MRP Ribbon - Page 11- Mtbr.com
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011
Results 2,001 to 2,059 of 2059

Thread: MRP Ribbon

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by escrowdog View Post
    Maybe Noah could comment on the difference in feel going up a spring size OR adding preload to the existing spring?

I've tried adding a preload to the spring and didn't care for the feel, just seemed to get harsh vs more supportive.
    You shouldn't be using preload for 'tuning' the fork. Although it does have an effect on breakaway force, and at the limits an effect on bottom out, it's really to set the ride height. And given you can move your weight forward and back, it doesn't actually matter that much.

If you add more preload, generally it'll feel harsher in the first part of travel.

You should go up a spring rate if you are blowing through the travel, and bottoming out too much.

You should also go up, if you're maxing out the preload to get the right sag.

If you want a more 'poppy' fork, go air. Or reduce your rebound damping and increase your compression damping, to increase the ride height and give you more platform.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kerpoise View Post
    You shouldn't be using preload for 'tuning' the fork. Although it does have an effect on breakaway force, and at the limits an effect on bottom out, it's really to set the ride height. And given you can move your weight forward and back, it doesn't actually matter that much.

If you add more preload, generally it'll feel harsher in the first part of travel.

You should go up a spring rate if you are blowing through the travel, and bottoming out too much.

You should also go up, if you're maxing out the preload to get the right sag.

If you want a more 'poppy' fork, go air. Or reduce your rebound damping and increase your compression damping, to increase the right height and give you more platform.

Agree on all points.

The fork is very plush with virtually zero stiction. I find it's so plush sometimes at low speed it will "smush" into a hole or larger rock vs. roll over it, and almost stop me in my tracks. It's of course very linear, so that plushness goes deep into the travel. Definitely not bottoming out, nor am I sending it enough to bottom out. But as you mentioned I might be that I'm now leaning back toward...gulp...air. SMH.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Agree on all points.

The fork is very plush with virtually zero stiction. I find it's so plush sometimes at low speed it will "smush" into a hole or larger rock vs. roll over it, and almost stop me in my tracks. It's of course very linear, so that plushness goes deep into the travel. Definitely not bottoming out, nor am I sending it enough to bottom out. But as you mentioned I might be that I'm now leaning back toward...gulp...air. SMH.
    Definitely go up a spring.

You shouldn't be blowing through the travel so that it almost throws you over the bars.

mtbr member
    Definitely go up a spring.

You shouldn't be blowing through the travel so that it almost throws you over the bars.

I'm about 208 lbs with my shoes and gear on. Backpack depends, maybe another 5 lbs with lot of water.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    I'm about 208 lbs with my shoes and gear on. Backpack depends, maybe another 5 lbs with lot of water.
    Are you on a medium spring? If so - get thee to the firm spring STAT! If on firm, give the x-firm a go.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    Are you on a medium spring? If so - get thee to the firm spring STAT! If on firm, give the x-firm a go.
    I'm 165lb and on a medium spring, so totally you want firm or x-firm!

mtbr member
    I'm 165lb and on a medium spring, so totally you want firm or x-firm!

Interesting...as my sag is perfect.

That said, it's cheap enough to try the next size spring.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Interesting...as my sag is perfect.

That said, it's cheap enough to try the next size spring.
    Before you do that, how much ramp up have you got wound on?

mtbr member

NO RAMP...I don't bottom out, so I've left the ramp completely open.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Slight hijack... Obviously I've got a Ribbon Coil, but because it's so awesome, I've dug out my MRP stage.

When adding air, and then pressing the bleed nipple to equalise the chambers, no air comes out. The ramp control knob has gone really stiff too.

Pulling the lowers doesn't do anything either.

They've not been ridden since ISON serviced them.

Any ideas on what I can do to fix it?

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by NoahColorado View Post
    From what you describe it doesn't sound like a tuning or setup issue is at play. Please send me an e-mail with your serial number, fork specs, date and place of purchase, and anything else of note. We'll go from there. E-mail is noah (at) mrpbike.com.

Thanks!
    Just updating the thread for posterity and another great customer service story. Noah helped me get a replacement fork after sending mine in for warranty twice. I got one shakedown ride on the new fork, about 10 miles of different stuff and some man-made drops.

So far the difference is night and day. People throw sayings around like that a lot but I can't stress enough just how good the new fork feels. It really highlights for me how wrong the previous fork was.

