MRP Ribbon- Mtbr.com
Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: MRP Ribbon

mtbr member

MRP Ribbon

I know Noah from MRP patrols the MTBR forums so I'm hoping he or anyone else with some more knowledge on their new fork coming out this year can help. Is the spec that was released to all the online sites (PB, MTBR, Vital) still the plan? Mainly the fork and tires specs, this was from PB press release:

"There are two separate chassis - one for 27.5'' wheels and another for 29'' wheels - and the former can fit a tire up to 2.6'' wide, while the latter can take a 2.6'' wide 29er tire or a 3.0'' wide 27.5 plus-sized wheel and tire combo."

I ask because the frame I'm looking at needs a 160mm fork and the frame can take a 2.8 tire, although the rims I'm going to run will be something similar to the WTB ASYM i29

Thanks for any help

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Howdy,

Glad you're excited about the Ribbon! I can't wait until it arrives.

Yes, those tire specs are correct. I'm about to mount 29x2.6 Schwalbes on my ride with a 29" 160mm Ribbon.
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP - VP of Business Development
    Pivot Cycles - Team Rider

mtbr member
    This level of CS is why I want this fork and like this company, I've spend 30+ minutes on hold with RockShox for one question. So Noah, your running the 29" ribbon at 160mm, the old press release states that the 29" fork maxes out at 150mm. Did I miss somthing (which is probably the case)?

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Good catch.

Yes, we are now planning to release a 160mm, 27.5+ / 29" Ribbon.
    NOAH SEARS

mtbr member
    Sweet, now if I can find the money to complete the rest of my build. Thanks again Noah for the help and fast repsone, I greatly appreciate it.

mtbr member
    When is this fork going to hit the market?
    How does it ride compared to the stage?
    And please turn the arch around the right way
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    And please turn the arch around the right way
    Heck no! I love that MRP puts function ahead of appearance. That reverse arch will be nice during our 6 months of rain in the PNW.

mtbr member
    I don't know...aesthetics have to be part of the equation as well. I'm a PNW rider & have never really found mud collecting there to be much of an issue when it comes down to it. With the new crop of small super effective fenders it's really a moot point. If there really was a form over function issue here it would be mud/debris collecting at the tight spot/crevice against the seal where the arch joins the stantion which remains unchanged. Seems like kind of an ugly unpolished solution to a non-problem that will enevitably collect dirt anyway, but instead of being hiddin will now be front and center.

With all that said I wouldn't have bothered to right that out if I weren't completely board right now. I'm sure it's a rad fork and I will own one. As a whole MRP is great company I'm stoked to support and have found my stage along with MRP's customer service to be stellar.

mtbr member
    The reverse arch is an interesting business decision. I have never heard anybody in my riding circle complain about dirt accumulating behind the arch, and I'm in the PNW. I could see more people not purchasing the fork due to appearances than people making the purchase due to this feature.

If performance and durability are greater than other fork options, I could see myself looking past it though.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    Oh good! MRP let it slip that there will be a 160 29r fork! Now we can start talking about it! HOORAY!

If the Ribbon represents improvements to the Stage fork (which it does) it will probably be the best fork out there. People will see benefits from Ramp Control on their RS and Fox product, read up on the drama dealing with Fox and the poor damper adjustments on the Charger and head straight to MRP!

Keep up the great work MRP!

mk
    TrailWerks Cyclery
    TrailWerks Suspension Service

trailwerkssuspension.com
    trailwerkscyclery.com

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Thanks all.

Production starts in March. That doesn't mean we're receive a shipping container of forks in March, it means we start producing these babies one by one here in Grand Junction.

Regarding the forward-facing pocketing (I hate the term reverse arch, sounds like it refers to a Manitou), there were practical and aesthetic reasons for that decision. I'm looking at a Ribbon right now and I think it looks boss, but I understand people have different tastes and opinions. Not only does it provide the "anti-mud" benefit, it also gives us a unique look in a sea of all black forks. It also made us spend A LOT of time making that area of the fork look finished AND be weight-efficient as possible, which I believe helped us achieve the awesome overall weight of the fork. I doubt many designers spend much time optimizing the hidden pockets found on a traditional lower leg casting.
    NOAH SEARS

Off the back...
    They're Speed Pockets (TM). Looking forward to putting a Ribbon on a Banshee Prime!

J:

Good job! Where's the best place for info/spec??

Cool...I have completely missed out on this, so many questions, what's axle to crown? can it be lowered from 160mm? Tia
    video=youtube;][/video]...

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Quote Originally Posted by J: View Post
    Cool...I have completely missed out on this, so many questions, what's axle to crown? can it be lowered from 160mm? Tia
    We'll have a product page up once we get closer to launch. For now there are quite a few stories on the fork from the tradeshow season.

MTBR
    Pinkbike
    BikeRadar
    Vital
    MTB-news.de

I don't recall axle-to-crown off-hand, but it's in-line with the competition. I wanna say 562mm for 29" 150mm?

Of course you can lower it from 160mm, it's internally adjustable from 120-160mm with spacers (included). We even include 5mm spacers in case you want a 135mm or 155mm fork.
    NOAH SEARS

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by NoahColorado View Post
    We'll have a product page up once we get closer to launch. For now there are quite a few stories on the fork from the tradeshow season.

Of course you can lower it from 160mm, it's internally adjustable from 120-160mm with spacers (included). We even include 5mm spacers in case you want a 135mm or 155mm fork.
    Noah,

Any chance there will be a 180mm 27.5 fork?

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Quote Originally Posted by zutroy View Post
    Noah,

Any chance there will be a 180mm 27.5 fork?
    Nope. The 27.5" only goes to 170mm.
    NOAH SEARS

mtbr member
    We even include 5mm spacers in case you want a 135mm or 155mm fork.
    That'a awesome

I'm with stupid

MTBR
    Pinkbike
    BikeRadar
    Vital
    MTB-news.de

I don't recall axle-to-crown off-hand, but it's in-line with the competition. I wanna say 562mm for 29" 150mm?

Maybe good old Canfield Bros will let us run this 160mm for on the front of our Riots since it will only be a touch longer then the pike 140. If so, sign me up for a new fork.

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Sorry if I was unclear. The axle-to-crown height for the 29" Ribbon is the same as the Pike at the same travel. So a 160mm Ribbon will be 20mm taller than a 140mm Pike.

I will double check with engineering, but the last info I have calls out a 561mm a2c for the 150mm Ribbon. (thus 551mm @ 140mm and 571mm @ 160mm).
    NOAH SEARS

J:

MTBR
    Pinkbike
    BikeRadar
    Vital
    MTB-news.de

Thanks. Sounds well thought out, can't wait...those 5mm increments are a HUGH help in tuning front/rear weight balance. IME, the 10mm that others use in air spring setups end up slightly "off" when dialing in the attack vs seated weight balance and shock tune
    video=youtube;][/video]...

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Noah, I'm considering a stage (I don't need the boost compatibility that the ribbon provides) but have a couple questions relating to the improvements in the ribbon that I've heard might make it to the stage. Basically, improved air spring, pssst valves, & tooled axles. Are any/all of these making their way to the stage?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Quote Originally Posted by Groghunter View Post
    Noah, I'm considering a stage (I don't need the boost compatibility that the ribbon provides) but have a couple questions relating to the improvements in the ribbon that I've heard might make it to the stage. Basically, improved air spring, pssst valves, & tooled axles. Are any/all of these making their way to the stage?

Hi Grog,

The Stage has already received the spring and damper updates found in the Ribbon. However, it won't be getting PSST valves or tooled axle options as those would require casting changes.
    NOAH SEARS

mtbr member
    The new stage as the independent negative spring circuit?

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    The new stage as the independent negative spring circuit?
    Yessir. Just realized the website is not updated, I'll do that!
    NOAH SEARS

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Hi Grog,

The Stage has already received the spring and damper updates found in the Ribbon. However, it won't be getting PSST valves or tooled axle options as those would require casting changes.
    Guess I'll have to consider going ribbon then... I do have a hope hub, so guess going boost isn't too big a deal... I just don't love mixing boost/non-boost on one bike, just for OCD reasons.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Yessir. Just realized the website is not updated, I'll do that!
    I have a 2015 Stage, is it possible to update any of the internals to reflect the latest technology offered by MRP?

