Manitou's IT (Infinite Travel): Great or Junk??!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Manitou's IT (Infinite Travel): Great or Junk??!

I'm looking to upgrade my current fork on my Liquid 10 which has a 'Rockshox Psylo C 80-125 U-turn'.

This Manitou Black Platinum Air 120 IT Fork '05 Red Shock has tons of features I want but from reading feedback reviews on this site the IT function of Manitou shocks is not very reliable and rather troublesome.

The IT feature is the main reason I'm thinking about this shock. Anyone have any feedback on this shock?
    Is it plush through whole travel or harsh on the end?

Also, does the IT feature work well on the fly? The reveiws don't bode well it seems.

Say for example; can you, on the fly going 15mph on an average trail, quickly and easily lower the fork to 1/2 travel with absolutely no fuss? Or do you have to slow down and really pay attention to what you're doing when you change travel height?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    i would'nt trust anything from manitou..

Bad Hand In Life
    If you're riding and want to switch the travel, it can be done. But, it works on a rachet type system, at least my elite does and my Sherman. So, you'd have to turn the nob and compress the fork to lower it into its lower setting. I disconnected the system on my Sherman when I installed a new spring because I just don't trust such a system as that, especially if someone tryed to use my bike in the lower travel setting while jumping. The Air model could be different, though.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    IFELL, I believe you are confusing Infinite Travel with Rapid Travel Wind Down. I'm interested in hearing about how IT works on the fly. RTWD I already know how that works sort of from my U Turn shock, its a annoying and not convenient.

Full Monty Bike Bore
    Nov 2004

What no ratchet

I'm running a Nixon Super (IT / TPC) and adjusting the travel is really easy and achieved without stopping. Simply depress the handlebar mounted "spoon", fork lowers, release at
    desired level. RTWD uses a ratchet system and is coil but the Super (air) IT's system is smooth and v.quick in operation.

A wheelie (takes practice to depress the spoon whilst airborne) or stopping to unload the front of the bike will see the fork extend back if you again depress the spoon.

There are a couple of problems that I don't particularly like; a) it's not easy to lower the fork by a small amount or even a set amount each time b) lowering the fork lowers my bb so much that I clout rocks with the pedals.

I originally rode a Marin TARA which continually reared up at the front on steep climbs so when I switched to my current ride (Turner 5Spot) I opt'd for a fork that'd help me lower the front. However, I've found that the 5Spot climbs so well that I don't really use the travel adjust unless an exception sections appears.

If your bike has a light front and a longer stem, straight seatpost or different climbing technique hasn't helped then IT may well be for you.

The reviews all seem to come from the Nixon Platinum with the SPV (stable platform valving) although mine has to be repaired initially but has been fine since Raw (UK importer) worked it's magic. I've also heard problems with factory tolerances during assembly but during a specific rebuild they probably take more care during assembly.

Overall, I'm impressed with the Super and find the small bump sensitivity is excellent (better than my Pace RC41) and although it ramps up near full compression it's not horrible. I've probably yet to find the optimum rebound / compression combo.

If you can acquire one on a "closeout" deal with full warrantly then I'd personally take it.

Keeps us posted on how you get on.
    Knobblies MTBing Blog

"Always carry a flagon of whisky in case of a snakebite, furthermore, always carry a snake" W.C.Fields

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Wow, sounds like a great, solid fork assuming you don't get a early production lemon one. The IT function on a remote cable really seems like the cat's meow. I have an XL frame and notice a large difference in climbing ability when I set my current fork to 80mm as oppose to 125mm; but I need that 125mm on almost all my downhills cause the trails I usually ride are full of rock gardens.

Thanks for the reply, Farqui.

otb club member
    Quote Originally Posted by Farqui
    I'm running a Nixon Super (IT / TPC) and adjusting the travel is really easy and achieved without stopping. Simply depress the handlebar mounted "spoon", fork lowers, release at
    desired level. RTWD uses a ratchet system and is coil but the Super (air) IT's system is smooth and v.quick in operation.
    Just for clarity there are three Manitou systems for travel adjust:

Rapid Travel II: This is the only one that uses the "ratchet" method that requires compressing the fork to "catch" the lower travel setting. It also preloads the spring, making the shorter travel very harsh. Has only only two travel positions (varies according to model), for example, 120 and 100, nothing in between. Not an "on the fly" adjustment.