I'm blowing through rooty sections with grip and poise where has the other fork had me hanging on for dear life.

I'm pumping hard into corners and coming out with speed and flow. Before, I would lose traction and eventually just stopped trying out of fear of washing out.

We're getting rain now but I'm headed up to Kingdom Trails on Wednesday and am so stoked to have this thing sorted out.

Big thanks to Noah and the MRP crew as well as the community here.

mtbr member
    What did MRP determine what was wrong with your old fork?

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    My guess is they haven't had time to look at it yet. I'm very curious myself.

mtbr member

Thanks for the heads up on trying the Ramp Control!! For some reason, I had it in my head Ramp Control was for controlling the bottoming, which I guess it is. But, it also adds a LOT of support in the middle! I went out on the driveway, turned Ramp Control all the way on, yes it's working, dialed it back to 15 clicks from 0. Went for a 13 mile ride today, pretty chunky in a lot of it, the kind of low speed bobbly stuff on climbs that would suck a wheel in. No more hanging up or smushing into larger obstacles at lower speed! Truly the best of both worlds...trail soaking small bump of a coil and now some "air" feel in the middle for support and pop! I ended up about 6 clicks from 0 as a good balance of added support in the middle and still comfortable descending the chunks.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Thanks for the heads up on trying the Ramp Control!! For some reason, I had it in my head Ramp Control was for controlling the bottoming, which I guess it is. But, it also adds a LOT of support in the middle! I went out on the driveway, turned Ramp Control all the way on, yes it's working, dialed it back to 15 clicks from 0. Went for a 13 mile ride today, pretty chunky in a lot of it, the kind of low speed bobbly stuff on climbs that would suck a wheel in. No more hanging up or smushing into larger obstacles at lower speed! Truly the best of both worlds...trail soaking small bump of a coil and now some "air" feel in the middle for support and pop! I ended up about 6 clicks from 0 as a good balance of added support in the middle and still comfortable descending the chunks.
    No worries, glad you sorted it!

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Hopefully @NoahColorado can chime in on this - how much of the bottom of the stroke is controlled by the Ramp? My understanding was that the RC unit ONLY had an impact on the last "<x> mm" of travel. But I ain't no expert.

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Quote Originally Posted by polarflux View Post
    What did MRP determine what was wrong with your old fork?
    We have not received it yet.
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP - VP of Business Development
    Pivot Cycles - Team Rider

mtbr member
    Hopefully @NoahColorado can chime in on this - how much of the bottom of the stroke is controlled by the Ramp? My understanding was that the RC unit ONLY had an impact on the last "<x> mm" of travel. But I ain't no expert.
    I can tell you it firms up the from mid stroke to bottom, depending on how much you dial in. It leaves the initial breakaway and small bump stuff just as it is, but definitely adds an "air" feel to the middle depending the amount of clicks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    So I'm really getting excited for that Jackson shock.
    Noah can you say if it will be available as a 165x45 TRUNNION?
    Really cool to see a tunable inline shock and a smart move considering the move to shorter travel lighter 29er trail bikes (downcountry).

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Van Deventer View Post
    Noah can you say if it will be available as a 165x45 TRUNNION?
    Really cool to see a tunable inline shock and a smart move considering the move to shorter travel lighter 29er trail bikes (downcountry).
    It's pretty sweet! I can't get into details, but yeah, that's a planned size.

Sorry for my recent absence from this thread, I'll get y'all some answers on outstanding questions soon.

Thanks
    NOAH SEARS

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Awesome I'll hold off on sending my fox shock to Avalanche.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    We have not received it yet.
    Was delivered yesterday according to my tracking number.

screamer
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Van Deventer View Post
    Yes, yes indeed!
    On heavy rotation: White Lung: Deep Fantasy

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    It's pretty sweet! I can't get into details, but yeah, that's a planned size.

Sorry for my recent absence from this thread, I'll get y'all some answers on outstanding questions soon.

Thanks
    "Lucky for us, a Pinkbike reader in Grand Junction, Colorado, MRP's hometown, isn't so stingy with the photos."

RRRRiiight. "spotted". is this true Noah or was it "allowed" to be leaked?

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Quote Originally Posted by FactoryMatt View Post
    "Lucky for us, a Pinkbike reader in Grand Junction, Colorado, MRP's hometown, isn't so stingy with the photos."

