Which is lightest - 36Van or 06 Z1 Light?- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    98

    Which is lightest - 36Van or 06 Z1 Light?

    This may sound like a stupid question but I've been lead to believe that manufacturers are compulsive liars when it comes to the true weights of forks.

    I've heard rumours the some dont include the steerer weight or weigh the fork without oil.

    I'm looking at 2 forks in particular for a 06 enduro I'm building and was wondering which is the lightest and what the actual weights are of the forks.

    Can anyone tell me the true weights of the Fox 36 Vanilla and the 06 Z1 Light?

    Thanks in advance.
    I don't care if I'm the last to the top and the last to the bottom. Just as long as I look damn good doing it!

  2. #2
    Feeding your addiction
    Reputation: Ventanarama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    2,648
    Quote Originally Posted by MagnumPI
    This may sound like a stupid question but I've been lead to believe that manufacturers are compulsive liars when it comes to the true weights of forks.

    I've heard rumours the some dont include the steerer weight or weigh the fork without oil.

    I'm looking at 2 forks in particular for a 06 enduro I'm building and was wondering which is the lightest and what the actual weights are of the forks.

    Can anyone tell me the true weights of the Fox 36 Vanilla and the 06 Z1 Light?

    Thanks in advance.
    I can get you exact weights on both today, I have them in stock. I've weighed them both but didn't write it down. They are very close though, not enough weight difference to affect the decision to go one way or the other. Both are very nice forks. The differences that seem to sway people toward one are...36 is stiffer and has 10mm more travel, Z1 has adjustable travel (not on they fly though), & ETA to lower the fork for climbing.
    Larry Mettler
    http://www.mtnhighcyclery.com
    "It is inhumane, in my opinion, to force people who have a genuine medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently view it as some kind of recreational activity". - Dave Barry

  3. #3
    TNC
    TNC is offline
    noMAD man
    Reputation: TNC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,059

    On the 36 Van...

    Quote Originally Posted by MagnumPI
    This may sound like a stupid question but I've been lead to believe that manufacturers are compulsive liars when it comes to the true weights of forks.

    I've heard rumours the some dont include the steerer weight or weigh the fork without oil.

    I'm looking at 2 forks in particular for a 06 enduro I'm building and was wondering which is the lightest and what the actual weights are of the forks.

    Can anyone tell me the true weights of the Fox 36 Vanilla and the 06 Z1 Light?

    Thanks in advance.
    It is 5lbs., 9oz. or 5.57lbs. depending on how you want to state it. That's with uncut steerer and the 20mm axle. Fox advertises 5.45lbs. You kinda have to watch out also whether the company or individuals are use 10ths of lbs. or actual oz. when stating weights. We haven't weighed any '06 Z1s.

  4. #4

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    710
    Didn't Tcheesy weigh the Z1 Light?

    I think I recal it being around 5.5-5.6 lbs with steerer and axle.

    If anything, get the Z1 because it looks cool and is cheaper. As long as you're not a total hucker hack, the z1 should be plenty fork. It's also nice the this year's z1 has TAS 130-150mm alolng with RC2damping. I think AEBIKE.COM has them on sale for $630!!!! That's pretty damn cheap considering these forks just hit stores and are going for close to $800 everywhere else.

    Onc e I get my 66SL I'm going to order a set of white lowers!

    EDIT: You might also want to consider the 66SL. It has a pretty low AtoC and can be adjusted from 150-170mm and lower if you really want to climb or ride XC. It weighs a real weight of under 5.8 lbs. Not enough of a difference to tell between it and a Van 36 weight wise. I'm also going to go out on a short limb here and say the 66 SL should be more bomb proof than the Van 36. Both weight the same, but the SL has an air spring. This means they put more weight into other parts of the 66SL like the crown, stanchions, and lowers.
    Last edited by Robot Chicken; 11-21-2005 at 09:46 AM.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    98

    Can't decide!!

    TNC - Thanks, so Fox are pretty much spot on with thier weights then.

    Larry - If it's to within a few grams difference then I've got a hard decision on my hands. They are about the same price too. I suppose after that it comes down to performance.

    How much more stiffer are the Fox's? I'm using Pikes at the moment, are the Z1's as stiff as them? What about small bump performance?

    I must admit I like the look of the Fox's more. I dont know it I want white forks. Then again, the Z1's have ETA which will definately come in handy. But, the Z1's look like they have more tuning options.

    Oh, I'm really confused now!
    I don't care if I'm the last to the top and the last to the bottom. Just as long as I look damn good doing it!

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    98
    Quote Originally Posted by Robot Chicken
    Didn't Tcheesy weigh the Z1 Light?

    I think I recal it being around 5.5-5.6 lbs with steerer and axle.

    If anything, get the Z1 because it looks cool and is cheaper. As long as you're not a total hucker hack, the z1 should be plenty fork. It's also nice the this year's z1 has TAS 130-150mm alolng with RC2damping. I think AEBIKE.COM has them on sale for $630!!!! That's pretty damn cheap considering these forks just hit stores and are going for close to $800 everywhere else.

    Onc e I get my 66SL I'm going to order a set of white lowers!

    EDIT: You might also want to consider the 66SL. It has a pretty low AtoC and can be adjusted from 150-170mm and lower if you really want to climb or ride XC. It weighs a real weight of under 5.8 lbs. Not enough of a difference to tell between it and a Van 36 weight wise. I'm also going to go out on a short limb here and say the 66 SL should be more bomb proof than the Van 36. Both weight the same, but the SL has an air spring. This means they put more weight into other parts of the 66SL like the crown, stanchions, and lowers.

