MRP Jackson Air Shock - Closer to Production- Mtbr.com
    Formerly PaintPeelinPbody

MRP Jackson Air Shock - Closer to Production

Pinkbike bugged Noah about this, and we finally got some deats, as well as some good pictures of it.

Name:  p3pb17897119.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  91.4 KB

"MRP's Noah Sears had this to say when pressed for info: ''Your eagle-eyed reader did spot one of the air shock prototypes we currently have in field testing. This project has been in development for several years and I look forward to the day that the world at large will be able to experience it for themselves.

The current prototypes are close to production but do not yet have a firm ETA on public availability. The internals step outside of traditional shock designs in order to provide unmatched performance, so it is critically important that it be completely vetted both through extensive lab testing and the toughest real-world environments (if you’ve taken a Whole Enchilada shuttle in the past few weeks, you may have seen one). The results thus far have been fantastic, but we’ll defer on releasing any details of the project, such as specs and features until it is finalized.''

Okay, so not much info there, but Sears did include a better photo of the shock (top), and its name: The Jackson.

Internally, you're probably not going to be wrong if you assumed the Jackson employs a twin-tube damper layout. That's what you'll find inside their forks, and it'd make sense for the relatively small suspension company to follow suit at the back of the bike. There seem to be multiple adjustment dials at the upper eyelet, too, including a pedal-assist switch.
    MRP prototype air-sprung shock.
    Two air valves and a whole lot of black. What's going on inside of MRP's upcoming shock?

A traditional air-sprung shock uses a single valve and some variation of a self-equalizing bleed port to automatically pressurize the negative chamber, but it looks like MRP might be letting riders manually adjust the negative pressure via a second valve (the top one). More negative pressure would help push the shock into its stroke and feel more supple, while less pressure can be used to create more efficient, less active suspension. On top of that, the knurled caps hint at it being easy to add or subtract volume spacers from either chamber to further tune the spring rate."
    Work - Utility GIS Analyst
    Party - 2019 Guerrilla Gravity Revved Trail Pistol Sz 3

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Going along with the periscope look, this could have been the "Ahab" shock.

I'm up to welcoming air shock options though... In for more info.

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Quote Originally Posted by mike156 View Post
    Going along with the periscope look, this could have been the "Ahab" shock.
    That's good! I never made the periscope association until someone commented on PB.

It's named after the Jackson trail in Moab, which is literally over the hill from Captain Ahab.

I'm afraid I can't say anything else re: specs or features.
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP - VP of Business Development
    Pivot Cycles - Team Rider

mtbr member
    Just ordered a Ribbon Air. Need a matching Jackson in 7.25" x 1.75"...
    Pivot Mach429

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by NoahColorado View Post
    It's named after the Jackson trail in Moab, which is literally over the hill from Captain Ahab.

I'm afraid I can't say anything else re: specs or features.
    Figured that was the case on both points. How about rough questimate of when details might come out??? Weeks? Months? Years? It's looking fairly polished if it's in it's final design phase.

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Quote Originally Posted by mike156 View Post
    Figured that was the case on both points. How about rough questimate of when details might come out??? Weeks? Months? Years? It's looking fairly polished if it's in it's final design phase.
    Not years.
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP - VP of Business Development
    Pivot Cycles - Team Rider

Elitest thrill junkie
    So it'll have adjustable LSC/HSC/LSR and maybe HSR? Instead of some jerkoff-quick-range adjuster like every other air shock fails with?
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

C-H
    mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    but it looks like MRP might be letting riders manually adjust the negative pressure via a second valve
    Very good! That's an option I'd really like to have.

C-H
    mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Bump out of curiosity.