Mattoc Comp vs Fox 34 Performance- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Mattoc Comp vs Fox 34 Performance

I'm looking to upgrade the fork on my bike and at same price point there's the 2019 Mattoc comp and 2018 Fox 34 Performance (Grip damper)

Pro cons of each one?

I know that the Mattoc is supposed to be servicable at home, what about the Fox?

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Would be interested to hear about this comparison too. Or then 34 Vs Pro if that makes more sense

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Don't know about the fox, but i own a mattoc comp and it's awesome! Easy to work on, easy to tune, simple, plush and reliable

Hitching a ride
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggs427 View Post
    what about the Fox?
    Yes. There are instructional videos on their site for everything. I went 34 because of weight. When Manitou comes out with the next gen, using the engineering that went into the Mezzer, I'll probably get that.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Schulze View Post
    Yes. There are instructional videos on their site for everything. I went 34 because of weight. When Manitou comes out with the next gen, using the engineering that went into the Mezzer, I'll probably get that.
    Which engineering are you referring to? At least the damper and air spring should be already available in mattoc pro, right?

mtbr member
    The mattoc comp blows away the grip damper by a lot. It spikes less, and while you can service both at home, you can easily and fully retune the comp at home.

It's WAY better and not really a fair comparison. The comp compares more evenly to the factory 34's or performance elites.

Hitching a ride
    To make it lighter. The boost versions of the Mattoc are heavy.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Are you referring to pro or comp?

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    The mattoc comp blows away the grip damper by a lot. It spikes less, and while you can service both at home, you can easily and fully retune the comp at home.

It's WAY better and not really a fair comparison. The comp compares more evenly to the factory 34's or performance elites.
    How do you tune the mattoc comp? I have a pro, and I hear talk of tuning it, but never really saw a guide like there is with the McLeod with mullen's thread.

Looking for a slightly softer tune maybe.

mtbr member
    Mattoc comp is just an overgrown minute abs+ fork, so the abs+ tuning guide applies.

I'm unfamiliar with the stock tune, but you still unbolt the lower foot nut on the piston and that gives you access to the shims.

mtbr member
    The Plus Boost Mattocs are heavier. The Boost (not plus) are pretty good but the Pro is lighter than the Comp because it has butted stanchions and ~100cc less oil volume.

I just weighed a Mattoc Boost Comp at 2070g (cut steerer with star nut and crown race)
    My Mattoc Boost Pro is 1880g with mudguard and dirt.
    Owner of www.shockcraft.co.nz, Mech Engineer, Tuner, Manitou, Motorex, Vorsprung EPTC, SKF, Enduro
    www.dougal.co.nz

Hitching a ride
    1880g is pretty good. I guess I was looking at the "plus" forks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ErnoNykanen View Post
    Would be interested to hear about this comparison too. Or then 34 Vs Pro if that makes more sense
    My main concern is the damper performance.

As an example I put a Mcleod in place of the Monarch RL while I was rebuilding and played with the shim stack trying to make it better. And even the revalved Monarch could not keep up with with the stock Mcleod.

For a couple of bumps it does ok but as soon as the trail's getting chunky like rock garden or when there's lot of roots the monarch gets overwhelmed while the Mcleod stays composed.

So my "spare" shock is now my main shock.

Now that the back is solid the fork (Recon RL) cannot keep up so that's why I'm looking for a replacement. In my price range there's the Comp and the 34 Performance.

I'm reading lot of reviews about the Mattoc Pro holding its ground against Fox 34 Elite vs Pike or even Fox 36 but there's not much about the Comp.

Guess that lower end products doesn't gets much love.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Well we're in a similar situation then it seems as I'm getting deluxe and recon on my new Fuel Ex and already looking to upgrade based on the reviews around the web and earlier experience with the motion control damper.

That's why I was asking specifically on the comp version in the Mattoc thread and got the following reply:
    Quote Originally Posted by mullen119 View Post
    The comp is an excellent fork. The spring systems between the comp and pro are the same, but the comp uses steel as the shaft material to keep costs down. Makes for the same performance, just a little heavier. Comps also use IVA instead of IRT. Basically a token system rather than I secondary air chamber.

The dampers (both VTT and abs+) person very well, they are just not as tuneable externally as the pros mc2 damper. The abs+ damper has a non adjustable HBO system. The VTT damper skips the HBO entirely. VTT has 2 compression shim stacks, one for a lock and one for main damping purposes. This allows for the main stack to work properly without need of preloading it. Basically, you get a XC lock out with the regular performance of the trail tune.

Chassis is mostly the same. Same lowers, same crown, different leg material (6066 aluminum instead of the pros 7050). Its slightly heavier, but also helps keep the price down.

The fine tuning of the pro is a benefit for people who are very particular, but the comp has 90% of the performance and a small weight penalty for hundreds cheaper. Its a great deal.
    Not a comparison to Fox 34 directly but when combined with the comparisons between pro and fox, it does sound like it would sound like something to try out when looking for a budget friendly solution.

mtbr member
    You can still hunt down brand new mattoc experts under $300.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggs427 View Post
    My main concern is the damper performance.

As an example I put a Mcleod in place of the Monarch RL while I was rebuilding and played with the shim stack trying to make it better. And even the revalved Monarch could not keep up with with the stock Mcleod.

For a couple of bumps it does ok but as soon as the trail's getting chunky like rock garden or when there's lot of roots the monarch gets overwhelmed while the Mcleod stays composed.

So my "spare" shock is now my main shock.

Now that the back is solid the fork (Recon RL) cannot keep up so that's why I'm looking for a replacement. In my price range there's the Comp and the 34 Performance.

I'm reading lot of reviews about the Mattoc Pro holding its ground against Fox 34 Elite vs Pike or even Fox 36 but there's not much about the Comp.

Guess that lower end products doesn't gets much love.
    Having the 34 Rhythm and DPS I found the set-up was way too harsh. I began looking for a used Magnum but others said its the shock that needs to go. I put on a McLeod and the 34 Rhythm has come alive! Itís like the Rhythm couldnít perform to its potential while compensating for the harshness of the DPS. So like the Mattoc Comp, the 34 Rhythm performs on par with the 34 Performance with a slight weight penalty. With the number of Rhythms out there, might be able to find a deal on one of those in 34 or 36.

mtbr member
    I waited too much and the Mattoc was not available anymore. I bought and installed the 34 and the results are good. The front now stays planted on repetitive bumps; where the Recon was not up to the task.

I did try to put the old Monarch to try it with the 34 and the difference is night and days!! A bigger difference between the Monarch / Mcleod than with the 34 and Recon.

The 34 and McLeod combo is a good one for a RMB Thunderbolt so far.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    @ErnoNykanen

I've replaced a Fox 34 with 2019 air piston with a Mattoc Pro. While the latest 34's are miles better than the old CTD and RLC's, the Mattoc with IRT is still in a different league. It is at the same time more supple, controlled and supportive. The Fox isn't bad. The Mattoc is just much better.
    If you go for the Mattoc, do make sure you get IRT. It makes a massive difference in support while maintaining suppleness.