RRRRiiight. "spotted". is this true Noah or was it "allowed" to be leaked?
    It's true, someone sent them a pic. They asked me about it and I gave them another, better photo and a statement. But they were going to post something regardless.
    NOAH SEARS

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    dang! free press!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Help! So my compression dial didn't seem to be working right today. I've taken it off, losing one ball bearing in the process (already ordered).

However I can't work out what the dial actually turns, can anyone tell me where the grub screw should engage? There seems to be two internal grub screws so I'm not sure if the external one should be screwed in to one of the threaded recesses or sit somewhere else.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Well I broke my damper so your doing better then me.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rock3gozy View Post
    Help! So my compression dial didn't seem to be working right today. I've taken it off, losing one ball bearing in the process (already ordered).

However I can't work out what the dial actually turns, can anyone tell me where the grub screw should engage? There seems to be two internal grub screws so I'm not sure if the external one should be screwed in to one of the threaded recesses or sit somewhere else.
    This should help... https://youtu.be/_pHOONnNllI

mtbr member
    May 2011
    What causes the damper to get air into it when dropping the lowers? I'm pretty sure that's why mine needs bleeding.

I've bought the rebound removal kit to help, but I wanna know why it's happened
    Last edited by kerpoise; 2 Weeks Ago at 11:14 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    What causes the damper to get air into it when dropping the lowers? I'm pretty sure that's why mine needs bleeding.

I've bought the rebound removal kit to help, but I wanna know why it's happened
    Mine got some air probably as the Rebound was fully open or fully closed when unscrewing the damper bolt caused the dial to unscrew from damper rod, lost some oil and probably got air in on exchange.
    Sadly, it just came from damper bleed service and I just wanted to up the travel..

Odoslanť z M1 pomocou Tapatalku

In Transit
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by GiddyHitch View Post
    Well, I recently pulled the trigger on a Ribbon Coil for the front end of my Ripley after reading the last half of this thread, appreciating Noahís ongoing feedback, and reading/watching numerous reviews. This will be my first coil fork purchase since 97 (Marzocchi Z2 that I still have) and I hope it goes just as well (Z2 was a transformative experience at the time).
    Can't wait to see how you like it! Please keep us posted.

I'm currently riding a 2018 Jeffsy with a Ribbon Coil. Considering a Ripley for my next bike, something a little more climby for longer days.
    So I have four rides (~55 miles) with the Ribbon Coil 140mm on my Ripley and some initial impressions to share. The stock fork was a Fox 34 Factory 130mm (FIT4) that took a long time to dial in, mostly due to factory grease clogging up the negative volume chamber, but it sure was running nicely by the time I took it off. Anyways, here are my observations ...

The Ribbon Coil is plush. Soooo plush. But always composed. It's what I wanted my Fox to feel like in the chunky stuff and on big hits but never did. It makes me think back to my old Marzocchi Z2, so there might just be something to these coil forks after all (ha). I find myself testing and choosing bad and rough lines more often (against my hardtail-honed instincts) because I can and because itís fun.

In fast chunk or when flying through a turn with a bunch of braking bumps, the Fox will jackhammer you a bit (FIT4 damper getting overwhelmed) and youíre just kind of hanging on and trying to keep it pointed in the right direction - Iím a longtime hardtail rider so Iím used to this. The MRP on the other hand, will just go squish-squish-squish and track so smoothly through that stuff that itís almost like cheating. Itís much more composed in those situations.

The plush coil spring and controlled damping combine to "slow" things down for me in technical sections, for lack of a better term. Not slow in terms of speed, but instead gives me more time to pick my line better, take more time to get a better approach, and generally not feel like I'm getting pinballed around and out of control. I find myself coming to the end of what qualifies as a rock garden around here with the option of taking the inside line on the turn right after the garden instead of being forced to always take the outside line with the Fox. I think I appreciate even more on uphill technical features, which is a weak area for me as a clipless rider - the Coil tracks so well here and the spring is so forgiving that it actually makes me look like a competent rider at times.

Are there any downsides? Yeah, it doesnít feel as light on the front and poppy of the lip of a jump. Iím not one to fret over component weight too much so I donít think this heaviness is psychosomatic so perhaps there is something there or perhaps itís a tuning issue. And then the pop issue is apparently a well known trail or coil springs when compared to air springs but I think itís completely manageable once I get my timing more dialed in. The coil simply feels a little more sluggish and slower than the air spring - you have to start earlier and give it a little more body English to get up. And as a rider who likes to jump off trail features, side hits, and crests way more than built jumps and hucks to flat (never), this is the one characteristic that could drive me back to the Fox more than any other.