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    ^This

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Quote Originally Posted by LaXCarp View Post
    I have a 2015 Stage, is it possible to update any of the internals to reflect the latest technology offered by MRP?
    For sure! Call HQ and talk to Eric to get pricing. 970-241-3518
    NOAH SEARS

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    I just don't love mixing boost/non-boost on one bike, just for OCD reasons.
    I'm using a non-Boost DT front hub with our Better Boost Adapters on my Switchblade that has SuperBoost Plus™ - how does that make your OCD feel? Haha.
    NOAH SEARS

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I'm using a non-Boost DT front hub with our Better Boost Adapters on my Switchblade that has SuperBoost Plus™ - how does that make your OCD feel? Haha.
    It's at least boost front & rear, just a more different rear boost! Where it really gets me is companies selling a boost frame with a 15x100mm fork, or vice versa, it's like, "way to screw your customer out of ever buying an off the shelf wheelset."

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    So - if the Ribbon is an update of the Stage - which i've owned on previous bike (and yes - it was better than the Pike it replaced and any previous gen Fox) - i believe this should and will be the upgrade on the new bike - can't wait for the release and more info to flow!

Gotta love made in the USA by a bunch a passionate riders!! Keep up the great work and innovation!!

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Cheers! Thanks! Wishing I was out riding my Ribbon right now, dang rain!
    NOAH SEARS

mtbr member
    Was going to order a Fox 34 Fit 4 for my 27.5+ build. That way i can run 27.5x2.8 or 29 x 3.0 with 120 mm of travel.

Will the MRP boost offer 120 for these tire sizes?
    If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains,
    you're lucky enough.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by azjonboy View Post
    Was going to order a Fox 34 Fit 4 for my 27.5+ build. That way i can run 27.5x2.8 or 29 x 3.0 with 120 mm of travel.

No. You can use the 29'er version at 120mm of travel and use the 2.8" 27.5 tire in it, but it tops out at 2.6" for 29'er tires.

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Quote Originally Posted by azjonboy View Post

I don't believe Fox says that a 29x3.0 will fit in their fork and, likewise, we don't either. However, what tire you can squeeze in any fork is up to many factors: true size, rim width, and acceptable/appropriate clearance. I can tell you I have a Schwalbe 29x2.6 NN in my Ribbon 29 and it has a ton of clearance.

Are you going to run a 27.5x2.8 and 29x3.0 in the same bike? Seems like a big wheelsize discrepancy.
    NOAH SEARS

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Any updates on availability, Noah?

Off the back...
    It's up on the MRP site: Ribbon — MRP

Anyone get a chance to ride it at the Sedona MTB Fest?

mtbr member
    Reverse arch doesn't look bad after all.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    No lie. At first I didn't like it, but it didn't take me long to get to the point where I think it's the best looking fork on the market.

mtbr member
    No lie. At first I didn't like it, but it didn't take me long to get to the point where I think it's the best looking fork on the market.
    How much did you have to drink?

mtbr member
    Lol

SISSIF

Cool-blue Rhythm

Looks good. Can't wait to see how it rides!
    MRP Ribbon-20170320_160559.jpg
    Big Wheels and Fat Skis keep me young.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I love the Colorado decals but haven't seen them as an option on the website. Anyway to get those?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCanary View Post
    Looks good. Can't wait to see how it rides!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170320_160559.jpg 
Views:	915 
Size:	109.8 KB 
ID:	1127729
    Cool!, keep us posted. You putting that on a wreck? Think I remember you over in that forum.

SISSIF
    Going on the Primer at 140 travel to start. Thinking about over-forking the Wrecker, I think they'll compliment each other well.
    CO stickers recommended by MRP. Called them up and ordered direct, thanks MRP!

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Quote Originally Posted by CDubz View Post
    I love the Colorado decals but haven't seen them as an option on the website. Anyway to get those?
    Thanks, and sure, they're a standard option. I'll add them to the website.
    NOAH SEARS

mtbr member
    MRP should design a fender with a male waffle pattern on a tab that snaps into the arch.

I'm with stupid
    Is there a axle to crown spec sheet on these out there yet?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan View Post
    MRP should design a fender with a male waffle pattern on a tab that snaps into the arch.
    Or anything that snaps in. Maybe a piece that snaps in which you could attach nothing, half, or full fender.

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    UPDATED

Axle-to-crown: 562mm for 170mm 27.5", 572mm for 160mm 27.5+29"
    Last edited by NoahColorado; 03-29-2017 at 10:27 AM.
    NOAH SEARS

mtbr member
    any chance for a Dirt Wizard 29x3.0 to fit in this fork?

any picture of the fork with a wheel in?

thx

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Quote Originally Posted by savo View Post
    any chance for a Dirt Wizard 29x3.0 to fit in this fork?

any picture of the fork with a wheel in?

thx
    Haven't tried a Dirt Wizard. And we didn't design it for 29+.

That said, here is my fork with a Nobby Nic 29x2.6 on a ~30 ID rim. Heaps of room.

NOAH SEARS

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Soo.. from a stiffness/burliness standpoint:

Stage = Pike?
    Ribbon = Lyrik?

That would be amazing considering the weight.

mtbr member
    In the Facebook live Q&A it was mentioned that the Shockwiz would not play well with the Ramp Control. I assume this would be the case if you are continually adjusting it for trail conditions? If I found the sweet spot in the Ramp Control for my trails, the Shockwiz would work?

SISSIF

First Impressions

MRP Ribbon-ribbon.jpg

Ribbon replacing the Stage on this bike, ridden mainly Pike(stock and custom) and Fox 34 or 36 before trying the MRP forks. The Stage was new enough that it had the Ribbon internals(Dual air and IFP damper) allowing a glimpse of the future. Having the Stage dialed made the decision easier when I started looking for a boost fork. The Ribbon is bigger, boostier, burlier, more refined ...and... lighter? Sounds good.
    Despite the burlier look side by side with the Stage(or Pike), the Ribbon has a very sculpted and refined appearance. Recommended set-up is the same for the Ribbon and Stage so I moved the settings over. I did start with a little lower air pressure, assuming the air chamber is a little larger with the 35mm stanchions , and new seals. Ride has been very supple yet the Ribbon seems to ride a little higher than the Stage. Initial impression is that it's stiffer/tracks better pushing it through rocky, rooty corners. Only about 30 miles so far in a couple of rides but really like it on this bike. Hope to open it up on some bigger trails soon and tweak the settings.

Lots of room for some big rubber, along with plenty of mud clearance if you get caught out.

MRP Ribbon-mud.jpg

OutCast Arch looks to work as designed.

MRP Ribbon-outcast.jpg

Haven't had a big Psst! yet, but I like leaving the zip ties for cable management.

So far liking the MRP approach, style, design and the great customer support!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Awesome you share info.
    Currently looking for new 29 160mm boost which is going to replace Pike.
    Can You share some info how it compare when speaking of culture of work and small bump sensitivity?

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Howdy. The Shockwiz will not work with MRP forks or forks with Ramp Control cartridges, full stop.

The Ramp Control mechanism is effectively using air as the damping medium. Since the schrader valve leads to the "Ramp Controlled" section of the air spring and the Shockwiz measures changes in air pressure through the valve, it will be unable to decipher any meaningful data in use.

Basically, Ramp Control gives you different compression ratios at different stroke speeds. At low stroke speeds, the feature is effectively invisible: air compressed at a slow rate goes right into the chamber unfettered. At high shaft speeds (and Ramp Control turned up) air cannot get into the Ramp Controlled section of the airspring quick enough, so you have a similar effect to volume reduced air spring: the effective spring rate ramps heavily.

As an example, say there are 20 of us in a small room with one exit. If we all get up and leave, one by one, theres not bottleneck at the door (a slow-speed compression event). However, if we all get up at the same time and try to rush out, we'll get stuck in the door (a high-speed compression event). This is exactly what happens in the event of a "spike" to oil in in a damper. The speed of the compression event overwhelms the damping circuit and so much oil is trying to pass through that it jams (oil is not compressible). But the beauty of using air as the damping medium is that it can be almost infinitely compressed, so it can never truly spike.

