mtbr member
    Apr 2017

Maintaining a '99 Stumpjumper - rear shock issue

Hi

So after facing the fact that this old 26er is worth more to me than I can sell it for, I'm feeling more inclined to keep it. The one area where I'm concerned, insofar as parts availability, is the rear shock.

This was old fox vanilla air in 6.5 x 1.5. I actually ordered a rock shox monarch in 6.5 x 1.5 thinking I could swap it out, only to find that it was too wide at the rear pivot point. See pic

hell, I can't even get seals for this thing. what are my options for the rear shock? Everything else is pretty much easily replaceable.

thx
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Maintaining a '99 Stumpjumper - rear shock issue-img_2407.jpg  

Pro Crastinator
    your shock should fit, you likely need different DU bushings

No known cure
    Swap the fox bushings over to the RS shock.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    alright so I re-attached the picture with some markups.

The total distance inside is 1-1/8". The part protruding from the piston body is 1/2" and the two sides of the swing arm are 3/8"

I actually returned the rock shox shock but let's say it was 5/8" wide. So then it wouldn't fit in-between the two sides of the swing arm.

The DU bushing, from what I understand, is only what fits inside the piston at the pivot area and would not do anything to make it any narrower.

If I am terribly mis-interpreting something, I'd love to be pointed to the Sheldon Brown equivalent of rear shocks if such a thing exists (I couldn't find it, at least not with the anatomical drawings I'm looking for). But from a simple geometry perspective, I fail to see it.

Thanks for your help
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Maintaining a '99 Stumpjumper - rear shock issue-img_2407.jpg  

mtbr member
    I would start by reaching out to Specialized and to Fox to see what they say.
    If anyone else in the world has a solution for you, it's these folks: https://www.enduroforkseals.com/prod...-bearing-kits/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hman0217 View Post
    alright so I re-attached the picture with some markups.

The total distance inside is 1-1/8". The part protruding from the piston body is 1/2" and the two sides of the swing arm are 3/8"

I actually returned the rock shox shock but let's say it was 5/8" wide. So then it wouldn't fit in-between the two sides of the swing arm.

The DU bushing, from what I understand, is only what fits inside the piston at the pivot area and would not do anything to make it any narrower.

If I am terribly mis-interpreting something, I'd love to be pointed to the Sheldon Brown equivalent of rear shocks if such a thing exists (I couldn't find it, at least not with the anatomical drawings I'm looking for). But from a simple geometry perspective, I fail to see it.

Thanks for your help
    Those pieces you have marked with the (3/8) are replaceable and come in different "thicknesses", such as 5mm, 10mm, 3/8", 1/4", etc.
    How can anyone who's been riding as long as I have, be so slow???

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock View Post
    Those pieces you have marked with the (3/8) are replaceable and come in different "thicknesses", such as 5mm, 10mm, 3/8", 1/4", etc.
    Actually, they are integral to the pivot arm (not sure I'm using the proper terminology). see the different perspective attached. I think this may have been the first year of the full suspension stump jumper so they certainly have evolved the design since then.

Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    I would start by reaching out to Specialized and to Fox to see what they say.
    If anyone else in the world has a solution for you, it's these folks: https://www.enduroforkseals.com/prod...-bearing-kits/
    nice. didn't see anything farther back than 2001 on the endure site but its worth an ask.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Maintaining a '99 Stumpjumper - rear shock issue-img_2408.jpg  

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by .WestCoastHucker. View Post
    your shock should fit, you likely need different DU bushings
    The DU bushings are not too wide. The reducer pins and spacers are. The DU bushings are the part inside of the eyelet that the pin rotates on.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Yeah. Those 3/8" spacers are not spacers. They're both part of a link. He needs a shock that will fit between those two arms of the link.
    Do the math.

Pro Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    The DU bushings are not too wide. The reducer pins and spacers are. The DU bushings are the part inside of the eyelet that the pin rotates on.
    brain fart. i don't know what the hell i was thinking. i meant the reducer/spacers, but i didn't realize they were part of a link and not spacers to begin with...

the discerning hooligan
    Any good shop should be able to fit that for you...probably while you wait. Itís 10 minutes and maybe $20 for parts.

Edit... just bring both shocks with you.
    MERCY! MERCY! MERCY!

Pro Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by MOJO K View Post
    ...Itís 10 minutes and maybe $20 for parts.

