Manitou Swinger 3-Way Air - semi lockout?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Manitou Swinger 3-Way Air - semi lockout?

Gang,
    I recently bumped into another rider who was asking about the Manitou Swinger 3-Way Air rear shock on my mountain bike. He said something along the lines of setting the right amount of pressure in each value creates a sort of lock out shock. If the right pressure it set, the shock can kind of lock out when riding uphill. Is this true? I did not receive a manual about the shock when I purchased the bike. Any thoughts on this?

cheers,
    Monte

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by montejr
    Gang,
    I recently bumped into another rider who was asking about the Manitou Swinger 3-Way Air rear shock on my mountain bike. He said something along the lines of setting the right amount of pressure in each value creates a sort of lock out shock. If the right pressure it set, the shock can kind of lock out when riding uphill. Is this true? I did not receive a manual about the shock when I purchased the bike. Any thoughts on this?

cheers,
    Monte
    I think he was refering to your SPV and Positve air adjustment
    Stable Platform Valve (SPV) is basically low speed compression dampening. You can adjust the threashold of the setting to your liking by adding our subtracting air. By adding more air pressure in the SPV the rear end becomes more efficient (no bobbing while pedaling) and is less sensitive to small impacts. And it works the other way, decreasing the SPV pressure, you are allowing the shock to be more active while pedaling (some bob) and to absorb smaller hits
    Manitou says do the following for setup:
    75 psi in SPV
    Set sag - 15-20%
    Set SPV and rebound to your preference
    Last edited by cort; 11-29-2005 at 10:44 PM.

Jun 2003

What Cort said.

Quote Originally Posted by cort
    Stable Platform Valve (SPV) is basically low speed compression dampening. You can adjust the threashold of the setting to your liking by adding our subtracting air. By adding more air pressure in the SPV the rear end becomes more efficient (no bobbing while pedaling) and is less sensitive to small impacts. And it works the other way, decreasing the SPV pressure, you are allowing the shock to be more active while pedaling (some bob) and to absorb smaller hits
    75 psi in SPV
    Set sag - 15-20%

That sounds like the right info for starters.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by cort
    75 psi in SPV
    Set sag - 15-20%
    Cort,
    Thank you for your response. If I could get a little more of your help, that would be great. I have questions about each of your answers.

1. 75 psi in SPV - is this the red or black valve?
    2. Set sag - 15-20% - what do you mean by this? I don't know how to set the sag.
    3. Set SPV and rebound to your preference - How do i go about doing this?

I know that these are stupid questions but I am very new to the full suspension thing. The bike did not come with a manual and the local shop didnt' really help me out in this area.

Thanks,
    M

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Check out answerproducts.com for model description and tech support.

Here is the owners manual for the Swinger line:

http://www.answerproducts.com/manual...7%3A36%3A42+AM

I throw poo
    Anwerproducts.com also has a "3 easy steps to seting up SPV" link in the home page.
    Dang it, now I'm running a coolness deficit for sure.

Members who have read this thread: 1