So the pressure in the Ramp Controlled section of the air spring actually may not change dramatically in a high speed hit (especially with a heavy amount of Ramp Control added). A Shockwiz would see this and interpret this a small bump, or maybe no bump at all.

In a nutshell, it don't work.
    NOAH SEARS

mtbr member
    May 2006
    There are other ways to get telemetry without a shockwiz or expensive pro setup: haven't had a chance to try it yet, but Andrextr shows a method in one of his YouTube videos that only requires a go pro & a free piece of software called kinovea.

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Recommended set-up is the same for the Ribbon and Stage so I moved the settings over. I did start with a little lower air pressure, assuming the air chamber is a little larger with the 35mm stanchions !
    Awesome! Thanks for sharing your impressions!

That's correct that the Ribbon will take slightly lower pressure than the Stage. We're finding most people like ~40%(in PSI) of bodyweight (in lbs.). This is not yet reflected in the quick setup card, but it is in the Owner's Manual. As well, longer-travel models require less air than shorter-travel models.

I ride both a 160mm Ribbon and a 135mm model (both 29"). I'm 175lbs and am liking 70 psi. pos. / 80 psi. neg. in my 160mm fork. And in my 135mm fork, 81 psi. pos. / 86 psi. neg. I like the higher relative pressure difference in the long-travel fork because I want all the suppleness I can get on a slack enduro bike (but an appropriate amount of Ramp too), whereas I like the slightly tauter initial stroke on my shorter-travel XC rig (and a ton of Ramp, because without it my big-a** would be using all 135mm of travel quickly, since I tend to ride my XC bike like a much bigger bike).
    NOAH SEARS

mtbr member
    May 2006

That's correct that the Ribbon will take slightly lower pressure than the Stage. We're finding most people like ~40%(in PSI) of bodyweight (in lbs.). This is not yet reflected in the quick setup card, but it is in the Owner's Manual. As well, longer-travel models require less air than shorter-travel models.

I ride both a 160mm Ribbon and a 135mm model (both 29"). I'm 175lbs and am liking 70 psi. pos. / 80 psi. neg. in my 160mm fork. And in my 135mm fork, 81 psi. pos. / 86 psi. neg. I like the higher relative pressure difference in the long-travel fork because I want all the suppleness I can get on a slack enduro bike (but an appropriate amount of Ramp too), whereas I like the slightly tauter initial stroke on my shorter-travel XC rig (and a ton of Ramp, because without it my big-a** would be using all 135mm of travel quickly, since I tend to ride my XC bike like a much bigger bike).
    You gotta include clicks of ramp control with this, otherwise it's hard to gauge.

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    You gotta include clicks of ramp control with this, otherwise it's hard to gauge.
    There are 16 clicks in the range. I'm usually at 6-8 on the enduro bike and 12 or so on the XC whip (counting from full-open). More than that on the XC bike (especially on rougher courses) adds to fatigue on longer rides. I might add more on a particular trail or a shorter segment to deal with specific hits/features I know about. But in something like an endurance race, leaving the last little bit of available travel on the table over and over again wears you down.
    NOAH SEARS

SISSIF
    Quote Originally Posted by Placek View Post
    Awesome you share info.
    Currently looking for new 29 160mm boost which is going to replace Pike.
    Can You share some info how it compare when speaking of culture of work and small bump sensitivity?
    Currently running the Ribbon at 140 but wouldn't hesitate to run it at 160, very solid fork. Small bump sensitivity is the best I've ridden on a new fork. Lower stiction and breakaway force than the Stage and its great that the negative spring can be set 5-10% above the main air spring pressure.

SISSIF

The Ribbon has been very impressive so far. I appreciate the insight on fork set-up, very helpful. I'm running closer to %50 (PSI to lbs) but at 140 travel and it's very supple. Don't know if thats better seals, fit and finish, or if it might have a touch larger negative chamber? It feels like the slightly higher pressure may give more mid-support and doesn't hurt small bump since I can run the negative PSI up to %110. I like being able to adjust the Ramp according to the trails as well.
    I'm certainly no expert, but I like attempting to understand the whys and wherefores of the fork design to optimize the set-up. Definitely a fork with a big sweet spot where the tradeoffs in settings don't compromise performance. Very easy to use and fun to fiddle with.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    If people are sharing settings could we include where the rebound is with these as well. I'd love a few baseline tunes to try when I get mine next week.

SISSIF
    I'll post up some settings up after a few more rides. Fork is still breaking in(pretty amazing OOTB) and doing some bracketing on bigger stuff before I'll consider it dialed.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I'll post up some settings up after a few more rides. Fork is still breaking in(pretty amazing OOTB) and doing some bracketing on bigger stuff before I'll consider it dialed.
    Cool thanks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    besides direct from MRP - any LBS in front range stocking/selling? or online vendors where an active junky rebate kicks in?

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    NOAH SEARS

Braaap
    Quote Originally Posted by kamper11 View Post
    besides direct from MRP - any LBS in front range stocking/selling? or online vendors where an active junky rebate kicks in?
    Soon. We don't have any available just yet, but soon.
    Dirt Merchant Bicycles
    Providing unrivaled support and unbeatable pricing on all cycling goods to riders near and far.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Seems that while jenson has them listed, they aren't in stock. They quote a 4-6 week lead time.

That said, it's odd that they aren't listing all of the available travel configurations (for the 29er model anyway), just 120, 130 and 140mm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Quote Originally Posted by incubus View Post
    Seems that while jenson has them listed, they aren't in stock. They quote a 4-6 week lead time.

That said, it's odd that they aren't listing all of the available travel configurations (for the 29er model anyway), just 120, 130 and 140mm

Looks like they have (2) 27.5" forks and (1) 27.5+ / 29" in stock. These forks are easily convertible travel-wise. You're only out of luck if you want a 160mm 27.5+ / 29" - because the shorter-travel models can't be up-traveled all the way to 160mm.
    Last edited by NoahColorado; 04-06-2017 at 04:03 PM.
    NOAH SEARS

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Looks like they have (2) 27.5" forks and (1) 27.5+ / 29" in stock. These forks are easily convertible travel-wise. You're only out of luck if you want a 160mm 27.5+ / 29" - because the shorter-travel models can't by up-traveled to 160mm.
    My bad, I just spot checked one configuration of each model.

I'm interested in the 29er in 150mm. Any idea the A2C of this configuration?

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    I'm interested in the 29er in 150mm. Any idea the A2C of this configuration?
    562mm. Cheers!
    NOAH SEARS

AOK
    mtbr member
    because the shorter-travel models can't by up-traveled to 160mm.
    Noah - can you clarify this?

Can travel never be increased from original setting? (i.e. a stock 130 could not be increased to 140)

Or is there some overlap between models? I recall some of the older MRP forks had a travel range - like a "short model" that was adjustable anywhere from 100 - 130 and a "long model" that could go say 120-150. Or something like that.

Thanks!

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Quote Originally Posted by AOK View Post
    Noah - can you clarify this?
    This info only pertains to the 27.5+/29" models....

Here are are stock models as of today and their internal travel adjustment range:
    27.5+/29 120mm, 115-150mm
    27.5+/29 130mm, 115-150mm
    27.5+/29 140mm, 115-150mm
    27.5+/29 150mm, 115-150mm
    27.5+/29 160mm, 125-160mm

As you can see, the 160mm model is slightly different and the others can't take their travel up to 160mm. The 160mm requires a longer damper tube and uses a higher volume of oil.

However, in the near future we are changing this to the following:
    27.5+/29 120mm, 115-150mm
    27.5+/29 130mm, 115-150mm
    27.5+/29 140mm, 125-160mm
    27.5+/29 150mm, 125-160mm
    27.5+/29 160mm, 125-160mm

Models ordered at 140 and 150mm will then feature the longer damper tube and be able to go as long as 160mm. When we make this change we will add some sort of additional digit or letter to the serial numbers or some other indicator to signify whether the fork has a long or short-travel damper.

It should be noted that you can space the forks down further than the described ranges, however you'll need to purchase or procure additional travel spacers (only 35mm worth are included with the forks).
    NOAH SEARS

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    So - decided to keep it local VS going online to get a nominal discount. This thread and others for the Stage and other MRP products show the commitment and service MRP have to their brand - but more important the customer. Lots of good stuff out there but if the Ribbon is indeed a beefed up and even better Stage (which i ran for over a year and loved!) than no need to look any further frankly!

