Looking into new fork.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2004

New question here. Looking into new fork.

I currently in the market for a new fork, eventually, what I'm after is a fork that works well with a 2003 GT Ruckus I-drive 2.0, but no less than 5 inches of travel, the kind of riding I do:

Downhilling, trail riding with climbs and descents, some of the descents can be treacherous, and a lot of it is narrow single track, so I'm gonna want something that's stable.

Don't want an overly heavy fork either, but I want something that's plush. I was looking at the Rock Shox BOXXER Rider for 2006, and it seems to be what I'm looking for, anybody have experience with this fork?

Right now I currently have a 2004 Marzocchi Bomber Z.1 FR SL with 130 mm of travel, although this fork is nice, it's a pain to work with sometime having to have to adjust the positive air pressure because of the weather, going from hot to cold does that.

Thanks in advance for inputs.
    Anything worth doing is worth overdoing...

-Ricko, mtbr member

not so super...
    FWIW the Boxxer Ride is a 7lb+ fork. Not what I would call light weight.

Other options:

Pike
    Z1 Light ETA
    66SL
    Z1 SL
    AM SL
    66 Light ETA
    Nothing to see here.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SSINGA
    FWIW the Boxxer Ride is a 7lb+ fork. Not what I would call light weight.

Other options:
    Pike
    Z1 Light ETA
    66SL
    Z1 SL
    AM SL
    66 Light ETA
    I'm not really looking into getting another air fork, I already have one, it's good and all but I just don't want to have to put up with adjusting the air pressure all the time, so having a 7Ib fork isn't really going to bother me all that much, it's the unsprung weight that would kill me, such and tires and rims. right now I like the idea of having an adjustable 5 to 7 in travel fork, and the only one I know that can do that with out being too expensive in the BOXXER Ride. But if anyone has any suggestions, no air forks please, the Marzocchi Z.1 Light ETA is close to what I want, but it has air side in the fork, which I'm not really wanting to go with, and I want something that is also has an advance damping like the RC2. Thanks.

-Ricko, mtbr member

Over the Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by WeylessXPRider
    I'm not really looking into getting another air fork, I already have one, it's good and all but I just don't want to have to put up with adjusting the air pressure all the time, so having a 7Ib fork isn't really going to bother me all that much, it's the unsprung weight that would kill me, such and tires and rims. right now I like the idea of having an adjustable 5 to 7 in travel fork, and the only one I know that can do that with out being too expensive in the BOXXER Ride. But if anyone has any suggestions, no air forks please, the Marzocchi Z.1 Light ETA is close to what I want, but it has air side in the fork, which I'm not really wanting to go with, and I want something that is also has an advance damping like the RC2. Thanks.
    The Z1 Light ETA has the RC2.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Yeah it does, and I know that, but the fact remains the same, it's a part air part coil hybrid, which I am not to sure about at all. Anyone ever riden this fork, what it's like, is it like doppio air? pos and neg air chambers? Is it prone to change Air spring rate like my 2004 Z.1 FR SL due to weather conditions?

-Ricko, mtbr member

Over the Hill
    Yeah it does, and I know that, but the fact remains the same, it's a part air part coil hybrid, which I am not to sure about at all. Anyone ever riden this fork, what it's like, is it like doppio air? pos and neg air chambers? Is it prone to change Air spring rate like my 2004 Z.1 FR SL due to weather conditions?
    Have had one on my 2003 5-Spot. It is my first Zocci so I can not compare it to the others you mentioned. The air preload is to setup the sag. No pos/neg air. After getting the air where I liked it have not touched air settings.

It is mucho better then the Fox Vanilla 125 and the Maverick DUC it replaced it

not so super...
    Going from a mid 5 pound fork to a mid 7 lb fork will make a big difference, as will the reduced turning radius of a dual crown.

The new Zocchi air system works well.
    Nothing to see here.

conjoinicorned
    just get a 150mm Z1 (the non air version).
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

Elitest thrill junkie
    the Marzocchi Z.1 Light ETA is close to what I want, but it has air side in the fork
    It's not like an air fork.

The amount of air that is required in these forks is just a couple of psi, not that much at all. It's not under high pressure, and it doesn't leak out because of that. It's not like using an air-shock/fork.

It's not like "doppio air". It's just positive pressure via the schrader cap in the top. It's as simple as can be.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ferday
    just get a 150mm Z1 (the non air version).
    You must have not been listening when I said that I wanted a fork that travel adjust so that I can adjust for different riding styles and situations. Not to mention it comes with SSV damping, which I do not want because it's prone to compression spikes which I certainly do not need for when I go downhilling, definitely not friendly when you going over washboard.

Does anyone know if this fork uses HSCV? or is Marzocchi using something different these days?

-Ricko, mtbr member

mtbr member
    May 2005

z1 or 66 light eta

thats right ...the air adjustment is just an "extra" adjustment to use it in the trail (preload). In my case I just set up some heavier oil in one leg and everything is perfect. The z1 light eta and the 66 light eta are spring forks wiht extra air adjustment, thats it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I can tell you 2lb. up front is noticable for trail use. I have a 2005 Z1 FR 150 dual coil (air preload as well) I can switch to a 7lb. 7" travel Super T and it changes the nature of my ride. DC fork is really plush but there is a lot of pedal induced movement when just pedalling down the trail and the front end just feels heavy. On the flip side the Z1 pedals well and feels super light and balanced on my 01' Bullit. Personally, most people I knew that used Psylo's w/ the U turn just put them @ one travel and left them set. If you are doing more trail a long travel sc fork is fine if you are really in heavy rock gardens or hucking more a DC is where to be.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Thanks guys for the info, think I may end up with a Marzocchi Bomber Z.1 Light ETA. Eventually.

-Ricko, mtbr member

Members who have read this thread: 0