I had a section written up previously about how the Coil feels like it has too much platform (stiffer) off the top that was making my hands hurt after rides, but still with good small bump compliance, even after dumping the compression damping and most of the Ramp Control, but backing the preload out one full turn managed to fix this completely. Iíve got that little bit of compliance that I was looking for with plenty of platform and no diving. Good times!

Lastly, I was curious how the travel increase (only 10mm but still) from stock would affect the comfort and handling of my Ripley. I have to say now that itís pretty much a non-issue after dropping my stem by 10mm and moving spacers to the top. Steep climbs might be a touch more difficult (got move further up on the saddle) but tight switchbacks and general handling are unaffected at my skill level. I might go down to 130mm travel (is that even possible on the Coil?) when I service the fork but Iím not in any hurry and maybe not even then.

Iíll probably ride the Coil for another month or so and then throw the Fox 34 back on to get a true apples-to-apples comparison with both forks dialed in.

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    So I have four rides (~55 miles) with the Ribbon Coil 140mm on my Ripley and some initial impressions to share. The stock fork was a Fox 34 Factory 130mm (FIT4) that took a long time to dial in, mostly due to factory grease clogging up the negative volume chamber, but it sure was running nicely by the time I took it off. Anyways, here are my observations ...
    Great to hear!

140mm is the shortest you can go with the Ribbon Coil, BTW.

You might try speeding up your rebound if you're finding the fork less-playful than you'd like. I like to juke and jive on the trail and I don't find that coil really prevents this, if anything I'm more apt to jump off of things since I know whatever lies in the landing will be handled! I ride in Moab a lot this time of year and you kinda have to ride that way to keep your momentum. So maybe it just takes some getting used to.
    NOAH SEARS

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    <snip>
    Iíll probably ride the Coil for another month or so and then throw the Fox 34 back on to get a true apples-to-apples comparison with both forks dialed in.
    DON'T DO IT!! Sell that thing before it depreciates any more!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I've got a 2019 Fox 34 Step-Cast Factory FIT4 on my XC bike.

The Ribbon coil is massively better.

The fox is great because it's so light, and you can tune the air spring more than the coil. But the performance of the Ribbon is just better.

In Transit
    Nov 2009
    You might try speeding up your rebound if you're finding the fork less-playful than you'd like. I like to juke and jive on the trail and I don't find that coil really prevents this, if anything I'm more apt to jump off of things since I know whatever lies in the landing will be handled! I ride in Moab a lot this time of year and you kinda have to ride that way to keep your momentum. So maybe it just takes some getting used to.
    I think that this is a timing thing, and maybe a confidence thing, more than anything else because it becomes less and less of a concern with more time on the fork. I'll try running my rebound faster though.

Ha. I was planning to send it off to Vorsprung for a Luftkappe and Fractive to see what that does for performance. But it will end up on my hardtail most likely since that thing is sporting a decade old fork.

I've got a 2019 Fox 34 Step-Cast Factory FIT4 on my XC bike.

The Ribbon coil is massively better.

The fox is great because it's so light, and you can tune the air spring more than the coil. But the performance of the Ribbon is just better.
    Yeah, those things have 32 internals with 34 stanchions so I'm not surprised.

In Transit
    Nov 2009
    You might try speeding up your rebound if you're finding the fork less-playful than you'd like. I like to juke and jive on the trail and I don't find that coil really prevents this,
    That worked! I'm now running no rebound damping, compression damping, nor ramp control though. I'm guessing that I should look at going to a lower weight damper oil at service, eh Noah?

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    <snip>

Yeah - I'm not a fiddler, so the air fork stuff has always been fairly disappointing to me. I just want a fork that I can hop on and it doesn't destroy my hands/wrists by the end of a multi-mile gnarly downhill.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I'm about to buy some Motul damper oil... Should I go with 5wt or try 2.5wt?

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Fork oil weights are all over the place! Look up each brand and compare the reported [email protected] before buying. I think MRP used Torco rff 7wt that has cst of 16.1. Mutol 2.5 is similar to that. Seems like Mutol is thicker. I'm going to try Maxima 3wt to make the damping lighter.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by FactoryMatt View Post
    you're killing me lol. just ride the thing

it's pretty thin, pretty soft paint. maybe try a good clear coat. and kiss resale goodbye if that matters.
    Ha ha actually my polishing them made the finish more durable. And they don't get that faded look that seems to happen if you clean them with alcohol.

