My "What the f#@!&*#ck is Manitou's problem?" saga continues...- Mtbr.com
    Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004

My "What the f#@!&*#ck is Manitou's problem?" saga continues...

Just thought I'd give an update on my woes with Manitou and my Swinger 4 way air.

In previous posts I mentioned that two months ago I bought a new Swinger 4-way Air and right out of the box the rebound did not work correctly. I call up and they tell me to send it back through my LBS. They say nothing about getting the shipping covered and it cost me $10. I don't expect the LBS to cover it because they did not sell me the shock. They are just helping me out because I buy a lot of other stuff there.

Anyway, I get it back and....no difference. I call up manitou to have them take it back again, and this time they agree to cover the shipping, so it's back to the LBS. I have the LBS give me a second opinion, and they agree something is not right with the rebound and they send it back. While manitou has the shock, I call them to talk about it. They say they have never seen this shock before this time . Strange because I saw the paperwork sent with the shock and the paperwork that it came back with the first time. Anyway, we come to no conclusion about this, but they assured me the shock would be rebuilt. Great!

I get the shock back and........no difference! LBS agrees with my assesment. I call Manitou up and ask if they can just send me a new shock. They agree. I just need to bring my old one back to the LBS. Great! I do so. It takes over a week to get the new one (I'm in CA) and......they sent the wrong size. So they are sending another one. It has again been well over a week and it has still not arrived.

So, I first got this shock on May 4th. It is now July 9th. It has been back to Manitou 2 times with no results, and over the past 3 weeks they have only managed to send me the wrong size.

This sucks. How are these guys still in business?

MK_
    carpe mañana
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta
    Just thought I'd give an update on my woes with Manitou and my Swinger 4 way air.

In previous posts I mentioned that two months ago I bought a new Swinger 4-way Air and right out of the box the rebound did not work correctly. I call up and they tell me to send it back through my LBS. They say nothing about getting the shipping covered and it cost me $10. I don't expect the LBS to cover it because they did not sell me the shock. They are just helping me out because I buy a lot of other stuff there.

Anyway, I get it back and....no difference. I call up manitou to have them take it back again, and this time they agree to cover the shipping, so it's back to the LBS. I have the LBS give me a second opinion, and they agree something is not right with the rebound and they send it back. While manitou has the shock, I call them to talk about it. They say they have never seen this shock before this time . Strange because I saw the paperwork sent with the shock and the paperwork that it came back with the first time. Anyway, we come to no conclusion about this, but they assured me the shock would be rebuilt. Great!

I get the shock back and........no difference! LBS agrees with my assesment. I call Manitou up and ask if they can just send me a new shock. They agree. I just need to bring my old one back to the LBS. Great! I do so. It takes over a week to get the new one (I'm in CA) and......they sent the wrong size. So they are sending another one. It has again been well over a week and it has still not arrived.

So, I first got this shock on May 4th. It is now July 9th. It has been back to Manitou 2 times with no results, and over the past 3 weeks they have only managed to send me the wrong size.

That totally sucks. Hopefully once you get it all straightened out it will be nirvana!

_MK

"The things you get fired for when you’re young are the same things you get Lifetime Achievements for when you’re old."

No, that's not phonetic
    Same thing with my Nixon Platinum a while back. It lost travel spontaneously. I returned it through my LBS. The "fixed" one did the same thing. It also had that lawyer-bait issue of the tire hitting the crown under full compression and the fix was to install a bumper which made the fork lose travel and bottom out abruptly (but before the tire hit the crown- an improvement, I guess). I asked for my money back and Manitou refunded it. Last Manitou I owned.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

TNC
    noMAD man
    Had a similar Cane Creek experience. I dealt with a shock for a Specialized, and Cane Creek supplied a new shock to swap out the old Fox. After 3 incorrect length shocks were sent back and forth, we finally got the right shock. We've dealt with CC on other shocks and products and have always had excellent service and product results. Weird things can happen with any company. We've done lots of direct business with Manitou/Answer on product supply and service issues, and we've always had excellent results with them. You've definitely been "snake bit" in this situation, but regardless of the company's product quality, stuff can occasionally happen with the best of them. I hope this finally gets resolved for you.

Meh.
    Manitou has been great with warranties at both the shops I've worked at.

Have you tried putting the minimum air pressure in the SPV and main body? Without it, rebound and compression will not work correctly.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    Manitou has been great with warranties at both the shops I've worked at.

Have you tried putting the minimum air pressure in the SPV and main body? Without it, rebound and compression will not work correctly.
    Yep, been through all of that. The problem is that with 170 lbs in the main chamber, I can't get enough rebound dampening, even cranked all the way slow. I get some, just not quite enough, and the shock tops out with a noticable "thunk". If I lower it to about 130or 140 there is just enough rebound dampening to prevent this, but I was told by Manitou that the max main chamber pressure is 300psi. Why have a max pressure twice as high as the rebound dampening can handle? I knew I was going to need around 170psi in the chamber, that's why I asked about the max pressure before I bought the shock. I did not think to ask if the rest of the shock would work at 170 psi.

The LBS just called me. Manitou's "shipping department" had a mix up and they never send the replacement for the wrong sized shock. I should see it later this week.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

was wondering about your shock...

Quote Originally Posted by kapusta

I bought a Riddik from Pricepoint which has the 4-way air, "06 I think. The range of rebound adjustment is very small, but there is a small change with adjustment so I figured all was okay. The rebound set all the way slow is still pretty fast but is within my liking. I also have a '04 4-way air on my AC that can be set very slow. I wonder if they cut back on rebound adjustment for a reason? It acts like the rebound needle is too short. If it ever gets straightened out, I'd be curious what the heck is going on with it.

Members who have read this thread: 0