Manitou Mattoc - Page 22- Mtbr.com
Page 22 of 25 FirstFirst ... 121819202122232425 LastLast
Results 4,201 to 4,400 of 4842

Thread: Manitou Mattoc

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespasianus View Post
    What exactly is it? A different O-ring that has less friction?
    Yes, its pneumatic seal with lower friction

mtbr member
    Looks one-way, it won't work on forks with a negative air spring unless you install two of them back-to-back.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RoboS View Post
    What exactly is it? A different O-ring that has less friction?
    It's a lip-seal orientated to the positive side. Fox used to use them on their FLOAT forks with coil negative. Won't work on any fork with air positive and won't make any useful difference in friction either.

The big problem with them is pumping oil and grease only in the direction of the lip.
    Owner of www.shockcraft.co.nz, Mech Engineer, Tuner, Manitou, Motorex, Vorsprung EPTC, SKF, Enduro
    www.dougal.co.nz

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quick question for the mattoc 27,5+/29 version. I found a killer deal for the mattoc comp, but in the discription it states it's only possible to change the travel from 100mm to 80mm. https://www.bike24.com/p2304100.html?q=mattoc
    According to the manitou website service guide that fork's travel is convertible anywhere from 100mm to 140mm. Which one is correct??
    I wan't to replace my pike on my 29'er with this fork, but I need it at 140mm.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hurck View Post
    Quick question for the mattoc 27,5+/29 version. I found a killer deal for the mattoc comp, but in the discription it states it's only possible to change the travel from 100mm to 80mm. https://www.bike24.com/p2304100.html?q=mattoc
    According to the manitou website service guide that fork's travel is convertible anywhere from 100mm to 140mm. Which one is correct??
    I wan't to replace my pike on my 29'er with this fork, but I need it at 140mm.
    Aftermarket can go to 140mm. That's likely an OEM fork which has shorter stanchions which limit the travel.

Hence the great price. It's a limited market.
    Owner of www.shockcraft.co.nz, Mech Engineer, Tuner, Manitou, Motorex, Vorsprung EPTC, SKF, Enduro
    www.dougal.co.nz

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Ah,too bad, thanks for your quick reply!

edit: just to be absolutely sure I sent them an email. If it's an OEM version only convertible to 80mm I'll keep on searching, otherwise I'm buying it. I'm done with thinkering with my pike and want to move on.

mtbr member
    There's a slightly pricier 120mm fork on bike-discount.de, maybe that one will go to 140?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Thanks for the heads up but I found that one aswell Already sent them an email to ask if that one does convert to 140mm

mtbr member
    Thanks for the heads up but I found that one aswell Already sent them an email to ask if that one does convert to 140mm
    They just ship boxes.
    www.dougal.co.nz

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    The bike24 one only converts from 100 to 80, the one sold by bike discount would convert up to 140. I'm going to buy that one, if it turns out it doesn't I'll return it.

Short-Change-Hero
    https://www.vitalmtb.com/features/SP...un-Ringle,2504

So wondering if we are going to finally see the long travel 29er Mattoc at Sea Otter 2019!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gregnash View Post
    https://www.vitalmtb.com/features/SP...un-Ringle,2504

So wondering if we are going to finally see the long travel 29er Mattoc at Sea Otter 2019!!
    Dunno. But I can tell you that new mudguard is available and bolts straight up to the 2018 Boost forks: https://www.shockcraft.co.nz/mattoc-...9-manitou.html
    www.dougal.co.nz

Live Free & Ride
    Quote Originally Posted by Dougal View Post
    Dunno. But I can tell you that new mudguard is available and bolts straight up to the 2018 Boost forks: https://www.shockcraft.co.nz/mattoc-...9-manitou.html
    $47 for a plastic fender?...no thanks!

Here ya go...
    https://www.amazon.com/Taint-Muddy-F...13S9CDVQH8FJ5T
    17 Fuel EX 9.9 (in progress)
    19 FM 279 carbon gravel
    17 Stache 29+
    14 GT Zaskar 100 9r

https://kettleheadbrewing.com/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NH Mtbiker View Post

Here ya go...
    Maybe it's the New Zealand dollar?

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Hi Dougal, i just installed your modified piston for the mattoc pro.
    It was very easy as you already said.
    I still have to try the bike on the trails but i noticed that to obtain the same rebound speed as before i have to close it more clicks (before the piston i was 2 clicks from full open, now i am at 6 clicks).
    Does it sound correct?

For LSC and HSC i will wait the field test, for now i will start with the same settings as before (2 LSC, 1 HSC, HBO maxed)
    I weight 80 kg.

Short-Change-Hero
    New bike will be 150mm travel to start with 145 rear. Only coming with a bone stock Yari so will want to upgrade at some point and have been waiting for a true long travel 29er Mattoc for a while. Sea Otter is a couple months away so maybe see something there.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    This is a cheap fender that is made for mattocs I e that inner arch 's edged Form

https://www.decathlon.de/p/schutzble...yABEgLSLvD_BwE

mtbr member
    May 2015
    I ordered the Mucky Nutz reverse one.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NH Mtbiker View Post

Here ya go...
    One of those is a complex plastic moulding for which the tooling costs the same as a house to produce. The other is a cut piece of flat plastic and some zip-ties.

Up to you.

Quote Originally Posted by kwapik View Post
    Maybe it's the New Zealand dollar?
    Indeed, the price shown also includes NZ sales tax. Which comes off once the order is addressed internationally.

For export it's about $US30.

Quote Originally Posted by davideb87 View Post
    Hi Dougal, i just installed your modified piston for the mattoc pro.
    It was very easy as you already said.
    I still have to try the bike on the trails but i noticed that to obtain the same rebound speed as before i have to close it more clicks (before the piston i was 2 clicks from full open, now i am at 6 clicks).
    Does it sound correct?

For LSC and HSC i will wait the field test, for now i will start with the same settings as before (2 LSC, 1 HSC, HBO maxed)
    I weight 80 kg.
    Shouldn't be any change in rebound. Check all your shims are seated flat.
    www.dougal.co.nz

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    One of those is a complex plastic moulding for which the tooling costs the same as a house to produce. The other is a cut piece of flat plastic and some zip-ties.

Up to you.

Indeed, the price shown also includes NZ sales tax. Which comes off once the order is addressed internationally.

For export it's about $US30.

Shouldn't be any change in rebound. Check all your shims are seated flat.
    That would be weird, i checked them before closing it.
    Also, i didn't lose LSR, i mean that if i fully close it, it rebounds very slowly.
    I changed the stock oil to Motorex 2.5w, could that be the cause?

Also if the shim are not seated correctly and i ride the fork could i damage it? I would like to give it a try before open it again

mtbr member
    That would be weird, i checked them before closing it.
    Also, i didn't lose LSR, i mean that if i fully close it, it rebounds very slowly.
    I changed the stock oil to Motorex 2.5w, could that be the cause?

Also if the shim are not seated correctly and i ride the fork could i damage it? I would like to give it a try before open it again
    Motorex 2.5wt is basically the same viscosity as the blue maxima 5wt. So that's not it.
    The shims won't get damaged in use. But they can get damaged if trapped during assembly. Because you can go to fully slow it sounds minor. Maybe a small lip on the edge holding a shim off a fraction.

I'd say ride it now and check it next time.
    www.dougal.co.nz

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Motorex 2.5wt is basically the same viscosity as the blue maxima 5wt. So that's not it.
    The shims won't get damaged in use. But they can get damaged if trapped during assembly. Because you can go to fully slow it sounds minor. Maybe a small lip on the edge holding a shim off a fraction.

Thank you!

mtbr member
    Dec 2017

Opened it, i have found some small black debris on the shims and on the upper black long piece that threads on the shaft, didn't see those the other time and always used nitrile gloves. Probably some dirt that cycled around...anyway it seems fine now, it could be either the debris or something else but i'm good anyway.

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by phile View Post
    How did you get the fork apart after the foot broke? I just did the same thing to mine...
    First post from MTB newb and lurker, but here goes...

I recently decided to do the first 50 hourly on my Mattoc Comp 2018 and the exact same thing happened to me, with the rebound foot breaking. I had the torque wrench set to just under 4 Nm. Obviously I applied too much force, but I'm wondering why the wrench didn't click sooner. I've tested it on my bike's frame bolts and it works every time. But when I tested on the air side of my fork, I can't get a click either. Not sure what's happening there. Open to suggestions though...

Anyway, is this:

https://www.shockcraft.co.nz/shaft-f...p-manitou.html

what I need to fix it? Along with a 12mm shaft clamp I'm guessing?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Is your torque wrench able to be used counter clockwise?? Learned this the hard way myself. Most torque wrenches only work clock wise to the specified torque.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    The bike24 one only converts from 100 to 80, the one sold by bike discount would convert up to 140. I'm going to buy that one, if it turns out it doesn't I'll return it.
    Follow up on this. Yesterday I finally had time to open up the mattoc comp. As promised by bike discount it was possible to convert to 140mm. It definitly is a OEM fork, the decals have different colours (probably for a cube judging by the colour scheme ), the steerer tube was slightly cut and I could see the starnut was knocked out. But very happy with the deal. Can't wait to test it on the trails, if only it would stop raining...

