Marzocchi all mountain sl 150mm- Mtbr.com

Nov 2005

Marzocchi all mountain sl 150mm

Hello if you have one or ever tryed one can you tell me more about how it works

Thanks

Phil from San Diego
    I bought one couple weeks ago but decided to return it and going with a different fork. Not that it isn't any good but because I wanted a thru-axle fork.

The travel on the All Mountain SL 130-150mm is adjustable through their Doppio air chamber with a shock pump. More air shortens the travel. the fork also have adjustments for positive and negative air pressures for preload/damping. There is a knob for 5 click TST setting(equivalent to rebound adjustment).

The issue that confused me was the amount of travel the fork really had. With no air in the Doppio chamber, the fork should have 150mm of travel.. but unless the fork uses the ENTIRE length of the stansion when bottomed out.. it's going to have less then 150mm of travel because the stansion measured 150mm.

This is the same for the new Marzocchi Z1 FR 3 150mm fork I bought where the stansion also measured 150mm. And that's the same when I compared the stansion to a Marzocchi 66 VF fork in the shop... So I'm wondering if for Marzocchi, do they call their forks 105mm, 120mm, 150mm, 170mm etc referring to the lengths of the fork stansion but not the actual travel?

But anyways, the All Mountain SL is very light and would have worked for me but I decided to go with a stronger frame/build.

Hope that helped.

Phil.

Penny's my cow-cat

Am1

I just measured my Stanchion length on my 2006 AM1 and got 160mm. Are you sure you're not refering to Manitou Forks?
    Penny has the fastest Paw in the west!

Phil from San Diego
    Yeah, Marzocchi. The AM SL 130-150 is labeled as such.. but I'm wondering if it only has 130mm of travel.. same with my Z1 FR 3 sold as a 150mm fork but on Marzocchi's web site, it's only listed as 130mm... but that doesn't explain why the Marzocchi 66 VF's stansion is only 150mm also (there isn't a 130mm 66 VF as far as I know.)

Going to bring my measuring tape and hit a couple of bike shops next few days!

Phil.

aka greyranger

am sl

The 130-150 version was released in the US as an OEM only fork. There are some out there now that are being some by some e-tailers. The 110-130 version was out as an aftermarket.

Phil from San Diego
    The Supergo store (now Performance) here in San Diego has both versions of the AM SL. Both are sold as new in box forks and not OEM. If I remember right, the 110-130 version has external travel adjuster while the 130-150 is adjustable via Doppio air chamber using fork pump.

Phil.

aka greyranger

travel adjust

Quote Originally Posted by Prexus2005
    The Supergo store (now Performance) here in San Diego has both versions of the AM SL. Both are sold as new in box forks and not OEM. If I remember right, the 110-130 version has external travel adjuster while the 130-150 is adjustable via Doppio air chamber using fork pump.

Phil.
    The 110-130 am sl travel is adjusted through the negative chamber as well.

Nov 2005
    I bought one couple weeks ago but decided to return it and going with a different fork. Not that it isn't any good but because I wanted a thru-axle fork.

The travel on the All Mountain SL 130-150mm is adjustable through their Doppio air chamber with a shock pump. More air shortens the travel. the fork also have adjustments for positive and negative air pressures for preload/damping. There is a knob for 5 click TST setting(equivalent to rebound adjustment).

The issue that confused me was the amount of travel the fork really had. With no air in the Doppio chamber, the fork should have 150mm of travel.. but unless the fork uses the ENTIRE length of the stansion when bottomed out.. it's going to have less then 150mm of travel because the stansion measured 150mm.

This is the same for the new Marzocchi Z1 FR 3 150mm fork I bought where the stansion also measured 150mm. And that's the same when I compared the stansion to a Marzocchi 66 VF fork in the shop... So I'm wondering if for Marzocchi, do they call their forks 105mm, 120mm, 150mm, 170mm etc referring to the lengths of the fork stansion but not the actual travel?

But anyways, the All Mountain SL is very light and would have worked for me but I decided to go with a stronger frame/build.

Hope that helped.

Phil.
    No actually if you have less thane 80 psi in the negative chamber the stantion are 160mm long and you can have the full 150mm travel

Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by EMMANUEL15
    No actually if you have less thane 80 psi in the negative chamber the stantion are 160mm long and you can have the full 150mm travel
    I own a Marzocchi 66 vf 05 model the stanchion is 170 mm it sags a litle mking it 160 mm put some air in the negative and it will go up to 170 mm but we want some negative travell dont we! cause not all bumps are positive,ie up, some are negative, ie down pot holes etc dooh!

Phil from San Diego
    I'm pretty sure you can't get 160mm measurement in stansion for a 150mm marzocchi fork from my conversation with marzocchi yesterday.

For the 66vf, you must have a 170mm fork and not 150mm.

Phil.

Nov 2005
    I'm pretty sure you can't get 160mm measurement in stansion for a 150mm marzocchi fork from my conversation with marzocchi yesterday.

Phil.
    Really sorru to contradcit you Phil but like i sais if i only put 80 psi in the negative chamber to the top of the stantion to the seal i have 160mm and my fork is an allmountain sl 05
    But if you havr to see it to beleive it i can send you a digital pictures of it

best regards

Nov 2005

Phil.
    Really sorry to contradcit you Phil but like i said if i only put 80 psi in the negative chamber from the top of the stantion to the seal i have 160mm and my fork is an allmountain sl 05
    But if you have to see it to beleive it i can send you a digital pictures of it

best regards

Phil from San Diego
    Just telling ya what I was told by Marzocchi and what I found on the forks I've played with. *shrug*

Phil.

Members who have read this thread: 0