Manitou Mezzer Long Travel fork spotted at Sea Otter- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Manitou Mezzer Long Travel fork spotted at Sea Otter

Scoop by BikeRumor: https://bikerumor.com/2019/04/15/spy...a-hubs-return/

Manitou Mezzer Long Travel fork spotted at Sea Otter-hayes-j-unit-junior-kids-mountain-bike-component-system-grips-brakes-brake-lever-a2-fork-wheels-.jpg

Manitou Mezzer Long Travel fork spotted at Sea Otter-hayes-j-unit-junior-kids-mountain-bike-component-system-grips-brakes-brake-lever-a2-fork-wheels-.jpg

Looks pretty cool. Must be getting close.
    Owner of www.shockcraft.co.nz and NZ Manitou Agent.
    www.dougal.co.nz Suspension setup & tuning.
    SPV Devolve

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dougal View Post

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hayes-J-Unit-junior-kids-mountain-bike-component-system-grips-brakes-brake-lever-A2-fork-wheels-.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	388.6 KB 
ID:	1247071

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hayes-J-Unit-junior-kids-mountain-bike-component-system-grips-brakes-brake-lever-A2-fork-wheels-.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	258.7 KB 
ID:	1247072

Indeed

mtbr member
    Very cool! *subbed

Short-Change-Hero
    Subb'd as well... Looks pretty much close to production ready so I will be holding off on buying a replacement for my YARI RC that is on the new bike. Hoping this comes in multiple offsets but if not, 51mm is what comes with my bike so no matter what it should be good.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019

Is that shock close too?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lachman View Post
    Is that shock close too?
    Well they've both been leaked together.............
    SPV Devolve

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Where’s the HBO? Is it fixed i.e not adjustable or removed? Looking forward to more details.

Not a role model
    Why don't forks normally extend past the dropouts like that? Weight savings? Figure that opens up opportunity for structural benefit, like wider bushing spacing.

*looks at gram shaving pockets carved out of the side of dropouts* *estimates that's about 1 sticker worth of weight saved* *goes to look up that DT Plushport fork's chassis design*

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shiny View Post
    Where’s the HBO? Is it fixed i.e not adjustable or removed? Looking forward to more details.
    Guess we'll have to wait for release.
    FWIW I run my HBO fully closed.

Quote Originally Posted by ninjichor View Post
    Why don't forks normally extend past the dropouts like that? Weight savings? Figure that opens up opportunity for structural benefit, like wider bushing spacing.
    If you want the same chassis to do different wheel sizes, then you can just move the axle and brake mounts up and down the leg.
    Longer travel needs longer tubes. But it adds material and weight. So it's a trade-off.

The Manitou Sherman (2003-05) and Travis (2006-2008) were done in this style to allow longer travel. 170mm for the Sherman and 203mm for the Travis. But there was only one wheel size back then. It was a simpler time.
    SPV Devolve

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    That reservoir is biiiig! Bladder maybe?

mtbr member
    I hope 180mm option is there. If it is, I'm sold.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by davideb87 View Post
    Can't wait to explain this, it's pretty cool

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by mullen119 View Post
    This is the part of the lineup im looking forward to. Mid travel trail bike with a RS deluxe could certainly do with a bit more party in the back...

mtbr member
    If it's a fixed HBO, I wonder if maybe there is more of a TCP+ damper in there? Perhaps the M3zzer name means M3 damper? an MC2 with additional adjustment?

Shock looks pretty sweet too. Looking forward to hearing the details.

mtbr member
    Indeed
    Love the graphics. Very much like the original Manitou 1!
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespasianus View Post
    Love the graphics. Very much like the original Manitou 1!
    These are actually the first time I'm seeing the graphics, everything prior was badgeless. I dig it, hope they go to production with it with an optional sticker packet like with the Mattoc.

damned rocks...
    Quote Originally Posted by sherwin24 View Post
    If it's a fixed HBO, I wonder if maybe there is more of a TCP+ damper in there? Perhaps the M3zzer name means M3 damper? an MC2 with additional adjustment?

Shock looks pretty sweet too. Looking forward to hearing the details.
    One of the pictures of the damper top cap has MC2 written on it, so maybe the HBO is only internally adjustable, maybe to save weight and money. On the Magnum I set the HBO once and never touched it again, so not worried if it's only internally adjustable.
    I was hoping for a new coil version of the Swinger, let's just hope they will release one soon, before I quit messing with my DPX2 .

mtbr member
    May 2015
    That rear shock is sexy.

mtbr member
    So when do they lift the embargo and you can describe it to us?

mtbr member
    I hope its an oversized mattoc. No difference, same internals, just bigger. The only very slight issue with my mattoc is that its not quite as stiff as the xfusion it replaced. Running a mattoc at 160 is good, but not perfect. This would be perfect!