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Is your torque wrench able to be used counter clockwise?? Learned this the hard way myself. Most torque wrenches only work clock wise to the specified torque.
    Well that's probably it! My torque wrench looks like a rebranded version of Langestrom's X-tool wrench from the previous page. At the price point of it I doubt it's capable of two-way torque. Bugger.

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Manitou Mattoc-screenshot_20190215-133949%7E2.jpg

In replacing the damaged foot of my Mattoc Comp rebound damper, Iím struggling to remove the damaged one. Iíve managed to remove the 2 balls but cannot unscrew the foot from the damper shaft.

Iíve tried heating it, WD40 and a shifter on the circled bit with a 2mm screwdriver in the little hole on the foot. Broke the screwdriver...

I have a 12mm collar clamp in the post but was hoping to get it fixed by the weekend. Can anyone suggest another method or where Iím going wrong? Or maybe I just have to wait for the collar to come so I can better grip the main shaft.

Edit: Or does the rebound adjuster (gold 5mm hex protruding from the foot) need removal before the foot will unscrew?

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Hello, Before 4 months I purchased Manittou Mattoc pro2 (black) from CRC. Fork is awesome.

But before few days I noticed vibrations under braking. I checked brakes, headset (everything was ok) and finally I found a little play (moving) in right leg.

When I push the front brake and slightly move bike front and back I feel small moving, free space in right leg. Like the bushings have worn. (the same filling was in my old fox 36 fork, then I serviced and replaced busshings and everything was again OK).
    When I compress fork and try to move front and back then I dont feel any move.
    Does any of you have similar problems?

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Hello, I just bought an used Mattoc, I read a lot of this thread before so I think I know how to use it, changing the air pressure on the trail is a hudge pain, but otherwise it seems all good, though I'm not sure if I'm supposed to be able to bottom it out on flat ground? I made sure that the fork is fully extended and springs equalized properly, there is no vacuum in the lowers or in the damper, oil level is correct, just the fork is set to 140mm and just by pushing hard on the bike I'm able to use 130mm of travel, and if I bounce a little bit I'm able to hit 140, which is very surprising because on my Minute the bottom out bumper doesn't give full travel unless I hit a drop, otherwise it leaves around 5mm as spare, and I'm not perticularly strong.
    I'm running 55-60 psi for 22-20% of sag with my feather like 55kg body.
    rear shock (Monarch R Debonair) uses around 80% of travel in this test, as it should, 30% sag there.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by piciu256 View Post
    Hello, I just bought an used Mattoc, I read a lot of this thread before so I think I know how to use it, changing the air pressure on the trail is a hudge pain, but otherwise it seems all good, though I'm not sure if I'm supposed to be able to bottom it out on flat ground? I made sure that the fork is fully extended and springs equalized properly, there is no vacuum in the lowers or in the damper, oil level is correct, just the fork is set to 140mm and just by pushing hard on the bike I'm able to use 130mm of travel, and if I bounce a little bit I'm able to hit 140, which is very surprising because on my Minute the bottom out bumper doesn't give full travel unless I hit a drop, otherwise it leaves around 5mm as spare, and I'm not perticularly strong.
    rear shock (Monarch R Debonair) uses around 80% of travel in this test, as it should, 30% sag there.
    How does it feel when you add clicks going towards full lockout? How about at full lockout?

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    It gets a bit of resistance, when I add hsc I get more and more resistance, no definite lock out though, which as I understand is normal. The oil level is proper, I checked it when changing travel, was 10mm low btw.
    The HBO works too, it's a subtle difference, but definitely there, it makes like a shooting sound when bottoming hard, which I'm not sure is normal, but that might as well be my wheel.

mtbr member
    So if I read this correctly, the problem is that you are able to use the full travel of the fork? Would increasing the pressure solve your problem?

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    The concern is that I'm able to use all the travel just in the carpark, didn't test it on the trail yet as I'm ill, so I'm asking. Increasing the air pressure more is not an option, I don't want to run less than 20% sag so as not to disrupt the geometry too much, the bike is pretty slack already. I might consider IVA or IRT if it turns out to be too easy to bottom out, but that's a pretty pricey upgrade.
    Last edited by piciu256; 02-15-2019 at 11:59 AM. Reason: typo

mtbr member
    Something isnt right. Even with hydraulic bottom out turned to minimum, the fork has significant bottom out resistance even with too-low pressure.

Since its used, its hard to say, but it sounds like your air spring needs a rebuild.

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    As I said, the air spring works correctly, it's not losing pressure or getting stuck down (I was hoping it would really lol) but it might be too linear with the increased negative air volume from the travel reducing spacers.
    Im asking really only because it's my first longish travel bike ever, with the 100mm minute using 95% of travel in the carpark seems sensible, but with 140mm using all but the last 10mm (just by pushing hard on it) seems a bit excessive.
    As I said, I hope that it will be non issue when riding for real, but it makes me worried.

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Other thing, does anyone know the shim diameter for the pro rebound assembly? With my low weight I'm obviously running the rebound fully counter clockwise, and I feel like it could go a little faster, will order the low friction seals, don't tell me that
    but still I would like to make the rebound shim stack a little softer, just want to order the shims in advance.
    I forgot to check when I was in there to check oil level and stuff, as I was excited to finally put the bike together.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I got a Mattic Expert to replace my year old Pike that I could never get set up to suit me, no regrets! I got a steal, too, 160mm for like $225 brand new old stock. I think it was BIkewagon, but they are gone now

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    As I said, the air spring works correctly, it's not losing pressure or getting stuck down (I was hoping it would really lol) but it might be too linear with the increased negative air volume from the travel reducing spacers.
    Im asking really only because it's my first longish travel bike ever, with the 100mm minute using 95% of travel in the carpark seems sensible, but with 140mm using all but the last 10mm (just by pushing hard on it) seems a bit excessive.
    As I said, I hope that it will be non issue when riding for real, but it makes me worried.
    In my experience with Manitou, they seem to run softish at correct sag, I have a 160mm Mattoc comp that when I first set it up it would eat speedbumps in the parking lot, in the end I added more air to firm it up a little. My Minute pro 140 was the same, I have had a 140mm Sektor gold and a Fox factory 34 and the Sektor felt fine for the most part, the Fox was really firm all the way through at sag. I'd say set your Manitou's sag standing mid bike and see if that feels better.

mtbr member
    Other thing, does anyone know the shim diameter for the pro rebound assembly? With my low weight I'm obviously running the rebound fully counter clockwise, and I feel like it could go a little faster, will order the low friction seals, don't tell me that
    but still I would like to make the rebound shim stack a little softer, just want to order the shims in advance.
    I forgot to check when I was in there to check oil level and stuff, as I was excited to finally put the bike together.
    55-60psi is a lot for a 55kg rider. I've got 20kg on you and was running 45-50psi for single air chamber. Now I'm running 40/80psi with IRT. But my bike is long and slack. Is yours short and steep?
    How are you measuring sag and in what riding position?

Pumps can be a long way out, but it doesn't matter as long as it's consistent and you keep using the same one. Get another pump to check the pressure some time.

Shims on the rebound are 6x13x0.1mm. But once you get your air pressure sorted and your seals changed to low friction type you will be in the middle of the range.
    www.dougal.co.nz

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Actually, I'm pretty confident in my pumps reading, I fall right into the Manitou recommended pressure for 140mm setting, my bike is pretty slack, not very long, but definitely modern. I'm setting my sag in the neutral position, as was recommended by Volsprung, just for consistency, sitting it's less than 20%, in the attack position its around 25% so I'd say quite perfect. It might as well be just that I will want more end stroke progression, my test ride plan for yesterday was killed by compressing the rear suspension with pump attached... Snapped the air valve from the Monarch clean off Well, hopefully it won't happen again...
    Thank you very much for the shim dimensions, are you aware of the count of them? If it's only 2 then I will stop short of modyfying them, as to avoid stress failure, I was hoping they are 0,15mm thick so I can make the stack a bit softer with appropriate ammount of 0.1mm shims.
    The red colour stick out like a sore thumb, but it was that used and known (ridden for 3 years)to be reliable for 300$ or new old stock, white so not much better, for 380$ which could have some issues emerge in the upcoming years.

Short term bike storage, while being worked on

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    So to answer my own question, since my shock is damaged and I can't ride anyway, I opened the fork up again, ordered some Fox Gold, and will put all the damper parts together with loctite to play safe (I don't want to open it again anytime soon, unless it will appear to be leaking)
    The rebound shim stack of the pro damper is not really possible to modify, as it consists of 2 0,1mm thick shims, I guess you could make the second one a bit smaller diameter, but I don't think that would make enough of a difference in this case.

So the only option for me remains to be the low friction seals, though I don't like the idea of not having an oil seal, the current ones (first revision, not even the 25 ones, these are first batch 22 seals) and these are so smooth compared to the minute or marvel ones... But do the new seals differ in any way apart from lacking the oil seal? Is there anything that could go wrong from running the old seals, just with the oil seal portion removed? The dust seals seem to be doing a good enough of a job keeping things out, though I'm not sure if they have any capacity of keeping oil in.