Edit... just bring both shocks with you.
    parts? the existing shock eyelet space in the linkage is 1/2" wide and the new shock eyelet is 5/8" wide. are you going to trust the lbs to file down a new shock to fit?

(disclaimer: i in no way advocate filing the shock)
    Last edited by .WestCoastHucker.; 1 Week Ago at 12:00 PM. Reason: to clarify that you should never file down your shock

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    parts? the existing shock eyelet space in the linkage is 1/2" wide and the new shock eyelet is 5/8" wide. are you going to trust the lbs to file down a new shock to fit?
    Seems sketchy. Is that routinely done?

Pro Crastinator
    NO! Hell NO!

it was just a better explanation about what would need to be done. not simply a few dollars in parts...

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Cut open the Stumpys link. If you can't order the old style shock.
    oops I wasn't clipped in

Pro Crastinator
    or just use a bigger hammer

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I 'have to' add... Yes you guessed it, store the old bike and buy a 3yr old one. You will be amased!
    I (rarely) ride my old race bike, a 1999 Dakar, and while still fun it is so slow and sketchy compared to my other old bike from 2005. My favorite bike to ride is a '15, still 4yrs old, so I'm not a BUY NEW OR YOUR A FOOL type of idiot. Just a type of idiot who will urge a stranger or friend to get a 'current' bike for the trail, you won't regret spending the $$$.
    oops I wasn't clipped in

the discerning hooligan

Who said anything about altering the shock?

I had my shop swap a Fox for a Monarch last year. Yes it took 5 minutes, was done while I waited, and cost me nothing because they had parts in the spares...probably from when they changed out a RS to a Fox for the last guy.

I'm not going to look up what the correct kit/parts are because I suggested a shop do the work. It'll be something like one of these.
    https://www.worldwidecyclery.com/pag...endor=RockShox
    MERCY! MERCY! MERCY!

Pro Crastinator
    Who said anything about altering the shock?
    reading comprehension is your friend. don't be afraid to embrace it. go back and re-read his problem, then say your solution out loud so you can hear it and realize you are misunderstanding what his actual problem is...

think of it this way, you are suggesting that a different axle will make a 29" wheel fit into a 26" frame...

the discerning hooligan
    reading comprehension is your friend. don't be afraid to embrace it. go back and re-read his problem, then say your solution out loud so you can hear it and realize you are misunderstanding what his actual problem is...

think of it this way, you are suggesting that a different axle will make a 29" wheel fit into a 26" frame...
    You are right...it was actually my read on the picture that got me all wrong. Sorry.

I had thought the eyelet width was standard at 1/2 wide and spaced out for different mounting applications. I know that I/D has a couple sizes that they use.I cant find anything online about anyone using a different eyelet width.
    MERCY! MERCY! MERCY!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Why file the shock down in the first place? Be much easier to just file the standoffs instead. Quick 1/16th of each side and you're in business. Take no time at all.

Also, are you positive that you can't get a Fox rebuild kit for that shock? I thought those things were pretty standardized for many, many years.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

Pro Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by slapheadmofo View Post
    Why file the shock down in the first place?
    you wouldn't. it was tongue in cheek about having the bike shop install it for you...

Pro Crastinator
    ...I had thought the eyelet width was standard at 1/2 wide and spaced out for different mounting applications...
    this had always been my understanding as well. which is why i originally also suggested that new reducer pins was all he would need..

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    you wouldn't. it was tongue in cheek about having the bike shop install it for you...
    Gotcha.

Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

since 4/10/2009
    I can't believe that BETD is still around, but they've been making new linkages for old FSR bikes for many, many years. Looks like the one for this bike is out of stock, but might be worth reaching out to them to ask, anyway.

https://www.mountainbikecomponents.c...tions/linkages

That is, if you really can't source a rebuild kit for the original shock, and if you're not comfortable doing a DIY mod of the existing linkage to make a newer shock fit.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    I can't believe that BETD is still around, but they've been making new linkages for old FSR bikes for many, many years. Looks like the one for this bike is out of stock, but might be worth reaching out to them to ask, anyway.

https://www.mountainbikecomponents.c...tions/linkages
    thanks. Yea worth checking in with them.