Also need to find out if I can get them chocoluxe internals sent to me. The site says can get them with a fork service but I don't need a fork service.
    And I can do the service myself I've had the damper cartridge completely apart several times I could disassemble/reassemble blindfolded at this point.

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin van deventer View Post
    also need to find out if i can get them chocoluxe internals sent to me. The site says can get them with a fork service but i don't need a fork service.
    wb-17-5040 ribbon coil chocoluxe upgrade $54.95
    wb-17-5041 ribbon air chocoluxe upgrade $64.95
    NOAH SEARS

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    wb-17-5040 ribbon coil chocoluxe upgrade $54.95
    wb-17-5041 ribbon air chocoluxe upgrade $64.95
    Sweet. Thanks Noah.

mtbr member
    Just got my Ribbon Air and had a chance to take it for its first ride. 10 years ago I was on a Reba that was nice and plush and perfect for XC rides. After moving to Oregon 5 years ago, the Reba extended to 120mm just turned it into a noodle. Switched to a Fox 34 (with MRP Ramp Control) and appreciated the increase in chassis stiffness, but certainly want as plush as the Reba and rode quite deep in its travel. When switching to a boost frame, went with the Ribbon Air and what a difference! The suppleness I remember from the Reba, but it rides much higher in its travel. The Ribbon tracks so much better than the Fox 34 as well. That was very surprising. I didn't realize I was bouncing around on the Fox as much as I was until I rode the Ribbon.

2 minor issues. First the fork is quite noisy in both the compression and rebound stroke when hitting high speed impacts. Something I'll need to get used to. Second, I'm missing having a true lockout. Adding the full 8 clicks of low speed compression damping works well when climbing seated, but once you're out of the saddle it will bob up and down.

All in all, very happy so far.
    Pivot Mach429

Ride On

MRP Ribbon

Top out thump?

Anyone else running a Ribbon Air get a hard thump at rapid full extension (with the bike resting on the floor push down on the bars and pull up rapidly). I have not found any mention in reviews of this fork so Iím starting to think perhaps Iíve got it set up incorrectly. Itís always had this issue and speaking to the folks at MRP they have made a couple of suggestions including sending me a softer top out bumper. Nothing solves the issue except running at least 10psi more neg air pressure. I prefer this fork set up a little firmer but then I get the thump at top out, which I prefer not to experience.

I appreciate any help!

Cheers,

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Quote Originally Posted by geraldooka View Post
    Top out thump?

Anyone else running a Ribbon Air get a hard thump at rapid full extension (with the bike resting on the floor push down on the bars and pull up rapidly). I have not found any mention in reviews of this fork so Iím starting to think perhaps Iíve got it set up incorrectly. Itís always had this issue and speaking to the folks at MRP they have made a couple of suggestions including sending me a softer top out bumper. Nothing solves the issue except running at least 10psi more neg air pressure. I prefer this fork set up a little firmer but then I get the thump at top out, which I prefer not to experience.

I appreciate any help!

Cheers,
    Howdy,

So did you swap out the top-out bumper?

"I prefer this fork set up a little firmer but then I get the thump at top out"
    I assume you're getting the firmness you like by setting the pressures equally? There are other ways to firm-up the ride you might try. You could increase your pressures (and run 5-10psi more in negative) or add some low-speed compression. Have you tried those setups?
    NOAH SEARS

Ride On
    Howdy,

So did you swap out the top-out bumper?

"I prefer this fork set up a little firmer but then I get the thump at top out"
    I assume you're getting the firmness you like by setting the pressures equally? There are other ways to firm-up the ride you might try. You could increase your pressures (and run 5-10psi more in negative) or add some low-speed compression. Have you tried those setups?
    Hi Noah, yes it appeared the same as the one already in there but I did so anyways the thump is still there.

I have not been able to experiment with anything lower than 110% psi in the neg. chamber as I get the hard thump at top out. I'm using the same digital gauge you had suggested in the past, I can perhaps do something like 9psi over but definitely not equal or close to.