Also, does Hayes (or manitou) give away the updated piston of someone has the old one (like me) or do I need to have varranty for that? Kepp in mind that I'm in Europe, so the support might not be as good as in US (judging from the communication I had just asking about some things)

mtbr member
    So to answer my own question, since my shock is damaged and I can't ride anyway, I opened the fork up again, ordered some Fox Gold, and will put all the damper parts together with loctite to play safe (I don't want to open it again anytime soon, unless it will appear to be leaking)
    The rebound shim stack of the pro damper is not really possible to modify, as it consists of 2 0,1mm thick shims, I guess you could make the second one a bit smaller diameter, but I don't think that would make enough of a difference in this case.

So the only option for me remains to be the low friction seals, though I don't like the idea of not having an oil seal, the current ones (first revision, not even the 25 ones, these are first batch 22 seals) and these are so smooth compared to the minute or marvel ones... But do the new seals differ in any way apart from lacking the oil seal? Is there anything that could go wrong from running the old seals, just with the oil seal portion removed? The dust seals seem to be doing a good enough of a job keeping things out, though I'm not sure if they have any capacity of keeping oil in.

Also, does Hayes (or manitou) give away the updated piston of someone has the old one (like me) or do I need to have varranty for that? Kepp in mind that I'm in Europe, so the support might not be as good as in US (judging from the communication I had just asking about some things)
    The low friction seals have the oil seal lip built into them. They seal very well and are a great upgrade, but there is nothing inherently wrong with the 2 piece seals and you can run them as long as you want. You do not want to run them without the oil seal though, the dust seal scraper will not keep the oil inside.

Their are options for the rebound damper tune, the biggest being using a smaller face shim that allows a very small amount of free bleed. There was a lot of testing done on those and they work well. The low friction seals or green skf seals work well to reduce friction allow you to run less lsr. You can also go with a slightly thinner oil, though that changes LSC as well.

As for your spring issue, using IVA or IRT allows you adjust your spring to solve your issue. The first run mattocs with blank too caps have a little too much volume. With IRT, you can dial in any spring curve you want, it's worth the money. IVA is a solid option too and cheaper. A driveway bounce test is not a great indicator of how much travel you will use on the trail though.

You can email [email protected] and ask about the updated air piston. They will likely send one out.

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Will go for the new seals next month, when I have money, IVA new is not worth it, as for just 20Ä more I can get IRT, for 60Ä it is acceptable I guess, since I saved this ammount of money by going used.
    I modified the lsr adjuster a bit, I filed down the rod that turns the needle slightly, giving me 2 clicks more of negative movement (I noticed the port opens just a bit, so thought if it opens just a tad more there can't be any harm) that might be enough, since I wanted to make it just a little bit faster.
    With those upgrades the fork is starting to get a bit pricey though...
    Mayby someone has a spare IVA lying around in Europe? As in upgraded to the superior IRT and could live with passing it to me for cheap? I can't see anything for Mattoc locally, just for Dorado.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Bike24, bike-components, h&s bike discount, r2 bike,... in Germany and chainreactioncycles in the UK all have manitou (mattoc) stuff in their webshops. On https://bikemarkt.mtb-news.de/search/Irt?page=2 you can often find deals on the irt kit.

You do have a point in the difference between the tech support in Europe and the US. Always had good email contact with the US tech support, the few times I contacted the tech support here in Europe were a bit more difficult. The guys in the US seem much more helpfull and know their products better. At least that was the impression I had.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Agreed on the difference between tech support in the US (amazing) and Europe (mediocre at best).
    The Dutch importer didn't even know there were new seals or air pistons and couldn't provide me with springs for the HBO adjuster worth 2 cents (even when I offered to pay everything). They could only sell me a complete adjuster set for nearly 40 dollars.
    The US store where I bought it from was so kind to strip them from another fork in stock and settled it via Manitou US.
    It would be great to have a knowledgeable and service oriented guy like Dougal over here. My local shop has excellent service but can't always help me and the importer knows nothing and is usually not willing to help (the same goes for Fox btw).

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Hi all,
    I am getting new bike as I made deposit on a dual suspension bike.

It come with this fork, Manitou Mattoc Comp Air fork, 150mm travel.

I wonder how good is this fork compared to Rockshox or Fox?

Cheers

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac1987 View Post
    Agreed on the difference between tech support in the US (amazing) and Europe (mediocre at best).
    The Dutch importer didn't even know there were new seals or air pistons and couldn't provide me with springs for the HBO adjuster worth 2 cents (even when I offered to pay everything). They could only sell me a complete adjuster set for nearly 40 dollars.
    The US store where I bought it from was so kind to strip them from another fork in stock and settled it via Manitou US.
    It would be great to have a knowledgeable and service oriented guy like Dougal over here. My local shop has excellent service but can't always help me and the importer knows nothing and is usually not willing to help (the same goes for Fox btw).
    I think I'm the only place worldwide with the HBO springs: https://www.shockcraft.co.nz/manitou...rk-small-parts

The reason no-one else worldwide offers this service is the expense and effort involved in generating and keeping that level of detail. That goes for all suspension brands. This stuff gets complex fast. Even stocking and tracking the bits can be a nightmare.

Shockcraft has over 3000 listings.

Quote Originally Posted by snowboarderVB View Post
    Hi all,
    I am getting new bike as I made deposit on a dual suspension bike.

It come with this fork, Manitou Mattoc Comp Air fork, 150mm travel.

I wonder how good is this fork compared to Rockshox or Fox?

Cheers
    Very good. Maybe better. But we don't know which models you're comparing it against.
    www.dougal.co.nz

mtbr member
    I just installed my new Mattoc Comp and am trying to lower it to 140mm. Was it supposed to include extra spacers for the air spring?

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Yes, it's supposed to have 2 spacers and a HBO cone for travel/wheel size conversion.
    @edit or mayby not with the comp version?
    Last edited by piciu256; 02-17-2019 at 03:38 PM. Reason: Mistake

mtbr member
    Yes, it's supposed to have 2 spacers and a HBO cone for travel/wheel size conversion.
    @edit or mayby not with the comp version?
    Thanks. No HBO on the Comp, but it is adjustable down to 140 if I only had two more spacers. I can't find them online anywhere. Sure looks like I should have had them in the box. I got a fender and a user guide, but no other parts

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Very good. Maybe better. But we don't know which models you're comparing it against.
    That's good to hear. Is there something like calculating weight for correct set up for the fork?

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Well, not really, you have a starting point pressure recommendation written on the side of the fork, but everything depends on how hard you ride in what terrain, I saw some dudes here want to remove all the spacers possible from the chamber, while for me the stock setup without spacers is too soft (not enough capacity in the spring, aka I'm able to bottom out just by pushing hard on it)
    ps. afaik the comp version has the HBO circuit too, it's just not externally adjustable.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Unfortunately my CRC mattoc pro 2 developed a serious bushings play as well...will try to go through the warranty.

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Managed to aquire an IVA kit for 20$
    So as soon as I receive a new Monarch air valve assembly, I will do some testing, the weather is supposed to be avesome in the upcoming days.
    But looking at it, I can't stop but wonder if noone tried to convert it to an IRT, technically the only difference between them is that the IVA cap has no air valve and has a plastic spacer on the shaft, well and that the IRT shaft is anodised, but I don't think that's crutial (might need to polish it though), as long as it's lubed properly, so I think I will try to hack an IRT system from it myself, if I find I'm not fully pleased enough with the result, or just for the heck of it

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Unfortunately my CRC mattoc pro 2 developed a serious bushings play as well...will try to go through the warranty.
    I bought the same fork. What are the symptoms of bushing play?

I ordered a IRT which should be here this week. Going snowboarding this weekend but can't wait to install it and use it next week.

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Well, if yours develops bushing play... You will definitely notce it, it manifests with a deaf clicking noise with a vibration at the handlebar, and obviously noticeable play between the lowers and uppers of the fork.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Strong vibrations during fast rough descents, especially during braking.
    Also a bad feeling/clunk noise when i lift the front wheel and then i land on the ground.
    I don't like to ride the bike anymore this way, i feel unsafe as well, i have the feeling that it's going to break something anytime.

The axle Is torqued to spec, hub and brakes are ok, headset has no play. It's the fork.

My main problem is that i don't want a new fork, i just did a service and installed Dougal's rebound piston.
    I will see how they are going to warranty it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by boomn View Post
    Thanks. No HBO on the Comp, but it is adjustable down to 140 if I only had two more spacers. I can't find them online anywhere. Sure looks like I should have had them in the box. I got a fender and a user guide, but no other parts
    Following up to say thank you to Manitou They are sending me two spacers

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by boomn View Post
    Following up to say thank you to Manitou They are sending me two spacers
    The comps have HBO, it's just not externally adjustable.

Glad you got the spacers sorted

mtbr member
    Strong vibrations during fast rough descents, especially during braking.
    Also a bad feeling/clunk noise when i lift the front wheel and then i land on the ground.
    I don't like to ride the bike anymore this way, i feel unsafe as well, i have the feeling that it's going to break something anytime.

The axle Is torqued to spec, hub and brakes are ok, headset has no play. It's the fork.

My main problem is that i don't want a new fork, i just did a service and installed Dougal's rebound piston.
    I will see how they are going to warranty it.
    Honestly loose bushings can't cause all of that. Especially the clunk.

Loose bushings are like a really minorly loose headset. I think you've got something else going on inside.
    www.dougal.co.nz

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Yesterday i checked everything again and i have found that the axle retainer was flush, but a bit loose.
    Could it be the cause of the vibrations/noise getting worse?

