    go with the manitou.. I've run both manitou's and Rock shox's... Manitou is going to give you a better and smoother ride quality esp at your weight class, Rock Shox seems to tune their shocks for the under 170lbs group. I weigh in at just under 200lbs and the rock shox are always stiff and harsh riding when set at the proper sag. they are also service whores and need to be rebuilt pretty regular.

    Manitou will be a smoother ride and work with smaller bumps much better than the Rock Shox when set to your weight's proper sag. Also they need servicing much less ( actually have never serviced and of my Manitou's shocks or forks, and some are 6 yrs old)
    the one good thing about the Rock Shox is they are super easy to service and they have tons of info to help you do it yourself.
    anyway, it's up to you, but I'd get the Manitou in a heart beat.
    your post does not make too much sense."service whores" I tear mine down once a year and rebuild it, that is typically of what any fork company is going to suggest if you ride the bike enough.Six years without a rebuild? so many times guys bring their forks in for service and the internals are toast because they have not been maintained."rockshox seems to tune their forks for the under 170lbs group"? yeah most forks come stock with a spring rated for riders under 180lbs or so since that is the average rider weight, solution is to purchase a heavier spring or if its an air fork you have it PUSHED to meet the riders needs, which typically is much more expensive than installing a heavier duty spring.I think my oil and coil Recon rides perfectly over nearly any terrain, also has a poor mans stable platform since I added PopLoc adjustable remote.Like any component manufacturer SRAM offers an entire price spectrum of products and at $375.00 in 2007 I think I bought an excellent fork with great value.I really hope Manitou succeeds financially however they currently are a small player compared to giants Shimano, SRAM and Campagnolo.
    Last edited by BUSTELO; 04-05-2012 at 08:40 PM.
    BUSTELO

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mullen119's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    4,646
    As said above, they Expert uses a coil as the primary spring and use air(up to 50psi) to give some preload and bottom out adjustment. The Pro uses a small coil spring that is active for only the first 25% of travel(to give good small bump complaince). It then switches over to an air spring for the last 75%. You would need to switch coils for either fork.

    Personally, I run coil suspension on my bike(both front and rear). it weights a little more, but gives a much more linear feel and a lot more support in the midstroke. IMO, you cant beat the feel of a good coil fork. Go with the Expert.

  33. #33
    Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Reputation: thomllama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    4,237
    Quote Originally Posted by BUSTELO View Post
    your post does not make too much sense."service whores" I tear mine down once a year and rebuild it, that is typically of what any fork company is going to suggest if you ride the bike enough.Six years without a rebuild? so many times guys bring their forks in for service and the internals are toast because they have not been maintained.".
    no, every yr is too often for the "average rider" yes someone who rides every day, races and such that's a different story. But for the normal "weekend Warrior" a fork should go at least 2-3 yrs without needing to be re-built. I mean the whole thing is based on the same technology that your cars shocks and springs are. you'd freak out if you had to replace those every yr wouldn't you?

    The 6 yr old manitou has been well cared for, Maintenance and complete over haul are too different things. I sold the bike about a yr ago and ran into the guy who bought it a few days ago, everything on it runs beautifully still. the shock and fork still work flawlessly, never leak air or oil, no stiction, cycle perfectly. No, I wouldn't expect every fork to last that long, but I have never had a Rock Shox (both forks and shocks) make it a full yr with out issues, and I've had more than a few.


    Quote Originally Posted by BUSTELO View Post
    ."rockshox seems to tune their forks for the under 170lbs group"? yeah most forks come stock with a spring rated for riders under 180lbs or so since that is the average rider weight, solution is to purchase a heavier spring or if its an air fork you have it PUSHED to meet the riders needs, which typically is much more expensive than installing a heavier duty spring.I think my oil and coil Recon rides perfectly over nearly any terrain,
    so he should buy a new fork for hundreds, then have to send it out for tuning for a hundred or 2 more? Manitou's have the $25 spring that you just unscrew and grease then install your self... and yes he will most likely want to get the heavy spring set over the medium it comes with.

    just for s(-)its and giggles, how much do you weigh?
    What type of riding are you doing?


