mozo??- Mtbr.com

Thread: mozo??

Feb 2006

mozo??

has any body heard of a mozo m30? is it the junk im assuming came on my mongoose?

and yes im a newbie

ride hard take risks
    Yup its a cheapo.

Feb 2006
    are we talking megajunk or pain in the neck junk? its only bottomed out once when i was doing somthing stupid should i be looking for somthing better right away?

Freshly Fujified

Where did you purchase the bike?

Quote Originally Posted by irishmtbiker
    are we talking megajunk or pain in the neck junk? its only bottomed out once when i was doing somthing stupid should i be looking for somthing better right away?
    There's a reason I ask where, as Mongoose makes a couple lines of bikes. Some are made specifically for the trails, some are not trail worthy at all. The model number and where you purchased the bike can help us to advise you on upgrading the fork.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Call_me_Clyde
    There's a reason I ask where, as Mongoose makes a couple lines of bikes. Some are made specifically for the trails, some are not trail worthy at all. The model number and where you purchased the bike can help us to advise you on upgrading the fork.

Bob
    sports authority (hey it was half off) when i bought the bike i thought as i got better i could up grade everything into a halfway decent bike. and all i can get off the fork is mozo m30

Freshly Fujified

Tough call

I checked Sports Authority's website and they only listed 3 Mongoose bikes. Unfortunately, only one of them looked the slightest bit trail worthy, based on the components it came with. It could be that they offer better bikes in their showroom, but my best guess given the limited info I have is that you are probably better off saving for a new bike from a bike shop rather than putting more money into this frame.

Again, this is just an educated guess based on what info I've been provided with.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Call_me_Clyde
    I checked Sports Authority's website and they only listed 3 Mongoose bikes. Unfortunately, only one of them looked the slightest bit trail worthy, based on the components it came with. It could be that they offer better bikes in their showroom, but my best guess given the limited info I have is that you are probably better off saving for a new bike from a bike shop rather than putting more money into this frame.

Again, this is just an educated guess based on what info I've been provided with.

Bob
    http://www.sportsauthority.com/produ...ductId=2057161
    heres the link to the 06 version of what i have.
    buying a new bike is not an option right now. i've got to save for collage. and if i even mentioned a new bike im pretty sure my parents would kick me out . the frame seems like it would last though almost any thing (its alum.) the drivetrain and all is decent but the rims r alittle flimsy (already put a nice wobble into them in a dare i say awsome crash ) im just concerned that if i ride it hard its going to die on me... guess i'll hafta deal w/ that when it comes

thanks for all your help. i really appreciate some experianced advice.

Dec 2005
    buying a new bike is not an option right now. i've got to save for collage. and if i even mentioned a new bike im pretty sure my parents would kick me out . the frame seems like it would last though almost any thing (its alum.) the drivetrain and all is decent but the rims r alittle flimsy (already put a nice wobble into them in a dare i say awsome crash ) im just concerned that if i ride it hard its going to die on me... guess i'll hafta deal w/ that when it comes

I had a bike just like that with the Mozo M30.

You have to oil the crap out of the fork to keep it smooth all the time or else it will freeze up.

Just don't try doing any drops of any height on it. You bike will last at least a year if you don't abuse it.

Freshly Fujified

Don't upgrade it

Unfortunately, this bike isn't really suitable for serious trail riding. The bike should be fine for gravel paths and tooling around in the park, but it's not one of Mongoose's bona-fide mountain bikes. It seems like you've already realized some of the limitations of the bike in questioning the quality of the fork, and damaging the rim. I would be very careful with how you use this bike, especially in light of the damage you've done to one of the rims.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but it's better you educate yourself now so that when you're ready to purchase the next bike, you have a better understanding of what to look for. I would suggest going to the "Beginner's Corner" forum on this site and read the first thread there entitled "Beginners and Department Store Bikes". This should put some things in perspective for you.

Bob

Feb 2006
    i know by now that lbs is good and department is bad lol. but i did get a 2 year warrenty on my bike and so far the bike tech. a sports authority has been great (fixed my rims nicely) and fairly quick getting the bike back. i guess i'll just hafta start saving in anticipation of killing my bike o well.

what r some of the good brands for beginer level bikes?

Freshly Fujified

Sooooo many brands

Trek, Giant, Specialized, Cannondale, Iron Horse, Kona, KHS......the list goes on and on. Almost every major manufacturer will have an entry level offering. Start window shopping at your LBS and educate yourself about bike components, their respective reputations, what makes one bike different than another, etc., etc. It's a daunting task, but the more you research the better off you'll be when you're finally ready to make the purchase.

In the meantime, continue to take full advantage of that two year warranty!

Bob

ride hard take risks
    Chasing irishmtbiker from post to post is tireing, your here your over there your back again.

mtbr member
    I had pretty decent success with a mid-grade Mongoose ($700 range) especially after slapping a RockShox on the front, some Easton riser bars etc.

Keep in mind that all bike manufacturers are really just frame companies. It is possible to turn an averge frame into a decent performer with the right components. Just remember the lower end bikes are generally much heavier.
    Mountain Bike Tales
    Digital Mountain Bike Magazine

Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Blendthree
    I had pretty decent success with a mid-grade Mongoose ($700 range) especially after slapping a RockShox on the front, some Easton riser bars etc.

Keep in mind that all bike manufacturers are really just frame companies. It is possible to turn an averge frame into a decent performer with the right components. Just remember the lower end bikes are generally much heavier.
    gotcha. so its a bad idea to put more money into what i have now but y couldnt i upgrade it and buy a new frame when i get a bigger chunk of money?
    ...many im just taking every think i knew from paintball about "its not the marker its the player" which is true for paintball but i guess it doesnt carry over into mtb

mtbr member

Mozo

Well,actually,as compared to a Wallmart bike,the fork is real.At least from what I can see in the pic.RST/MOZO is a company that just went by the wayside.I'd put some riser bars on it,maybe tires.Sorta,kinda try to maintain it,have fun on it,beat the crap out of it!And save for a new bike.Now for a pure evil thought,get a credit card,by bike tear it up.Or get credit at LBS.I could never save,but had a steady job.Actually 6 months no intrest is a pretty good deal.You can always sell the bike real cheap to some kid with no money.And feel good about it.

Members who have read this thread: 0