The bushing play is still there. Anyway manitou is going to check the fork under warranty they answered me in a few hours by calling me on the phone, i'm impressed.

mtbr member
    Yesterday i checked everything again and i have found that the axle retainer was flush, but a bit loose.
    Could it be the cause of the vibrations/noise getting worse?

The bushing play is still there. Anyway manitou is going to check the fork under warranty they answered me in a few hours by calling me on the phone, i'm impressed.
    Yes a loose axle feels terrible.
    www.dougal.co.nz

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Roland_khs View Post
    Hello, Before 4 months I purchased Manittou Mattoc pro2 (black) from CRC. Fork is awesome.

But before few days I noticed vibrations under braking. I checked brakes, headset (everything was ok) and finally I found a little play (moving) in right leg.

When I push the front brake and slightly move bike front and back I feel small moving, free space in right leg. Like the bushings have worn. (the same filling was in my old fox 36 fork, then I serviced and replaced busshings and everything was again OK).
    When I compress fork and try to move front and back then I dont feel any move.
    Does any of you have similar problems?
    yeah, the out-of-spec bushings seem to be the most common defect of an otherwise fantastic fork. It sounds like your Mattoc is still under warranty, I would contact Manitou to see about a warranty repair, they will know what you are talking about.

just be sure to rule out a loose headset, loose axle, or shifting brake pads before contacting them

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    So I just got the IVA, looking at it live I see that to make an IRT out of it all I need is a new shaft for the piston to ride on (the stock one is made from a
    really poor quality/soft material, don't think it's suitable) and a valve in the cap. Should be easy enough with a lathe, though I'm not sure I'll bother as testing by hand shows a noticeable increase in stiffness even in the beginning of the stroke, with just one token so I believe my "issue" will now be resolved
    Also, the 3 additional clicks of rebound are more than enough, with my settings @50 psi one less click was enough to make it perfect, so I'm @ 9 clicks from fully closed now
    No reshimming of the rebound stack required, if anyone weighs 50kg and wonders if this fork will work, well, it most surtently will, just take apart the rebound assembly and shorten the rebound needle rod by around 0,2mm and you're golden
    I personally don't see a need to make the compression stack any lighter, don't know why anyone would, but that's just me.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Will the Mattoc 29/27.5+ fit a Duro Crux 29x3.25 on a Duroc 50 (i46)? The A-C is listed as 531 compared to 551 I believe for the 29+.

More importantly would it fit most 29x3 tires?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ramsdude47 View Post
    Will the Mattoc 29/27.5+ fit a Duro Crux 29x3.25 on a Duroc 50 (i46)? The A-C is listed as 531 compared to 551 I believe for the 29+.

More importantly would it fit most 29x3 tires?
    The 27+/29" version will fit 27x3.4".
    The 29+ version will fit 29x3.4"

Yes there is 20mm in radius between a 27" wheel (23" bead diameter) and 29" (24.5" bead diameter) wheel.
    www.dougal.co.nz

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    So I'm looking at improving on my 2018 fox 36 170mm performance forks. I was going to try the Vorsprung Luftkappe or Smashpot but came across this...

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/.../rp-prod178213

Is the mattoc comp an improvement, a side step or cheap for a reason? Can the travel be adjusted to 170mm? Should I just save for the pro or MRP ribbon?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    My Mattoc Pro was a definite improvement on my 2017 Fox 34 Performance. However, the Fox 36 is better than the 34 and the Mattoc Comp is not as good as the Pro. Stiffness wise, the Fox 36 will be better. Damping wise, the Mattoc Comp might just edge it. A Mattoc Expert or Pro will definitely be better damping wise than a Fox 36 Performance.
    Mullen or Dougal might have better insight on the comparative performance of the Mattoc Comp. It is supposed to be a terrific fork for the money, but the Fox 36 is on a totally different price level. I suspect it would be a sidestep in damping performance and it would be better to invest in a Mattoc Expert or Pro with IRT if performance is your first concern.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Today I had the strangest thing. I month ago a bought a new Mattoc Pro 26', manufacturing date 2014/09/18. Ordered some stuff from Dougal (incl. high flow piston).

So I started converting it to 27.5. Took the air assembly out to change the spacer and noticed it already had the new air piston. I thought, nice, saves me some work. Then went on with the rebound assembly. Took off the 26' end replaced the piston with the high flow one and put the 27.5 end back on.

Then I wanted to start to take out the old seals to put the new low friction seals in. So I get my tire lifter to get the seals out and think, wait a minute, there look like the new ones already. So checked the part number and strangely enough there's indeed the new seals already in there. How do 2017 low friction seals end up in 2014 fork I wonder?!

Anyway the fork really is new, no stretch on it. Anyway saved me the work on both air-piston and seals. Is going the go on the bike tomorrow. Can't wait.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CS645 View Post
    Today I had the strangest thing. I month ago a bought a new Mattoc Pro 26', manufacturing date 2014/09/18. Ordered some stuff from Dougal (incl. high flow piston).

So I started converting it to 27.5. Took the air assembly out to change the spacer and noticed it already had the new air piston. I thought, nice, saves me some work. Then went on with the rebound assembly. Took off the 26' end replaced the piston with the high flow one and put the 27.5 end back on.

Then I wanted to start to take out the old seals to put the new low friction seals in. So I get my tire lifter to get the seals out and think, wait a minute, there look like the new ones already. So checked the part number and strangely enough there's indeed the new seals already in there. How do 2017 low friction seals end up in 2014 fork I wonder?!

Anyway the fork really is new, no stretch on it. Anyway saved me the work on both air-piston and seals. Is going the go on the bike tomorrow. Can't wait.
    Manitou update their stock. So if you fork was still in their US warehouse when updates are developed, then they update what they have.

If your fork sat in a resellers warehouse it wouldn't get those updates.
    www.dougal.co.nz

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Manitou update their stock. So if you fork was still in their US warehouse when updates are developed, then they update what they have.

If your fork sat in a resellers warehouse it wouldn't get those updates.
    That's incredible service by Manitou then! Awesome, I don't think many competitors would go through the trouble.

mtbr member
    That's incredible service by Manitou then! Awesome, I don't think many competitors would go through the trouble.
    Small companies like Manitou (or any of the companies in the Hayes component group) need to go a step above to try to please the customers. It's the only way to grow in a very competitive market.

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    If anyone is even interested in my outcome, ended up with 45psi with 2 tokens for just a little bit more sag (30mm vs 26) and the front now nicely matches the slightly progressive linkage and monarch R, using around 80% travel when pushing hard in the parking lot.
    Also I'm still sick but couldn't resist and went to check it out on trail... Man is it ever smooth, and I'm not even running any good oil or the new seals so it can be even better, it just eats all the bumps, even the big ones, with out using more than half the travel really, it's ridiculous how fast I can ride one perticular rooty section without feeling even a little out of control, it's in a totally different league than the 100mm Minute I have on my XC bike... Makes me want to look for rougher trails now, gotta go to the mountains sometime
    One thing I'm not so fond of is how well my Monarch shock came out, gives me no reason for buying the McLeod other than that the stanchion is a little worn already.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Yes a loose axle feels terrible.
    Hi Dougal, Manitou tested the fork and they said it was the head of the fork (crown?) that had a good amount of play. They will change it with the stanchions.
    The bushings were fine.

mtbr member
    After receiving my travel spacers, lowering my Mattoc to 140mm and installing it, I noticed that I have ~15mm of suck down. Is possible to have that much vacuum in the lowers, or is that more likely something with the negative chamber in the air spring?

I remember that I tightened the lower bolts with the fork mostly compressed. And it was late so I didn't get a change to crack the bolts to try to release any vacuum

damned rocks...
    Did you released the pump with the fork fully extended?
    When releasing the pump on a Manitou fork you have to make sure the fork is fully extended by pulling the lowers.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aglo View Post
    Did you released the pump with the fork fully extended?
    When releasing the pump on a Manitou fork you have to make sure the fork is fully extended by pulling the lowers.
    Thanks. I did not do that. Too used to the Mars Air system I guess, and just assumed that pumping it up would fully extend it and be enough. I will try that tonight

mtbr member
    May 2015
    What size tire can fit the non-boost Pro 2? I have 30mm inner width rims, thinking of tossing some rekons on there. They have 2.4 or 2.6. I'm thinking the 2.6 might be pushing it, but Maxxis usually measures smaller? 2.4 Rekons measured at 2.35 or so with 29mm wheels.

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Hello. Ive been trying to find a good deal on a 29er mattoc pro boost for my wife, but the deals I've found haven't been as good as the ones others find it seems.

I did come across this and was wondering what's the difference between it and the regular mattoc pro 2 and 3 that everyone is talking about?

https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/...l-boost-801392

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    That's not a pro but a comp version of the mattoc. I purchased the one from bike discount recently. It has abs+ instead of the mc2 damper and on the air spring side an IVA vs IRT that's on the pro.

Differences between pro 2 and 3 are the improved seals and standard installed irt on the 3 i believe.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Poprockz View Post
    Hello. Ive been trying to find a good deal on a 29er mattoc pro boost for my wife, but the deals I've found haven't been as good as the ones others find it seems.