Should be awesome on my Colorado Spot Rollik!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    And a question for MRP - do you have instructions posted for changing the fork travel?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    got the info i needed friday from the mrp crew - thanks

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    got the info i needed friday from the mrp crew - thanks
    Cool. I'm actually shooting a tech video on this tomorrow. It should be edited and up early next week.
    NOAH SEARS

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Ganderson View Post
    Soo.. from a stiffness/burliness standpoint:

Stage = Pike?
    Ribbon = Lyrik?

That would be amazing considering the weight.
    Would still like to know where this fork sits in the burliness spectrum.. I've got a Knolly Warden with 160mm Pike and with me being over 200lbs it really is crying out for a Lyrik or similar.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    First ride tonight on just installed MRP Ribbon on my Spot Rollik...

Glad I checked the forums as the setup card was barely given me any travel while setting up in garage. at about 160lbs i originally set at 80 positive and 85ish negative. felt way firm

Dropped it to just under 70 positive and 78ish negative. 11 clicks from closed rebound, 6 clicks ramp. I didn't get that really supple off the top feel, and overall pretty firm, yet overall really really solid and stout feeling and frankly nothing bad on the trail - just a bit more firm than i like - will simply need to keep working towards my desired feel for this fork.

I probably used btw 2/3- 3/4 of the travel - closer to 2/3. I backed ramp off to 4 but believe i need to get my pressures set. Not sure i was even close to btw 15-20% sag.

I'll try the tip from Noah previously regarding riders liking the ~40% riding weight for pos (64ish psi for me) and close to 75 neg... If anyone reading this thinks thats off let me know.

Cheers for now -

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Hey Kamper11,

Check out this chart I'm using for setting up forks at demo events. I'm still tweaking it here and there, but it's coming together and pretty solid as-is.

MRP Ribbon-screen-shot-2017-04-12-12.47.03-pm.jpg
    NOAH SEARS

SISSIF
    Pretty bang-on with that chart. Running 140mm on the trail 29er. #180 rider. PSI #80+, #88-. Rebound 9-10 out, ramp 7-11 depending on trail, first third of the LSC depending on trail.
    Fork is running great. Walks through chunder pedaling, great pushing through Corners, haven't had a hard bottom out yet even as the bigger trails are opening up. Best stock fork I've had so far, can't honestly think what a custom tune would fix at this point.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Any comments on how this
    Compares to new 36?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    THANKS - nice to see my calculator nailed it at 64psi based on a previous post - i was a little wary to go there tho - now - everything has been re-adjusted - just need to ride, but around the hood it felt better!! Thanks again!

SISSIF
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaysrubi View Post
    Any comments on how this
    Compares to new 36?

Definitely closer to the 36 than the 34 for the stiffness and burly factor. Also seems a step up from the Pike, though the Pike was not Boost. Really reminds me of the 36 for tracking through rocky/rooty corners at speed. Haven't been on the 36 for a couple of years and that was 160 travel to 140 currently on the Ribbon. Have been on the Fox 34 with the E16 damper tune and prefer the Ribbon for both spring curve and damper.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Just ordered one for my upcoming Phantom build. Stoked to give it a whirl.
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Definitely closer to the 36 than the 34 for the stiffness and burly factor. Also seems a step up from the Pike, though the Pike was not Boost. Really reminds me of the 36 for tracking through rocky/rooty corners at speed. Haven't been on the 36 for a couple of years and that was 160 travel to 140 currently on the Ribbon. Have been on the Fox 34 with the E16 damper tune and prefer the Ribbon for both spring curve and damper.
    Thank you

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    2nd ride in - same trail loop. new settings are better than first ride. This fork is stiffer and more capable and controlled than the F34(grip damper) it replaced. It is easy to get the really supple small bump without going to say a 25 - 30% sag (like i had to on F34) also - it rides higher in the travel and feels more controlled as speed, bump frequency and bump size increased... Really composed. As it is - even off the biggest of hits last night - fork felt better overall yet still left at least 2 inches of un-used travel so I suspect I may back ramp off one more click or play w air pressures even a little bit more.

As a side note - my Spot Rollik came spec'd w 150mm travel so growing this a bit to 160mm should result in silghtly slacker head angle (apprx 66.6) and slightly longer wb. the bike really feels composed on the DH wi no adverse effects to climbing (no additional wheel wander or rider adjustments necessary) and still just as nimble to get up or down the tightest switch backs. Cant wait to gain a few more rides and really get this dialed in!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    These settings definitely an overall improvement for me and my riding. Really appreciate the support you guys offer.

I still feel like i can or should be getting "more" as my last ride, on some fast DH w jumpy features and deep compressions - and I still have 2 full inches of stanchion untouched. I don't feel I need to be bottoming out - but feel i'd like to know I'm using all of it! or is that simply forum conditioning?

Settings are (depending on shock gauge accuracy) should be within a 1-2 psi of the card you posted. Rebound started at 13 but closed 1 to 12.
    Ramp is at 3 from start or least progressive.

My couple questions are:

How much stanchion should be left at bottom out (i suspect "some")
    Would air pressure to pos or neg alter this?
    OR - is it Ramp?

Overall - i really like the way the fork feels - better than the highly regarded 2017 Fox 34 it replaces. It is burly/stiff and does nothing strange. Composed and smooth!

SISSIF
    Let all the air out, negative and positive and check the travel. May be getting a fair amount of natural spring progression running at 160. I'd try a little less positive/more sag and more neutral negative (=pos), and maybe zero ramp till you see how the fork is working through the whole range of travel - or whatever Noah says. ;-)
    I like how effective the mid stroke is - not just passing through - and I've only seen top out a few times. Usually 10-15mm reserve, so less than you're seeing.
    Last edited by TheCanary; 04-17-2017 at 10:26 AM.

AOK
    mtbr member
    This fork is stiffer and more capable and controlled .... it rides higher in the travel and feels more controlled as speed, bump frequency and bump size increased... Really composed.
    This is pretty much exactly what I thought when I got my Stage a few years ago. Also pretty much sums up why I haven't been interested in another fork since then. Except maybe a Ribbon someday.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016

MRP Ribbon

Is there any info out there regarding regarding the process to change the travel on the fork?

I've looked in the MRP website but didn't find anything.

Braaap
    Quote Originally Posted by Apolonios View Post
    Is there any info out there regarding regarding the process to change the travel on the fork?

Printed instructions are included with all forks.
    Dirt Merchant Bicycles
    Providing unrivaled support and unbeatable pricing on all cycling goods to riders near and far.

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR

Video forthcoming - we shot it last week but now I'm away at Sea Otter. Do you need instructions ASAP or are you just curious? Our service guy will be happy to help you and send you directions. [email protected]

Cheers!
    NOAH SEARS

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    No I'm just curious. Im considering this fork for a new build and I may need to adjust the travel.

Wanted to get a feel if I needed a PHD to get it done. Looking forward for the video.

Braaap
    It's easier than most, but you'll still need to drop the lowers and re-up the bath oil. 10mm socket, internal snap ring pliers...hammer. I think that's it.
    Dirt Merchant Bicycles

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    No I'm just curious. Im considering this fork for a new build and I may need to adjust the travel.

Wanted to get a feel if I needed a PHD to get it done. Looking forward for the video.
    Cool. I'm confident in saying it's the easiest travel change procedure of any fork on the market. You'll see once we get the video up.
    NOAH SEARS

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Hi Noah

Please tell me more about the ramp control for the 36, I have an Avalanche cartridge and its VERY progressive in the last part of the travel, how much more linear can i make the spring rate with your system ?

Also, when will UK distributors be getting them ?

cheers

Richie

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Noah/Dirt, Thanks for the info.

I'm looking forward for the video. I saw a two year old video for the Stage and it didn't look too bad.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Hey Noah, do you have a link to the Owner's Manual? I don't see it on the MRP website and all I got with my Ribbon was the quick setup card. Thanks!