I've tried running higher pressures to keep the fork up, for my weight (150lb) MRP recommends 75psi pos. (120mm travel) I've had to go north of 105psi to get to a reasonable sag point (shooting for 20%). The thump persists at any pos pressure I've experimented with (60-110) unless I run at least 110% psi in the neg. chamber. The issue is running 110% psi in the neg. chamber drops my fork down by almost 10mm before I sit on the bike sitting on it then gets me well past 20% sag point. I am in the process of raising the travel to accommodate the loss of height but unfortunately broke the damper knob on install (I forgot about the procedure of opening up the rebound all the way etc.) I've since acquired the more detailed service manual.

Is it possible to run less than 110% psi in the neg chamber and not get the hard thump at top out? Or is this just by design?

Thanks,

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Hi Noah, yes it appeared the same as the one already in there but I did so anyways the thump is still there.

I have not been able to experiment with anything lower than 110% psi in the neg. chamber as I get the hard thump at top out. I'm using the same digital gauge you had suggested in the past, I can perhaps do something like 9psi over but definitely not equal or close to.

I've tried running higher pressures to keep the fork up, for my weight (150lb) MRP recommends 75psi pos. (120mm travel) I've had to go north of 105psi to get to a reasonable sag point (shooting for 20%). The thump persists at any pos pressure I've experimented with (60-110) unless I run at least 110% psi in the neg. chamber. The issue is running 110% psi in the neg. chamber drops my fork down by almost 10mm before I sit on the bike sitting on it then gets me well past 20% sag point. I am in the process of raising the travel to accommodate the loss of height but unfortunately broke the damper knob on install (I forgot about the procedure of opening up the rebound all the way etc.) I've since acquired the more detailed service manual.

Is it possible to run less than 110% psi in the neg chamber and not get the hard thump at top out? Or is this just by design?

Thanks,
    Where is your rebound set? Does your damper appear to be working normally?

Some of what you might perceive as travel loss when you exceed equal pressure is just the top out bumper decompressing -- you aren't actually "losing travel" rather, your fork is hyperextended. How much stanchion is showing from the top of the wiper to the inside edge the fork crown when you fill it to 105-110% negative?
    NOAH SEARS

Ride On
    Where is your rebound set? Does your damper appear to be working normally?

Some of what you might perceive as travel loss when you exceed equal pressure is just the top out bumper decompressing -- you aren't actually "losing travel" rather, your fork is hyperextended. How much stanchion is showing from the top of the wiper to the inside edge the fork crown when you fill it to 105-110% negative?
    Iíll have to measure the stanchion when I get the replacement rebound knob adjuster.

I had about 8 clicks out on the rebound and didnít run any compression usually. Iím either going up steep switchbacks or down them.

Iím not suggesting Iím losing travel I donít know if I am. Only that the fork will suck down about 10mm and then I sit on the bike and I get sag of course. Essentially Iím not getting the 532 atoc with the bike just sitting which is unlike my 34 or Pikes that sit at quoted atoc. This fork is on a hardtail so that drop of the front end is noticed more than I imagine it would be on a full sus.

Still if I had to run it at 130 thatís no big deal. The annoying issue is the inability to run the neg pressure at anything less than 110% without the thump which it quite noticeable when riding so much so Iím really surprised itís not mentioned more, hence why I think I must be doing something wrong

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Still if I had to run it at 130 thatís no big deal. The annoying issue is the inability to run the neg pressure at anything less than 110% without the thump which it quite noticeable when riding so much so Iím really surprised itís not mentioned more, hence why I think I must be doing something wrong
    The scenario you have is that at 120mm you've got to run higher pressures than most on this thread (who are mostly 140-170). Top out is influenced by the top-out bumper, the negative air-spring, and rebound damping. Your fork is rebounding with such force that the top-out bumper is not providing adequate...bumpering? Using more negative spring pressure takes some of the burden off the top-out bumper.

First we went too soft on our top-out bumpers, they didn't "thunk" but they would get compressed and deform over time. I think we went too far the other direction on the second gen ones, they didn't provide enough cushion. Third generation bumpers use the same material as our Hazzard coil-shock bottom-out bumpers. They're better IMO. We have yet another version we're testing though, and we would be happy to send you one. The durometer is in-between the first and second gen parts.
    NOAH SEARS

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Top out thump?

I appreciate any help!

Cheers,
    I have the exact same issue, even after having the fork back to MRP once to be checked out. It isn't overly noticeable out riding and I'm usually at about +8psi on the neg chamber anyway, so never pushed them further on the issue.

