Is my 1. gen Fox Talas unrepairable?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Bonking ... not feelin' well Is my 1. gen Fox Talas unrepairable?

So I managed to break the transfer port shaft of my 2006 Fox Talas RLC while giving it a service, as seen in the pictures below. The transfer port shaft is an essential part which the fork will not function without. Spare parts for first gen Talas forks are no longer available, and I reckon it is not possible to weld this part, given it's made from aluminum, is hollow and requires its extremely tiny venting holes to be preserved to function - or is it?

So, what are my options to avoid scrapping the fork?
    - Top cap assemblies (including transfer port shaft) for newer Talas forks are available on eBay (among other places). Is it possible to use one of those (possibly with some modifications)?
    - Is there some way to modify my fork with the existing parts to turn it into a fixed travel fork, e.g. by fixing the broken part of the transfer port shaft to the transfer port of the negative spring chamber?
    - If the internals of the air spring truly are unrepairable, it should be possible to swap in the internals of an equally-old Float air spring, right?

This is what it's supposed to look like (pictures found on the internet):

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    You have two options:
    - replace just the upper part of the talas cartridge with the same version or newer (may result in different travel) The lastest version (2015 and later) is not compatible
    - replace the full cartridge with whatever you want

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Thanks for replying, so what you're saying is that I can get the top cap assembly for any generation up to and including Talas 4? That's good news, since they are easily available and not too pricey.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I think the chances of getting any parts for that Talas cartridge is pretty much zero.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Ok, so I eventually ordered a Talas 3 top cap assembly which I am currently waiting for to arrive. Does anyone know if it's possible to find the Talas 3 service instructions anywhere? Fox has been kind enough to remove all service instructions older than Talas 5 from their webpages.

I have been able to find the instructions for Talas 1 and 2 from different locations, but the Talas 3 is slightly different as it seems to have done away with the internal floating piston, which means the assembly, lubrication and setup process will be different from the older springs.

No known cure
    Contact PUSH. They made a replacement TALAS cartridge and might have their parts or OEM parts.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    You shouldn't need the service instructions to install it, just remove the talas knob, screw in, reinstall the knob, done.