    Quote Originally Posted by BUSTELO View Post
    I think my oil and coil Recon rides perfectly over nearly any terrain, also has a poor mans stable platform since I added PopLoc adjustable remote.Like any component manufacturer SRAM offers an entire price spectrum of products and at $375.00 in 2007 I think I bought an excellent fork with great value.I really hope Manitou succeeds financially however they currently are a small player compared to giants Shimano, SRAM and Campagnolo.
    don't care who's bigger or smaller, I care about working. I am a big fan of Sram/truvativ for drive train as it works as well or better than Shimano for much less $$. but have not had a single Rock Shox product that didn't have issues.

    I honestly believe it's a weight thing, like I said most people I know who love the Rock Shoxs are in the 170 and under weight class. Just by observation of those I ride with, and personal experience I've noticed this and have no "technical" info but I think Rock Shox focus's on weight of the fork, which is awesome for the fit and athletic racer type, but when you add the extra air pressure to hold a heavier (200lbs and over) rider that the seals and such are just over worked and prematurely blow.

    Dollar for Dollar, for his purposes and ride style he'll most likely get a better performing fork with a Manitou over a Rock Shox.
    Last edited by thomllama; 04-06-2012 at 05:01 AM.
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

  34. #34
    SANCTUS
    Reputation: BUSTELO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    226
    Quote Originally Posted by thomllama View Post
    no, every yr is too often for the "average rider" yes someone who rides every day, races and such that's a different story. But for the normal "weekend Warrior" a fork should go at least 2-3 yrs without needing to be re-built. I mean the whole thing is based on the same technology that your cars shocks and springs are. you'd freak out if you had to replace those every yr wouldn't you?

    The 6 yr old manitou has been well cared for, Maintenance and complete over haul are too different things. I sold the bike about a yr ago and ran into the guy who bought it a few days ago, everything on it runs beautifully still. the shock and fork still work flawlessly, never leak air or oil, no stiction, cycle perfectly. No, I wouldn't expect every fork to last that long, but I have never had a Rock Shox (both forks and shocks) make it a full yr with out issues, and I've had more than a few.



    so he should buy a new fork for hundreds, then have to send it out for tuning for a hundred or 2 more? Manitou's have the $25 spring that you just unscrew and grease then install your self... and yes he will most likely want to get the heavy spring set over the medium it comes with.

    just for s(-)its and giggles, how much do you weigh?
    What type of riding are you doing?



    don't care who's bigger or smaller, I care about working. I am a big fan of Sram/truvativ for drive train as it works as well or better than Shimano for much less $$. but have not had a single Rock Shox product that didn't have issues.

    I honestly believe it's a weight thing, like I said most people I know who love the Rock Shoxs are in the 170 and under weight class. Just by observation of those I ride with, and personal experience I've noticed this and have no "technical" info but I think Rock Shox focus's on weight of the fork, which is awesome for the fit and athletic racer type, but when you add the extra air pressure to hold a heavier (200lbs and over) rider that the seals and such are just over worked and prematurely blow.

    Dollar for Dollar, for his purposes and ride style he'll most likely get a better performing fork with a Manitou over a Rock Shox.
    you stated you have "never" serviced(maintained is same thing, you are splitting hairs) your forks? amazing and apparently that is what you suggest we all do? that is some really bad advice.I do my own wrenching and service my fork every season for about $45.00.that goes for any brand I have ever owned and I suggest that yearly maintenance is necessary for moderate use and above.I strongly believe that if you neglect any fork upkeep you undoubtedly raise the possibility of ruining the fork .Quite an analogy comparing my truck shock to my bike sus? the vast majority of automobile shocks can not be disassembled.Dude.....Rockshox makes a variety of forks for different purposes at many price ranges as does Manitou.My post suggested that heavier riders need oil and coil as air shocks are too expensive to modify.Read my post? I state "or have it PUSHED if it is an air fork" . I totally disagree with your off the cuff assessment of Rockshox reliability, what models are you referring to? the old crappy ones or the newer ones made since SRAM bought out rockshox? Rockshox has a variety of springs that can be dropped into their coil forks, are you aware of that? ?My current weight is 175 lbs however I used to weigh 198, whats your point? one has to tune his bike to rider weight...with a spring change or air pressure adjustment.I have four bikes set up as trail bikes, I am not racing, I trail or commute everyday." I honestly believe its a weight thing" Huh? my friend and I have identical Recon 351 forks, he weighs 240 lbs, my weight 175, obviously we have different springs installed, both of us are quite satisfied in all aspects with this fine mid priced fork.Do you honestly believe that neglecting fork service is a good thing with absolutely no risk involved? preventative maintenance crucial to component lifespan.
    Last edited by BUSTELO; 04-06-2012 at 10:40 AM.
    BUSTELO

  35. #35
    SANCTUS
    Reputation: BUSTELO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    226
    BUSTELO

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    205
    I can get the minute pro for cheaper...