Not sure if it's related, but my fork "falls" (ie. no dampening) into the first approx 15mm of it's stroke after being fully extended. The leads to a bit of a thunk feeling, kinda like a loose headset. Sending it in for that issue didn't resolve it either. Much more pronounced the more LSC is used.

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Quote Originally Posted by kiotae View Post
    Not sure if it's related, but my fork "falls" (ie. no dampening) into the first approx 15mm of it's stroke after being fully extended. The leads to a bit of a thunk feeling, kinda like a loose headset. Sending it in for that issue didn't resolve it either. Much more pronounced the more LSC is used.
    That sounds like air in the damper. If your fork was returned to you like that following service, that's not acceptable. Please reach out to us via e-mail info (at) mrpbike.com if so.
    NOAH SEARS

Ride On
    The scenario you have is that at 120mm you've got to run higher pressures than most on this thread (who are mostly 140-170). Top out is influenced by the top-out bumper, the negative air-spring, and rebound damping. Your fork is rebounding with such force that the top-out bumper is not providing adequate...bumpering? Using more negative spring pressure takes some of the burden off the top-out bumper.

First we went too soft on our top-out bumpers, they didn't "thunk" but they would get compressed and deform over time. I think we went too far the other direction on the second gen ones, they didn't provide enough cushion. Third generation bumpers use the same material as our Hazzard coil-shock bottom-out bumpers. They're better IMO. We have yet another version we're testing though, and we would be happy to send you one. The durometer is in-between the first and second gen parts.
    Iíd be thankful for anything that may reduce or eliminate the thunk!

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    That sounds like air in the damper. If your fork was returned to you like that following service, that's not acceptable. Please reach out to us via e-mail info (at) mrpbike.com if so.
    Thanks for the response Noah.

That's what Eric seemed to think as well and had me try to do a bleed on it at home. It didn't work (I only lost 1 tiny detent bearing!) so the next step was sending it in. The report back was that they saw some cavitation (which I don't understand) and fixed that up.

I didn't really see any improvement. It's kinda hard to explain, but really obvious when you see it. It's like the initial sticktion is holding it up and it breaks into that very initial part of the stroke with a small thunk, then all work great. Running the neg chamber high negates a lot of it to the point when it's only really noticeable in the parking lot.

Honestly, the fork feels so good otherwise I just have gotten used to it and figured I'd tackle it again when it's time for a full service in Spring. It's well out of warranty now, so I'd rather pay for it all at once.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    All fixed!

I've got 2.5wt Motul oil in my Coil. The low speed adjuster feels like it barely changes anything now - although the rebound goes from pretty slow to very fast, so it must be working!
    Last edited by kerpoise; 3 Days Ago at 12:38 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Maybe spoke too soon!

I'm not sure if it's the lighter weight oil, at 2.5wt, but the low speed compression adjust doesn't feel like it is changing anything.

I've got 6 clicks, which all rotate fine as normal, but I don't feel any difference in platform.

The rebound works fine as normal.

What could I have done wrong when reassembling?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Month ago in the warmer Season i have done the Damper Oil change to Biotech 3Wt.
    The Fork worked as i expected...
    But now, Fall in Switzerland with Temperatures slightly over 2-5įC i have to set the rebound on 16 from closed. Seems like Biotech 3Wt reacts more with colder Temperatures...
    What is your Experience with Stock Oil?
    Rider with Backpack 150lbs, 52 positive 54 negativ. No Rampup...

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Maybe spoke too soon!

I'm not sure if it's the lighter weight oil, at 2.5wt, but the low speed compression adjust doesn't feel like it is changing anything.

I've got 6 clicks, which all rotate fine as normal, but I don't feel any difference in platform.

The rebound works fine as normal.

What could I have done wrong when reassembling?
    Well, it appears I've two problems.

1. The damper rod has unthreaded from the silver flange, which should be semi-permanent and not be able to unscrew

2. The silver flange is too low in the crown, so it is allowing the oil to bypass the damper.

The chap at MRP has suggested removing the damper rod and the silver flange, to thread lock them together.

Has anyone removed the damper rod? I need some steps to follow!

mtbr member
    I had issues with my Ribbon from the getgo.
    It was returned and rebuilt, with new lowers. It felt better, but has never felt amazing. A few people Iíve talked with told me how great the Ribbon was and then subsequently mentioned the coil kit they swapped in. From now on its Lyriks for me. My new bike came with a Lyrik and my hardtail has one as well. Buttery smooth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    GG Smash

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011