Page 44 of 44 FirstFirst ... 344041424344
Results 4,301 to 4,338 of 4338

Thread: Manitou Mattoc

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Yeah I'll give it a go. Thanks

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Can i fit any upgrades to my Mattoc Comp 2017 with black stanchions?

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Hi all.

Last week i've bought Mattoc Pro 2014 for a good price. I know this guy and he used this fork for 3-4 ride sessions only, the problem is he and i don't know how it was serviced.

My concern is HSC knob. It should have range of 5 clicks but i have only two noticable click positions from fully open, then it tightens to the point it's uncomfortable to turn it. So total range is about 50-60% of that from manual.

I haven't disassemble the fork completely because i'm waiting for fluids delivery, but checked oil level in damper and it's very low, not an issue, but tells a lot about the guy who serviced it at least twice(when it got delivered, and before owner sold it to me).

If you have any thoughts or advice, please share.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    one more question, i cant find any Travel change kits for my mattoc comp, is there any other kit that i can fit into my fork to make it drop from 160 to 140mm? For example i've hard about RS kit with some modification.
    Or does the IVA spacer kit also works as the travel change tokens in damper side?

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Why would you want to put any spacers on the damper side? Better see how the travel adjustment is done first, before you damage the fork. Manitou has a tutorial on YouTube, IVA spacers will work just fine, unless you use more than 2 then you don't have any spare

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Yeah i mean air shaft side, typo

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vvorth View Post
    Hi all.

Last week i've bought Mattoc Pro 2014 for a good price. I know this guy and he used this fork for 3-4 ride sessions only, the problem is he and i don't know how it was serviced.

My concern is HSC knob. It should have range of 5 clicks but i have only two noticable click positions from fully open, then it tightens to the point it's uncomfortable to turn it. So total range is about 50-60% of that from manual.

I haven't disassemble the fork completely because i'm waiting for fluids delivery, but checked oil level in damper and it's very low, not an issue, but tells a lot about the guy who serviced it at least twice(when it got delivered, and before owner sold it to me).

If you have any thoughts or advice, please share.
    It's normal to feel the adjuster start to get tight and the clicks start to fade. The hsc adjustment adds preload to the shim stack, the more preload, the harder it becomes to turn the adjuster.

If you have to turn the adjuster super hard, just to get a 3rd click, you may have an issue. There is no way to adjust the HSC adjusters range of preload officially, but you can work around it in .1mm increments by spacing the Piston down with 10mm OD shims. It should have very little or no float in the shim stack when the HSC is full soft. If it has excessive preload when full open, you won't get a full range of adjustment.

The mc2 damper is very sensitive to shim stack changes for this reason, and that's why there is no shim tuning guide for it.

The other option if you think there is an issue would be to contact techsupport@hayesbicycle.com and have it looked at as a possible warranty claim.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shiremux View Post
    Yeah i mean air shaft side, typo
    If they didn't come in the box with the fork (they should have), email techsupport@hayesbicycle.com and they should sent you a couple out.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by mullen119 View Post
    It's normal to feel the adjuster start to get tight and the clicks start to fade. The hsc adjustment adds preload to the shim stack, the more preload, the harder it becomes to turn the adjuster.

If you have to turn the adjuster super hard, just to get a 3rd click, you may have an issue. There is no way to adjust the HSC adjusters range of preload officially, but you can work around it in .1mm increments by spacing the Piston down with 10mm OD shims. It should have very little or no float in the shim stack when the HSC is full soft. If it has excessive preload when full open, you won't get a full range of adjustment.

The mc2 damper is very sensitive to shim stack changes for this reason, and that's why there is no shim tuning guide for it.

The other option if you think there is an issue would be to contact techsupport@hayesbicycle.com and have it looked at as a possible warranty claim.
    Well, there is no third click at all, it's so tight at that moment, i can only turn it about half click further from the point thirg click should be - afraid it can be damaged.

But from your answer it looks like it was damaged(either by bad servicing or from factory). Don't think i would want HSC closed by the way, and since i'm in Uzbekistan it's probably easier to work it around myself.

I couldn't find disassembly/service instructions do you know if there are any available so i can check it from inside? Don't want to try without it since usually it's very tricky. Or at least tell me what to look at checking that 10mm shims preload while HSC is open.

Thank you for the info.

