My new 06 Fox Triad is being naughty :(- Mtbr.com

Nov 2005

My new 06 Fox Triad is being naughty :(

Hi,

This is my first post, I have searched for answers but haven't found anything so thought I would post.

About 7 weeks ago I bought my brand new Stumpjumper Expert, this was fitted with the Fox Triad.

The first 2 rides were great, setting up the bike everything was fine.

On the 3rd ride the piston compressed into the canister (excuse my lack of correct technical terms) and it wouldn't come back out. I read my fox triad manual and it looked like i was a victim of 'stuck down' and as stated i took the shock back to my LBS who sent it to the local service centre. When i collected the bike they said the piston was probably bent at the manufacturing plant and a new piston was fitted?? (how could it have been if i'd been out on a long ride with no problems)

So, i had the bike back went out on one ride but the shock 'didn't feel right, lock out didn't feel locked out and fully open setting well.. didn't feel like i had full bounce. i went out for another ride the following week about halfway up the first hill i had the sagging feeling and i looked down and the shock was about halfway compressed. got off the bike and the shock would pump a few times but it seemed it was dead!! Again took he triad back to the LBS where the shock was sent back AGAIN! as i write this i am still waiting for the shop to call me regarding the status of the shock!

I hope to god that the shock gets fixed, but im having doubts as to whether there is something wrong with the 06 batch of Triads? Has anyone on here got a new stumpy and are you having problems with it?

I so gutted as I saved for months for the new bike and this has happened, i just don't know what to do if it goes again, im seriously thinking of asking for my money back?

Anyway sorry for the long post, but i didn't know where to turn.

cheers

i

PS: I would like to add that when i got the bike originally i spent a good hour in the LBS setting the sag and got the shock set-up perfect.

Jun 2003

Not the shops fault.

Quote Originally Posted by monkeyboy44
    Hi,

This is my first post, I have searched for answers but haven't found anything so thought I would post.

About 7 weeks ago I bought my brand new Stumpjumper Expert, this was fitted with the Fox Triad.

The first 2 rides were great, setting up the bike everything was fine.

On the 3rd ride the piston compressed into the canister (excuse my lack of correct technical terms) and it wouldn't come back out. I read my fox triad manual and it looked like i was a victim of 'stuck down' and as stated i took the shock back to my LBS who sent it to the local service centre. When i collected the bike they said the piston was probably bent at the manufacturing plant and a new piston was fitted?? (how could it have been if i'd been out on a long ride with no problems)

So, i had the bike back went out on one ride but the shock 'didn't feel right, lock out didn't feel locked out and fully open setting well.. didn't feel like i had full bounce. i went out for another ride the following week about halfway up the first hill i had the sagging feeling and i looked down and the shock was about halfway compressed. got off the bike and the shock would pump a few times but it seemed it was dead!! Again took he triad back to the LBS where the shock was sent back AGAIN! as i write this i am still waiting for the shop to call me regarding the status of the shock!

I hope to god that the shock gets fixed, but im having doubts as to whether there is something wrong with the 06 batch of Triads? Has anyone on here got a new stumpy and are you having problems with it?

I so gutted as I saved for months for the new bike and this has happened, i just don't know what to do if it goes again, im seriously thinking of asking for my money back?

Anyway sorry for the long post, but i didn't know where to turn.

cheers

i

PS: I would like to add that when i got the bike originally i spent a good hour in the LBS setting the sag and got the shock set-up perfect.
    Ask the shop for your RA#, and call Fox directly. (or TF, if that is where it is going.) Ask them about it, and see what they say. Personally, I think that a new shock is in order if it happens again. Give Fox one more shot, and see what happens.

Did the shop have that bike in stock, or was it a special order? Do they have others with that same shock fitted? If so, ask for one.

Remember, none of this is the shops fault, so I am not sure a refund is in order at this point. (As long as the shop is going to bat for you.)

Nov 2005
    thanks for the reply, being dull what do you mean by 'RA#''.

the shop had a Large in stock but i needed a Medium, they ordered this directly from Specialized.

There was an XC Pro in the shop with the same Triad and you could clearly see by the shock length that mine was broke! the shop have been great and even offered me a demo bike to use while mine is being fixed but i declined.

i'm just so paranoid it's going to go again and i cant believe the fox service centre is taking this long to sort it out they are normally very quick.

i think i will call fox anyway and ask them, mmmmmmmm.

Jun 2003

Here.

thanks for the reply, being dull what do you mean by 'RA#''.

the shop had a Large in stock but i needed a Medium, they ordered this directly from Specialized.

