a little oil came out my cane creek double barrel- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

a little oil came out my cane creek double barrel

i was playing with the adjustments and i guess i turned one of the large hex nut a liitle too far and a little oil came out! is this bad, or maybe i shouldnt worry about it?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    call CC.

mtbr member
    do you i might have to send it in?

wyrd bi ful rd
    put a link in the 'nicolai' thread, as a lot of the riders there use the CCDB, someone might be able to help you ...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Oil is supposed to stay in a coil shock. If the shock is past Cane Creek's service interval it would be wise to send it in - they will likely say the same. I have a CCDB and after seasons of use & adjustment not a drop of oil anywhere.

mtbr member
    I called and emailed waiting for a response, anyone what they would charge?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by david8613 View Post
    I called and emailed waiting for a response, anyone what they would charge?
    You should definitely check with Cane Creek but most likely it's nothing to worry about. If the shock has been serviced recently, sometimes the first time you move the adjusters a little bit of oil comes out. It's not oil that was in the damper, just some left over from the service that got trapped behind the adjusters. Try closing the adjusters and opening them up again, if no more oil leaks out you should be good to go. If on the other hand you keep getting oil out of those knobs there may be something wrong with your shock.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by nybike1971 View Post
    You should definitely check with Cane Creek but most likely it's nothing to worry about. If the shock has been serviced recently, sometimes the first time you move the adjusters a little bit of oil comes out. It's not oil that was in the damper, just some left over from the service that got trapped behind the adjusters. Try closing the adjusters and opening them up again, if no more oil leaks out you should be good to go. If on the other hand you keep getting oil out of those knobs there may be something wrong with your shock.
    My shock was rebuilt a few months ago and again no oil @ all from the adjusters. Cane Creek charged me $135 for the overhaul. Just call CC and ask for Malcom.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by david8613 View Post
    i was playing with the adjustments and i guess i turned one of the large hex nut a liitle too far and a little oil came out! is this bad, or maybe i shouldnt worry about it?
    You already got good advices - oil volume is rather low and every drop outside is too much. When turned hex-nut too far open, did the O-ring there came out too? Check that, probably there`s no O-ring left...

Perpetual Hack
    Quote Originally Posted by nybike1971 View Post

This is my experience.

CCDB - no oil around adjusters when moved.
    Sent in to CC for a rebuild and addition of the new valves.
    Received shock back, turned adjusters and got a bit of oil.
    Cycled the adjusters a few times, wiped up excess oil.
    Now everything is nice and dry when adjusting.

I would still call Malcolm...

just me experience

michael

mtbr member
    this is exactly what happened, i wanted to bring my shock to standard settings and i must have turned one of the adjusters a bit to far, shock was upside down, duh! anyway the adjuster popped out for quick second and some oil spilled, enough that some fell on my carpet, but shock seems to feel fine to me. i spoke to gary via email he said not worry, thats just excess oil i should be fine...

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by mykel View Post
    This is my experience.

CCDB - no oil around adjusters when moved.
    Sent in to CC for a rebuild and addition of the new valves.
    Received shock back, turned adjusters and got a bit of oil.
    Cycled the adjusters a few times, wiped up excess oil.
    Now everything is nice and dry when adjusting.

I would still call Malcolm...

just me experience

michael
    Well i guess this is normal. I had brand new shock and once i turn the adjuster on the rebound all the way out i had a drop of oil coming out. I got scared and i stopped. I spoke with the support team and they said it should be OK. Just some information for every one to know. This valves a have a limit once the limit is reached they should not be forced . The limit is very clear and turning needs to be done slowly and easy . I like the tool but it can give you a bit to much leverage.