I did come across this and was wondering what's the difference between it and the regular mattoc pro 2 and 3 that everyone is talking about?

Like good deals often do, you just have to be patient. From what I am hearing you may be better off getting the original holdover (more reliable) and getting a 100mm front wheel (unless of course she is on a plus bike). I bought an Expert for like $225 after the discounts, I love it. I have an original Pro for my 29+, of course that is known as the Magnum, may want to look for one of those, its my understanding its the same internals just original boost Mattic, but someone chime in if I am wrong. Here is a Mag in 100mm of travel, not as good of deal as I got, but not terrible either. Not sure if it can be made 120mm, I know mine couldn't, but it had the same bearing to axle distance as most 120mm forks, which kept the geo close even though I lost some travel, but it being a 29+ hardtail, 100mm was all I needed. https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/.../rp-prod157579

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Thanks for the replies, odd that it's the comp when it says pro on the description. Can the comp be made into the pro relatively cheaply?

Thanks for the help friends, also considering a suntour possibly.

My wife is 280 lbs ready to ride so needs a good stiff fork that's can be adjusted to her.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I have the Suntour Auron, excellent fork as well. Rented a bike with the Axon and it was fine, too. I'm sure you know to stay away from the lower end models.

damned rocks...
    Thanks for the replies, odd that it's the comp when it says pro on the description. Can the comp be made into the pro relatively cheaply?

Thanks for the help friends, also considering a suntour possibly.

My wife is 280 lbs ready to ride so needs a good stiff fork that's can be adjusted to her.
    No, the Comp can't be converted, the Expert could but they don't sell them anymore, now you only have the Comp and the Pro.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Anyone in Europe want to swap my QR 110 mm axle for their SL version? I don't like levers.

damned rocks...
    I think most people would do it the other way around, myself included .
    The only reason I'm yet to spend 30Ä on the SL version is because the QR works just fine.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Well quite, but it seems ****ing stupid having a 60 eur QR axle and then spending money on a 30 eur bolt through, when presumably there are at least a few strange people out there who take their wheels off all the time, have the SL, and balk even more at buying the QR.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I'm in the market for a Mattoc. I missed the deal on CRC for the Mattow Comp at around $230 (No longer in stock). Anyone know where else there's a good deal? Would prefer the Pro, but I'd consider the Comp or Expert as well. Something that could be adjusted to 140MM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Check German sites like bike24, bike-discount and similar, they often pop up at 300Ä for the pro 2014 version, bike 24 had them in stock just a week ago, now it's no longer avaible but I bet you they will be avaible again.
    Other than that check if there are no offers for used ones, as long as they are in good shape (no leaks, creaks and bushing play) I'd say they are an even better deal than new, because they are already checked for any potential factory defects

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by JcConnell View Post
    I'm in the market for a Mattoc. I missed the deal on CRC for the Mattow Comp at around $230 (No longer in stock). Anyone know where else there's a good deal? Would prefer the Pro, but I'd consider the Comp or Expert as well. Something that could be adjusted to 140MM.
    Expert or Pro doesn't matter much performance wise, but both are significantly better than the comp (which isn't bad, but the others just have much better dampers). I would personally always try to get the Expert or Pro.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Keep in mind that the comp also has different wall thickness stanchions, so you cant upgrade it to a pro level fork. The expert shares a chassis with the pro (or it used to, mullen or dougal can confirm if thats still the case) so you can always drop updated parts in if you find you want a performance upgrade.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Hi, does anybody have an image of the damper rod on a 2016 mattoc expert?
    I recently serviced mine and think I may have put the plastic spacer on the wrong way round but would like to see the correct way before I strip them down again. Or a description of which way it goes would be good also.

Any help or info is much appreciated.

Regards

Martyn.

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Damper rod has no plastic spacers on the assembly that I'm aware of, at least in the 2014 version. If there is one on yours, it's supposed to be facing upwards with the recess for the bottom out bumper, otherwise it's symmetrical.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    It has a spacer like the comp side but with an extra collar on one side. I'm not sure I've fitted it correctly. Would the collar side face up towards the top of the fork?

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Yes, the collar is supposed to face upwards, and on top of it is supposed to be a bottom out spacer, like on the spring side.

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Think of this way- the rubber piece is supposed to fit inside the collar.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Ok I think that's how I fitted it but I'll take the lowers off and check anyway.

Thanks for the reply.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Looking at all the service documentation it appears that most models don't have anything there, why is it needed on mine I wonder? Obviously it serves a purpose but what is it actually for.

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    From what I've seen- some of their AM forks have both, some only one (talking about minute and mattoc), some XC forks also have both, some only one (talking about skareb, r7, m30, marvel). Generally I'd say it's pretty random, depending on the year of manufacturing they have it or not.
    Imo unless you weigh a lot, remove the damper side one, it's not needed.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Yeah I'll give it a go. Thanks

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Can i fit any upgrades to my Mattoc Comp 2017 with black stanchions?

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Hi all.

Last week i've bought Mattoc Pro 2014 for a good price. I know this guy and he used this fork for 3-4 ride sessions only, the problem is he and i don't know how it was serviced.

My concern is HSC knob. It should have range of 5 clicks but i have only two noticable click positions from fully open, then it tightens to the point it's uncomfortable to turn it. So total range is about 50-60% of that from manual.

I haven't disassemble the fork completely because i'm waiting for fluids delivery, but checked oil level in damper and it's very low, not an issue, but tells a lot about the guy who serviced it at least twice(when it got delivered, and before owner sold it to me).

If you have any thoughts or advice, please share.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    one more question, i cant find any Travel change kits for my mattoc comp, is there any other kit that i can fit into my fork to make it drop from 160 to 140mm? For example i've hard about RS kit with some modification.
    Or does the IVA spacer kit also works as the travel change tokens in damper side?

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Why would you want to put any spacers on the damper side? Better see how the travel adjustment is done first, before you damage the fork. Manitou has a tutorial on YouTube, IVA spacers will work just fine, unless you use more than 2 then you don't have any spare

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Yeah i mean air shaft side, typo

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vvorth View Post
    Hi all.

Last week i've bought Mattoc Pro 2014 for a good price. I know this guy and he used this fork for 3-4 ride sessions only, the problem is he and i don't know how it was serviced.

My concern is HSC knob. It should have range of 5 clicks but i have only two noticable click positions from fully open, then it tightens to the point it's uncomfortable to turn it. So total range is about 50-60% of that from manual.

I haven't disassemble the fork completely because i'm waiting for fluids delivery, but checked oil level in damper and it's very low, not an issue, but tells a lot about the guy who serviced it at least twice(when it got delivered, and before owner sold it to me).

If you have any thoughts or advice, please share.
    It's normal to feel the adjuster start to get tight and the clicks start to fade. The hsc adjustment adds preload to the shim stack, the more preload, the harder it becomes to turn the adjuster.

If you have to turn the adjuster super hard, just to get a 3rd click, you may have an issue. There is no way to adjust the HSC adjusters range of preload officially, but you can work around it in .1mm increments by spacing the Piston down with 10mm OD shims. It should have very little or no float in the shim stack when the HSC is full soft. If it has excessive preload when full open, you won't get a full range of adjustment.

The mc2 damper is very sensitive to shim stack changes for this reason, and that's why there is no shim tuning guide for it.

The other option if you think there is an issue would be to contact [email protected] and have it looked at as a possible warranty claim.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shiremux View Post
    Yeah i mean air shaft side, typo
    If they didn't come in the box with the fork (they should have), email [email protected] and they should sent you a couple out.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by mullen119 View Post
    It's normal to feel the adjuster start to get tight and the clicks start to fade. The hsc adjustment adds preload to the shim stack, the more preload, the harder it becomes to turn the adjuster.

If you have to turn the adjuster super hard, just to get a 3rd click, you may have an issue. There is no way to adjust the HSC adjusters range of preload officially, but you can work around it in .1mm increments by spacing the Piston down with 10mm OD shims. It should have very little or no float in the shim stack when the HSC is full soft. If it has excessive preload when full open, you won't get a full range of adjustment.

The mc2 damper is very sensitive to shim stack changes for this reason, and that's why there is no shim tuning guide for it.

The other option if you think there is an issue would be to contact [email protected] and have it looked at as a possible warranty claim.
    Well, there is no third click at all, it's so tight at that moment, i can only turn it about half click further from the point thirg click should be - afraid it can be damaged.

But from your answer it looks like it was damaged(either by bad servicing or from factory). Don't think i would want HSC closed by the way, and since i'm in Uzbekistan it's probably easier to work it around myself.

I couldn't find disassembly/service instructions do you know if there are any available so i can check it from inside? Don't want to try without it since usually it's very tricky. Or at least tell me what to look at checking that 10mm shims preload while HSC is open.

Thank you for the info.

UPD:
    Took off mc2 cartridge - it's not that tight as when installed and i can definitely feel four clicks and it tightens up to fifth, so it's okay i guess =.)
    Last edited by vvorth; 03-13-2019 at 12:09 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Another question, sorry, not easy to find specific sizes:

My mattoc pro is 26 160, based on the box and serial number on fork and the box(i'm still on 26 inch wheels anyway, so i haven't checked type of HBO piston yet). But with pump attached i can only compess it to 150mm total(pulling legs down after compressing the fork and measuring distance to travel ring, btw there is about 20+mm of stancions left till crown).

