Lyrik RC2 DH vs. Float RC2?- Mtbr.com
    Fat Skis/Fat Tires

Lyrik RC2 DH vs. Float RC2?

Why is it so difficult to find reviews on the 2012 models of either of these forks? You see them EVERYWHERE, yet aside from like 4 reviews of the Fox and ZERO reviews of the Lyrik here on MTBR, they seem to not exist.

Am I just not searching the right areas?

Anywho, I'm building a 2012 Turner 5 Spot and am trying to decide between the Float and the Lyrik, 160mm.

I'm 6' 4, 205lbs. and like a lot of resistance to brake dive, lots of small bump compliance, good rebound after loading the fork up, and a healthy amount of ramp up at the end of the travel.

I don't want to constantly be effing with the damn thing either; ain't nobody got time fo dat.

Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Can't help on '12 but I put a '11 Lyrik RC2 on my Butcher, I'm close to your size and its been great, dialled in the air pressure set up the rebound/compression and not touched it since.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I ran a 2011 Float 180 RC2 for a season and a half, and I'm dumping it for a coil Lyrik dh as of today.
    I don't believe there are any substantial changes between model years, definitely none for the chasis.

I suffered from the semi-bath oil migration issue the entirety of 2011, and had to rebuild the fork monthly to maintain proper bottom out performance. Fox finally fixed this issue last December by adding a scraper in addition to the air seal on the piston.

It's difficult to achieve 30% sag on this fork without having it dive. You can get it to have reasonable mid-stroke support, but at the cost of messing up your bike's geometry.

It is a very stiff fork, that's probably the best thing it has going for it. BUT, and this was the deal breaker for me, Fox's CSUs develop a creak at the stanchion crown interface. Cracking noises like this drive me insane, and don't inspire confidence through the chunder. I went through two CSU's and now I'm done.

It's a b!tch to service the damper. No doubt about it. I did it once successfully, but gave myself arthritis in the process. My buddy says he can change the damper oil in his Lyrik in 15 minutes, which is a huge selling point for me.

Rebound range is very good on this fork, the LSC range is not effective, and the HSC does its job.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by half_man_half_scab View Post
    I ran a 2011 Float 180 RC2 for a season and a half, and I'm dumping it for a coil Lyrik dh as of today.
    I don't believe there are any substantial changes between model years, definitely none for the chasis.

I suffered from the semi-bath oil migration issue the entirety of 2011, and had to rebuild the fork monthly to maintain proper bottom out performance. Fox finally fixed this issue last December by adding a scraper in addition to the air seal on the piston.

It's difficult to achieve 30% sag on this fork without having it dive. You can get it to have reasonable mid-stroke support, but at the cost of messing up your bike's geometry.

It is a very stiff fork, that's probably the best thing it has going for it. BUT, and this was the deal breaker for me, Fox's CSUs develop a creak at the stanchion crown interface. Cracking noises like this drive me insane, and don't inspire confidence through the chunder. I went through two CSU's and now I'm done.

It's a b!tch to service the damper. No doubt about it. I did it once successfully, but gave myself arthritis in the process. My buddy says he can change the damper oil in his Lyrik in 15 minutes, which is a huge selling point for me.

Rebound range is very good on this fork, the LSC range is not effective, and the HSC does its job.

I have the same experience you're talking about with my talas 160 where its hard to get the proper sag without it diving pretty badly. it hasnt been a huge issue because my bike seems to ride best settling into its travel a bit front and rear. its fine when you're charging through something, but when it gets technical or you need that support its pretty annoying.

im looking into a lyric as well as the 44 rc3 ti, and BOS Deville, leaning towards the BOS. id consider a push'd float 160 as well.

Members who have read this thread: 0