    I think I might just go for the Minute Expert. I hear too many stories of leaky air and crap and I like the time tested idea of coils. I will prob end up changing the coils out and for around $280 i cant beat the expert. The pro looks nice in white but I dont know if i want to drop $400 on a fork.

  37. #37
    SANCTUS
    Reputation: BUSTELO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    226
    dude, the Recon is coil, one one side.The recon does not leak air because it is not an air fork, anyway it has been fun doing a bit of shopping, Manitou is a fine fork.If you want a coil fork for as little as $180.00 that is possible with Rockshox.
    BUSTELO

  38. #38
    SANCTUS
    Reputation: BUSTELO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    226
    BUSTELO

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mullen119's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    4,646
    Quote Originally Posted by polecats03 View Post
    I can get the minute pro for cheaper...

    I think I might just go for the Minute Expert. I hear too many stories of leaky air and crap and I like the time tested idea of coils. I will prob end up changing the coils out and for around $280 i cant beat the expert. The pro looks nice in white but I dont know if i want to drop $400 on a fork.
    You will be happy with it if that is what you decide to get. If you do, my signature is a thread about custom tuning you fork. Its a good read and very informative.

    As for being able to find a Rock Shox fork for cheaper, Its true, you can. But the performance will not be as good. Take it from a guy who has owned many different forks from many brands, Manitou has the best dampers. I like my Manitou Drake(same as Minute Expert) just as much if not more then my Rock Shox Lyrik, even though the Lyrik cost 3 times as much. IMO, There is no other fork available that has the performance of Manitou forks in there respective price range.

  40. #40
    Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Reputation: thomllama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    4,237
    Quote Originally Posted by mullen119 View Post
    You will be happy with it if that is what you decide to get. If you do, my signature is a thread about custom tuning you fork. Its a good read and very informative.

    As for being able to find a Rock Shox fork for cheaper, Its true, you can. But the performance will not be as good. Take it from a guy who has owned many different forks from many brands, Manitou has the best dampers. I like my Manitou Drake(same as Minute Expert) just as much if not more then my Rock Shox Lyrik, even though the Lyrik cost 3 times as much. IMO, There is no other fork available that has the performance of Manitou forks in there respective price range.
    yup... and I like the rear facing arch, it catches less leaves
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mullen119's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    4,646
    Quote Originally Posted by BUSTELO View Post
    You are comparing a fork with a top tier damper(abs+) to a fork with one of the lowest dampers available on the market(turn key). Its not a good comparison.

  42. #42
    Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Reputation: thomllama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    4,237
    Quote Originally Posted by BUSTELO View Post
    dude, the Recon is coil, one one side.The recon does not leak air because it is not an air fork, anyway it has been fun doing a bit of shopping, Manitou is a fine fork.If you want a coil fork for as little as $180.00 that is possible with Rockshox.
    No, there is no air, in the spring, but there is oil in the motion control, and they are famous for leaking oil from the motion control into the lowers (have had it happen personally on both a coil and a Reba air shock) causing the thing to lock up.

    The reba was rebuilt 2 times under Warr in the first 6 months and it happened again within a month of returning... went out and rebuilt it myself and just used slightly larger thickness seals and got it to last just over a yr before doing it again... I just auto rebuild it ever 6-9 months now as it's just going to happen.

    the coil (think it was a tora,..? can't remember now) I sold after the first time... I didn't like the weight or the ride quality. the Reba I still ride on my 29er but only because I just don't want to throw money into a new fork for a 29er bike when I'm probably going to go 650B size wheels. that and I got the oil in stock and the seals cost like 5 bucks at the hardware store.

    And as to servicing the manitou(s) all I've ever had to do was change oil, and it was always like new with no dirt or discoloring after 2 or 3 yrs. never even bothered to change seals or wipers as they never leaked or showed signs of failure.