UPD:
    Took off mc2 cartridge - it's not that tight as when installed and i can definitely feel four clicks and it tightens up to fifth, so it's okay i guess =.)
    Last edited by vvorth; 1 Week Ago at 12:09 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Another question, sorry, not easy to find specific sizes:

My mattoc pro is 26 160, based on the box and serial number on fork and the box(i'm still on 26 inch wheels anyway, so i haven't checked type of HBO piston yet). But with pump attached i can only compess it to 150mm total(pulling legs down after compressing the fork and measuring distance to travel ring, btw there is about 20+mm of stancions left till crown).

On my air piston shaft there is a travel spacer right below the piston itself, i know that mattoc pro 26 supposed to be with this one if set up for 160mm of travel. But what i think is it can be air piston/shaft assembly from 27.5 version, so this spacer actually reduces 160 to 150. So here comes the question:

What are the measurements for both 26 and 27.5 air piston assembly? So i can check if it's one or another.

Or correct me if i'm wrong.

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    26" and 27,5" versions are exactly the same internally, just the upper csu is different (less offset on 26" version) so your bottom out must be a result of too much oil in the damper. If it's pro, it should be 77mm from top at full extension.
    ps. how do you check if it's originally 26 or 27,5"? I'm curious what offset does mine have.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by piciu256 View Post
    26" and 27,5" versions are exactly the same internally, just the upper csu is different (less offset on 26" version) so your bottom out must be a result of too much oil in the damper. If it's pro, it should be 77mm from top at full extension.
    ps. how do you check if it's originally 26 or 27,5"? I'm curious what offset does mine have.
    By checking the offset

Btw, the other difference between 26" and 27.5" is the default installed HBO cone. It can't hurt to check whether the correct one is installed.
    Also, the last couple mm of travel are hard to achieve because of the built-in bottoming prevention.

mtbr member
    So Manitou is teasing "an exciting new product line in a completely new category for Manitou"

Any idea what it is?
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespasianus View Post
    So Manitou is teasing "an exciting new product line in a completely new category for Manitou"

Any idea what it is?
    Yes. But I can't say.

11th April isn't that far away.........
    Owner of www.shockcraft.co.nz and NZ Manitou Agent.
    www.dougal.co.nz Suspension setup & tuning.
    SPV Devolve

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by piciu256 View Post
    Pro 26 160 - it's written on the original box. And i know it is its box because of S/N match.
    Level of oil is exactly 77mm.

About internals - in travel adjustment docs there are differences for mattoc 26 and mattoc 27.5. So i guessed that there were two versions - 26 covertable to 27.5 and pure 27.5(may be 2016 and later versions, when there is no stock 26 anymore).

UPD:
    You were right - air piston assy is the same, diffenence is only in position of travel spacers - 27.5 should have one next to valve and none below air piston itself to achieve 160mm. While 26 should have one below piston and non by the valve.
    Also empirically figured out why i have less travel - looks like my hbo piston/cone is for 27.5 and it's stops it 10mm earlier while that one travel spacer right below air piston should be moved down to valve, because in current case it is also reduces travel.
    Last edited by vvorth; 1 Week Ago at 07:48 AM.

mtbr member
    The long awaited 37mm stanchion fork maybe?

https://nsmb.com/articles/manitou-an...ting-comeback/

mtbr member

Any idea what it is?
    It's worth the wait.....

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Hi guys,

I'm trying to figure out what the heck is going on with the new mattoc pro fork i just received from Bike-discount.de - Specifically, it is this exact fork https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/...l-boost-801392

Measuring the stanchion length, it is 160mm, yet on the sticker (the one on the back) it says 120mm travel (maybe bottom-out occurs 3/4 of the way? Is this normal?). According to the sticker it is the pro version with dorado air and i can see the IVA on top - Yet there are no 'Pro' written next to the Mattoc stickers on the lower legs.

I called bike-discount to hear what i actually received. They were not so helpful and zero clue about anything. Then on to contacting Hayes, which says that the fork is definitely not an AM fork (which also explains why it didn't come in a box? but only bubble plastics..) - They say it is an OE fork, but what does this mean for me? The weight is 2160ish, Manitou notes 2033. Everything is a bit weird. You guys have any idea what is going on?

I'm wondering if i should return it...

