Is my rear shock on upside down?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2009

Is my rear shock on upside down?

Dumb questions here, but bear with the newb.....I purchased a used Ellsworth Truth the other day and the Fox Float rear shock is installed with the shaft pointing up, body on bottom. Is this incorrect? I have not seen them installed on a Truth upside down before......also what criteria does one use for selecting shock travel length were I to replace the whole thing with a brand new shock?

It need s to come off for an air sleeve maint. service anyway so I figured I'd reverse things when I'm done......

Anyone?

mtbr member
    Can go either way but I prefer to mount mine shaft up if possible as you want the weight to be as low as possible (yeah yeah, I know, 99% of us won't notice a diff but physics don't lie!).

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Thanks dude!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I'd be more inclined to install shaft down to allow air can lube to settle on the air piston (to keep it slick/seal well), and also to allow crap on the shaft to run down away from the wiper seals.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Can I just unbolt the sucker and flip it around to re-install?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ALEV8
    Can I just unbolt the sucker and flip it around to re-install?
    You can if you like, just make sure that there will be no clearance issues when its flipped around the other way. You can do this by taking out all the air after flipping it, and cycle the suspension all the way down, see if there is any interference (such as parts of the shock hitting the frame).

Members who have read this thread: 0