There was an XC Pro in the shop with the same Triad and you could clearly see by the shock length that mine was broke! the shop have been great and even offered me a demo bike to use while mine is being fixed but i declined.

i'm just so paranoid it's going to go again and i cant believe the fox service centre is taking this long to sort it out they are normally very quick.

i think i will call fox anyway and ask them, mmmmmmmm.
    RA is Return Authorization #. It allows the company to track your work in progress.

Instead of a loaner bike, what about a loaner shock? Have you asked them if they are willing to swap out a new one for you?

Do not be paranoid. (Paranoia is nothing but a heightened state of awareness, after all.) It will sort itself out.

Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by damion
    RA is Return Authorization #. It allows the company to track your work in progress.

Instead of a loaner bike, what about a loaner shock? Have you asked them if they are willing to swap out a new one for you?

Do not be paranoid. (Paranoia is nothing but a heightened state of awareness, after all.) It will sort itself out.
    just called the shop and it should be back from service centre tomorrow, im going to tell them i want a brand new shock if it goes again, if they complain i''ll have ot take it further i guiess.

cheers.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

Monkey, don't sweat it, this is not an...

uncommon problem with Fox right now. They use a quad seal for the seal between the main chamber and negative chambers in the shock. Quads have their advantages, but are really touchy and easily damaged during installation. I don't know why they didn't just use a double o-ring set up, but... Anyway from the sounds of it the original piston shaft somehow got bent, probably during shipping or something. That would account for your first problem. The action of the bent shaft probably knackered the seal and caused the "stuck down" during use. It just took some riding time for the problem to show up. The next was probably due to some slight damage incured to the seal during re-assembly at the service center. The seals do fit very tight and can be easily damaged if great care is not taken when inserting them into the air can. Hopefully this time out will be the charm and your shock will be fine. I have an 05 Stumpy with the Triad and haven't had a bit of problem with it yet. I would not be surprised if I did though. My solution will be to send it to Push Industries and have them work it over. But that's another story. Just remember it is not the Shop's fault, they didn't intentionally sell you a bike with a bad shock, and it's not Specialized's fault either, they didn't build or design the shock, Fox did. If this does happen again I would push the shop for a new shock or, if they are willing, a pull off on bike that they have in stock. This would get you back on the bike sooner. Just remember that the pull off deal is not required of them. Their only requirement would be to send the old one back to Fox and request a new one under the terms of the warranty. If they are a good shop and concerned about your retrun business they may well be willing to do a pull off for you. But they don't have to.

Anyway, hopefully this time out the problem will be solved. This stuck down thing is a pain in the butt, and hopefully it is being resolved by Fox. Sooner than later I would hope!

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

Nov 2005
    cheers for the 'long' reply! you seem to know your stuff

hopefully everything will be sorted Friday, it's just that feeling of knowing you have a defecative part on your NEW bike

The bike shop have been ok but i cant see him 'borrowing' a shock off another stumpy in store, if it does go again i think they will send it back to fox for a direct new replacement. I'm pretty lucky because where I live the only U.K fox service centre is just down the road. As I have said they have taken a while to get it back to the shop so they must be having problems with it as in it's a brand new on the market so probably havent seen that many this year yet?

I guess all it comes down to is bad luck, somewhere down the line my shock was 'botched' at the production line.

could you explain what 'pushed' is, is this basically getting your shock 'upgraded' with better seals etc for better performance?

Nov 2005
    Squash,

just re-read your post..... did you cut and paste that from another forum? has someone else got the same problem?

cheers

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

Nope that is not a cut and paste, but there was a....

explanation of the quad seal in another forum and the guy was having the same problem, "stuck down" with a DHX Air. It's not a problem that is isolated to the Triad. RP3's, DHX Airs, just about all the Fox rear air shox have been having this problem for the past year or so. So it isn't anything new. I did post in the DHX Air post and have given this explanation a couple of times so you may have seen something similar before.

As for Push Industries. They are a company here in the states that specializes in Fox rear shocks and forks. What they do is take some information from you, namely the model of shock, model of bike it is on (suspension design for a rear), your weight, and your riding style, and you send them your shock or fork. They then custom tune the shock for you, your weight and riding style. This isn't just a set it up type thing. They replace or rebuild the bulk of the internals, new seals, custom calibrate the negative chamber, and custom vlave (no rebuilds, new valves!) the rebound damper and the platform valves. In the case of the Triad, the lock out would be removed and you would end up with an RP3 with three propedal settings, open, soft, and firm. As it is now the Triad has three settings but they are open, lock, and platform. Anyway this isn't really anything new, it's been going on around the race scene for a long time. Manufacutrers would set up at DH and XC races and custom tune their products for racers. Push just went comercial with it and does a great job of tweaking a shock or fork. Basically all they do is custom tune the shock or fork for a given rider. Makes them perform soooo much better. But you do have to be honest with them about your riding style, weight, etc. to get the best performance.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

Jun 2003

PUSH is in the UK also.