    I will say I really like the stock wiper seals on the Reba, I got after market ones once and they started giving me oil rings after a few months, reinstalled the old cloth/fabric upper seal and the stock gray wipers during the next rebuild and haven't had a oil ring since...
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

  43. #43
    SANCTUS
    Reputation: BUSTELO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    226
    Quote Originally Posted by polecats03 View Post
    I am looking to upgrade my Suntour which came on my Scott Aspect 55 and I am in the market for a new fork. Any suggestions? I am thinking 9mm QR or 15mm through axel.

    I was thinking about either of these but would love some suggestions or feedback. What are some great RockShox models or other brands? I ride pretty aggressively on single tracks or xc. I also weigh about 230. I dont want to spend too much since my bike was only like $550. Thanks for the help!!

    Manitou Minute Pro Suspension Fork 100mm White QR from ModernBike.com

    or

    Manitou Minute Expert Suspension Fork 100mm Black QR w/Bosses from ModernBike.com
    hey tom...remember this? I Dont want to spend too much" so in response we are providing many choices of forks in low to mid range? I really am baffled as if to why you have so much trouble with Rockshox, that has not been my experience or many others that I know, they do complain substantially about Fox.Hell I even had good luck with an old psylo fork how do you explain this? RockShox Reba SL Dual Air 2010 Forks Reviews
    BUSTELO

  44. #44
    Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Reputation: thomllama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    4,237
    Quote Originally Posted by BUSTELO View Post
    hey tom...remember this? I Dont want to spend too much" so in response we are providing many choices of forks in low to mid range? I really am baffled as if to why you have so much trouble with Rockshox, that has not been my experience or many others that I know, they do complain substantially about Fox.Hell I even had good luck with an old psylo fork how do you explain this? RockShox Reba SL Dual Air 2010 Forks Reviews
    look at any of the Manitou's they have just as good if not better reviews...

    I haven't played with a Rock Shox since the 2009 early 2010 models as I (and others) had so many issues and I do believe they have improved quality, the the ride is still geared more to the "racer" style person, not the weekend warrior. you can argue all you want... but dollar to dollar.. the manitou's will almost always come out ahead for the "average" XC type of rider...
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

  45. #45
    SANCTUS
    Reputation: BUSTELO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    226
    Quote Originally Posted by thomllama View Post
    look at any of the Manitou's they have just as good if not better reviews...

    I haven't played with a Rock Shox since the 2009 early 2010 models as I (and others) had so many issues and I do believe they have improved quality, the the ride is still geared more to the "racer" style person, not the weekend warrior. you can argue all you want... but dollar to dollar.. the manitou's will almost always come out ahead for the "average" XC type of rider...
    Have a look at the posts tom, never said Manitou sucked, and I am aware they have good reviews, why are you so willing to trash an entire fork brand? this coming from a guy who does not believe in regular maintenance, no wonder you have so many problems heres a nice one that will go toe to toe with any fork of this type for the "weekend warrior" AKA a guy who does not ride much so no point in doing upkeep. .Others? you mean like on FORUMS review? very good ratings, have a look, not many folks prescribe to your point of view.
    Lyrik RC2L | SRAM
    BUSTELO

  46. #46
    SANCTUS
    Reputation: BUSTELO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    226
    Quote Originally Posted by mullen119 View Post
    You are comparing a fork with a top tier damper(abs+) to a fork with one of the lowest dampers available on the market(turn key). Its not a good comparison.
    In your opinion obviously, ever notice most Rockshox forks are not turnkey? had one of those where I was able to trim the compression with POPLOC adjust...sweet if you know what I mean.
    BUSTELO

  47. #47
    SANCTUS
    Reputation: BUSTELO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    226

    when will I ever learn?

    You win tom, all Rockshox suck. Urban Dictionary: arguing on the internet
    BUSTELO

  48. #48
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    157
    I can confirm what mullen119 said about TurnKey. It is very much true. TurnKey really is one of the lowest performing oil dampers in the market. It's easy to see why when you open up one. Orifice based dampers never provide good performance (no speed sensitive damping is always a bad thing). Don't get me wrong Rockshox is not a bad option when you get higher end stuff. I'm currently using Rockshox Totem (along with a few other forks) with Mission Control DH -damping with few modifications (performance is still very good in stock condition) and I really like it. It's not comparable to any available orifice dampers in any way and it's really somewhat similar than Manitou TPC (twin piston system with tunable shim stacks for both compression and rebound).

