Monarch RC3 Plus compression lever- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Monarch RC3 Plus compression lever

Hello,
    I'm trying to see a photo / diagram or anyone with tribal knowledge of how the Monarch Plus RC3 compression lever goes into the body.

Short story: I bought a used one on PB and it appears the person before tried to do a service and was not successful. I may just return the shock as it's not as described but in the event I keep it I'd like to know how to correct. the lever just spins 360 degrees, not like my other working RC3 with has open, soft, firm. In the full service kit that I have there are both screws (one is longer than the other), a spring and ball bearing. On what side does each of the pieces go? Does the ball bearing and or spring go in first then the lever or do they go under a screw?

I looked in all 2011 - current service manuals and none appear to have a diagram. The small parts PDF has the picture of the lever / parts but does not appear to represent the order.

Any help would be appreciated!

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Ok so the way it works is looking from the top of the reservoir with the rebound adjuster facing away from you, you have two small Allen screws. The left one will be the short Allen and the right will be the long. The screw on the right is what makes the stop and also what prevents you from being able to pull out the silver selector rod. Under the silver rod on the left side Allen is a bore (there is a bore under the right as well but thatís not used) where the spring and ball will go. So you need to remove both lens remove the silver rod and install the spring and ball, use a small Allen through the left hole and depress the spring and ball while you slide the silver rod back in then look through the top of the right opening and line up the slot cut in the silver rod and install the long Allen screw and just adjust tension by lever rotation feel, then install short screw in left hole.

mtbr member
    Excellent response; thank you!
    Out of curiosity (and I won't be testing this out), what would happen if this was done while the shock was charged (oil/pressure); would there be any leak? I don't see any seals to replace.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Aresab View Post
    Excellent response; thank you!
    Out of curiosity (and I won't be testing this out), what would happen if this was done while the shock was charged (oil/pressure); would there be any leak? I don't see any seals to replace.
    I'm not actually sure you could get the silver rod out with it under pressure. it has three different steps cut into it at varying depth and that is what pushes on the back of the needle that closes off the oil passage. the IFP pressure holds the needle tight against the silver rod. The O-ring seal is also on the needle portion and whether it would allow the rod to push too far back or not to allow the O-ring to come out of the bore I am not sure, I haven't tested that and wouldn't recommend it.