Meg neg tuning- Mtbr.com

Thread: Meg neg tuning

mtbr member
    Nov 2017

Meg neg tuning

Hey guys
    Currently messing about with my meg neg and have a few questions theories

So I started with super deluxe full of bands on the Meg neg and no tokens and I want the positive chamber as big as possible while trying to achieve my bottom resistance via bigger negative chamber, so in effect if I make the negative bigger by taking bands out making the negative chamber bigger percentage wise to the positive is that same as adding tokens progression wise but Just not losing out on suppleness? Or am I thinking about this all wrong? So basically I seem to think you tune the negative chamber then polish it up by adding tokens to the positive chamber, as I imagine to big of a negitive chamber might start getting to harsh and unachievable travel etc also I try run consist 30 tob32% sag and I have left lsc off and will use that for fine tuning of need be. Shocks feeling amazing just needs tuning. Best thing I did get rid of the trek reactiv

Sent from my WAS-LX2 using ****************android_app_mtbr

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    In for responses.

I only have a couple of brief rides on my megnegged RT3 but it's been fantastic. It's bridged the gap to coil suspension with the addition of a nice smooth ramp up on end stroke.

my understanding is the negative chamber is for small bump and midstroke tuning, where as the positive is for bottom out. Experts correct me if I'm wrong please.

I started with 1 red token and 2 bands, I'm thinking of dropping to 0 tokens and 1 band in the negative, this is on a linear design frame too (stumpy evo)

very good product and from my brief experience with it so far a worthwhile one.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    More negative volume goes hand in hand with more air pressure...

More negative volume = more SAG (softer initial stroke)
    More air pressure = more spring rate everywhere

More Negative Volume + More pressure = similar initial stroke as small negative at lower pressure, but more mid stroke support.

End stroke progression is all about smaller positive chamber. But again, the larger negative with more pressure will have more bottom out resistance too because of the higher air pressure.

Underskilled
    If only someone had a calculator that would plot the graphs showing what varying air chamber would do

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Adjusting the air pressure increases or decreases the firmness of the shock more or less evenly throughout the entire range of travel. The volume spacers can be used to adjust the firmness of the shock at different points in the travel. Adding positive chamber bands makes the shock get firmer the deeper you get into the travel with very little effect at the top of the travel and the maximum effect felt just before bottom out. Adding negative chamber bands kind of does the opposite and makes the initial part of the travel firmer, which most people probably don't want, but it also makes the shock easier to bottom out if you already have zero positive tokens and your bike is still too progressive. I don't think most people would want to use negative and positive tokens simultaneously unless they want less midstroke support for some reason perhaps due to the leverage curve of their frame.

Quote Originally Posted by CaveGiant View Post
    If only someone had a calculator that would plot the graphs showing what varying air chamber would do
    It's a little dated now, but there's this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-l2l2kca0A

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    cool program just need to find how big the super deluxe specs like how big the negative chamber is

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    If you have some calipers, you could just pull the air can off and take a few measurements.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by dlxah View Post
    If you have some calipers, you could just pull the air can off and take a few measurements.
    Yeah tried that awkward as hell, I'll give it a proper try when I have more time.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Fill up the can with water, then transfer the water into a measuring cup to get the volume, suck it out with a big syringe, etc...

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk