Marz. Roco or Push'd Vanilla R - Haro X2- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Marz. Roco or Push'd Vanilla R - Haro X2

Hi there,

Bike set-up:
    '04 Haro X2 (single pivot), size small, used as an all-around bike. Not a big hucker/jumper but like aggressive trail riding & would like to hit Diablo in Jersey sometime in the near future. Rider weight is about 225~230 w/ gear.

I have an opportunity to pick up a Roco fairly cheap or there's the option to get the stock Vanilla R Push'd for about approx. $70 less. Which in your opinion would be the better option?

I don't think the Roco has platform dampening like the Vanilla but have seen mixed reviews after dialing in the settings. Some say there's no noticeable 'bob', but I haven't seen any reviews using a single-pivot frame.

I just don't want to take a step backwards in performance.

Thx,

Mark

TNC
    noMAD man
    I think you're right to be concerned about possible bob with no platform. I have a Haro Werx, basically same frame as yours, and we sell Haro at the shop. The X bikes with shocks that don't have a platform are quite active...maybe to much so. They're not horrible, but it's there and it's noticeable. Mine has a Manitou 4-Way Air which has a stable platform. The bike works great...still very comfortable while being extremely efficient. A stable platform shock on most of these simple single pivot bikes with long travel makes a big difference.

I did get to ride an X bike with a PUSH'd Vanilla R, and it was very impressive, but also very active. Some preference issues will come into play here, but if you have to climb much or ride for longer distances, that extra activity on this bike will probably be a factor. I think the Roco is probably a good choice for a more efficient suspension design like VPP, DW, Maestro, etc., but all reports I've heard so far indicate that it's very active.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Thanks for the informative reply as always TNC.

I'm terrible at climbing as it is (trying though) & don't want to suffer any more than I currently am. I think the platform dampening will be necessary for my situation & bike.

Im not in a rush to upgrade the rear shock (not until my hardtail is built first), just saw the opportunity & thought I'd ask. You mentioned you have a 4-way air, which would be a better option for a hefty rider like myself...air or coil in the back?

Thanks again,

Mark

Freshly Fujified

Push the Vanilla

If you get the factory tuning, the Vanilla will then have platform damping. Furthermore the PUSH'd product will be customized to your weight, riding style, and the frame you put it on. The only advantage I would give to the ROCO is if you were doing almost exclusive extremely aggressive riding. If this is the case, then go with the ROCO.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

TNC
    noMAD man

X bikes

Quote Originally Posted by kramonut
    Thanks for the informative reply as always TNC.

I'm terrible at climbing as it is (trying though) & don't want to suffer any more than I currently am. I think the platform dampening will be necessary for my situation & bike.

Im not in a rush to upgrade the rear shock (not until my hardtail is built first), just saw the opportunity & thought I'd ask. You mentioned you have a 4-way air, which would be a better option for a hefty rider like myself...air or coil in the back?

Thanks again,

Mark
    These model Haros have a fairly high leverage ratio of 3:1 and shock position gives them a teeny bit of a rising rate IMO. The 7.875 X 2.0 4-Way Air on mine produces a very efficient ride but still decently plush. It does well on big hits too. I would only use a piggyback air shock on this bike because of its design...not a "straight can" model. I think the extra volume in the body gives a better ride. This design works very well with a coil shock too. A Manitou 4-Way coil would be a good choice too. However, I think the 4-Way Air would be more than capable of giving you what you want on yours. The bottomout control on the 4-Way and higher models is a big plus IMO.

mtbr member
    Ive got no experience with the Roco, but I have PUSHed my 04VanillaR. Mine´s on a Kona Coiler 04. Which in effect is a single-pivot bike. Prior to PUSHing, my main issues was the, lack of predictability of how the shock would perform on medium hits. I had no bob, and big hits were ok. Medium, seemed a gamble every time, wether the platform vould open or stay shut, kicking my seat up my rear...
    Now its all good, stil no bob, and the shoc feels nice and plush on all sized hits, even at slow speeds.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    My only advice is listen to TNC. He is right on. I have a pushed Vanilla R on a high leverage ratio bike and TNC speaks the truth. Damn smart man he is...

Members who have read this thread: 0