Rapid Travel Wind Down (RTWD): This has a knob that "screws" down or up and provides a range of travel (i.e. 90 to 120, with everything in between). Spring rate changes, so you are not just preloading the spring. Makes for good ride characteristics at all settings. Not an "on the fly" adjustment.

Infinite Travel (IT): On the fly (with practice/technique as others have already mentioned) travel adjustment, full range of fork, everything in between. Use of handlebar mounted lever allows air to move between positive and negative chambers, changing the ride height. Also affects spring rate so that in theory you have a suitable amount of travel and progression for whatever setting you are in. The originally released IT forks had many problems. Most of this was due to assemblers damaging an internal seal when they slammed a sharp edged tube into another part of the IT assembly. Internal alignment issues also supposedly played a part in some of the problems. Manitou tapered the formerly sharp tube end to prevent damage during assembly and also made several other changes for 2006 as far as seal materials and piston design for the IT. They are very confident in the changes. I don't know if all the changes for 06 are retrofittable to the older ones, but Manitou has a very helpful customer service department (they will return calls and will give you straight answers).
    Last edited by Chris2fur; 10-18-2005 at 12:14 AM. Reason: Forgot some details.

SLX
    mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Wow this is some great information, Thank you
    I was considering purchasing a manti fork like the minute series and this has helped alot.
    I think im going to dish out a few more bucks for the IT feature.

Also I was just wondering how does IT compare with Talas? I was considering fox but they would cost 2x as much as manti.

Full Monty Bike Bore
    Nov 2004

Talas vs IT

Quote Originally Posted by SLX
    Also I was just wondering how does IT compare with Talas?
    IT is quick and allows infinite adjustment whereas Talas requires a fiddly, repeated turn of a nob adjusting travel in 3mm increments per click.

IMO, IT is a trail useable feature and Talas is more of a set once option, perhaps at the start of a ride or when you really, really need it.

However for '06, Talas alters from 3mm increments to a much more useable on the fly adjustment of 20mm changes - see pic.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Knobblies MTBing Blog

"Always carry a flagon of whisky in case of a snakebite, furthermore, always carry a snake" W.C.Fields

Jun 2005
    IT is quick and allows infinite adjustment whereas Talas requires a fiddly, repeated turn of a nob adjusting travel in 3mm increments per click.

IMO, IT is a trail useable feature and Talas is more of a set once option, perhaps at the start of a ride or when you really, really need it.

However for '06, Talas alters from 3mm increments to a much more useable on the fly adjustment of 20mm changes - see pic.
    Lazy, pure lazy.

TALAS is a pain to adjust? HA!

It takes 3 seconds to drop the fork down on a TALAS.

The problem with IT is that first of all, if it gives out (which is likely) in a bad situation you can get seriously hurt because the IT will collapse to near zero travel.

Another problem is that it's a PAIN IN THE ASS to get a perfect setting with IT, the stanchion has no gradient and there is no way to tell how much travel it's set at.

IT may seem cool on paper, but it really doesn't work well in real world riding. TALAS and Uturn are proven systems that work and let you know your travel setting.

Is it really worth a plethora of problems for a lame gimic that doesn't really save more than several seconds when changing travel. IMO it's not worth even a .00001% chance of having my fork collapse and put my face into a tree.

Full Monty Bike Bore
    Nov 2004

Ladeeze...hangbags

Enjoy your TALAS acquired RSI
    Knobblies MTBing Blog

otb club member
    Definite improvement for 06. Yes, quicker. Yes, more useable. No, not "on the fly." Crown mounted levers are not for "on the fly" adjustment. Personally, I don't think it's a big deal to have to stop and flip a lever, and if you happen to be on a very smooth, straight section of trail, you can adjust the lever while riding. However, in technical terrain, it's not "on the fly" if you have to take your hand off the bar, look down at the fork, and reach for the lever. You could be off the trail by the time you've flipped the lever.

STS
    mtbr member
    I switched my old Talas for the Nixon Platinum for that reason, managing the Talas knob wile riding was really dangerous
    And Now I'm really hapy with the IT
    You don't know the travel you set (except the tallest an lowest), but just acomodate it to your needs in question of 1/2 second
    I use the IT more than 100 times in a ride, and that is impossible with the Talas knob

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    One would think Fox should come out with a TALAS remote control cable.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Robot Chicken
    Lazy, pure lazy.

