Marzocchi All Mountain SL set-up advice?- Mtbr.com
    beautiful noise...

Marzocchi All Mountain SL set-up advice?

Just got a new Marzocchi All Mountain SL and I'm looking for set-up advice, tips, etc... I understand the functions of this fork and its various air chambers. What I'm having difficulty with is the relation of these four chambers to each other and the counter-effect that individual adjustments have. I'm also unsure as to which TST setting should be used when I'm making adjustments to the fork.

I weigh about 175-180lbs, closer to 185-190 w/gear. I currently have it set up with the minimum pressures for my weight class as per the manual. I'm running somewhere around 100psi in the negative chamber. This one is tough as I get a lot of "blow-off" every time I unscrew the darn adapter. PAR is approx 15psi. I've been making all adjustments so far using the "AM" setting. The fork seems a little too soft, a little too progressive towards the end, and I'd like a little more travel.

Fire away!!!

PS: I've searched like a man possesed for days on end now and I've come to the conclusion that the search function does not like me. I was able to trick it a few times, but to no avail...

out yo-

aka greyranger

advice I got

from Zoke. Get your sag set with the positive chambers equally on both sides. Once you get that number go 3 times that for the negative chamber. Set your rebound as you like and the PAR for bottom out how you like. remember that the negative chamber sets the travel adjust. the more the pressure the less the travel. Good luck

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    By the time the oring on the pump adaptor is clear of the top cap, the valve core is closed. The excaping pressure you here is from the pump adaptor back to the pump. When you reattatch the pump to the fork, you will get a reading that is lower than it was before attatchment as the fork air rushes into the pump hose. Here is a helpful link.
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=122226

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton

Par

I got the same info from Marzocchi as RR. It helped a lot because the manual is weak.

Also try this: The PAR on my Marathon SL had a pretty dramatic effect on progressiveness. Super plush until about 2/3 of the way through the travel and then it got very progressive. Granted, The AM is a slightly different fork and I weigh less than you do, but with 20psi I wasn't able to use that last 20% of travel much. Try backing it off to 10psi or less.

JMH

Quote Originally Posted by redranger
    from Zoke. Get your sag set with the positive chambers equally on both sides. Once you get that number go 3 times that for the negative chamber. Set your rebound as you like and the PAR for bottom out how you like. remember that the negative chamber sets the travel adjust. the more the pressure the less the travel. Good luck
    Last edited by JMH; 10-06-2005 at 04:53 PM.

Time is not a road.
    Just a basic question about the SL: Does it have the lock down function that's similar to ETA? It used to be ECC5 when first introduced and has since changed to TST (I think). Can you lock down the fork to increase the HA for climbing, but without the 30mm of cushion as with ETA?

aka greyranger

lock down

no it does not, the fork length stays the same in any of the 5 tst settings. The lock out keeps the fork all the way up. you can change the travel but you must add air to the negative chamber to lower the fork.

Nov 2005

Upset

Quote Originally Posted by 1niceride
    By the time the oring on the pump adaptor is clear of the top cap, the valve core is closed. The excaping pressure you here is from the pump adaptor back to the pump. When you reattatch the pump to the fork, you will get a reading that is lower than it was before attatchment as the fork air rushes into the pump hose. Here is a helpful link.
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=122226
    Right for all the others air chambers but for the negative one every time i unscrew the bloody adaptor i m lossing between 20 to 40 psi if i put 200 WHEN I PLUH THE ADAPTOR AGAIN THERE IS ONLY 150 LEFT

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by EMMANUEL15
    Right for all the others air chambers but for the negative one every time i unscrew the bloody adaptor i m lossing between 20 to 40 psi if i put 200 WHEN I PLUH THE ADAPTOR AGAIN THERE IS ONLY 150 LEFT
    When you screw in the pump, air rushes into the pump and hose, lowering the pressure. The low volume in the negative chamber exacerbates this. The air you hear when removing the pump is not from the neg. chamber, but from the pump hose. The core is already closed, keeping the read pressure in the chamber. Make sure you have the oring on the pump adapter.

Members who have read this thread: 0