I was always surprised that the old ISX6 didnt catch on more. It was incredible.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lachman View Post
    Is that shock close too?
    Quote Originally Posted by davideb87 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jdang307 View Post
    That rear shock is sexy.
    I figured that one deserved it's own thread too: https://forums.mtbr.com/shocks-suspe...r-1101572.html
    SPV Devolve

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kwapik View Post
    So when do they lift the embargo and you can describe it to us?
    When Manitou say we can.
    SPV Devolve

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Moved to Mara thread.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    So manitous latest instagram post indicates 18 days till the launch. And hinted at 37mm stanchions, that the logo seems to show as M37zer

Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
    Someone over at Pinkbike was saying Manitou mentioned this thing weighing 4lbs.

37mm long travel fork weighing the same as the Pike? I wish!

I would totally be down for trying out a revised Mattoc, especially if it was a competitor with the Pike, 34 or Ribbon for weight (in 29x140 size). No interest in a big 4.5lbs fork at this point. That was part of the reason I haven't been interested in the Mattoc 29, just too heavy to replace my go-to Pike or 34 especially in that price range.

I wish more of the suspension companies would consider making burly, big stanchion forks, but rather than making a 120-180 CSU with lots of unused stanchion, gimme a 120-150 CSU and a 140-180 CSU similar to what MRP does with the Ribbon SL. It's still a Ribbon, just no unused stanchion to add weight.
    GIS/GPS Pro using ArcFM for Utility Mapping - Always willing to connect with other MTBers in the industry.

mtbr member
    When Manitou say we can.
    Seriously - Hayes/Manitou do not have an actual date for release? Is it really just a "we'll let you know when" announcement?

mtbr member
    Seriously - Hayes/Manitou do not have an actual date for release? Is it really just a "we'll let you know when" announcement?
    I gather they just have a release date set to X and an NDA in place for each resseller/distributor. Quite customary in cycling. Last year, when XTR was getting 'leaked' left and right, Shimano was tight lipped up until the last moment before they released it. Likewise SRAM with XX1 Eagle.

mtbr member
    I can assure you they have a date. They're just keeping it to themselves until they're ready.

But. They did just post this: https://www.instagram.com/p/BwYgY0xApSd/
    SPV Devolve

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PHeller View Post
    Someone over at Pinkbike was saying Manitou mentioned this thing weighing 4lbs.

37mm long travel fork weighing the same as the Pike? I wish!

I would totally be down for trying out a revised Mattoc, especially if it was a competitor with the Pike, 34 or Ribbon for weight (in 29x140 size). No interest in a big 4.5lbs fork at this point. That was part of the reason I haven't been interested in the Mattoc 29, just too heavy to replace my go-to Pike or 34 especially in that price range.

I wish more of the suspension companies would consider making burly, big stanchion forks, but rather than making a 120-180 CSU with lots of unused stanchion, gimme a 120-150 CSU and a 140-180 CSU similar to what MRP does with the Ribbon SL. It's still a Ribbon, just no unused stanchion to add weight.
    Have you weighed those forks? Because the Pikes and Mattocs I have personally weighed (same wheel size and travel) the Mattoc was a hair lighter.

A Mattoc 27-160 Pro Boost fork is 1846g (4.02lb) with axle, crown race and 220mm steerer. That's lighter than a Fox talas 32 with thru axle (4.3lb).
    Pike Ultimate is claiming 1832g.

Pinkbike comment seems overly optimistic.
    SPV Devolve

mtbr member
    I can assure you they have a date. They're just keeping it to themselves until they're ready.

But. They did just post this: https://www.instagram.com/p/BwYgY0xApSd/
    So. 18 days. 6th of may. Now I need to know if 180mm travel is on the menu.

Short-Change-Hero
    Quote Originally Posted by uzurpator View Post
    So. 18 days. 6th of may. Now I need to know if 180mm travel is on the menu.
    I bet you it is... Lots of the Trail/Enduro forks these days are ranging from 150mm to 180mm. I bet they keep the Mattoc around to handle the "Trail" category from 130mm to 150mm, then the Mezzer from 150/160mm to 180mm.

Have you weighed those forks? Because the Pikes and Mattocs I have personally weighed (same wheel size and travel) the Mattoc was a hair lighter.

A Mattoc 27-160 Pro Boost fork is 1846g (4.02lb) with axle, crown race and 220mm steerer. That's lighter than a Fox talas 32 with thru axle (4.3lb).
    Pike Ultimate is claiming 1832g.
    I'm talking 29er forks. 275 is old news. Anyone can make a lightweight 275 fork, haha!

My 34 PLUS weighs 4.1lbs on the scale, will fit a 29x3" tire, and extends to 150mm. If it had a shorter offset it'd be pretty much the benchmark of versatility. It's not the stiffest fork in the world, but I don't need that.