TALAS is a pain to adjust? HA!

It takes 3 seconds to drop the fork down on a TALAS.

The problem with IT is that first of all, if it gives out (which is likely) in a bad situation you can get seriously hurt because the IT will collapse to near zero travel.

Another problem is that it's a PAIN IN THE ASS to get a perfect setting with IT, the stanchion has no gradient and there is no way to tell how much travel it's set at.

IT may seem cool on paper, but it really doesn't work well in real world riding. TALAS and Uturn are proven systems that work and let you know your travel setting.

Is it really worth a plethora of problems for a lame gimic that doesn't really save more than several seconds when changing travel. IMO it's not worth even a .00001% chance of having my fork collapse and put my face into a tree.
    Except, there are some times when it would be nice to change travel by remote. I seem to dial my U-turn up and down a lot on shorter, steeper hills, and it a remote would be nice. I've been thinking of getting a Minute 3, and hoping they get the kinks ironed out, in warranty at the worst.

SLX
    mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Destroy
    One would think Fox should come out with a TALAS remote control cable.
    hehe, yea you can see the biz moto for fox, they keep there line of products small and simple and product features easy to understand. When you say Talas, you know what Talas is.

in contrast manitou, with a plethora of features, its confusing. Take a look at the 2005 minute forks. minute 1:00 coil spring RWTD, minute 2:00 air shock fixed, minute 3:00 air with IT. Not only that they have about 16 different series of forks from axel nixon all with variations. Funny thing is you could have the same name fork on the trail as some other guy but they could be very unlike.

Not saying one biz moto is better than the other.

mtbr member
    It is the Sh"IT"

I have a Nixon Platinum and the IT works great. My 5.5 climbs great but when you really hit he steep stuff, it's nice to drop the front end down & motor on up. I have the new version & so far so good.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Update:

The Manitou Black Platinum that I ordered for $350 came in yesterday. Got them installed on my bike today and did a quick test ride during work lunch hour through some ditches near work.

VERY cool. IT works fanstastic. Push the lever and in 1/2 sec. they drop down to bottom and stay there with about 1 inch of travel. Lift up a little and hit lever at same time and right back up to 5 inches. Also, lockout is solid as a rock. Both dampening knobs are easy to use and adjust well. The fork did have a fair bit of sticktion compared to the Rockshox Psylo I just remove but I assume that is due to it being new and not fully broken in.

This fork is really going to give me some serious climbing ability.

Will report back after I hit some real rock garden trails and such.
    Last edited by Destroy; 10-21-2005 at 07:32 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Update2:

Just got back from my usual trail ride doing 8 miles or so on some rooty and rocky stuff. Trail was softer than normal due to the heavy layer of leaves on the trail but still plenty bumpy to get a feel.

So I get to the trail, unload and look over the bike before heading out. I sit on the bike to do a few circles in the parking lot and 'squish', my new front fork decides to completely lower all by itself acting like the remote lever was stuck on. WTF??!!

First thing I though of was all the *****y posts I read in the review section of the Nixon having saging/oring issues exactly like I was just experiencing.

So I bounce it a few times. Hit the remote lever several times. Nothin'. Every time I push down on the front end it would totally collapse down. [email protected]@$%$^^&[email protected]#!! fork.!!!!

Well, I drove all the way out here and decided to make the best of it and ride anyway with my new whooping 1 inch travel front fork. After about 1/2 mile I stop and try the remote lever again. Boing - now it was staying at proper max length. Good. Now we're getting somewhere.

The shock did work 80% properly for the rest of my ride. I say 80% because often I'd stop and hit the remote button and the shock would raise another 1 inch or so. Seemed like the shock would drop in travel as I rode. <sigh>

Looks like I may be victom of the nasty oring issue. I'll give the bike a few more rides and see but if it keeps slowly sagging or not working, its off the warranty department.

Btw, when the fork worked I liked it a lot. Smooth, supple, solid action as good as my Psylo before it. Still has some minor stiction but I'm hoping that will get better. Really like the IT feature. Helps HUGE on climbs but it has a bit of a drawback in that ground clearance is very low but that was to be expected I guess.

