Monarch RT3 rear shock losing air in cold weather?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2008

Monarch RT3 rear shock losing air in cold weather?

Anyone else had trouble with the Monarch RT3 sealing in the cold? i've got 2 now that are losing air.
    recent rides are ranging about -2 to +3 air temperature, so cold, but not really cold!
    I run about 120 psi only, and found one down to 60 regularly (useless, going back for service) other down to 90 slowly.
    Never had this trouble with fox shocks btw :/
    Though it was just one bad shock but starting to wonder if they have a general seal problem? Can anything be done about this, different lube maybe? Shocks both new never taken apart.
    Any thoughts appreciated..

mtbr member
    I had quite a few rides ruined by Fox shocks that did this.

Replace the air can seals. Check the fluid level. Make sure the seals are wet.

mk

mtbr member
    May 2008
    cheers ok next question was going to be what lube you use, Fox float fluid is ok in Monarchs, same as Fox?

reason i didn't lube first shock was that i was told not to as it would invalidate warranty.. crazy i know, and sure enough leak came back worse.

this is always fixed by new seals/lube or there can be more going on?

found this interesting also
    2012 Rockshox SID RCT3 and Monarch RT3 - Page 2 - mtbNJ.com

seems common air leak problems on, on last year's shocks? not sure.
    Last edited by Smiff; 02-25-2013 at 04:49 AM.

mtbr member
    Seals. The lube is part of the process but I think the main issue is the seals.

mk

mtbr member
    May 2008
    yeah kinda guessed it was seals.. now with 2 leaking was wondering if anyone had any experience or tips..
    i'll get the first warrantied, open and lube the 2nd, and hope they last a bit longer!

Shock action is brilliant so i don't really want to go to Fox even though i can see an RP32 right size for about same price.. pretty sure it wouldn't feel as good. the Monarch just gets better and better the faster you go and very little bob.

mtbr member
    It's a scaled down dh shock and it works really well. Rapid recovery is money and it's got better mid-stroke support with a better spring rate than the Fox stuff I've ridden. I've always had to run Fox way over sag to get it to feel ok under power, making it a bit harsh. With the Monarch Plus, I can sag it low for steep crazyness or pump it up to standard for bike park or all day rides.

I have ridden 100-milers on that shock and loved it all day. I have ridden a few hundred dh runs on it and smiled dropping 10 feet to transition without looking. It's a great product. RS hit it out of the park for sure.

mk

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Thing is, as soon as it loses air, any more than about 20psi, i have a big problem and can't ride properly (El Guapo, hitting the ground).

Market is flooded with barely used Monarch RT3 due to on-one spec-ing it as standard and loads of people wanting to "upgrade"

Do your comments apply to both Monarch and + or just Monarch+ ? + would be my choice money no object, just not sure what difference really is..
    Last edited by Smiff; 02-26-2013 at 03:55 AM.

mtbr member
    My apologies. I was referring to the Monarch Plus. The Monarch is the cross-country model generally designed for shorter-travel bikes.

mk

mtbr member
    May 2008
    no worries, what's reliability like on the Plus? i can't imagine it being more reliable as there's more there to go wrong - ? but if i see one at a good price i'll probably snap it up just to see how much better it is!

mtbr member
    Hi,
    any updates from rock shox?
    i have experinced the same issues on my reignx with the monarch plus (started a few weeks ago - before that i had no issues even during long rides in snow at about -5°C)
    now it looses about 100psi within the first 5 minutes of riding at around 6°C (and i kept the bike indoor before riding). Goes back for service now (i only rode it for about 20h since i got it)
    also noticed a "pfffh" sound when compressing the damper.

mtbr member
    I replaced some seals for a local shop on a Giant that they were going to call in for warranty service for the same reason. Popped the air can, cleaned it, installed new (lubed) air can seals, fluid and reassembled it. They checked it overnight before returning it to the customer and I'm guessing he hasn't been back. It's been over a month.

The Monarch Plus has been really reliable for me, other than the first set of seals. Not sure if they didn't lube them during assembly or what.

mk

mtbr member
    May 2008
    yeah gonna service mine, got the expensive kit about £40, which lube do you use please?

mtbr member
    Manual calls for some 15w-50. Any o-ring lube will work.

mk

mtbr member
    May 2008
    engine oil? i have mobil1 fully synth 15w-30 how's that?
    Fox Float Fluid is much thicker.. like 85w gearbox oil, iirc.
    i should check manual hmm.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Engine oil seems way to thin to go into shocks.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    that's what i thought. i'd expect all air shocks to need similar lube i.e. blue Fox Fluid or similar. i was told SRAM wouldn't warranty if wrong fluid was used, what do they use, red stuff?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Could be an air seal blown or a cartridge ruined by the cold.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    apparently (service manual) you're supposed to use Parker O-lube. it's crazy expensive (£7 for 2g or £50 for a tube?)

So i'll use Fox Float or similar i think.. unless anyone has better ideas? and will this invalidate my warranty? credit to SRAM these things are fully serviceable, the manual goes into Damper / Piston and IFP service as well

edit: sorry, absolutely right, air can service says

Inject 0.3 mL of Maxima® Maxum4 Extra 15w 50 into the air can.
    So.. coat orings in a thick lube (ideally parker olube, or fox float?), grease threads and some bits, and then a tiny squirt of 15w-50 into the air can. bizarre. on Fox shocks you just pour in some more float fluid, that's all you need. don't want to buy 1 litr of 15w-50 enough for 3000 services
    Last edited by Smiff; 03-07-2013 at 05:13 AM.

mtbr member
    Yeah, RS calls for 15w-50. Don't TELL them you use something different. Once you clear the hurdle of sending it in, they won't test it for shock oil weight, they'll just service and ship it back or send you a new one, which is more likely.

mk

mtbr member
    May 2008
    right, but all RS stuff is yellow, fox is blue, and the smell is very different, they might well notice!

it's a pain, you have to buy all these lubes, i have so many already.. Pace fork grease, mobil1 15-w30, fox float, APL. service kit doesn't include lube like the fox kits either.

yeah i reckon for fixing air can leaks as long as you have some sort of thick runny lube in there you'll be ok.

Members who have read this thread: 1