THey are working with Tim Flooks at www.tftunedshox.com if you are not in the states.

If you are stateside, checkout www.pushindustries.com

Nov 2005
    thanks guys for your replies, much appreciated

just to update you my bike will be ready tomorrow for me to pick up, thanks for the links aswell i might get my shock 'pimped up'.... hopefully after a few months of 'problem free' riding.

all the best

i

Nov 2005
    well the plot thickens!

just called the bike shop to see if the shock is fixed and the bike is ready..... the bikes fixed.......

the shop said the service centre stated...

"we think the bolts attaching the shock to the frame were done up too tight so this caused the piston not to go fully into the canistor as it wasn't aligned properly"!!!

i don't know much about shocks but that sounds complete b*llox to me! i reckon it is the seals and the service centre don't want to admit there is a fault with the 06 Triads?

what do you gurus think?

PS: In the mantime im going to call my local trading standards office and see where i stand legally and I might give fox a ring aswell, which turns out to be the local service in the U.K centre!!

Jun 2003

Sounds fishy to me.

I do not even know what to say....

There is no cost to you, right?

If you are calling Fox, have your Ra#'a so that they can track the shock's work history somewhat.

Nov 2005
    im in the U.K and my local bike shop sent it to the local fox test centre, it seems they didn't really tell my bike shop much so i might call into them myself and see if they tell me a different story.

hopefully the shock will be ok for the next 1000 rides, fingers crossed!

Nov 2005
    well thought i'd give you an update.

been out on the bike for two rides and the shock has been fine....

but more importantly i sent and email to specialized and they actually called me!

they said there was a fault with the 06 Triad and they were investigating further, if i have anymore problms to contact them and they will send out a new shock asap!

thanks again for the replies.............

Soft AND Tender
    Jun 2005

You might want to post info...

Monkeyboy,

You might want to post this info in the Specialized forum as well. I'm sure that readers who have bought '06 bikes or are considering the new '06 bikes would like to have this information. The more informed the consumer, the better. Thanks for the info.

well thought i'd give you an update.

been out on the bike for two rides and the shock has been fine....

but more importantly i sent and email to specialized and they actually called me!

they said there was a fault with the 06 Triad and they were investigating further, if i have anymore problms to contact them and they will send out a new shock asap!

thanks again for the replies.............

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

another one here

I set my 2006 stumpy up for racing on a rocky course. about a mile into the race the Triad shock got "stuck down" i am sending it back to LBS now.

mtbr member

Same problem

I only had my bike a few days and i went off about a 2 foot jump and the triad shock stuck down....my local shop called fox(sent the other back) and gave me a new one off of one of the other specialized experts(props to my LBS)...i have been riding it alot lately and its been fine with the new shock but i havent done any jumps since that f***ed up.......
    .....maybe all the 2006........ triads are screwed......FOX HAD BETTER STEP UP AND REPLACE THESE PIECES OF ****!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mtbr member

bugger.

Yep. If it can break it will break.

Same MO.
    One week old Stumpjumper Expert. Fox Triad shock. Three or four hours ride time and bang, or as the case may be, sag.
    Shock stuck down.

I'll update on how I fare with the LBS.
    I'm not sure where the shocks are serviced in Australia, so I'm expecting a fair old wait.
    Not happy Jan.

MF
    ride your bike, ride, ride, ride...

mtbr member

Triad

I called fox directly to find out what the hell was with this shock....they told me its a faulty seal...i think the whole line had S H I T T Y ones put in..(once replaced the problem will be fixed...so they say).....they back their product so hopefully its fixed!!

Oct 2006
    Hi, this is my first post. Seems I have the same problem as you guys. I got a new fox triad fitted to my specialized fsr xc 2005 model pro 6 months ago no problems till today. I hadn't been out on it since the end of July. So you can imagine my dissapointment when I was a victim of stuck down. Can't get in touch with Mojo till Monday to see what they say. Does anyone know if the warranty covers stuck down. Cheers kmac

pb2
    yep, the mojo boys will sort you out, they know there stuff and this is just one these things that are sent to try us, loads of us had the same problem with the DHX air

Oct 2006
    cheers yespsb, my shock is with mojo. They told me there was a batch of shocks fitted with dodgy seals and the warranty will cover it, and it should be fine once they're changed. cheers kmac

Jan 2006

I too experienced the "stuck down" rear shock on my '06 Stumpy Expert

it was returned to fox for warranty repair and I just got it back - will keep you posted if I have further problems.

Oct 2006
    sent my shock to mojo on the tuesday got it back on the thursday no questions asked. Service doesn't come much better than that. cheers mojo.

Members who have read this thread: 0