Lost a bit of float oil in fox shock, how bad is it?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2017

Lost a bit of float oil in fox shock, how bad is it?

Hi all,

So I had to let all the air out of my shock to adjust my bike geo flip chip and I at first tried letting it out by hand but the fraction of a second that I did covered my thumb and part of my finger in float oil. I cleaned it up and then used my shock pump to remove the rest of the air without issue. My question is, how bad is this? Do I need to resupply the oil now before I can ride? Will I notice a drop in ride quality or will it damage anything if I ride it now? I have a ride tomorrow and will be mega bummed if I need to cancel it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    I have noticed this everytime (rare) I have let all the air out-kinda a mist--if that is what happened----I doubt it is an issue---go ride in the morning and worry about it later it you think you need to--but if a ton came out then I have not seen that

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    It's not an issue. But you'll want to add a few ml back in eventually.

Get a little jug of the stuff, that way you can add a few ml twice a year or so. Will help keep things lubed as there is some loss over time

mtbr member
    It's nothing. There only needs to be enough to wet the seals, and no matter how much you let out of the valve, there will be. You'll see that next time you service the air can.

You should be using your shock pump's bleed valve to let air out. It lets it out slowly so less oil will get blown out and so that the neg chamber (usually) has time to equalize.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Awesome good to know that it's not going to be a huge issue. It's a new bike too so I assume it came loaded with extra oil too. It was a nice synthetic clean blueish green that i've seen at the shop in the service department. I'll be sure to use my shock pump from now on, I actually meant to do so that way I could know the PSI before bleeding it of air so I know what PSI to return to after servicing the bike. Just absentmindedly grabbed a small hex and pushed the pin for a fraction of a second and got blasted.

mtbr member
    You can't use the gauge on the pump to tell how much pressure was in the shock. When you attach it, air comes out of the shock to fill the pump's hose and gauge so that what you read on the gauge will be significantly less than what was in the shock. The gauge is only correct when you pump up the shock. When you remove the hose, the valve in the shock closes before air escapes so that the shock's pressure remains at what was set and it's only the air in the hose and pump that you are hearing escape.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    You can't use the gauge on the pump to tell how much pressure was in the shock. When you attach it, air comes out of the shock to fill the pump's hose and gauge so that what you read on the gauge will be significantly less than what was in the shock. The gauge is only correct when you pump up the shock. When you remove the hose, the valve in the shock closes before air escapes so that the shock's pressure remains at what was set and it's only the air in the hose and pump that you are hearing escape.
    I learn something new everyday.