Manitou Black: Leaking Air.............- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Manitou Black: Leaking Air.............

Hi,

I just bought a Manitou Black Super Air (80mm travel, SPV). I just put it on and found that it leaks air.

After a bit of investigation I found out what I think is the problem. The stem in the Shrader valve for the air chamber is just a little bit long it seems. I think that what is happening is that when you screw the cap back on the valve, the top of the cap pushes down the valve stem and releases the air.

I am glad that it is not more serious than this (or so I it seems).

Has anyone else had this problem?

I am assume that this part can be swapped out pretty easy.

thanks

Matt

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bowler1
    Hi,

I just bought a Manitou Black Super Air (80mm travel, SPV). I just put it on and found that it leaks air.

After a bit of investigation I found out what I think is the problem. The stem in the Shrader valve for the air chamber is just a little bit long it seems. I think that what is happening is that when you screw the cap back on the valve, the top of the cap pushes down the valve stem and releases the air.

I am glad that it is not more serious than this (or so I it seems).

Has anyone else had this problem?

I am assume that this part can be swapped out pretty easy.

thanks

Matt
    can you hear any air leak out when you screw the cap back on? It could be coming out when you take your shock pump off. Some shock pumps work better than others interms of releasing air when removing them. Also when you put the shock pump back on, it IS going to show a lower air pressure than what was in there because air has gone into the shock pump hose and pressurized it.

Does it feel like the shock is losing air over time, like it gets really soft?

Call Answer products. on the phone, you can email but it may take longer to get a response. Leave a message, and call back. They will take care of you. They may require you to work through a dealer.

The online service manuals show you schematics.

mtbr member

two things to try

Remove the entire airvalve cap assembly,and check to see that the air piston is covered in oil, They recomend at least 2cc of oil on top of the piston. Secondly replace the o-ring on the cap assembly. You should find one at either home depot ot lowes. This cured my leaks that were there since new. jim

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

You can hear it...........

You can hear it leak out when you put the cap on. It basically loses all its air---goes from 130 to about 40 pounds. Sometimes this happens taking the pump valve off as well.

I have emailed Answer about it and they said they are going to send me a replacement valve. I think that the stem is just too long on it and is being pushed in and releasing air.

We'll see if the replacement valve works---I certainly hope so. It seems like it is going to be a great fork if I can get it to hold air!

Matt