On my air piston shaft there is a travel spacer right below the piston itself, i know that mattoc pro 26 supposed to be with this one if set up for 160mm of travel. But what i think is it can be air piston/shaft assembly from 27.5 version, so this spacer actually reduces 160 to 150. So here comes the question:

What are the measurements for both 26 and 27.5 air piston assembly? So i can check if it's one or another.

Or correct me if i'm wrong.

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    26" and 27,5" versions are exactly the same internally, just the upper csu is different (less offset on 26" version) so your bottom out must be a result of too much oil in the damper. If it's pro, it should be 77mm from top at full extension.
    ps. how do you check if it's originally 26 or 27,5"? I'm curious what offset does mine have.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    26" and 27,5" versions are exactly the same internally, just the upper csu is different (less offset on 26" version) so your bottom out must be a result of too much oil in the damper. If it's pro, it should be 77mm from top at full extension.
    ps. how do you check if it's originally 26 or 27,5"? I'm curious what offset does mine have.
    By checking the offset

Btw, the other difference between 26" and 27.5" is the default installed HBO cone. It can't hurt to check whether the correct one is installed.
    Also, the last couple mm of travel are hard to achieve because of the built-in bottoming prevention.

mtbr member
    So Manitou is teasing "an exciting new product line in a completely new category for Manitou"

Any idea what it is?
    It is the Right of the People to Alter or to Abolish It.

mtbr member
    So Manitou is teasing "an exciting new product line in a completely new category for Manitou"

Any idea what it is?
    Yes. But I can't say.

11th April isn't that far away.........
    www.dougal.co.nz

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Pro 26 160 - it's written on the original box. And i know it is its box because of S/N match.
    Level of oil is exactly 77mm.

About internals - in travel adjustment docs there are differences for mattoc 26 and mattoc 27.5. So i guessed that there were two versions - 26 covertable to 27.5 and pure 27.5(may be 2016 and later versions, when there is no stock 26 anymore).

UPD:
    You were right - air piston assy is the same, diffenence is only in position of travel spacers - 27.5 should have one next to valve and none below air piston itself to achieve 160mm. While 26 should have one below piston and non by the valve.
    Also empirically figured out why i have less travel - looks like my hbo piston/cone is for 27.5 and it's stops it 10mm earlier while that one travel spacer right below air piston should be moved down to valve, because in current case it is also reduces travel.
    Last edited by vvorth; 03-15-2019 at 07:48 AM.

mtbr member
    The long awaited 37mm stanchion fork maybe?

https://nsmb.com/articles/manitou-an...ting-comeback/

mtbr member

Any idea what it is?
    It's worth the wait.....

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Hi guys,

I'm trying to figure out what the heck is going on with the new mattoc pro fork i just received from Bike-discount.de - Specifically, it is this exact fork https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/...l-boost-801392

Measuring the stanchion length, it is 160mm, yet on the sticker (the one on the back) it says 120mm travel (maybe bottom-out occurs 3/4 of the way? Is this normal?). According to the sticker it is the pro version with dorado air and i can see the IVA on top - Yet there are no 'Pro' written next to the Mattoc stickers on the lower legs.

I called bike-discount to hear what i actually received. They were not so helpful and zero clue about anything. Then on to contacting Hayes, which says that the fork is definitely not an AM fork (which also explains why it didn't come in a box? but only bubble plastics..) - They say it is an OE fork, but what does this mean for me? The weight is 2160ish, Manitou notes 2033. Everything is a bit weird. You guys have any idea what is going on?

I'm wondering if i should return it...

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    It's not a pro, not standard pro at least. Might be just butted stanchions for example, but you have the less sofisticated abs+ damper, as for stanchions, someone said before "ruler doesn't lie, and that couldn't be any more true, but when measuring actual travel, not stanchion lenght, they are not really related.

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Maybe i haven't done my research properly. So where do i stand right now?

Dorado air from a pro version, abs+ from a comp and IVA from a comp?

I'm new in building/upgrading bikes and parts, so any advice is appreciated!

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    I mean you bought an oem fork with abs+ and dorado air, and that's exactly what you got. Still a great fork, but might not be what you wanted.

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    I just expected it to be the PRO version, since it's in the name of the item... I'm sure it will fit my needs just fine. However, i don't want to pay 350 euro for a fork that is occasionally between 250-270 euro on bike24. I suppose this is comparable with the one i've got then https://www.bike24.com/1.php?content...0;pgc=0;page=7

I'll probably try call bike-discount again and attempt negotiate the price.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble112 View Post
    I just expected it to be the PRO version, since it's in the name of the item... I'm sure it will fit my needs just fine. However, i don't want to pay 350 euro for a fork that is occasionally between 250-270 euro on bike24. I suppose this is comparable with the one i've got then https://www.bike24.com/1.php?content...0;pgc=0;page=7

I'll probably try call bike-discount again and attempt negotiate the price.
    In bike-discount description it clearly says that fork comes with abs+ damper. IMO it's the issue of bike-discount assigning it wrong name in their catalog.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    I'm looking for a coil shock with good weight for pedaling and climb switch.
    I will wait until April...they wrote they have a new product line so i hope they have a new shock as well!

Short-Change-Hero
    Yup, seen the advertisements all over Instagram for 4.11.19 that Manitou J-Unit, which says it is a New Product Line. Looks like this may be something completely separate from all current offerings. The advert shows the silhouette of a fork so we can assume that it is at least a new fork coming.

mtbr member
    Yes. But I can't say.

11th April isn't that far away.........
    It's worth the wait.....

You guys are killing me! Will be very interesting - as long as it is not a Manitou e-bike!

mtbr member
    You guys are killing me! Will be very interesting - as long as it is not a Manitou e-bike!
    Linkage fork

Short-Change-Hero
    Linkage fork
    No it is a new Coil sprung Air fork that gender identifies as a Linkage fork.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gregnash View Post
    No it is a new Coil sprung Air fork that gender identifies as a Linkage fork.
    Hahahaha

mtbr member
    Linkage fork
    I would buy that so fast.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    If it is a longer travel and bigger stanchion version of the mattoc pro than I want one.
    Can we pre order?

mtbr member
    Yeah, I think I found it.

Manitou Mattoc-p5pb16086896.jpg

Sign me up.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	p5pb16086896.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	202.5 KB 
ID:	1242630

Sign me up.

I've actually tried that fork. The lack of brake dive is amazing but the tuning for it is a bit crap. Far too expensive as well.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	p5pb16086896.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	202.5 KB 
ID:	1242630

Sign me up.
    I hope it's not this. What fender do I have to run wit that!?

Maybe a dual crown enduro fork like the MRP Barlet, but than better.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thova View Post
    I hope it's not this. What fender do I have to run wit that!?

Maybe a dual crown enduro fork like the MRP Barlet, but than better.

Yeah, my post was a joke. Not sure what it is but I am pretty sure it won't be that!

Short-Change-Hero
    Damn.. wish I was going to Sea Otter this year as I bet Manitou/Hayes will have whatever the new line is on display.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Does anyone want a single 5mm air spring spacer for a Mattoc?
    It will make your travel 155mm or 145mm or 135mm, etc combined normal 10mm spacers.
    I 3d printed one, tried it and went back to 160mm travel.
    No charge, just let me know where to send it.
    Last edited by ac1000; 03-18-2019 at 04:15 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Just wanted to give a very short ride report on my wifes' Expert to pro conversion including, high flow piston and Corex 5cst from Shockcraft.

Before I never really could get her fork to work properly for her weight. Changing the compression tune, low friction seals. Nothing really improved the fork to a good level. Well the above conversion proofed the ticket. She's very happy how the fork works now.

So anyone looking at improving the small bump sensitivity of their Mattoc expert, I would seriously look at converting it to pro with the high flow piston.

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    I see some mattoc pros on sale at crc for 239. Are these the real deal or is some feature missing on them? I figure they are oe but Just wanting to check.

Also do the 27.5+ take 29ers?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    It's probably real. Apparently they don't sell many 120mm 27.5+ forks. Do be aware that sometimes they mess up the description, but in those cases you can send it back and get refunded.

mtbr member
    Just wanted to give a very short ride report on my wifes' Expert to pro conversion including, high flow piston and Corex 5cst from Shockcraft.

Before I never really could get her fork to work properly for her weight. Changing the compression tune, low friction seals. Nothing really improved the fork to a good level. Well the above conversion proofed the ticket. She's very happy how the fork works now.

So anyone looking at improving the small bump sensitivity of their Mattoc expert, I would seriously look at converting it to pro with the high flow piston.
    Great to hear. The expert rebound piston created a significant amount of damping on compression, which you couldn't tune out. It's not a problem for standard size riders. But the lighter or less aggressive riders run out of tuning options.

The pro conversion means the shaft is a bigger % of the piston area so less oil needs to go through the piston. Combined with the high flow piston it means we can reduce that damping side effect to levels that are managable even for very light riders.

They get ride quality back, the pressure gradients in the damper are correct and the damping adjusters become usable again.
    www.dougal.co.nz

mtbr member
    I see some mattoc pros on sale at crc for 239. Are these the real deal or is some feature missing on them? I figure they are oe but Just wanting to check.

27.5+ accepts 29" wheels

Appears to be real. Stickers in the pics make it look like it's a OEM takeoff

damned rocks...
    Yes the 27.5+ take a 29er without a problem.

Enviado do meu Nexus 5 atravťs do Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Have been looking at the same fork as well - shipping charges are through the roof, though, which might explain why they haven't sold. Emailed and it sounded like there might have been an issue with the dimensions for the box they have in their system that was preventing it from qualifying for free shipping. Was told it might be fixed in the next day or so.

Anyone have any idea what the tire clearance is for 27.5+ on these? Looking for something that can run 27.5x3.0.

What's the warranty going to be like if these are oem takeoffs as speculated?

Short-Change-Hero
    With Manitou releasing a new product line on 4.11 (J Unit) they are probably clearancing out old stock on everything. This would explain the cheap prices seen everywhere.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    What year is that Mattoc Pro on CRC? That's a huge discount. Is there a good reason to go with an alternate year or model of the Mattoc?

@gregnash, where else are you seeing deals? I'd like to compare.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    What year is that Mattoc Pro on CRC? That's a huge discount. Is there a good reason to go with an alternate year or model of the Mattoc?

@gregnash, where else are you seeing deals? I'd like to compare.
    My best guess is possibly 2016 -- if you do a Google Shopping search, the listing for CRC comes up with 2016 in the title, but not on the product page.

Land of the 230+
    Are you guys seeing $170 shipping fee from CRC? WTF?!? I can understand having to get rid of the free option, but $170 seems outrageous!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitsBoy View Post
    Are you guys seeing $170 shipping fee from CRC? WTF?!? I can understand having to get rid of the free option, but $170 seems outrageous!
    See a few posts back -- they apparently have the dimensions for the box wrong in their system, which is making the site flag it as not eligible for free shipping.

When I asked their customer service via email, they said it'll be fixed in the next day or so.

Someone else on Reddit called & was told they could order over the phone or wait for it to get fixed and order from the site (they were told Thursday for the fix).

Land of the 230+
    Not sure how I missed that. I searched the page for 170 and shipping, but must have fat fingered it. How I overlooked it, I have no idea! I guess I was fixated on the number instead. Thanks for knocking some sense into me. Bet they sell out fast once they fix it!

mtbr member
    They probably have some of the shipping dimensions entered wrong for the moment, because it shows up as "bulky tracked delivery" and forks from CRC don't ever show up in that category. Any other fork currently on CRC shows up as "standard delivery" and qualifies for free shipping

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    FYI -- I did some playing around with quantity in the cart and it looks like there are 244 in stock.

Land of the 230+
    Quote Originally Posted by TimTucker View Post
    FYI -- I did some playing around with quantity in the cart and it looks like there are 244 in stock.
    242 in stock the second they fix the shipping issue!

Thanks for the info! Puts me at ease.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    So that 27.5 boost fork on chain reaction can handle 29er wheels? I wonder what the axel to crown length is? I also wonder how much you can increase the travel on it, if at all? And is it easy to change the travel if possible?

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I think the 120MM options can be switched to 140MM. A bit further up it states that 27.5+ can handle 29 as well. I can't find the A-C measurements, but I'd like them as well.

Land of the 230+
    I have the magnum 27.5+ fork which I believe is identical aside from the name change. The 120 is indeed adjustable to 140mm by removing spacers, and if I recall, Dougal has modified these to 150mm by trimming down a non-removable spacer.

I can also vouch for the fork fitting a 29x2.35 nobby nic, though I much prefer the 27.5x3.0s on my bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Wiggle have them too, with a bit more info. Offset is listed at 44mm and they seem to have IRT by the look of it.

What bits need changing to make these 160mm if that's at all possible?

Land of the 230+
    Quote Originally Posted by Boom King View Post
    Wiggle have them too, with a bit more info. Offset is listed at 44mm and they seem to have IRT by the look of it.

What bits need changing to make these 160mm if that's at all possible?
    Description looks off. I think those specs are from the normal 160mm boost mattoc pro, not the 27.5+. Most notably the weight is off. But awesome find, since the shipping is free!

I dont think youll be able to extend the 27.5+ version out to 160. Without serious hacking and modification, 140mm is the max I believe.

Here's some more info on it:
    https://manitoumtb.com/product/mattoc-2/?cat_id=23

Should be 2033g weight, 48mm offset, 120-140 travel and 531mm axle-crown (@120 travel)

Anyway, this is a really good deal. Even more smokin' if it includes the IRT. I picked one up as a spare. Use coupon code NEWUS to bring the price down to $219.98 if its a new account. Also, befrugal has 2% cash back if that's your thing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Wait it's possible to make this 150mm with some ingenuity? Where can I read about this? Was that in this thread?

150mm is exactly what I'm looking for. Very interesting.

Short-Change-Hero
    Quote Originally Posted by richulr View Post
    Wait it's possible to make this 150mm with some ingenuity? Where can I read about this? Was that in this thread?

150mm is exactly what I'm looking for. Very interesting.
    If you are talking about extending the travel of the Magnum to be 150mm then you need to talk to @dougal as he is the master that has come up with such items. He has given some information as to what is needed further back in the thread, basically it is a custom top-out bumper if I remember correctly.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Looks like CRC reduced their shipping from $170 to $43 this morning. The Wiggle find is much better. Thank you, I ordered one!

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    How much room was there with the 29x2.35? Do you think most 29x2.4 would fit?

Land of the 230+
    How much room was there with the 29x2.35? Do you think most 29x2.4 would fit?
    I would think so. Looks to be about 10mm arch clearance with the 2.35s, though I haven't tested A-C. https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...ZLxUHH5OBYqeEw
    Last edited by GuitsBoy; 03-27-2019 at 02:13 PM.

damned rocks...
    I run a Magic Mary 2.35" 29er on a Magnum, no problem with clearance.

Land of the 230+
    And they look to be all sold out on CRC or wiggle (same inventory I'm sure). Wow, that went pretty fast if it really was 244 units.

I just really hope it was a genuine PRO model, since the picture looks like an ABS+ damper and a regular air chamber top cap.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Mine should arrive Monday. How can I confirm it is what it said it is?

Land of the 230+
    Mine should arrive Monday. How can I confirm it is what it said it is?
    Look for HBO on the damper, and hopefully IRT on the top of the air chamber. There are more differences, but I'm not sure theyre verifyable externally.

Land of the 230+
    Looks like the first review was posted to CRC claiming these to be a 27.5 COMP model and not a 27.5+ PRO model. MC2 and IRT are notably lacking. Pics included in the review.

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/...rod185732?gs=1

Should be an easy return due to incorrect / faulty item. Sucks that we'll probably have to go through the hassle of sending it back, but for the money it was worth rolling the dice. Bummer.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    I was the reddit guy who said they ordered one over the phone. ( which they did with free shipping )

Mine did get shipped, but now getting really worried/confused over what the hell i actually ordered?

Currently I run a Suntour XCR Air 32 ( stock on my Raleigh Tokul 3 ) and was hoping for a cheap upgrade.

I'm mostly a road guy, and don't know too much about forks.

Really a bummer if I have to return it because it doesn't fit ( all at my expense )

Guess i'll update when mine comes in. ( shipped from the netherlands? )

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Well, the Mattoc Comp still IS a cheap upgrade, with a much better damper (the XCR doesn't even have adjustable compression damping if I'm not mistaken) and chassis (34mm vs 32mm stanchions). However, the Mattoc Pro with MC2 damper is vastly better again.
    I would seriously consider buying a good 2.5 or 2.6 tire to complete the cheap upgrade.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    That would probably work, but if the fork can't take 2.8-3.0 tires, then its a hard pass for me. I specifically bought 27.5 plus due to me not being happy with some of the more narrow tired bikes I've tried before.

I'd rather return and buy a proper 27.5+ fork for the price of this one and an expensive new tire.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Fair enough.
    Some well known German sites sell the Mattoc 27.5+"/29" 100mm Boost with Dorado Air spring incl. IVA and ABS+ damper for $300 and the 120mm for $425 shipped to the US.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Guessing they blocked sales due to reports of an incorrect listing rather than that it sold out.

Most items that sell out show as "out of stock" vs the "currently unavailable" message on the fork page now. Pretty sure that's the same message that shows if you go to a Shimano product page from the US.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    I too was one of the poor sap's who fell for the great deal.

Currently running a Rockshox Recon on my Hawk Hill 2 and getting a lot of of flex when pushing it hard and unable to dial the pressure in properly for my size (270 fully loaded). Hopped on this deal and instead of receiving a fork I somehow received a set of carbon road wheels. Currently waiting for CRC to confirm their error but at this point I just want a full refund given the fact that it appears the fork is the comp and not the pro model.

mtbr member
    Guessing they blocked sales due to reports of an incorrect listing rather than that it sold out.

Most items that sell out show as "out of stock" vs the "currently unavailable" message on the fork page now. Pretty sure that's the same message that shows if you go to a Shimano product page from the US.
    Sucks that the listing is wrong. The pics do show a comp.

That said, the Mattoc comp is a really good fork. I have been on one for the last 8 months testing a few revisions and it performs just as good as a pro (minus the adjustable IRT spring). It just lacks the external adjustability, but the same features are there (HBO, dorado air, shimmed damper). I could argue the LSC adjustment is superior with the abs+ damper.