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Quote Originally Posted by jmvdigital View Post
    Hey Noah, do you have a link to the Owner's Manual? I don't see it on the MRP website and all I got with my Ribbon was the quick setup card. Thanks!
    Sorry dude! Just catching up from Sea Otter. Link here.

Pressure chart here.
    NOAH SEARS

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Howdy. The Shockwiz will not work with MRP forks or forks with Ramp Control cartridges, full stop.

The Ramp Control mechanism is effectively using air as the damping medium. Since the schrader valve leads to the "Ramp Controlled" section of the air spring and the Shockwiz measures changes in air pressure through the valve, it will be unable to decipher any meaningful data in use.

Basically, Ramp Control gives you different compression ratios at different stroke speeds. At low stroke speeds, the feature is effectively invisible: air compressed at a slow rate goes right into the chamber unfettered. At high shaft speeds (and Ramp Control turned up) air cannot get into the Ramp Controlled section of the airspring quick enough, so you have a similar effect to volume reduced air spring: the effective spring rate ramps heavily.

As an example, say there are 20 of us in a small room with one exit. If we all get up and leave, one by one, theres not bottleneck at the door (a slow-speed compression event). However, if we all get up at the same time and try to rush out, we'll get stuck in the door (a high-speed compression event). This is exactly what happens in the event of a "spike" to oil in in a damper. The speed of the compression event overwhelms the damping circuit and so much oil is trying to pass through that it jams (oil is not compressible). But the beauty of using air as the damping medium is that it can be almost infinitely compressed, so it can never truly spike.

So the pressure in the Ramp Controlled section of the air spring actually may not change dramatically in a high speed hit (especially with a heavy amount of Ramp Control added). A Shockwiz would see this and interpret this a small bump, or maybe no bump at all.

In a nutshell, it don't work.
    Just trying to think outside the box here, but since the ramp control is only one of the many adjustments on this fork, could you remove the Ramp Control Cartridge and use a Pike topcap and pike volume spacers to get the rest of the adjustments set with the Shockwiz and then add the cartridge back in and fish off ramp control tuning with the cartridge?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Sorry dude! Just catching up from Sea Otter. Link here.

Pressure chart here.
    Thanks Noah! I tried using your pressure chart for setting up my 170mm Ribbon on my Guerrilla Gravity Megatrail. However, at a riding weight of around 170lbs., I’m nowhere near the 68psi recommended on the chart… I’m around 45psi (verified with two gauges, one digital) in order to get 28-30% sag. Can that be right? I noticed in the manual that you guys don’t mention setting up via sag measurement at all. Should we be skipping sag measurement and instead going for the chart (PSI based on body weight)?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    If it helps - i was told over the phone by MRP just Wednesday that sag target is 25-30% for the long travel Ribbon...

Braaap
    Quote Originally Posted by jmvdigital View Post
    Thanks Noah! I tried using your pressure chart for setting up my 170mm Ribbon on my Guerrilla Gravity Megatrail. However, at a riding weight of around 170lbs., I’m nowhere near the 68psi recommended on the chart… I’m around 45psi (verified with two gauges, one digital) in order to get 28-30% sag. Can that be right? I noticed in the manual that you guys don’t mention setting up via sag measurement at all. Should we be skipping sag measurement and instead going for the chart (PSI based on body weight)?
    GG suggests setting rear shock sag in the seated position. Fork sag is always measured from a standing attack position.

More likely, make sure you're filling both air chambers.

And most importantly, test multiple settings and ride what feels good!
    Dirt Merchant Bicycles

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Quote Originally Posted by karpiel View Post
    Hi Noah

Please tell me more about the ramp control for the 36, I have an Avalanche cartridge and its VERY progressive in the last part of the travel, how much more linear can i make the spring rate with your system ?

Also, when will UK distributors be getting them ?

cheers

Richie
    If your damper is tuned with a lot of high-speed compression damping (I assume that's what you're talking about), then the addition of the Ramp Control cartridge into the air-spring won't help. However, if you've drastically reduced the volume of the air-spring with spacers, the RC cartridge will help, but still give you adjustable bottom-out support.

Ison Distribution should have 36 cartridges now! Cheers
    NOAH SEARS

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    I would say that's pretty soft and, in some cases, hard to achieve (very slack AM bikes).

I'm more inclined to setup for feel vs. sag. For sure there setups that are wayyyyyy to firm and those that are too soft, but the range is pretty wide when it comes to forks. I'd peg it at anywhere from 10-30%
    NOAH SEARS

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Noah, could you post the A2C measurement for the 27.5 fork along with the stroke associated with that measurement? I assume that the A2C changes 1:1 with the travel?

Also, what is the max tire width on the 27.5 fork?

Lastly, do with 27.5 forks have different length damper tubes as you described earlier with the current 27.5+/29er model?

TIA

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Noah... If you get a chance check your messages.. Didnt want to clog up the thread here or derail.. thanks

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    yesterdays ride and proof of Ribbon!

MRP Ribbon-img_0437.jpg

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Noah, could you post the A2C measurement for the 27.5 fork along with the stroke associated with that measurement? I assume that the A2C changes 1:1 with the travel?

Also, what is the max tire width on the 27.5 fork?

Lastly, do with 27.5 forks have different length damper tubes as you described earlier with the current 27.5+/29er model?

TIA
    27.5" 170mm : 562mm

A2C changes accordingly with travel.

Max tire on the 27.5" is a 2.6" on 35mm ID rim. Obviously a lot variables in there.

There are not multiple damper tubes for the 27.5" model, they are all the same.

Cheers!
    NOAH SEARS

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    So, I've been rocking a Ribbon for about three weeks on a new Phantom. It's set at 140 travel. I'm around 190 or so in gear. My initial setup was about 85psi in the positive chamber and 86 in the negative. 9 clicks rebound, about 2 clicks on low-speed compression and 7 clicks on ramp.

I've really been loving this fork. Until yesterday.

Typically I've been riding easier and mid-tech stuff in Phoenix and Sedona (think the Hawes and Phoenix Mountain Preserves as well as National/Mormon at South Mountain for those familiar). In those situations, I feel like my setup has been spot on.

Yesterday, I rode up the Ranger trail at South Mountain, west on National a few miles and then back. Coming down Ranger is where I had my first setup issues. This is bigger-tech stuff, some exposure, very steep, very fast and roughly one mile of consecutive square edges and drops. The fork gave my hands and forearms a true beating. And, oddly, it only used around 100mm of travel.

I checked the settings afterwards and nothing had changed. Curious what my next steps should be. I'm going back to a zero point. More negative pressure?

mtbr member
    ^ I experience the exact thing Blatant. Given how the ramp control is explained to work I'm half wondering if on medium/big hits air is still getting in the ramp cartridge & thus using more air volume/travel. On big and especially consecutive big hits air is not getting in the ramp cartridge limiting volume/travel. This is merely my thought after a wknd on it & am certainly open to other input.

Turning the ramp down and off seems to elicit a better feel, but I definitely burn through the travel faster. I think I'm going to try more psi, less on the ramp.

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    I checked the settings afterwards and nothing had changed. Curious what my next steps should be. I'm going back to a zero point. More negative pressure?
    Yeah, I would start there. I'm running my long-travel Ribbon at 150 now and using 68/77 psi or thereabouts. I've lost a little weight over the spring. Ramp at about half. I don't have problems using full-travel on just about every ride, but it still feels firm - but supple - off the top. No real reason not to run higher neg. pressure. If it results in too much sag, just raise both pressures (but keep +8-10 psi more in neg.).

I would try two different setups if I were you.

Same pos. pressure as current, +8-10 psi in negative, same ramp.

Slightly more pos. pressure (than currently), +8-10 psi in negative (over new higher pos. pressure), less ramp.

Hope that helps!

PS. Used my 130 Ribbon on my 429sl over the weekend at the Enduro Cup in Moab. Courses were all on rock, very harsh. IIRC, settings were: 82/92 psi, 12 ramp, 12 out on rebound, 0 LSC.
    NOAH SEARS

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Forgot to mention, with the above setup, I had pretty low sag (roughly 15%). The fork has been feeling so good otherwise, I paid no attention and I typically run the Lyrik on my Nomad at about 20%.