    Price/performance-ratio of those Manitou forks is really excellent as Rockshox doesn't have anything that is comparable when looking damping performance in that same price range. Even if you buy mid-priced Rockshox stuff you get a plastic compression damper (Motion Control and no shim stack) which performance is not quite as good as shim based dampers and that MoCo damper can't be tuned much (changing oil viscosity or adjusting adjusters doesn't provide much tuning possibilities and impossible to get anywhere near excellent damping curve). And you also get that horrible orifice rebound damper as I mentioned before.

    Even if tuning to your personal preference is not something that you are currently considering in any way it might be in the future and it's always good to have that option if you want to change your damping. And if anyone is after excellent performing shock it's almost always impossible to use stock damping configuration with excellent results when it's impossible that same damping configuration suits excellently for different riders with different weights and riding styles. With shim stack damper you have almost endless possibilities to tune that damper to your preference.

    There is a very good reason why almost all (=I haven't found or hear of any other than) modern motorcycle or car dampers are shim based. Never orifice based and not even for rebound.

  49. #49
    Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Reputation: thomllama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    4,237
    Quote Originally Posted by BUSTELO View Post
    Have a look at the posts tom, never said Manitou sucked, and I am aware they have good reviews, why are you so willing to trash an entire fork brand?
    4 forks and 6 shocks from 2005-2009 from Rock Shox and every single one I has ended up issues, most within the first few months. granted they were 90% air shocks/fork that's just my personal, not including many of my friends who've had them... And like I said, many of my racer type, under 170lbs riders love their Reba's and Revelations. Again petty much everyone around here rides air.



    Quote Originally Posted by BUSTELO View Post
    You win tom, all Rockshox suck. Urban Dictionary: arguing on the internet
    oh come now, we were both pointing out good things and allowing the OP to make his own choice. You seem to really like Rock Shox and it's good to have multiple opinions and views so people can make at least a semi educated decision. You made good points that I hadn't had many Coil shocks/forks and I was basing my statements on air systems. And I do believe Rock Shox has improved their reliability in the more recent models, but they have increased their price as well.

    Don't let it get all person, or get your blood pressure up. You like Rock Shox, I don't, we both made our + and - statements to help inform the OP. it's up to him to do a bit more research and make the best choice for him
    Last edited by thomllama; 04-07-2012 at 05:06 AM.
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

  50. #50
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mullen119's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    4,646
    Quote Originally Posted by BUSTELO View Post
    In your opinion obviously, ever notice most Rockshox forks are not turnkey? had one of those where I was able to trim the compression with POPLOC adjust...sweet if you know what I mean.
    The last link you posted before I made that post was to a fork with the TK damper. Im not going to argue with you, I know Rock Shox makes good products, I have owned many of them. (still do) Dollar for dollar, Manitou by far gives you the best performance. The Minute Expert must not be out of his price range because he is fine with buying it. If the OP said it was to expensive, we would have moved on to the next best fork for the money.

  51. #51
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Hampel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    7
    Plus 1 on the Rockshok..

  52. #52
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    5
    hey guys, i have a question since i see we are talkin about shox, i bought a specialized stump jumper m5 frame, and i want to see whats a decent fork i can put on thanks!

  53. #53
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    157
    So I assume that you want fork travel of about 140-150 mm (as that frame seems to be 140 mm travel). What kind of front axle do you have or are going to use and how much is your budget?

    Edit: Or is that a hardtail frame and not Stumpjumper FSR Pro M5?

  54. #54
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    5
    yea its the hard tail one!

  55. #55
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    157
    Then reading this thread should give you educated clue about forks with best price/performance ratio and especially if you are using or going to use standard 9 mm axle. As the original asker of this thread seems to have asked quite much same thing in slightly different way.

  56. #56
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    205
    I think I've decided to go with the 9mm QR Manitou Minute Expert. I love the pro in the white but since im like 230lbs I think the Expert would be best.

  57. #57
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    13
    I'm in the market myself and liking the Reba, but it doesn't seem to have remote lockout. What does everyone think of the SID RL?

  58. #58
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    205
    Would the reverse arch hit my frame if i somehow bottom out the fork? thats the only thing i am worried about

  59. #59
    Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Reputation: thomllama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    4,237
    Quote Originally Posted by polecats03 View Post
    Would the reverse arch hit my frame if i somehow bottom out the fork? thats the only thing i am worried about
    nope.. will hit he crown long before the frame.
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

  60. #60
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    205
    I ended up going for this fork...

    https://www.cycleclubsports.com/p-11...-mars-air.aspx

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.