• 02-28-2013
    Hardtail in Georgia
    Manitou R7 MRD locking out halfway through travel....How do I make it work again?
    I've got a Manitou R7 MRD with the adjustable platform and air spring that has suddenly started getting half of it's travel. Even if I let all the air out of the fork and have it fully open on the platform it still seems to be stopping right about 60mm through it's 100mm travel. For the first 60mm it works as normal but once you get to 60mm it's like the lockout is on and you can't push it past that if you tried. I'm comfortable taking it apart and rebuilding etc but I'm not sure what I need to do to fix it. Anybody have any ideas?

Tucker
  • 02-28-2013
    Aresab
    How old is the fork? It sounds as though the cartridge leaked damper oil into the legs (MRD has an internal cartridge if I recall). Once this happens, the fork cannot compress beyond a point s it runs into a brick wall with the oil in the leg as it compresses. It may continue to get worse and you may loose all damper action. I would bet a full rebuild with seals/O-rings will help get it back to normal. Rockshock had some bad o-rings in 08/09 that did the same thing.
  • 02-28-2013
    Hardtail in Georgia
    I think it's several years old. I got it used from a friend who just sent it off to Manitou every year to have them do the maintenance. I've been riding it for a year as of this month and I haven't done anything to it since I got it. I had planned on pulling it apart and changing the oil soon anyways, I just wasn't planning on this problem too! I figured it was something along those lines...Being pretty comfortable with working on my own forks is this something I can do myself or is it going to be a mandatory factory rebuild? I couldn't find much about it when I googled but I saw it suggested that pulling the damper cartridge out and putting back in might fix it?
  • 02-28-2013
    Hardtail in Georgia
    Would this Damper seal be the part I need to replace? OE SUSPENSION PARTS
  • 03-01-2013
    Aresab
    I don't believe the Enduro seal is what you need, the MRD is usually a cartridge damper. This differs from a non-MRD damper in that instead of the damper (oil/hardware/etc) in the leg, there is a self-contained cartridge, then spash ould to lubricate the tubes at the bottom (common to most Manitou). PricePoint has the R7 MRD rebuild kit, see below. In generally, Manitou forks are easy to work on, the MRD only slightly harder, but should still be easy. You most likely need an oil filter strap wrench and something soft to hold the cartridge (i.e. don't clamp that in a vice or vice grips). Go to Manitou MTB and download the manual, most of the time it's just replacing o-rings and oil. Also, be careful with the parts on the damper that don't typically come off unless provided in the kit, on my forks there were blue Teflon rings that help it slide smooth, once broken you may need a new part. Don't let that scare you, just wanted to point it out incase you went hog wild before matching each part up 1 for 1.The R7MRD is a great fork, if it's working for you it's worth a rebuild!

Manitou R7 MRD Rebuild Kit at Price Point
  • 03-01-2013
    Hardtail in Georgia
    Cool, thanks! Yeah, I've been liking it for the last year, it's pretty light and rides smooth. I figured it can't possibly be harder to rebuild than a Fox Talas....that was a pain! Yeah, I'll definitely take my time with it. So all I should need besides that kit is some 5 wt. oil and that's about it right?
  • 03-01-2013
    Aresab
    That should be all you need. Manitou uses Motorex oil if you can find it.
  • 03-01-2013
    Hardtail in Georgia
    Ok, thanks!