The fork felt great climbing and on single bigger hits (2- to 3-foot drops). However, on multiple consecutive hits at higher speed, it all when to sh!t.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Any outcome? I have this fork
    On order and am reading along here

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Can someone with a Ribbon 27.5 fork measure from centerline of axle to the bottom of the arch and also the inside distance between the lower legs where the tire rides just below the arch at the narrowest part, preferably in inches? I'd like to compare with my current fork and tire set-up before placing an order. I know it says max of 2.6 but I just want to make sure before dropping the $$. Thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    No updates? Blatant--You said it all went to sh!t. Explain.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Can anyone throw a 29x3.0 tire in this fork and see if it clears? Noah, I see the clearance you have with the 2.6, but a Fox 34 27.5+ is well established to clear a true 29x3.0 easily (including when fully compressed) , and would love to know if this fork can be a competitor in that regard. Looking to purchase a fork for my 29+ and would love to get an MRP instead of going for a Fox 34!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottyman View Post
    probably not rocking it anymore, sold it or gave it away. moved on to rock something else for a few weeks.
    breezy shade

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottyman View Post
    Sorry, been out of town riding and haven't ridden that bike since I last posted. I'll probably make some changes that Noah suggested and ride it tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TheArmand View Post
    Can anyone throw a 29x3.0 tire in this fork and see if it clears? Noah, I see the clearance you have with the 2.6, but a Fox 34 27.5+ is well established to clear a true 29x3.0 easily (including when fully compressed) , and would love to know if this fork can be a competitor in that regard. Looking to purchase a fork for my 29+ and would love to get an MRP instead of going for a Fox 34!
    The Fox 34 27.5+ is a bit of an anomaly. Where many manufacturers label their 29er forks as 29/27.5+, Fox made a dedicated chassis for their plus fork. Both the lowers and the CSU are unique to that model. I owned one and it was an absolute beast in terms of tire clearance. That said, I don't think you'll find a top-tier, dual-use (29/27.5+) fork that matches the 34+ in that regard.

mtbr member
    Any idea when these are going to be shipped out to Jenson? I've been waiting for almost a month.

Braaap
    We have a few 27.5" forks ready to go.
    Dirt Merchant Bicycles

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    To follow up, I think I'm getting there. For me, the posted pressures are far too high if you are concerned about sag. I'm about 190 in gear, running a 140mm Ribbon.

i started even lower than the stated pressure on positive side, +5 on negative, five clicks back from full fast, two clicks of compression and about 8 on ramp. Felt nice for normal trail riding and single big hits. Felt terrible in high-speed chop.

At that pressure, I was getting less than 15% sag.

This weekend, I reduced positive to about 75, plus 10 on negative and out one on ramp. This gave me more like 20% sag and the fork felt MUCH better overall.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Ordered a 27.5" Ribbon today. One month out. I run a Maxxis Rekon 2.8 which is actually only 2.65 wide. It is 28 1/8" OD. I have a lot of clearance with my non-boost 27.5" X-Fusion RL fork. I had asked the question before but no one answered, is it going to fit or should I have ordered a 29"/Plus size fork? If it will clear by 1/8" on the arch I'm good with it. Thanks guys.....

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Ordered my Ribbon yesterday from my regular LBS. Another shop in town was trying to get me and others to only buy a fork that will work with Shockwiz. Surprise they sell and rent Shockwiz.
    This brings up questions Noah might be able to answer.
    Is the ramp control the only part of the Ribbon that Shockwiz can't deal with?
    If so could the ramp control be removed and replaced with a regular cap for tunning?
    I understand without ramp control it would scream for Tokens since thats what its programed for. If it calls for say 2 tokens could that be converted to X clicks on ramp control?
    The Shockwiz seems like it could be good for us Nubs who can't tune a fork!

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthBobo View Post
    Is the ramp control the only part of the Ribbon that Shockwiz can't deal with?
    Hello Darth,

Technically, yes. But we don't make a standard air cap.

I get the appeal of ShockWiz, but for suspension parts without HSC, LSC, HSR, LSR, and other more sensitive adjustments, it seems a little overkill, no? But, I haven't messed with it, so I don't know how in-depth it's analysis is. It just seems to me that - especially on our suspension - adjustments and tuning is so straightforward, couldn't you just try a couple tweaks here and there to get the fork feeling the way you want?

A Ramp Control-less Ribbon has been discussed, BTW. I'll obviously chime in here if it comes to fruition. There are other potential models in the pipeline too.
    NOAH SEARS

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    My Ribbon should be here Friday. I'll be tuning the old fashion way. I was just interested if RC was the only thing stopping it. ShockWiz didn't really figure into my decision. Local riders on the Stage. The way their bikes work and the way they love MRP influenced my decision far more than anything else.

AOK
    mtbr member
    There are other potential models in the pipeline too.
    I would love to see a fork approved for 29+ with good clearance for 29x3" tires. (I realize this would be an investment in new casting so I assume it won't happen, but I can dream.)

I was disappointed that the Ribbon isn't approved for 29+. Since the Stage can fit a 29x3 tire I was really hoping that any boost fork would increase the clearance enough for approved 29+ use.

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Quote Originally Posted by AOK View Post
    I would love to see a fork approved for 29+ with good clearance for 29x3" tires. (I realize this would be an investment in new casting so I assume it won't happen, but I can dream.)

I was disappointed that the Ribbon isn't approved for 29+. Since the Stage can fit a 29x3 tire I was really hoping that any boost fork would increase the clearance enough for approved 29+ use.
    Sorry to disappoint, but hopefully you can understand the tough spot we're in trying to please everyone. Forks take YEARS of development time and, as you've surely seen, trends in this this industry seem to stick around for months. It's hard to know what will last and what will go.

Tooling for castings is by far the greatest investment cost for us, so a specific casting for 29+ is unlikely. That's not to say we don't recognize that niche as legitimate, but it's hard to make the case that the sales for that model would ever recoup its expense.
    NOAH SEARS

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    My Ribbon should be here Friday. I'll be tuning the old fashion way. I was just interested if RC was the only thing stopping it. ShockWiz didn't really figure into my decision. Local riders on the Stage. The way their bikes work and the way they love MRP influenced my decision far more than anything else.
    Right on! Contact us if you need any tuning help, will be your personal ShockWizzers.
    NOAH SEARS

AOK
    mtbr member
    Sorry to disappoint, but hopefully you can understand the tough spot we're in trying to please everyone. Forks take YEARS of development time and, as you've surely seen, trends in this this industry seem to stick around for months. It's hard to know what will last and what will go.

Tooling for castings is by far the greatest investment cost for us, so a specific casting for 29+ is unlikely. That's not to say we don't recognize that niche as legitimate, but it's hard to make the case that the sales for that model would ever recoup its expense.
    I completely understand. I am an engineer who goes through product development cycles all the time so I am well aware of the cost / development time trade offs. And also that there is not much room for error in a small company.

I was hoping that 29+ clearance would sneak in with the design of the Ribbon. Hopefully the next redesign cycle will be the one.

Just reminding you that there are a few of us out there who would like massive clearance.

mtbr member

180mm rotors only?

I've become quite accustomed to 200mm rotors on the front. Is the Ribbon without question 180mm only? I see the specs say 180 but I have to think someone has put a 200 on, surely.
    If your not wreckin', your not ridin'.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Key is MINIMUM 180 (i.e., you can't run anything smaller) without an adapter. If you wanna run 200 you'd need a +20 adapter.

dmo
    mtbr member
    If anyone is looking for a a ribbon I have a new one still in the box and never used. I ended up building a different bike so dont need the ribbon.

Its the 29er Ribbon 150mm with orange decalse $875. Buyer pays shipping

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    Key is MINIMUM 180 (i.e., you can't run anything smaller) without an adapter. If you wanna run 200 you'd need a +20 adapter.
    Ah, ok, that makes more sense. The MRP website makes it a little ambiguous as well not mentioning the minimum.

BRAKE MOUNT:

180mm PM (Disc only)

Thanks @Blatant
    If your not wreckin', your not ridin'.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    I got my Ribbon installed today. First Impression is good. Just a little test ride. Hoping to hit some singletrack tomorrow. Now I need to sell the Fox 34 Rhythm I just took off. anyone know what it's worth?

