Marzocchi 66 bent steer tube- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Marzocchi 66 bent steer tube

Have any of you guys herd anything about the steer tube on the 05 Marzocchi 66 forks? I just got one and had it on two rides before the steer tube was slightly bent.

I hadn't even hit anything big enough to justify bending it. Never cased anything. I hit a fiew 6ft drops to tranny and the rest was just playing around town. Nothing to flat etc... I had a 2003.5 Marzocchi Z-150 that I did much larger stuff on than my only 2 rides with this thing and had no problem. If I'm thinking correct they both used the same steer tube also?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ctrailfreak
    Have any of you guys herd anything about the steer tube on the 05 Marzocchi 66 forks? I just got one and had it on two rides before the steer tube was slightly bent.

I hadn't even hit anything big enough to justify bending it. Never cased anything. I hit a fiew 6ft drops to tranny and the rest was just playing around town. Nothing to flat etc... I had a 2003.5 Marzocchi Z-150 that I did much larger stuff on than my only 2 rides with this thing and had no problem. If I'm thinking correct they both used the same steer tube also?
    I have seen both the Z150 and 66 steer tubes bend / break. Marzocchi says this falls under abuse and will not warranty it- sorry
    When the one-point-five first came out, I thought this was another marketing gimmick the industry doesn't need. But after seeing 1 1/8" steel steering tubes bend/break, and single crown forks with 6-7" of travel, this new "standard" is starting to make even more sense (strength wise for the ST and HT) for big hit bikes.

Jun 2003

Well said.

Quote Originally Posted by cort
    I have seen both the Z150 and 66 steer tubes bend / break. Marzocchi says this falls under abuse and will not warranty it- sorry
    When the one-point-five first came out, I thought this was another marketing gimmick the industry doesn't need. But after seeing 1 1/8" steel steering tubes bend/break, and single crown forks with 6-7" of travel, this new "standard" is starting to make even more sense (strength wise for the ST and HT) for big hit bikes.

I have been thinking the same thing.

As far as the bent steer goes, who did the install? What headset was used?

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by damion
    I have been thinking the same thing.

As far as the bent steer goes, who did the install? What headset was used?
    FSA Pig DH headset. And it was not a install error. The fork was put on by my friend at the local shop.

Jun 2003

No sweat.

FSA Pig DH headset. And it was not a install error. The fork was put on by my friend at the local shop.
    I am just trying to eliminate the variables.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Marzocchi did warranty it. I'll have it on Thursday. The only thing I had to pay was shipping to them and they picked up the shipping back to me.They put the new style steer tube in it from the 06 forks. Not steel anymore but a double thick alloy freeride steer tube new for 06. They said this should be the last time they ever see it for a steer tube problem.

TNC
    noMAD man
    Am I wrong in thinking that until a steel steerer gets fairly thick, it may be more capable of bending (not so much breaking) as compared to a substantially thick aluminum alloy steerer? Just a thought concerning the flexibility and maleability of steel as opposed to the stiffness of aluminum.

mtbr member
    Marzocchi did warranty it. I'll have it on Thursday. The only thing I had to pay was shipping to them and they picked up the shipping back to me.They put the new style steer tube in it from the 06 forks. Not steel anymore but a double thick alloy freeride steer tube new for 06. They said this should be the last time they ever see it for a steer tube problem.
    Wow, awsome man!
    Did you go through Marz directly?
    For warranty claims up in Canada we have to go through Norco Products. I think they are a little more strict we it comes to these issues (being a supplier and all). However, we did recently get a Marz Canada in Vancouver late this summer. If I see another bent/broken steerer, I might try them instead.
    Glad it worked out for ya!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Wow, awsome man!
    Did you go through Marz directly?
    For warranty claims up in Canada we have to go through Norco Products. I think they are a little more strict we it comes to these issues (being a supplier and all). However, we did recently get a Marz Canada in Vancouver late this summer. If I see another bent/broken steerer, I might try them instead.
    Glad it worked out for ya!
    Ya... I went thru Marzocchi and they hooked me up. Under normal circumstances they do not warranty steer tube. But gave me the benefit of the doubt since my fork was brand new. Not a scratch on it and I didn't go off about it not being coverd, but instead asked politely if they could take care of it, because I thought it was just a bad steer and assured them the fork had not been abused.

They got the fork in and out in the same day! Hows that for customer service.
    Marzocchi Tech Service is Killer and in my eyes one of the best in the business.

Members who have read this thread: 0