STS
    mtbr member
    If you have problems with the IT going down or up by itself, then you have one of the defective Q-rings
    You can order them very cheap in any bearings store
    And they can be changed very easy and fast following the Manitou service manual
    the sizes of the 3 Q-rings are:
    small: 6,07 x 1,78
    medium: 2,62 x 12,8
    big: 20,30 x 2,62

Aply fork grease (I used vaseline, as it is the most neutral for rings material) all around them, and in the lower threads of the interior of the leg (as you have to introduce the IT piston with the new Q-rings, and they can retain the grease aplied to the Q-rings)

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    IT works but it'd be nice if Manitou would ever do something original themselves instead of always stealing ideas from other fork and suspension companies. IT is itself ripped off from SR-Suntour which introduced a basically identical damper travel adjustment system THREE years ago. Theirs works with either coil or air sprung forks though.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

STS
    mtbr member
    Are you sure it's the same system?
    Or you are only talking about the idea of changing travel from the handlebar

Because if you refer to de second one, then there are thousand of new good ideas that all brands copies from other brands, and makes the general evolution all we can enjoy

I like to ride my bike.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Destroy
    Update:

The Manitou Black Platinum that I ordered for $350 came in yesterday. Got them installed on my bike today and did a quick test ride during work lunch hour through some ditches near work.

VERY cool. IT works fanstastic. Push the lever and in 1/2 sec. they drop down to bottom and stay there with about 1 inch of travel. Lift up a little and hit lever at same time and right back up to 5 inches. Also, lockout is solid as a rock. Both dampening knobs are easy to use and adjust well. The fork did have a fair bit of sticktion compared to the Rockshox Psylo I just remove but I assume that is due to it being new and not fully broken in.

This fork is really going to give me some serious climbing ability.

Will report back after I hit some real rock garden trails and such.
    Hi, I was looking to buy this fork for 350 somewhere (forget where), anyway, you seem to be the only person on mtbr.com who has a Black platnium IT, so a few questions...
    If you set the fork to 1 inch of travel, or anywhere in it's travel can you lock it out and have it stay in that amount of travel, or does it bounce back to 120mm, then lockout??? I have a 04 Black elite with spv which $u*ks, mine is flexy. How do the 30mm stanchions on the platnium hold up? Thanks. I'm on a tight budget so I don't want to waste money.
    I like bicycles. Bicycles make me happy. Riding them makes me even happier.
    Scott Bicycles
    Maxxis Tires
    Team Blog

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yes, you can lockout at 5 inches or 1 inch and it stays in either position till you unlock. Plus when you lock out at 1 inch, you can hit the IT remote lever and it will raise to the 5 inch length and stay at that heigth locked out also.

Based on my one 7 mile ride at night in 42 degree temps, I know I can tell you that it is definitely less flexy than my Rockshox Psylo C. I had a lot easier time navigating some tight slow turns that normally felt a bit wobbly with my Psylo. Soaked up bumps as nice or better than my old Psylo. I like it a lot except for my IT issues in my post above which I should be able to sort out after a few more rides.

Btw, check out online, I forget which place though (?). I'm a bit ticked cause they put my exact shock on sale 2 days after receiving mine from bicyclebuys.com and at a dirt cheap price, $280!!!!

Edit: Hmm...seems the sale is no longer. I'm pretty sure it was performancebike.com that had the awesome sale but there web site shows a high price now.
    Last edited by Destroy; 10-27-2005 at 09:03 PM.

STS
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathaniel Williams
    Hi, I was looking to buy this fork for 350 somewhere (forget where), anyway, you seem to be the only person on mtbr.com who has a Black platnium IT, so a few questions...
    If you set the fork to 1 inch of travel, or anywhere in it's travel can you lock it out and have it stay in that amount of travel, or does it bounce back to 120mm, then lockout??? I have a 04 Black elite with spv which $u*ks, mine is flexy. How do the 30mm stanchions on the platnium hold up? Thanks. I'm on a tight budget so I don't want to waste money.
    just to clarify:
    - The Nixon Platinum uses 32mm stanchions
    - You can choose it in Black or Silver finish (mine is also Black)
    - The shortest travel is around 4cms (1.6")