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Set my positive and negative pressures. Went to adjust rebound and it just keeps spinning in either direction?

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Set my positive and negative pressures. Went to adjust rebound and it just keeps spinning in either direction?
    Hi Darth! When something like this comes up, don't hesitate to call us - we can't be on the forums 24/7. Did you get this resolved?
    NOAH SEARS

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Nope. I sent an email and My LBS tried to get through. Closed due to Holiday is what i was told an hour or so ago. It was the weekend so I wasn't concerned. I'll be home from work and calling shortly.
    Last edited by DarthBobo; 07-03-2017 at 12:42 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    So...can anyone compare the Ribbon to the Stage?

Absolutely love my Stage, even though it's a 2015 (noisier, no negative air chamber). The reviews of the Ribbon are not exactly selling me on the upgrade, so I guess I'll just continue to enjoy my Stage!

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    We're open today until 5pm MST. Ring us up! 970-241-3518
    NOAH SEARS

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Quote Originally Posted by Porch View Post
    So...can anyone compare the Ribbon to the Stage?

Absolutely love my Stage, even though it's a 2015 (noisier, no negative air chamber). The reviews of the Ribbon are not exactly selling me on the upgrade, so I guess I'll just continue to enjoy my Stage!
    What reviews are those?

There's a lot of Stage DNA in the Ribbon, they aren't exactly worlds apart. But obviously the Ribbon has a new chassis and is significantly lighter - that's the main difference between the MY17 forks.

As for comparing it to your '15 Stage, I think we've made significant upgrades to the air spring and damper - not that that fork was by any means a slouch.

I went to Trestle Bike Park over the weekend and the Ribbon performed absolutely incredibly. There was zero deterioration in feel after a dozen plus laps. The chassis definitely feels burlier than the Stage - not so much in steering or holding a line (which the Stage does just fine), but in the suspension action through the rough and on big, slappy landings.
    NOAH SEARS

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Noah. I called and Eric got me sorted out. It's nice to see this level of customer service.
    I posted here after business hours on a Friday and had to work Monday morning and could not call until I got home.

I got my first real ride on the Ribbon today. WOW. What an improvement over the fox 34. I had my pressure a little too high and forgot my shock pump. Even with the pressure high the small bump was worlds better. For me this has always been an issue.
    I'm a Clyde. In order to get my sag and end stroke the way I need I normally have squat for small bump.

The fork felt stiff and didn't deflect which had been a constant issue for me on the fox.
    So Far I'm impressed.

Next ride I'll need to take a shock pump

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Just got my ribbon installed and i keep having some issues losing pressure in the negative side and in turn I'm losing travel... i have the psi pretty low at 60/55 and when i inflate the lower end and cycle the fork it loses travel... I'm kinda stumped on what i am doing wrong... I've refilled this thing according the precedure several times and am still losing travel...

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Low side should be slightly more psi than high side. if your 60/55 is high/low that could be your issue.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Nope low side is higher... when i set the lower side pressure to 60 and then cycle the shock... with the pump off obviously... it
    Loses travel and then when i recheck the lower pressure its dropped some psi...
    And then sucks the fork
    Down and i lose travel inturn

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    I was planning to adjust the travel in my ribbon tomorrow. I see it calls for 5wt fork oil. I've got 7wt, rock shox 0w30, and fox 20wt. Any of those gonna work or do I need to internet up some 5wt and put this off until it arrives? If so, any preferred brand of 5wt?

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Ok now upon playing with this fork for hours the low speed compression dial just fell off... trying to figure out how to screw it back on but i cant seem to line it
    Up correctly.... this is a tad frustrating any suggestion? And im still having pressure issues i set the bottom pressure the same as the top... cycle the fork ...and it looses travel still and pressure

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Njhardrock View Post
    Ok now upon playing with this fork for hours the low speed compression dial just fell off... trying to figure out how to screw it back on but i cant seem to line it
    Up correctly.... this is a tad frustrating any suggestion? And im still having pressure issues i set the bottom pressure the same as the top... cycle the fork ...and it looses travel still and pressure
    Call MRP tomorrow

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Quote Originally Posted by deserat View Post
    I was planning to adjust the travel in my ribbon tomorrow. I see it calls for 5wt fork oil. I've got 7wt, rock shox 0w30, and fox 20wt. Any of those gonna work or do I need to internet up some 5wt and put this off until it arrives? If so, any preferred brand of 5wt?

I'd probably go with 7wt. 20wt is too thick.

I assume it's summer where you are?
    NOAH SEARS

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Please give us a call and we'll help you troubleshoot. 970-241-3518, ask for Eric in service.

Cheers
    NOAH SEARS

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    I'd probably go with 7wt. 20wt is too thick.

I assume it's summer where you are?
    Thanks. It's still summer for another couple months here in western Wyoming.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    OK Did another ride today. Nothing gnarly. Just a run we do 3-5 times a week for fitness. There is a downhill on it that's 1KM (Half Mile) of dirt road. Quite washboard. Normally beats the snot out of my hands and forearms leaving my hands numb. Today I rode down the hill and didn't notice until I was done that I didn't feel anything in my hands and forearms. I'm really impressed with this fork so far.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    What reviews are those?

There's a lot of Stage DNA in the Ribbon, they aren't exactly worlds apart. But obviously the Ribbon has a new chassis and is significantly lighter - that's the main difference between the MY17 forks.

As for comparing it to your '15 Stage, I think we've made significant upgrades to the air spring and damper - not that that fork was by any means a slouch.

I went to Trestle Bike Park over the weekend and the Ribbon performed absolutely incredibly. There was zero deterioration in feel after a dozen plus laps. The chassis definitely feels burlier than the Stage - not so much in steering or holding a line (which the Stage does just fine), but in the suspension action through the rough and on big, slappy landings.
    Exactly! I need more reviews!

Good to know, though. I will definitely be swapping up to a Ribbon one of these days.

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Quote Originally Posted by Porch View Post
    Exactly! I need more reviews!

Good to know, though. I will definitely be swapping up to a Ribbon one of these days.
    We have forks with Bike Magazine, Pinkbike, three German, and two British outlets. We're sending an additional one to Mountain Flyer next week.

Here's a review from a YouTuber: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaCt...utu.be&t=3m50s
    NOAH SEARS

mtbr member
    May 2006
    If you go look at the pink bike article about Mike Levy's RM element, he puts a little blurb in there about the ribbon. Seems to like it so far.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Picked up my 27.5 Ribbon last night and installed it today. Tomorrow will be my first dirt ride on it.

I had wondered and asked how much distance there is between the bottom of the arch and the centerline of the axle. No one answered but if anyone else is curious (wanting to install a big tire) the answer is 14.5". I have a Maxxis 2.8 Recon mounted on a 741 Ibis wheel and have 3/8" of clearance between the tire and the arch and 1/4" clearance on both sides of the tire at the tightest part.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    How does one get a Ribbon in Canada?

Is the fork offset in the CSU or in the lowers?

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Punky I got mine from my LBS. They have a Canadian distributor. That's where he got it.

dmo
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PUNKY View Post

I have a new one for sale. Not sure how to ship to Ca

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    160mm 29er w/46mm offset?

dmo
    mtbr member
    29er, set at 150 from factory but can be adjusted to 160. 46mm offset. 110mm spacer. Never unwrapped, still in package

dmo
    mtbr member
    My mistake...51mm offset

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Does. Not. Want.

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR

The total fork offset is a combination of that in the crown and lowers.

27.5+/29" crown + 27.5+/29" lowers = 51mm offset
    27.5" crown + 27.5+/29"lowers = 46mm offset
    27.5" crown + 27.5" lowers = 44mm offset

Our distributor in Canada is NRG, based in Nelson. 46mm offset 150 and 160mm travel 27.5+/29" Ribbons have part numbers (basically, are a standard offering), a 27.5+/29" Ribbon of shorter travel with 46mm offset would be a custom order (which we can do).
    NOAH SEARS

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    If I order an 150 mm ribbon will i be able to change it to 160 mm later if needed? Should just need some spacers be removed right? Thanks

Odoslané z HTC One X pomocou Tapatalku

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Quote Originally Posted by romulin View Post
    If I order an 150 mm ribbon will i be able to change it to 160 mm later if needed? Should just need some spacers be removed right? Thanks
    27.5+/29" or 27.5"?