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    It's not a pro, not standard pro at least. Might be just butted stanchions for example, but you have the less sofisticated abs+ damper, as for stanchions, someone said before "ruler doesn't lie, and that couldn't be any more true, but when measuring actual travel, not stanchion lenght, they are not really related.

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Maybe i haven't done my research properly. So where do i stand right now?

Dorado air from a pro version, abs+ from a comp and IVA from a comp?

I'm new in building/upgrading bikes and parts, so any advice is appreciated!

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    I mean you bought an oem fork with abs+ and dorado air, and that's exactly what you got. Still a great fork, but might not be what you wanted.

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    I just expected it to be the PRO version, since it's in the name of the item... I'm sure it will fit my needs just fine. However, i don't want to pay 350 euro for a fork that is occasionally between 250-270 euro on bike24. I suppose this is comparable with the one i've got then https://www.bike24.com/1.php?content...0;pgc=0;page=7

I'll probably try call bike-discount again and attempt negotiate the price.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble112 View Post
    I just expected it to be the PRO version, since it's in the name of the item... I'm sure it will fit my needs just fine. However, i don't want to pay 350 euro for a fork that is occasionally between 250-270 euro on bike24. I suppose this is comparable with the one i've got then https://www.bike24.com/1.php?content...0;pgc=0;page=7

I'll probably try call bike-discount again and attempt negotiate the price.
    In bike-discount description it clearly says that fork comes with abs+ damper. IMO it's the issue of bike-discount assigning it wrong name in their catalog.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    I'm looking for a coil shock with good weight for pedaling and climb switch.
    I will wait until April...they wrote they have a new product line so i hope they have a new shock as well!

Short-Change-Hero
    Yup, seen the advertisements all over Instagram for 4.11.19 that Manitou J-Unit, which says it is a New Product Line. Looks like this may be something completely separate from all current offerings. The advert shows the silhouette of a fork so we can assume that it is at least a new fork coming.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dougal View Post
    Yes. But I can't say.

11th April isn't that far away.........
    It's worth the wait.....

You guys are killing me! Will be very interesting - as long as it is not a Manitou e-bike!

mtbr member
    You guys are killing me! Will be very interesting - as long as it is not a Manitou e-bike!
    Linkage fork

Short-Change-Hero
    Linkage fork
    No it is a new Coil sprung Air fork that gender identifies as a Linkage fork.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gregnash View Post
    No it is a new Coil sprung Air fork that gender identifies as a Linkage fork.
    Hahahaha

mtbr member
    Linkage fork
    I would buy that so fast.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    If it is a longer travel and bigger stanchion version of the mattoc pro than I want one.
    Can we pre order?

mtbr member
    Yeah, I think I found it.

Manitou Mattoc-p5pb16086896.jpg

Sign me up.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	p5pb16086896.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	202.5 KB 
ID:	1242630

Sign me up.

I've actually tried that fork. The lack of brake dive is amazing but the tuning for it is a bit crap. Far too expensive as well.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	p5pb16086896.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	202.5 KB 
ID:	1242630

Sign me up.
    I hope it's not this. What fender do I have to run wit that!?

Maybe a dual crown enduro fork like the MRP Barlet, but than better.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thova View Post
    I hope it's not this. What fender do I have to run wit that!?

Maybe a dual crown enduro fork like the MRP Barlet, but than better.

Yeah, my post was a joke. Not sure what it is but I am pretty sure it won't be that!

Short-Change-Hero
    Damn.. wish I was going to Sea Otter this year as I bet Manitou/Hayes will have whatever the new line is on display.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Does anyone want a single 5mm air spring spacer for a Mattoc?
    It will make your travel 155mm or 145mm or 135mm, etc combined normal 10mm spacers.
    I 3d printed one, tried it and went back to 160mm travel.
    No charge, just let me know where to send it.
    Last edited by ac1000; 6 Days Ago at 04:15 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Just wanted to give a very short ride report on my wifes' Expert to pro conversion including, high flow piston and Corex 5cst from Shockcraft.

Before I never really could get her fork to work properly for her weight. Changing the compression tune, low friction seals. Nothing really improved the fork to a good level. Well the above conversion proofed the ticket. She's very happy how the fork works now.

So anyone looking at improving the small bump sensitivity of their Mattoc expert, I would seriously look at converting it to pro with the high flow piston.

Page 44 of 44 FirstFirst ... 344041424344