And compared to my last Talas, the Nixon is more rigid

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Quote Originally Posted by STS
    Are you sure it's the same system?
    Or you are only talking about the idea of changing travel from the handlebar
    Yes I'm sure. You open the valve, weight the front end and reduces the travel anyplace between 60 and 120mm you want. Requires unloading the fork (stopping and getting off or doing a wheelie) to extend it again. Same as IT. Can be tripped manually (the valve is easy to reach at the top of the left leg) or remotely using a thumbshifter. Changing the travel has no effect on the spring rate either.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeEight
    Yes I'm sure. You open the valve, weight the front end and reduces the travel anyplace between 60 and 120mm you want. Requires unloading the fork (stopping and getting off or doing a wheelie) to extend it again. Same as IT. Can be tripped manually (the valve is easy to reach at the top of the left leg) or remotely using a thumbshifter. Changing the travel has no effect on the spring rate either.

Actually both Suntour and Manitou liscence it off another company. I forget their name but they have a goofy bike that you adjust both the front and rear with one button. They were at interbike this year. Either way, not well received with Suntour but they did not have the marketing machine that Manitou has.
    Last edited by Cheesefree; 01-24-2007 at 10:50 AM.

Time is not a road.

Three letters for ya...

E T A.

otb club member
    Quote Originally Posted by chad1433
    E T A.
    Three words for you: not the same . ETA is more like the Rapid Travel. It just reduces extension so the spring is preloaded in shorter travel positions. The IT gives quality travel in all positions because the spring rate changes accordingly.

Time is not a road.
    Sure, but for what he wants to do, IT isn't necessary. Plus...it's seems to be a bit finicky. Why deal with that?

otb club member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesefree
    Actually both Suntour and Manitou liscence it off another company. I forget their name but they have a goofy bike that you adjust both the front and rear with one button. They were at interbike this year. Either way, no one liked it with Suntour but they did not have the marketing machine that Manitou has.
    That would be Bionicon. They've got a couple of different bikes. They are very unusual, but I don't know about "goofy." This is their XC model. Like you said, both front and rear travel/geometry change at the push of a button while shifting body weight.

BTW, just want to second what Cheesefree said since an earlier poster accused Manitou of "ripping off" this idea. Manitou paid licensing fees for it. Bionicon has made most of it's money through marketing its innovation and is pushing its own bikes more aggressively now.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Chris2fur; 11-03-2005 at 12:28 PM.

otb club member
    Sure, but for what he wants to do, IT isn't necessary. Plus...it's seems to be a bit finicky. Why deal with that?
    Well, he did specifically ask about "on the fly" travel change, which for this discussion, crown-mounted levers were kinda ruled out. No question there were problems with the earlier IT forks, but the '06 IT is supposed to have addressed those issues. We'll have to wait and see. Anyway, it's a personal preferrence/riding style issue. I don't use IT myself, but just wanted to clarify that ETA is not an apples to apples comparison. It was hard to gather the entire meaning of your post with just three letters to go on...

STS
    mtbr member
    With the IT you can set the travel on the fly wherever you what
    With the ETA you only can drop full down

IT is set from the handlebar in 1/2 second
    ETA must be used in the fork, with the risk of geting one hand out of the handlebar

With IT set to minimun travel you still have 2" of usable travel, perfect for imposible ramps
    With ETA you are almost locked and will not climb so well, and if you are not able to turn it off for the next descent, imagine the consecuences...

STS
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris2fur
    the '06 IT is supposed to have addressed those issues. We'll have to wait and see...
    The best improvement to IT would be having two levers, one for reducing travel as it is now, and a new one to increase travel without moving your body weight or making a wheelie

But I see it very dificult...

Time is not a road.
    Quote Originally Posted by STS
    With the IT you can set the travel on the fly wherever you what
    With the ETA you only can drop full down

IT is set from the handlebar in 1/2 second
    ETA must be used in the fork, with the risk of geting one hand out of the handlebar

With IT set to minimun travel you still have 2" of usable travel, perfect for imposible ramps
    With ETA you are almost locked and will not climb so well, and if you are not able to turn it off for the next descent, imagine the consecuences...
    ETA locks where you want it to, not just full down. It's for climbing, so some anticipation is necessary, but it's not a that big of a deal. For '06, Marzocchi will have a bar mounted adjust (more clutter?). It offers 30mm of travel when activated. I've never forgot my ETA was on a descent, buy anything is possible.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I've been using a Minute 3:00 for a few months now. My X-5 is a fully competent climber even with 5" up front, however, I can pick my way up most anything after lowering my fork about half-way. The price for the fork is pretty ridiculous, but they can be found on sale ('05 models). Fully adjustable, perhaps a little soft ... but I havn't ramped up my compression damping - I'm sure I could make it much firmer.