27.5+/29" 150mm forks going out the door today have that functionality, but some of our earliest production forks topped out at 150mm max (without a damper change).
    NOAH SEARS

dmo
    mtbr member
    27.5+/29" or 27.5"?

27.5+/29" 150mm forks going out the door today have that functionality, but some of our earliest production forks topped out at 150mm max (without a damper change).
    How do you know which one you have?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    The total fork offset is a combination of that in the crown and lowers.

27.5+/29" crown + 27.5+/29" lowers = 51mm offset
    27.5" crown + 27.5+/29"lowers = 46mm offset
    27.5" crown + 27.5" lowers = 44mm offset

Our distributor in Canada is NRG, based in Nelson. 46mm offset 150 and 160mm travel 27.5+/29" Ribbons have part numbers (basically, are a standard offering), a 27.5+/29" Ribbon of shorter travel with 46mm offset would be a custom order (which we can do).
    Thanks Noah. That's the exact info I was after. Including that NRG is stocking them. Nice work on building three forks from two CSUs and lowers.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    I mean 27.5.
    Thanks for answer

Odoslané z HTC One X pomocou Tapatalku

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    What is the "tooled" bolt-on axle option? Besides the obvious, is there a photo of it?

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    What is the "tooled" bolt-on axle option? Besides the obvious, is there a photo of it?
    Don't have a photo handy, but here's the install video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ShazhV2-Dk

It's 30 g lighter than the QR, but requires a 6mm hex tool for removal/installation. Pretty slick IMO.
    NOAH SEARS

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Don't have a photo handy, but here's the install video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ShazhV2-Dk

It's 30 g lighter than the QR, but requires a 6mm hex tool for removal/installation. Pretty slick IMO.
    When the nut is pulled into the dropout, does it become permanently fixed?

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Quote Originally Posted by deserat View Post
    When the nut is pulled into the dropout, does it become permanently fixed?

You could get it out again, but it is a tight press fit. It does not rotate when you tighten the axle (ie you only need one tool). Make sense?
    NOAH SEARS

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Quote Originally Posted by dmo View Post
    How do you know which one you have?

You could contact us with the serial number and we could tell you.
    NOAH SEARS

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Do you guys only recommend a digital shock pump setting the psi on this fork?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Really, every/all forks man. I can tell a 1 psi difference in my Pike with sticky bushings. You can also just get a digital gauge. Topeak & SKS both make one.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    You could get it out again, but it is a tight press fit. It does not rotate when you tighten the axle (ie you only need one tool). Make sense?
    Yes, makes sense. Just making sure I understand what is happening in the video. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I've been getting along fine with a regular fox shock pump for years.... i set pressure and add or subtract air base on how feels ... just wondering because if the 10psi difference if a digital is required.....i was having issues filling this fork everytime i would get close it would suck travel down even when filling it at the same psi... so had anyone else had this issue with a standard non digital gauge?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I use a SKS SAM pump and Topek Di Gauge

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    I think digital pumps are handy for fine tuning. They just seem to make it easier to try 1-2 psi changes.

We use these ones: https://www.amazon.com/Venzo-Fork-Sh...o+digital+pump

They're the same make and model that's been relabeled by a few brands. We've purchased four and all but one is still working flawlessly after six months of daily use. I left one in direct sunlight, in a vehicle, and probably cooked it.
    NOAH SEARS

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I think digital pumps are handy for fine tuning. They just seem to make it easier to try 1-2 psi changes.

We use these ones: https://www.amazon.com/Venzo-Fork-Sh...o+digital+pump

They're the same make and model that's been relabeled by a few brands. We've purchased four and all but one is still working flawlessly after six months of daily use. I left one in direct sunlight, in a vehicle, and probably cooked it.
    Same one I bought during Prime Day. Works great.

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Quote Originally Posted by rorhound View Post
    Same one I bought during Prime Day. Works great.
    Ahh, they had a Prime Day special?! Dang!
    NOAH SEARS

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    NOAH,

I have a Ribbon on the with way with my new Guerrilla Gravity Megatrail (should be here next week). I am wondering what settings would be a good starting point for my new ribbon.

170mm travel
    rider weight about 195 lbs

can't wait to get this on this new bike!

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Quote Originally Posted by 2zmtnz View Post
    I have a Ribbon on the with way with my new Guerrilla Gravity Megatrail (should be here next week). I am wondering what settings would be a good starting point for my new ribbon.
    Howdy,

Start with 75 positive, 85 negative. Rebound 10 clicks from closed. Ramp Control in the middle - 8 from open or closed. Compression fully open.

Adjust from there! Report back. Shred on!
    NOAH SEARS

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    slurp slurp

This message is for guys ridding the ribbon ..

Got my Ribbon all set on the bike.. First ride-- noticed that on pretty much any hit-- im getting a slurping noise from the fork... Are any of you guys that have the fork getting the same thing?? Ive heard something a bit similar on other order forks-- oil slurping as its going through valves etc.. But havnt heard it on the last few forks ive had (pike/dvo)..

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    SB Trails… you mean on the rebound stroke? That seems to be pretty common with MRP forks and rebound. My 2016 Stage does it, and both of my Ribbons have a rebound "slurp"… louder on bigger hits.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I'm just waiting for MRP to come up with a Customer Loyalty Program so I can upgrade my Stage

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by SB Trails View Post
    slurp slurp

This message is for guys ridding the ribbon ..

Got my Ribbon all set on the bike.. First ride-- noticed that on pretty much any hit-- im getting a slurping noise from the fork... Are any of you guys that have the fork getting the same thing?? Ive heard something a bit similar on other order forks-- oil slurping as its going through valves etc.. But havnt heard it on the last few forks ive had (pike/dvo)..
    Watching the EWS last weekend, I could pick out all the MRP forks by listening for the slurp. They all had it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Talked to eric at mrp and he said the same thing you guys did.. Said the mrp pushes a lot more oil and that is what causes the slurp...So--- cool ... Learn something new everyday..
    Last edited by SB Trails; 08-01-2017 at 01:14 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Just came here to say I love the Ribbon.
    Had it installed on my Slayer.
    It's night and day difference coming off a Lyrik RCT3.

Now when do you think you'll be making a metric shock to go with it??

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Quote Originally Posted by cortolillo87 View Post
    Just came here to say I love the Ribbon.
    Had it installed on my Slayer.
    It's night and day difference coming off a Lyrik RCT3.

Now when do you think you'll be making a metric shock to go with it??
    Awesome! Thanks

Metric shock? Nothing springs to mind...
    NOAH SEARS

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    What kind of tease is this.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I've had my Ribbon for about 3 weeks and 7 rides. I think I'm pretty close on my set-up finally. Here's my specs and settings incase someone needs/wants a starting spot.

215lb with gear Intermediate rider
    So CA (Temecula area) trails, not XC
    160mm travel
    2016 Transition Carbon Patrol
    2018 Fox DHX2 (coil) shock
    2.8 Maxxis Rekons front and rear

With the following settings I'm about 6-8mm from bottoming but have not hit any huge drops yet, just the normal rock gardens and jump line trails. Sedona in October will provide bigger drops. Small bump compliance is excellent.

60psi positive side
    70psi negative side
    Compression all the way open
    Ramp at 13 out
    Rebound at 10 clicks from tight
    I have no idea what my sag is now as I haven't checked lately. That went out the window after the first ride.

mtbr member
    Anyone tried to do a maintenance rebuild on their ribbon yet? Thinking of selling my pike and getting one. I'd be out approx $100-115 to upgrade not sure if it's worth it becaus I'd also have to have my front wheel re-dished

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Quote Originally Posted by buddiesconfusion View Post
    I'd also have to have my front wheel re-dished
    Why? You're not Boost now?
    NOAH SEARS

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Noah,

Thanks for the set up help for my Megatrail it is absolutely spot on! The fork is all around amazing and I am already looking at upgrading my gf's bike to a ribbon in the future.

side note i just saw this:
    https://www.pinkbike.com/news/mrp-co...tler-2017.html
    is that not something that can be talked about yet? if you can say anything, would it be possible to upgrade the air ribbon to a coil ribbon?

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast