Model specific Shock Tunes - What are they really?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2019

Model specific Shock Tunes - What are they really?

When bike manufacturers work with shock manufacturers to create model specific shock tunes (ex: ML tune, MM Tune, DH tune on the new Norco Optic, etc.) what are they really changing inside the shock?

Is it things that we can change ourselves by buying parts online (ex: shock volume spacers) or things we don't have access to?

Say I buy a shock tuned for a Spesh Enduro for a Santa Cruz Nomad (nevermind the stroke, eye-to-eye compatibility), would I be able to change the tune myself to something more like a Nomad tune?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    If the shock has minimal adjustments, its good that they are tuned specifically for the frame. If the leverage curve is linear, you’d want an air shock with plenty of volume spacers. Or if the antisquat was low and the bike naturally pedals like crap, you’d want more low speed compression.

Now if you replace the shock with say an X2, you can tune it similar to factory settings but have the adjustments to make it more supple off the top or firmer for more support.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Yes, that's a good point. It's a good thing to have a shock with less adjustment be tuned specifically for your frame. That being said, I'm really interested in how they do it, what does a "tune" means specifically in terms of the inners of the shock. I'm sure they will affect progression, linearity, bottom-out resistance, sensitivity and what not, but what does Rockshox, Fox actually change inside the shock to achieve that? I'm guessing they don't overhaul the whole design of the shock as that would make it too capital intensive to build model-specific tunes.

mtbr member
    Different shim stacks. Some shocks are available with different air can volumes. Air spacers/tokens. These are almost always select from a few standard configurations.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Shim stack and air can are the difference. This is what the Ibis "traction tune" is about, just a softer shim stack.

It's definitely something you can do yourself, if you know what shims you need. It's still likely tuned for the average rider though, so if you are not average weight or average ability (or at least not what that manufacturer sees as "average") then that shim stack probably still isn't ideal for you.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    @mike156 @Lone Rager Thanks, that's very helpful.