    Robot Chicken - I think the 66's might be too much fork for me really. I want to build a light-ish trail/aggro bike that I can ride all day and still take to the Alps for a good thrashing.

    I cant believe the weight of the 66 sl's though. That is crazy light for a DH/FR fork.
    I don't care if I'm the last to the top and the last to the bottom. Just as long as I look damn good doing it!

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: CrashTheDOG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,513
    You can check out my post on the Z1 Light here. Mine came in at 5.66 lbs with the axel and an uncut steertube. I had intended to get a 36 Vanillla, but decided I wanted the travel adjustment that the TAS and ETA have to offer, and after such poor performance from the 36 Talas I was hesitant to try another 1st generation Fox fork, particularly at $800+. The external compression adjustment on the Light is also a killer feature allowing you to quickly tailor the fork to riding conditions.

  8. #8
    Bodhisattva
    Reputation: The Squeaky Wheel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    10,708
    Quote Originally Posted by MagnumPI
    How much more stiffer are the Fox's? I'm using Pikes at the moment, are the Z1's as stiff as them? What about small bump performance?
    Pike is stiffer than the Z1.
    36 is stiffer than Pike.
    Pike is just as supple as Z1 but gives up some travel. Pike is also 5lbs.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    98

    Leaning towards the Z1

    CTD - Read your review, thanks.

    Squeak - You arent making my decision any easier but I'm swaying towards the Z1's now. I didnt know they had TAS and all the other stuff. Sounds like a tinkerers dream. The Fox only have rebound. Plus, the Z1's sound as if they are fully user serviceable?

    I guess I'll probably go for the Z1's and get used to the colour.

    Now to get rid of the Pikes and start saving!

    Thanks for all your help everyone.
    I don't care if I'm the last to the top and the last to the bottom. Just as long as I look damn good doing it!

  10. #10
    Feeding your addiction
    Reputation: Ventanarama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    2,648

    36 Vanilla is lighter

    Quote Originally Posted by MagnumPI
    CTD - Read your review, thanks.

    Squeak - You arent making my decision any easier but I'm swaying towards the Z1's now. I didnt know they had TAS and all the other stuff. Sounds like a tinkerers dream. The Fox only have rebound. Plus, the Z1's sound as if they are fully user serviceable?

    I guess I'll probably go for the Z1's and get used to the colour.

    Now to get rid of the Pikes and start saving!

    Thanks for all your help everyone.
    Z1 Light is 5.62lbs, 36 Vanilla RC2 is 5.54lbs, both weighed with axle.

    Larry Mettler
    http://www.mtnhighcyclery.com
    "It is inhumane, in my opinion, to force people who have a genuine medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently view it as some kind of recreational activity". - Dave Barry

  11. #11
    TNC
    TNC is offline
    noMAD man
    Reputation: TNC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,059

    Incorrect Larry.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ventanarama
    Z1 Light is 5.62lbs, 36 Vanilla RC2 is 5.54lbs, both weighed with axle.

    Larry Mettler
    http://www.mtnhighcyclery.com
    I'm sure the Van was 5.57lbs...LOL! Hey that's pretty close for comparison's sake, isn't it? I think there was some extra glue on my decals to achieve that three 1/100ths of a pound. On a serious note though, I'm pretty darned impressed with the Van 36 on my Bullit. It's hard to see how they get this much fork in a 5.5lb. package.

  12. #12

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    710
    Quote Originally Posted by Ventanarama
    Z1 Light is 5.62lbs, 36 Vanilla RC2 is 5.54lbs, both weighed with axle.

    Larry Mettler
    http://www.mtnhighcyclery.com
    That alone should be a clear indication that the 36 forks have incredibly thin side walls. They are stiff and strong but I can't imagine them being as dent proof as the Zoke z1 light.

    z1s are pretty darn stiff forks for 95% of the riders out there looking for a heavy duty trail fork and not intending to huck huge.

    I personally think the white Marzocchi forks this year are orgasmic! Pure sex!

    I will be humping my 66sl fork by next week Bar humping that is!


    Edit: now that I think of it, the z1 is about the most dent resistant fork I've ever seen. Plenty of my buddies ride them on North Shore and crashed them into everything imaginable. Not one of them has been broken, dented, or severely scratched.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    868
    Quote Originally Posted by Robot Chicken
    That alone should be a clear indication that the 36 forks have incredibly thin side walls. They are stiff and strong but I can't imagine them being as dent proof as the Zoke z1 light.
    Hmmm.....using the weights listed above, that is a difference of 0.08 pounds, or
    1 ounce, or 36 grams.

    Folks, we are talking about the approx. equivalent weight of 5 US quarters!!

    I might be going out on a limb here, but I'd say they weigh pretty much the same.

  14. #14
    just along for the ride
    Reputation: Brown_Teeth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,033
    All about the damping at that level, flex is not the issue. But 5 quarters is like 1/2f of one beer?

  15. #15

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    710
    Quote Originally Posted by deoreo
    Hmmm.....using the weights listed above, that is a difference of 0.08 pounds, or
    1 ounce, or 36 grams.

    Folks, we are talking about the approx. equivalent weight of 5 US quarters!!

    I might be going out on a limb here, but I'd say they weigh pretty much the same.
    sorry I didn't explain more.

    It has to do with how wide the stanchions and lowers are for 36mm stanchions. In order to achieve a similar weight to the z1 they must use thinner materials to retain a lightweight fork.


Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.