Anyway, as far as the IT - I've had to fiddle with it a little bit, after 15-20 hours worth of riding, the cable stretched out pretty good and I lost some of the functionality (it took me a little bit of fiddling to figure out the cause). However, once I tightened the tension in the cable running up to the handlebars, I was back in action. I've had no problems with the IT working the way it is supposed to.

As far as the fork blowing up and the travel dropping down to nothing ... what air fork/shock doesn't have this as a possibility? IT has nothing to do with it.

I like to ride my bike.

Wink

Sorry to keep bothering you about this but, if I bought the 05 manitou black platnum, and if IT did not work (like what you're experiancing) do you think they'd replace it with the better 06 IT system under warrenty? Plus is the lockout compression, where you can adjust how hard of soft you want it, or is it 100% solid, no adjustability lockout. Thanks!
    I like bicycles. Bicycles make me happy. Riding them makes me even happier.
    Scott Bicycles
    Maxxis Tires
    Team Blog

Full Monty Bike Bore
    Nov 2004

Nixon bleeding thru travel...

I'm running a Nixon Super (IT / TPC)...
    Update: I recently re-fitted my Super and have been having a ball with it until the last couple of rides. It now gradually bleeds thru it's travel, getting shorter and shorter. It'll momentarily extend back just fine but then begins it's slow decent. Until I twigged what was going on, a normally easy log hop was rewarded with a swift endo - I wasn't expecting to be 100mm short of travel !

Anyhow, the UK importer are about to take her back and fit a revised IT assembly which appears to have resolved any IT issues. Which tallies with the new '06 assembly mentioned earlier, news to me btw. The service manual indicates it's a problem with the quad o-rings and I was fully expecting to replace them. Gawd bless you Raw Experience, you've saved the day again.

Meanwhile, I'll be refitting my trusty Pace RC41 and re-learning the slightly shorter travel and nimbler handling.
    Last edited by Farqui; 11-10-2005 at 07:37 AM.
    Knobblies MTBing Blog

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathaniel Williams
    Sorry to keep bothering you about this but, if I bought the 05 manitou black platnum, and if IT did not work (like what you're experiancing) do you think they'd replace it with the better 06 IT system under warrenty?
    Heck if I know but I'll find out near Jan. cause my brand new Platinum is bad and needs fixing.

Plus is the lockout compression, where you can adjust how hard of soft you want it, or is it 100% solid, no adjustability lockout. Thanks!
    The lockout is integrated with the compression dampening knob. At the end of the stiff setting the fork full locks out. There is no lockout over pressure setting adjustment, if that's what you are asking.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Follow up:

Just wanted to let anyone who cares know that over the winter I sent in my new fork to warranty. Great service. Returned to me in less than 2 weeks. Only thing I didn't care for is they returned shipped it in the box with zero padding; it had a few new rub marks on the paint from shipping.

All fixed and works perfectly fine now. Really like it for my normal route; comes in handy on the short steep climbs I have a lot of.

The Mud Stud
    Hey all, have a few questions. Some of you may have seen me in my own forum, but I wanted to get a few second opinions. I have a specialzed rockhopper with a manitou six fork I hate. I will be changing it next week, and still dont know which fork I want. I do trail riding mostly, with drops of about 2 feet from time to time. I was looking at a manitou minute 1 05 or a black platinum IT 05. I found the black going for 250 and the minute for 200. I tend to ride in hilly areas, so the inclination is varied. Which fork should I get, and I need to know fast! Thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Really depends on what features are more important to you in the riding you plan on doing. Main difference between two are SPV and remote IT.

Do you value better pedal effeciency or an easier bike to climb very steep hills?

To me and my riding, I see little worth in the Minute 1 unless I was to doing epic long rides most of the time. On epic rides I'd want the soft cush on bumps but maximize my energy to the ground most of the time.

If I want on demand effiecient pedaling on my Black Platinum IT, all I have to do is push a lever and drop the front down to near zero. Front fork isn't going to soak up hardly any energy when its got no travel. Get past the tough section, then raise it back up with another button press and continue onward.

Members who have read this thread: 0