Manitou Minute SPV valve, working or not?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Manitou Minute SPV valve, working or not?

Last year, I replaced the fork oil in my '04 Minute 1, and while I was at it, I drilled a little hole in the white plastic cap on the damper rod to simulate the newer Evolve damper (learned that trick here on MTBR). I also took apart the blue SPV valve, re-greased it, and put it back together.

Later in the year I raced a brutal 24 hr, and midway thru the fork started topping out, just like if the SPV air pressure was too low.

So after my lap I checked the pressure, pressure was good, and I even added more to be sure, STILL topping out.

I assumed the SPV valve had collapsed, so just today I got around to taking it apart AGAIN, and the SPV valve is still pressurized and snaps back to position like the manual says it should!!

So what do I do?! Take the valve apart and put it back together (since it's in my hand now), or just put the whole fork back together and add MORE pressure to see if it works now?

Anybody run into this scenario?

mtbr member
    If you have an 04, you probably have an oring as the seal on the damper piston. That might have gone bad(worn). You should be able to find at a local hardware store. That happened to me in another black fork and was was a quick fix.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Care ful using oil soluable grease as it will mix with the oil and not work. I use pure silicone or molykote very expensive but awesome, it totally sounds as if you have a faulty spv valve , and in some regards the valve is staying open and should be closed.

Members who have read this thread: 0