Totally missed the humor in that one

Quote Originally Posted by jim c View Post
    I 'have to' add... Yes you guessed it, store the old bike and buy a 3yr old one. You will be amased!
    I (rarely) ride my old race bike, a 1999 Dakar, and while still fun it is so slow and sketchy compared to my other old bike from 2005. My favorite bike to ride is a '15, still 4yrs old, so I'm not a BUY NEW OR YOUR A FOOL type of idiot. Just a type of idiot who will urge a stranger or friend to get a 'current' bike for the trail, you won't regret spending the $$$.
    I did! I've gone through several used mtn bikes in the past couple years and am currently enjoying a Dragonslayer. It's just that the old bike still ain't bad and is worth more to me than what I could fetch for it.

Quote Originally Posted by slapheadmofo View Post
    Why file the shock down in the first place? Be much easier to just file the standoffs instead. Quick 1/16th of each side and you're in business. Take no time at all.

Also, are you positive that you can't get a Fox rebuild kit for that shock? I thought those things were pretty standardized for many, many years.
    That sounds like a reasonable approach. I have no idea how hard the metal for the standoffs are, though. does it shave right off? Anyone do this sort of thing before?

I bought this kit awhile back:

https://www.jensonusa.com/Fox-Shox-Float-Air-Sleeve-Kit

had one of the seals I needed but not the other. Fortunately, it had the one between the piston and the cylinder and it got me back my seal.

But yea, time to reach out to Fox.

all good feedback. thanks.

the discerning hooligan
    So I checked the bike I have in storage, a '99 FSR XC. The shock linkage is not at all like the Stumpjumper.

Is it possible that the Monarch that Hman tried had a 16mm kit already fitted, like a new/ take off part might? Doesn't much matter...

All he should need is a 6.5x 1.5 shock with the standard 1/2 inch wide eyelet and a propper DU bushing installed, right? I'd guess the 1/2" reducer bushing in the old shock is still good. Maybe there were a couple nylon/ Teflon washers in there between the eyelet and the link.
    MERCY! MERCY! MERCY!

Pro Crastinator
    Maintaining a '99 Stumpjumper - rear shock issue-s-l1600.jpg

here is a '99 stumpy link off the bike. if the sides are 3/8" like you say, it sure looks to be plenty more than 1/2" between the two..

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Hman0217 View Post
    That sounds like a reasonable approach. I have no idea how hard the metal for the standoffs are, though. does it shave right off? Anyone do this sort of thing before?
    I've busted out ye olde Dremel tool plenty of times and 'fixed' stuff with it.
    Assuming it's aluminum, so shouldn't be very hard at all.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

mtbr member
    Any suspension shop can rebuild that shock. The air seals are just orings and quad-rings.
    Owner of www.shockcraft.co.nz and NZ Manitou Agent.
    www.dougal.co.nz Suspension setup & tuning.
    SPV Devolve

the discerning hooligan
    I'd probably give this a shot if it were mine....

https://www.amazon.com/SR-Suntour-RA...2SN&th=1&psc=1
    MERCY! MERCY! MERCY!

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    So I checked the bike I have in storage, a '99 FSR XC. The shock linkage is not at all like the Stumpjumper.

Is it possible that the Monarch that Hman tried had a 16mm kit already fitted, like a new/ take off part might? Doesn't much matter...

All he should need is a 6.5x 1.5 shock with the standard 1/2 inch wide eyelet and a propper DU bushing installed, right? I'd guess the 1/2" reducer bushing in the old shock is still good. Maybe there were a couple nylon/ Teflon washers in there between the eyelet and the link.
    You may be correct. I wrote the folks at EnduroForkSeals.com and they replied:

"Thanks for contacting us. Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I appreciate the pics and the measurements. While a lot of things have changed, the actual width of the of the shock eyelet body, which you have labeled as ď1/2Ē has not changed. That is still the nominal measurement for that part of almost every shock on the marked. So, when you refer to your Monarch as being too wide where it connects to the lower yoke, I can only assume that you mean itís too wide as it was shipped with whatever hardware is pressed into the eyelet. If you were to remove everything from the eyelet, the width of the shock extension would be just under ĹĒ (0.499 or so)."

While I now regret returning the half-price-obtained new monarch shock that I had gotten my hands on, I think I have effectively answered, with all your help, that my rear shock is not in fact irreplaceable and that the old stumpy can live on well into the future.

Again, thanks for all the willingness to help.