The claimed weight of the Mattoc 29 at 4.5lbs for a 34mm chassis with limited tire clearance isn't attractive, IMO. If that fork had more tire clearance (fitting say a 29x2.8) while retaining it's ability to go to 160mm and keep a 48mm offset...then I'd be shopping.

At the sport continues to become more expensive, I believe that manufacturers should consider versatility first and performance 2nd. Before long every manufacturer will have a fork that performs perfect in specific use case - while their XC, TR, FAT and other products still use old technology. Not everyone is a racer who needs 180mm travel in the stiffest possible chassis with the very best damper tech and to empty our wallets. Some of us see great value in the ability to run a fork across multiple bikes, at different lengths, with different tire sizes, and still have money leftover.

PS I'm a very particular consumer and I don't expect the industry to cater to my needs.
    GIS/GPS Pro using ArcFM for Utility Mapping - Always willing to connect with other MTBers in the industry.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gregnash View Post
    I bet you it is... Lots of the Trail/Enduro forks these days are ranging from 150mm to 180mm. I bet they keep the Mattoc around to handle the "Trail" category from 130mm to 150mm, then the Mezzer from 150/160mm to 180mm.
    The Mattoc was always meant to be a fox 34 competitor, its just so good people would compare it to the pike and 36. Mezzer is the lyrik/36 competitor that people wanted the Mattoc to be.

A 4.5lbs fork (in 29er format) with limited tire clearance a competitor for a 3.9lbs 34 that can fit 29x2.6?

I dunno. I rode the Mattoc when it first hit the market and I loved it. Still one of the best forks I've ridden, but at the time 29x2.5 was still HUGE and rare and mostly still in development and 275x2.5 was as big as most people wanted. I feel like after 9 years Mattoc just misses the mark in the "Trail Fork" segment of 2019 thats increasing dominated by 29x2.6 tires. I don't think it was due to Manitou's lack of marketing or that the Mattoc was a bad product, the 29" and 29+ Mattoc just didn't fit what most riders are looking for these days...mostly due to lack of travel, weight or tire clearance.

I think the Mezzer can remedy the 29x180mm long travel argument, will likely have increased clearance and I don't doubt that Manitou has developed this thing to be in line with the 36, Lyrik, and Ribbon in terms of weight. If the Mezzer is to long-travel big-tired 29ers what the Mattoc was for 275, it'll be a hit.

I just hope that the Mezzer translates to a revision of the Mattoc. Maybe ditch the 26" and 275" models and just do a low-offset 275+/29 with clearance for 29x2.6 and a revised/lighter chassis to keep it at 4lbs, keep the heavier 29+ model, but limit both to 150mm or maybe even 140mm. If they could get the Mattoc 29 light enough it would eliminate the need for the Markhor and Machete.

The Mezzer should give us some ideas of the future of Manitou's lineup.

damned rocks...
    One thing that I never understood was why Manitou don't use magnesium lowers, they would be lighter and stiffer/stronger than the aluminum ones used by Manitou. Fox and RS use them, why don't Manitou also use them?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Is the Mezzer going to be long-travel 29er only or is it going to be 27.5 as well?

Short-Change-Hero
    @pheller I am with you. I am the consumer that will pay good money for something that I know is going to last. I am not the typical consumer that pays good money for garbage products that need to be replaced in a few years. Hell my current/old trail bike was just fine, been riding it since 2014 and really nothing wrong with it. Had it not been for my 40th Bday this year I would have probably just kept on trucking with her until she broke.

In the past, Manitou products haven't been the greatest but when HAYES took over things changed and their focus became the customer instead of the dollar. This is shown in their lack of needing/wanting to do massive ad campaigns and whatnot. No hugely known sponsored riders, no throwing money at the broh/bruh community to drink cheap beer and act like douchenozzles. Instead, they are happy to produce damn good products at reasonable prices and let the community sell them for them. Hell look at the response my McLeod thread has received over the last few years! I was one of the first to get one and put it on their bike and literally hundreds of riders have come in, asked questions, thrown it on their bike and the response has always seemed to be "Damn!! I didn't know what I was missing until I got this thing on there!!!"

I see the product lines changing a bit... Mattoc being more Trail oriented for 27.5 through 29er (say up to 150mm/160mm depending on wheel size) then the Mezzer picking up the torch as the big hitting brother to the Mattoc as the 150mm to 180mm ENDURO type fork to take on the burgeoning market for Manitou. They have probably received enough feedback in the last few years of riders wanting a longer travel, 35mm+ stanchioned beast with the Mattoc internals that the Mezzer was the next iteration of things. But this is all speculation that will be clarified in a few weeks.

Not a role model
    I want to see a wider range of offset. 60+, similar to DH forks, would be useful for the slack enduro bikes with HTA under 64d to make their steering less floppy and more direct.

