Monarch RT3 leaking oil from compression knob - please help- Mtbr.com
    Huckin' trails

Monarch RT3 leaking oil from compression knob - please help

Hi, so I bought a nice white RS Monarch RT3 off Pinkbike las year for a steal, shock is like new, never ridden, but I guess I found the catch for the very low price. After a couple rides, I noticed the 3 positions floodgate lever wasn't making much of a difference no matter how it was set and you could tell the little slower compression when pushing down on the bike, but it wasn't even good enough to tell a difference when riding the bike. Then I noticed a small oil leak coming from the shaft where the knobs are mounted and it's been sitting there for way too long now and I'd like to see what could be the possible reasons for the leak and what can I do.

My best guess after looking at the SRAM service manuel of 2012 is the piston shaft may have loosen from the top assembly where the air can threads in, thus allowing for a slight amount of splashing oil to be forced trough the threads and then coming out from the compression knob's shaft, but I find it strange because I didn't really noticed a loss of air can pressure. And if it came all the way from the IFP chamber, then my shock would already be sagging and not properly working at all due to the oil leaving the IFP chamber and allowing the IFP piston to move up, etc. Either way, I'd like to know what you guys think and if I need parts, to get them first before taking the shock apart. I'm comfortable doing the full service including the IFP chamber and such, but I'd rather avoid unnecessary trouble if I can.

No scratch on the body either, it's pristine.

Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    The most likely answer is that an o-ring is damaged. Could be at the top of the shaft or the tiny orings on the internal shaft that puts preload on the poppet. Either way, full rebuild time.

Huckin' trails
    Anyone has experience with or knowledge of the top part of the shock, where the knobs are ? What's the internal mechanism ? I'm assuming it's a push-rod inside the shaft that transfers the the rotation of the knobs all the way down to the piston.

Thanks Mullen, my first though was a faulty o-ring too, but since I couldn't point out the o-ring that could lead to such leak from the part diagram, I'm still looking for more insight before taking it apart.
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by David C View Post
    Anyone has experience with or knowledge of the top part of the shock, where the knobs are ? What's the internal mechanism ? I'm assuming it's a push-rod inside the shaft that transfers the the rotation of the knobs all the way down to the piston.

Thanks Mullen, my first though was a faulty o-ring too, but since I couldn't point out the o-ring that could lead to such leak from the part diagram, I'm still looking for more insight before taking it apart.
    There are 3 orings inside the main shaft. One at the top/inside of the main shaft that seals the rebound needle to the shaft and two that seal the compression shaft to the inside of rebound needle. One of those o rings are your issue. The mechanism is just two cams that put various amount of preload on the rebound needle or compression shaft. Everything is sealed before it gets the the cams. I have owned and rebuilt/tuned 6 different variations of the monarch, including 2011, 2012, and 2015 RT3's. I can guarantee that one of those 3 are your issue.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mullen119 View Post
    There are 3 orings inside the main shaft. One at the top/inside of the main shaft that seals the rebound needle to the shaft and two that seal the compression shaft to the inside of rebound needle. One of those o rings are your issue. The mechanism is just two cams that put various amount of preload on the rebound needle or compression shaft. Everything is sealed before it gets the the cams. I have owned and rebuilt/tuned 6 different variations of the monarch, including 2011, 2012, and 2015 RT3's. I can guarantee that one of those 3 are your issue.
    This is a 2012 I have spare parts for. Inside the top of the shaft on the left is an oring. Rebound needle in the middle. Compression shaft on right. This version on the compression shaft only has one oring at the bottom, some versions have one at the top as well. Cam in on far right, the seal on it is to keep dirt out only.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Monarch RT3 leaking oil from compression knob - please help-14342910706211608902925.jpg  

Huckin' trails
    Awesome ! Yes I believe mine to be a 2012 or 2013, it still has the 2012 graphic theme and it looks exactly like the picture you posted. I'll snap a pic of mine in a sec.

Could I possibly change the o-ring without having to open the piston assembly, but simply depressurize the IFP and remove the air can body ?

Huckin' trails

Monarch RT3 leaking oil from compression knob - please help

Monarch RT3 leaking oil from compression knob - please help-imageuploadedbytapatalk1434316680.380817.jpg

Monarch RT3 leaking oil from compression knob - please help-imageuploadedbytapatalk1434316719.275875.jpg

Huckin' trails
    Monarch RT3 leaking oil from compression knob - please help-imageuploadedbytapatalk1434316817.038366.jpg

mtbr member
    At this point, you need a full rebuild. You lost enough oil that air is now in the damper and it's not functioning properly and the ifp depth is likely rising as it pushes the oil out.

Huckin' trails
    Any idea on the cost of parts and/or labor ? I can get parts from the distributor since I'm a mechanic, but I don't feel like putting up with the hassle of a full rebuild these days.

how heavy are you ??
    SRAM won't sell parts..
    What does Marsellus Wallace look like, A BIT*H? :)

mtbr member
    Sram sells a full rebuild kit, but I'm not sure if it has the orings for the metering rods. I want to say it does include them. They also sell parts but in my experience it can be really hard to find stock.

There are only two orings that could cause this leak. One is inside the rebound meter rod right at the top and the other is on the comp rod that you can see in mullen's picture. I have these oring sizes written down somewhere if you need them. Like mullen said, this all requires a full rebuild.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ktm520 View Post
    Sram sells a full rebuild kit, but I'm not sure if it has the orings for the metering rods. I want to say it does include them. They also sell parts but in my experience it can be really hard to find stock.

There are only two orings that could cause this leak. One is inside the rebound meter rod right at the top and the other is on the comp rod that you can see in mullen's picture. I have these oring sizes written down somewhere if you need them. Like mullen said, this all requires a full rebuild.
    I think it was my 2009 monarch 2.1 the had 2 orings on the compression rod. The newer stuff only has 1 at the bottom.

mtbr member
    One is inside the rebound meter rod right at the top and the other is on the comp rod that you can see in mullen's picture.
    My bad, the oring that seals the od of the reb rod is in the end of the shaft.

Huckin' trails
    Well I might be in luck, one of my fellow mechanic at the shop has good experience with those shocks, so he'll look into it and most likely be able to fix it. I've checked our dealer's book and they have the "complete rebuild kit" for a few of the RS shocks, but no mention of what's included in the kit precisely, and that's $65 MSRP, so I should be good for around $50 of parts and beer.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

I need help too!

I have these oring sizes written down somewhere if you need them. Like mullen said, this all requires a full rebuild.
    I am in need of the tiny oring if you have the size and I can find somewhere that would be awesome. I got a full rebuild kit and damaged that darn tiny thing getting it all put back together.