Looking for a fork for a older bike. Give me some ideas on which models 2 look 4- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Looking for a fork for a older bike. Give me some ideas on which models 2 look 4

My son recently moved up from a 24" to a 26" bike. We took all the parts off my dad's old bike and restored a old Klein frame for him to use.

I'm hoping to keep him on this bike for at least a year (until he grows big enough to fit into a size S bike) then we can start looking at 27.5's and newer bikes for him. The bike works great but he really could use a wider bar for more leverage and therefor a shorter stem. Since we can't just throw on a new stem that means he would have to get a "new" fork.

I stopped riding in the late 90's and didn't pick it back up until recently so there is a big gap in my fork knowledge. What fork could I pick up that would fit a 1 1/8" threadless setup that wouldn't throw the geometry too much off on a older frame built around the 63mm Quadra 21 R? I'm looking for something reliable that I would be able to get parts to rebuild if required that could be fit for a rider around 80lbs. Any thought on a good late 90's early 2k ~80mm travel fork that could be had cheap that would work with a light weight rider?
    -DeoreDX

mtbr member
    What kind of hub on the front wheel? What is the width of the hub on the front wheel? There is a ton of lower end, 1-1/8 straight steerer, rim brake, 26 inch forks for sale for cheap, newer than late 90s or early 2000s. Most are QR axles, but that was the standard for a long time. Personally, I wouldn't bother looking for a better fork that can be rebuilt. It will have no value once he outgrows the bike. Geometry is old, technology is old. I'd put that weirdo fork back on it and try to sell it to a collector who wants it for nostalgic reasons. For example:

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I put Rockshox Recon Silver TK forks on both my son's and my hardtails. About $250.
    Has canti brake bosses, air spring, decent damper.
    Usually comes set to 100mm, but you can add spacers to drop it to 80mm.
    Edited to add: it isn't cheap, but it is a nice fork for the price.

Bob