Marzocchi Owners-Help with a Fork ID- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Marzocchi Owners-Help with a Fork ID

Need a little help on a fork ID. I believe its an '02, 80mm/100mm, ETA on the left, air on the right. Looks like there was an attempt at weight reduction by drilling the crown. Any ideas?
    Attached Images Attached Images

B A N N E D
    Apr 2007
    It's probably either this fork or this fork
    Last edited by cobba; 06-11-2009 at 12:57 AM.

mtbr member
    wow they drilled the crown out to save probably a whole 14.3788709g of weight, id check if that crown hasnt been compromised all to save a tiny bit of weight

B A N N E D
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick_M2R
    wow they drilled the crown out to save probably a whole 14.3788709g of weight, id check if that crown hasnt been compromised all to save a tiny bit of weight

That crown on that model fork was forged that way it wasn't drilled.
    Last edited by cobba; 06-11-2009 at 12:50 AM.

nnn
    mtbr member
    Yeah, looks very similar to my 80mm Mx comp whcih had holes in the crown.
    "Life begins at 140" Richard Burns
    http://www.nikolay-k.com

Oct 2005
    You apparently don't know what you're talking about. There are thousands of those forks out there, and that is not the first generation of Zokes with holes in the crowns.

That is an MX Pro ETA or an MX Comp ETA. I can't see the rebound adjuster knob. The MXComp had internal, while the Pro had an external adjuster on the bottom of the air leg.'

To get the exact year, I believe on the ETA side leg, right above the dropout, you will see a circle stamping with the year. My silver 105 Pro was an 03 model, made in 02. Just add one year to the number and that's the model year it was made for. I'm guessing it's an 03 model year. Could be an 04 model year.

Also be careful of that plastic lever because they will break. It took lots of hassling of Zoke to get a replacement, and they knew it was a weak design. They claimed they weren't at fault, but sent me an Al lever, and then redesigned them for the next year. They told me on the phone that they never heard of the levers breaking, but meanwhile, the reviews are loaded with those complaints.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    You apparently don't know what you're talking about. There are thousands of those forks out there, and that is not the first generation of Zokes with holes in the crowns.
    No your right i had no idea they came like that....
    I admit it, 2 me that seems a sad attempt at trying to lighten a fork, so be it i may be wrong and you may flame the hell outta me, but it really ticks me off to see companies do things like that to save about 20grams and yet they may be compromising the long term durability of the fork, its my opinion and you anit gonna change it

Flame if you wish

Oct 2005
    I think you're getting worked up over nothing.

They didn't compromise long term durability.

mtbr member
    No your right i had no idea they came like that....
    I admit it, 2 me that seems a sad attempt at trying to lighten a fork, so be it i may be wrong and you may flame the hell outta me, but it really ticks me off to see companies do things like that to save about 20grams and yet they may be compromising the long term durability of the fork, its my opinion and you anit gonna change it

Flame if you wish
    If those forks had a history of cracking around those holes, that would be one thing. They don't. I'm going to go ahead and say Marzocchi's engineers have a better idea of what's going on with that fork than you do based on looking at a picture of one on the internet.

err, 27.5+
    Cobba nailed it. Looks like 100mm, that vintage Marzocchis would have the dust wipers moving all the way to the crown at bottom out. Not bad forks for trail riding, but SSV was a bit jarring for high speed or longer descents since it would spike if you got the lowers moving too fast.
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    that's the stupidest idea this side of pinkbike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardtails Are Better
    If those forks had a history of cracking around those holes, that would be one thing. They don't. I'm going to go ahead and say Marzocchi's engineers have a better idea of what's going on with that fork than you do based on looking at a picture of one on the internet.
    Agreed, well at least i hope they do have a better idea...

now if they can just sort out there manufacturing and QC systems out ..

Members who have read this thread: 0