Imo, when the site corrects the specs, it's a worthy upgrade over most forks on the market.

mtbr member
    The original pictures/AD that did not have much information show the PRO version.

Also current AD states it has all the PRO adjustments!!

"Adjustments: Low-speed Compression; Damping High-speed Compression Damping; Hydraulic Bottom Out; Rebound Damping; Beginning-stroke Air Pressure; Middle/End-stroke Air Pressure"

I am pissed I ordered one yesterday and it has already shipped, so too late to cancel and going to have to return.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011

That said, the Mattoc comp is a really good fork. I have been on one for the last 8 months testing a few revisions and it performs just as good as a pro (minus the adjustable IRT spring). It just lacks the external adjustability, but the same features are there (HBO, dorado air, shimmed damper). I could argue the LSC adjustment is superior with the abs+ damper.

Imo, when the site corrects the specs, it's a worthy upgrade over most forks on the market.
    The bigger issue to me is I'm building up a bike for my wife and already have 27.5x3.0 tires mounted on i40 rims waiting to go. If it's not a 27.5+ fork as described, it does me no good.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jixr View Post
    That would probably work, but if the fork can't take 2.8-3.0 tires, then its a hard pass for me. I specifically bought 27.5 plus due to me not being happy with some of the more narrow tired bikes I've tried before.

I'd rather return and buy a proper 27.5+ fork for the price of this one and an expensive new tire.
    One of my mates is running a 2.8" DHF in a 170mm Mattoc Pro Boost. It's beyond Manitou's recommendations (2.6" max which I run) but he's had no issues.

It basically halves your safety margin.

3.0" is out of the question. I'm very happy with 2.6".
    www.dougal.co.nz

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by In2falling View Post
    The original pictures/AD that did not have much information show the PRO version.

Also current AD states it has all the PRO adjustments!!

"Adjustments: Low-speed Compression; Damping High-speed Compression Damping; Hydraulic Bottom Out; Rebound Damping; Beginning-stroke Air Pressure; Middle/End-stroke Air Pressure"

I am pissed I ordered one yesterday and it has already shipped, so too late to cancel and going to have to return.

The bigger issue to me is I'm building up a bike for my wife and already have 27.5x3.0 tires mounted on i40 rims waiting to go. If it's not a 27.5+ fork as described, it does me no good.
    Completely understand, im not defending a website for mislabeling a product. Sucks for all the people who bought them and have to deal with the hassle of sending them back.

My point in my previous post is not about making them work for you guys. I am just pointing out that the comp is still a very good fork and when they get labeled correctly, they are still a steal at that price for those who can actually use them.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Mine arrived today.

ABS+ on the damper. IVR on the other side. Sticker says Dorado Air on the back. What did I just get?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    New model Comp

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tdaniel93 View Post
    I too was one of the poor sap's who fell for the great deal.

Currently running a Rockshox Recon on my Hawk Hill 2 and getting a lot of of flex when pushing it hard and unable to dial the pressure in properly for my size (270 fully loaded). Hopped on this deal and instead of receiving a fork I somehow received a set of carbon road wheels. Currently waiting for CRC to confirm their error but at this point I just want a full refund given the fact that it appears the fork is the comp and not the pro model.
    Heck, for your inconvenience - you should just sell the carbon wheels and buy the fork you want. Seriously, this happens a lot with CRC. A friend ordered a groupset and brakes...he received a frame. I've read other instances of this happening too.

Sounds like CRC is going to be receiving a bunch of returns.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Well, it wasn't what I ordered but I could make it work. I've reached out to Wiggle to see what they can do. I would consider a partial refund if that ends up being an option.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by kwapik View Post
    Heck, for your inconvenience - you should just sell the carbon wheels and buy the fork you want. Seriously, this happens a lot with CRC. A friend ordered a groupset and brakes...he received a frame. I've read other instances of this happening too.

Sounds like CRC is going to be receiving a bunch of returns.
    I've certainly considered it, legally I can do whatever I want with them but morally I wouldn't feel great about holding on to and selling a set of $550 carbon clinchers. Still waiting on CRC's response to my return as they said they're "checking their stock" to verify the error.

mtbr member
    Mine arrived today.

ABS+ on the damper. IVR on the other side. Sticker says Dorado Air on the back. What did I just get?
    You got an OEM spec Comp fork. It could be built to whatever spec the OEM wanted.
    www.dougal.co.nz

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Mine arrived today.

can you confirm if it fits 27.5+ wheels or not?

mtbr member
    can you confirm if it fits 27.5+ wheels or not?
    Manitou Mattoc-15540568969178639738914091252563.jpg

Manitou Mattoc-15540569953577459371297389775443.jpg

For everyone reference, the 27.5+/29 model has a smaller, more rounded arch (top pic) and the 27.5 has a larger, flatter arch (bottom pic)

This is only true for the newer boost models. Older 27.5 forks share the same small arch as the 27.5+

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Here's an image I grabbed for Wiggle. Doesn't look like 27.5"+ according to the post above.

https://imgur.com/a/NR7Mlpz

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Ok, been riding the Mattoc Pro since last summer. Thinking I should go ahead and do a service as it's never been opened, plus I need to install IRT anyway.

Didn't find a service schedule. Checked out the service video but that's quite a bit. What is recommended I do?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Mine came in. Took it to the shop. It fits 275 x2.8 just fine and has travel adjust to 170! I set mine at 160 and it has just under 550 axle to crown.

^ what a guy on reddit told me this morning.

Starting to bring back some hope that this fork will fit my bike. No eta on a delivery date for me though, shipping from the netherlands for some reason.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Oh the video is already pretty thorough. Just wondering when to do the various services? I'm not servicing the damper every 6 months am I? or should I?

mtbr member
    Here's an image I grabbed for Wiggle. Doesn't look like 27.5"+ according to the post above.

https://imgur.com/a/NR7Mlpz
    That's the Mattoc Comp Boost. Fits 27x2.6". The webbed arch has only been used on the non plus boost fork and the Mastodon.

You've got the ABS+ damper.
    www.dougal.co.nz

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Thanks for the info. Doesn't look like Wiggle will give any concessions - no replacement, no partial refund. They'll accept a return at no cost to me. I understand where they're coming though so I'm not disappointed at all.

That being said, what's the value of the fork that I have? Is it worth $220? More? Could an MC2 damper be installed?

The next fork will replace an ABS+ Manitou Tower Pro 29. I've enjoyed the fork and it's been relentless but I was really excited at the idea of some extra adjustment. Just trying to decide whether to return and keep looking or just enjoy.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    post from someone in reddit, that 2.8 tire looks super tight

https://i.redd.it/o74znjmb9xp21.jpg

https://www.reddit.com/r/MTB/comment...m_recent_sale/

mtbr member
    post from someone in reddit, that 2.8 tire looks super tight

https://i.redd.it/o74znjmb9xp21.jpg

https://www.reddit.com/r/MTB/comment...m_recent_sale/
    Need a front-on shot to know.

A mate runs DHF 2.8 in the Pro version (same lower legs) with no issues. I run a DHF 2.6 with the new mudguard which reduces clearance: https://www.instagram.com/p/BvsQjPbnoO4/
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BvcXOmcFmj8/
    www.dougal.co.nz

mtbr member
    Oct 2015

Any idea what it is?
    The photos of dougals bike with a blurred out rear shock makes me think it might be a new rear shock? Perhaps something with a piggy back, if the pixelated blur is speaking to me the right way.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info. Doesn't look like Wiggle will give any concessions - no replacement, no partial refund. They'll accept a return at no cost to me. I understand where they're coming though so I'm not disappointed at all.

That being said, what's the value of the fork that I have? Is it worth $220? More? Could an MC2 damper be installed?

The next fork will replace an ABS+ Manitou Tower Pro 29. I've enjoyed the fork and it's been relentless but I was really excited at the idea of some extra adjustment. Just trying to decide whether to return and keep looking or just enjoy.
    Comp forks have softer aluminium stanchions with thicker walls. So you can't just drop the MC^2 dampers in.

ABS+ is still no slouch. But you've got more weight from the heavier stanchions and more oil in the damper.
    www.dougal.co.nz

Land of the 230+
    I'm on the fence about keeping the mattoc comp as well. For me, its not so much the weight of the comp, but the lack of IRT. I really fell in love with the IRT and after much tweaking found fantastic small bump compliance yet plenty of support. I have a mattoc pro without the IRT on another bike and I just cant get the same winning combo. I've seen at least one account of the IRT installed on a comp, but I'm not convinced it wasn't actually an expert instead of a comp. The official word is that the IRT wont fit the comp.

mtbr member
    I'm on the fence about keeping the mattoc comp as well. For me, its not so much the weight of the comp, but the lack of IRT. I really fell in love with the IRT and after much tweaking found fantastic small bump compliance yet plenty of support. I have a mattoc pro without the IRT on another bike and I just cant get the same winning combo. I've seen at least one account of the IRT installed on a comp, but I'm not convinced it wasn't actually an expert instead of a comp. The official word is that the IRT wont fit the comp.
    I am returning the falsely advertised Mattoc to CRC today and keeping my Pike.

Bike-Discount selling the same 27.5 fork CRC falsely advertised along with what looks like same fork in 27.5+/29 version.

27.5+/29

https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/...l-boost-802112