Manitou Splice help/advice?- Mtbr.com

Jul 2004

New question here. Manitou Splice help/advice?

Hey guys, I'm riding an 05 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc, outfitted with a Manitou Splice Comp fork with 4 inches of travel and adjustable preload. Problem is, I went for a ride at our local loop today, and for the last half of the ride (8 miles from the top of the ridge to the trailhead), the bike felt like it was riding on a jackhammer and pure rims. I'm 5'8", weigh 160lbs with gear, and ride pretty lightly, more flowing with the trail than letting the bike take over. My tires were running at 40psi, as low as I'm willing to put them, and I had the preload cranked as low as it would go, but nothing helped. By the time I hit the big downhill, the bike was jumping around like a bronco, so bad I thought of bailing on the fire road at 30mph. Do I need to try lighter springs, getting the fork serviced, or just trash it and buy a new one? I'm not so mechanical in the shock department.

thanks for any advice.
    Aron

Nov 2005
    I would think about getting it serviced. Im not to smart when it comes to shocks either, but i have the same fork and mine doesnt do that at all

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by hardrockmtn
    Hey guys, I'm riding an 05 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc, outfitted with a Manitou Splice Comp fork with 4 inches of travel and adjustable preload. Problem is, I went for a ride at our local loop today, and for the last half of the ride (8 miles from the top of the ridge to the trailhead), the bike felt like it was riding on a jackhammer and pure rims. I'm 5'8", weigh 160lbs with gear, and ride pretty lightly, more flowing with the trail than letting the bike take over. My tires were running at 40psi, as low as I'm willing to put them, and I had the preload cranked as low as it would go, but nothing helped. By the time I hit the big downhill, the bike was jumping around like a bronco, so bad I thought of bailing on the fire road at 30mph. Do I need to try lighter springs, getting the fork serviced, or just trash it and buy a new one? I'm not so mechanical in the shock department.

thanks for any advice.
    Aron
    I have a splice comp with 5 inches of travel. The ride was a little harsh,but not as harsh as you described. I weigh 170 lbs and ended up using an x-soft spring. I tried the soft spring and it was better, but I still did not get the proper amount of sag. I've used 3 other Manitou forks and the medium springs were a little too soft for me so I had to crank the preload up to make them a little stiffer. Manitou is not very consistant. Although I've owned a total of 5 Manitous - none of them have ever failed me - only minor set-up problems. Also check the oil level - it's usually not right - even from the factory.

Members who have read this thread: 1