manitou 3 way on a heckler? any experiances?- Mtbr.com
    fraid of heights

manitou 3 way on a heckler? any experiances?

Heya,
    I am wanting to try out an air shock on my Heckler, but I don't want to give up my .6 inches of travel going to a 2.0 inch stroke shock. ( I've got a Romic on there now )

I would love to get the 4 way, but reading the forum's I saw that Manitou only does the 2.25 stroke 4way's for OEM's. So the odds of finding one are small...

But the 7.785 x 2.25 3 ways are out there so I was wondering if anyone else has tried out this set up on their Heckler?

Thanks

MK_
    carpe mañana
    Quote Originally Posted by stiingya
    Heya,
    I am wanting to try out an air shock on my Heckler, but I don't want to give up my .6 inches of travel going to a 2.0 inch stroke shock. ( I've got a Romic on there now )

I would love to get the 4 way, but reading the forum's I saw that Manitou only does the 2.25 stroke 4way's for OEM's. So the odds of finding one are small...

But the 7.785 x 2.25 3 ways are out there so I was wondering if anyone else has tried out this set up on their Heckler?

Thanks
    TNC should have an opinion here, also check this thread and this one.

_MK

"The things you get fired for when you’re young are the same things you get Lifetime Achievements for when you’re old."

fraid of heights
    Quote Originally Posted by MK_
    TNC should have an opinion here, also check this thread and this one.

_MK
    Thanks,
    Interesting reading, but I didn't really get the answer to my question about the 3-way.

So, BUMP, anybody mounted a 3 way on their heckler? I have the 3 way on my VT and love it. But it's being run off of a shock linkage/swing link to somewhat change the rate of the shock. So that experiance doesn't really give me much help with how it would be mounted on my heckler. ( too bad the I to I distance isn't the same )

Anyway, it looks like the DHX air is probably the best bet since I wouldn't loose that extra 43mm's of travel. But I think if I find a deal on a 3-way I may have to give it a try...

Thanks for any experiance with this question!!!

Jun 2003

Well...

The 3 way is missing a big adjustment (bottom out) if you are planning on it going on a single pivot bike. However, I am not sure that the DHX Air is the right way to go either. (they seem to not be doing very well on sp bikes so far.)

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

I have tried the 4 way

I know you are asking about the 3, but the 4 works really well on the Heckler. You have the bottom out control on the 4 way with the SPV chamber pressure.

I have ridden my Heckler for 3 years with the 5th. I have only had the 2" stroke so I cannot tell you the difference for that. I had a 4 way sitting around and reciently installed it and here is some feedback.

You will loose nearly a pound in weight. Now the biggest thing I feel with this is where the weight is lost. Kind of high on the bike. It felt a little lighter handeling and quicker to steer to me.

On the small bump to medium hit stuff I think It was much more lively feeling. You need to run it a little high in the sag setting. (@ 20%) In the 30% range it felt a little sloppy and kind of wallowed around in the travel. Much better with less sag...

I have never felt the thing bottom out harshly like I have with other air shocks I have ridden (Cane Creek, FOX Brain). It runs the bottom out like the 5th. Just ramps up and gives a firm feel at the end. I am not a big hucker, just like to mash the thing through rocks and aggressive trail riding.

IMO I like the air shock on my bike. I cannot tell too much difference between it and my 5th except for the more active/lively feeling over the coil. I will keep it on there because I like the ride it offers over the coil and save the coil for a spare. I honestly didn't think I would like the 4 way on my bike due to the falling rate design but with a little tinkering on the shock I can say I really do like it. I have a friend who rides a Turner 5 Spot and we trade off when riding often. I like the 5 Spot a lot... but not as much as the Heckler... especially now with the shock change.

I ride a 03, XL Heckler, I weigh around 200 lbs.

Shock set up is 110 PSI in the main chamber allowing 20% sag. I run 110 in the SPV shamber with the chamber 1 turn in from full open. Works for me!!! Hope this helps.

fraid of heights
    Quote Originally Posted by texheckler
    I know you are asking about the 3, but the 4 works really well on the Heckler. You have the bottom out control on the 4 way with the SPV chamber pressure.

I have ridden my Heckler for 3 years with the 5th. I have only had the 2" stroke so I cannot tell you the difference for that. I had a 4 way sitting around and reciently installed it and here is some feedback.

You will loose nearly a pound in weight. Now the biggest thing I feel with this is where the weight is lost. Kind of high on the bike. It felt a little lighter handeling and quicker to steer to me.

On the small bump to medium hit stuff I think It was much more lively feeling. You need to run it a little high in the sag setting. (@ 20%) In the 30% range it felt a little sloppy and kind of wallowed around in the travel. Much better with less sag...

I have never felt the thing bottom out harshly like I have with other air shocks I have ridden (Cane Creek, FOX Brain). It runs the bottom out like the 5th. Just ramps up and gives a firm feel at the end. I am not a big hucker, just like to mash the thing through rocks and aggressive trail riding.

IMO I like the air shock on my bike. I cannot tell too much difference between it and my 5th except for the more active/lively feeling over the coil. I will keep it on there because I like the ride it offers over the coil and save the coil for a spare. I honestly didn't think I would like the 4 way on my bike due to the falling rate design but with a little tinkering on the shock I can say I really do like it. I have a friend who rides a Turner 5 Spot and we trade off when riding often. I like the 5 Spot a lot... but not as much as the Heckler... especially now with the shock change.

I ride a 03, XL Heckler, I weigh around 200 lbs.

Shock set up is 110 PSI in the main chamber allowing 20% sag. I run 110 in the SPV shamber with the chamber 1 turn in from full open. Works for me!!! Hope this helps.

Cool, thanks for your experience. I know this is stupid, but I want the full travel that the longer stroke shock provides. And I think "if" you can get a 2.25" stroke 4-way that fits a heckler it is only an OEM item. Though I have yet to find the bike that is sold with it?

Hence it may just be an urban bike myth.

I have heard very contradicting veiws on the DHX air shock. It's getting both love and hate. But it really makes you wonder if the haters are setting up the shock correctly? Or if there was just a bad production run since there pretty new? It seem to me there were alot of 5th ellement and swinger haters when they first came out too...?

Thanks

Jun 2003

Perhaps.

Quote Originally Posted by stiingya
    Cool, thanks for your experience. I know this is stupid, but I want the full travel that the longer stroke shock provides. And I think "if" you can get a 2.25" stroke 4-way that fits a heckler it is only an OEM item. Though I have yet to find the bike that is sold with it?

Hence it may just be an urban bike myth.

I have heard very contradicting veiws on the DHX air shock. It's getting both love and hate. But it really makes you wonder if the haters are setting up the shock correctly? Or if there was just a bad production run since there pretty new? It seem to me there were alot of 5th ellement and swinger haters when they first came out too...?

Thanks

I am basing my info from a thread that I saw from Tscheezy, a well known Turner Homer, and an Alaskan to boot.

He has tested more products than almost anyone, and he was having issues with the DHX Air, ass far as that goes. In that case, I am positive that setup was a non-issue.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Understand...

I work with TNC.. and we play the shock/fork game everyday. I would put his toy pile up against just about anyones.

He has A DHX-A and it was on the bike a day and locked down. He is also toying with the set up. It is so different from the 4-way.

I am just saying once the bugs are worked out the AHX-A will be a great shock.

BTW... I am not a FOX fan at all. I had a Vanella and it didn't work for me. I do not like the TALAS on the 36 either. However the coil 36 rocks!

Members who have read this thread: 0