The way I see it, offset is mostly about getting the bike's trail # tuned, so the front responds to steering how you subjectively like it, and about tuning front center lengths as a minor bonus.

I envision brands focusing more on weight balance of the bike in the future, especially across the entire size spectrum. Having a wider range of offset allows them more opportunity to tweak the HTA for that purpose, without compromising greatly on steering feel. Figure that size small frames could use a slacker HTA, and size XL frames could use a steeper HTA--this gets the front wheel closer for better front end grip and raises the bars for the taller riders, while it gets rid of toe overlap issues and lowers the bars to for shorter riders, also reducing the difference in wheelbase length between the sizes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PHeller View Post
    I'm talking 29er forks. 275 is old news. Anyone can make a lightweight 275 fork, haha!

My 34 PLUS weighs 4.1lbs on the scale, will fit a 29x3" tire, and extends to 150mm. If it had a shorter offset it'd be pretty much the benchmark of versatility. It's not the stiffest fork in the world, but I don't need that.

The claimed weight of the Mattoc 29 at 4.5lbs for a 34mm chassis with limited tire clearance isn't attractive, IMO. If that fork had more tire clearance (fitting say a 29x2.8) while retaining it's ability to go to 160mm and keep a 48mm offset...then I'd be shopping.

At the sport continues to become more expensive, I believe that manufacturers should consider versatility first and performance 2nd. Before long every manufacturer will have a fork that performs perfect in specific use case - while their XC, TR, FAT and other products still use old technology. Not everyone is a racer who needs 180mm travel in the stiffest possible chassis with the very best damper tech and to empty our wallets. Some of us see great value in the ability to run a fork across multiple bikes, at different lengths, with different tire sizes, and still have money leftover.

PS I'm a very particular consumer and I don't expect the industry to cater to my needs.
    Right, I see now. Is your 34 plus the model they discontinued?

The Mattoc/magnum 27+ and 29+ were conceived back when everyone seemed to think plus size was the next big thing and we'd all be running around on 3-3.4" tyres. Then no-one did. Pretty much everyone retreated to 2.6/2.8" and 29" made a big come-back.

Manitou were left with 27+/29" with 140mm (can be modded to 150mm) and 29+ 120mm which I haven't tried to stretch further. They can both fit 3.4" but no-one needs that now.

Funnily enough the most versatile fork Manitou make for wheel size is the Mastodon. That one can fit up to 29x3.4 with 150mm and even has a straight-steerer option. But it's a monster in size and is 2.15kg on the spec sheet (I haven't weighed one).

It's obvious now with the Mezzer coming why they didn't bother retooling the Mattoc to produce a 29" version of the Mattoc Pro Boost (27-170). I don't know what a lower leg casting costs for development and tooling, but I'd expect around $US300-500k.
    SPV Devolve

mtbr member
    I wouldnt trade the ability to run a bigger tire at the cost of a crappier fork. The 34 and pike may be lighter, but they're worse forks. That seems like a very poor compromise to me.

Then again, I'm not running larger than a 2.4 tire, so fitting a 3.0 isnt really a selling point for me.

I want to see a wider range of offset. 60+, similar to DH forks, would be useful for the slack enduro bikes with HTA under 64d to make their steering less floppy and more direct.
    It seems like the industry tried that with 29ers to counter the big wheels with 51 offsets. Xfusion went to 47 for whatever reason on 27.5 bikes too.

A lot of people realized that it didnt help, and the lower offset handles better, including uphill.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gregnash View Post
    Subb'd as well... Looks pretty much close to production ready so I will be holding off on buying a replacement for my YARI RC that is on the new bike. Hoping this comes in multiple offsets but if not, 51mm is what comes with my bike so no matter what it should be good.
    the silver fork clearly has less offset than the black one. I'm taking that to mean they, like every other fork these days, will come with at least 2 options.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I'd say the silver is a 27.5 and the black is a 29er. Not to say they won't have multiple offsets per wheel size, but I think we are looking at two different forks in these pictures

Short-Change-Hero
    Quote Originally Posted by shmity View Post
    I'd say the silver is a 27.5 and the black is a 29er. Not to say they won't have multiple offsets per wheel size, but I think we are looking at two different forks in these pictures
    I agree, I bet the are two different forks in the pics on two very different bikes. One of the Manitou guys posted up a pic on his instagram of the Mezzer on his 29er Devinci Spartan. (manitou_nc) The pics show a bunch of Hayes related products; Manitou fork, ProTaper bars, Dominion A4 brakes, Sun Ringle Super Bubba hubs. The Spartan is a 150mm+ rear suspension bike so assuming that the front is at least 150 if not 160.

Neat thing is that his fork has color matching stickers! And I do see the "red" fork seals for the stanchions that are seen on the black Mezzer.